Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
248
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,078

One In A Sixty-Five Million Chance

Summary:

Summary: It's coming.

Work Text:

One In A Sixty-Five Million Chance
by Lopaka Tanu

 

The skies were lit with the streaks of a dying heavenly body. Across the city, alarms and gun shots echoed. People screamed, cried out for a rescue that would never come. New York knew that she was dying. Her people refused to accept that even now.

Above it all, Peter stood upon the roof of the Empire State Building. As he watched, a burning cloud slammed in to the bay. Tidal waves rippled over the sea wall in to the city. Some alarms were silenced, people washed away.

Across the river, parts of Queens vaporized in another impact. The shock wave sent debris and a scorching wave of heat across the city.

He had to close his eyes to keep the flash from blinding him. When he opened them again, the winds were buffeting his hair about his face. By now, most of the city was silent. A few remaining people screamed for help from the higher windows.

Tuning out the sounds, Peter focused his senses upon the brilliant lights streaking across the night sky. The first wave was drawing to a close. A second wave would arrive by midnight. Then, the third group of much larger pieces. Finally, the main body of the asteroid would impact.

There was nothing anybody could do. Earth was doomed.

Putting the bottle to his lips, Peter sipped at his beer.

As a particularly bright cloud came rushing towards him, a great plume of smoke rising from its wake, he smiled.


THE END....................