Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
710
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
17
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,284

My Milkshake

Summary:

Chris is making his deliveries.

Work Text:


My Milkshake.
by Lopaka Tanu

 

Whistling to himself, Chris shifted the basket of bottles to his left hand so he could reach over the fence with his right. Opening the latch was easy enough, all he had to do was lift the lock and pull it back. The old white gate whined in protest as he pushed it open.

Stepping inside the yard, he kept to the stone path. Turning around, he closed the gate behind him. When he faced the house again, the front door was already open. Sighing to himself, he plastered on a fake smile.

The top three buttons on her blouse open, Mary reached up to check her hair. Finding it in the same arrangement as it was twenty seconds ago, she smiled. Batting her eyes lashes, waited for Chris to make his way up the walk.

Chris didn't disappoint her. Picking up his pace, he put a little more flex in the muscles of his legs and chest as he walked. He knew he had succeeded by the way she colored about her cheeks and ears. Mary was always one of his easiest customers.

After thumping his cap, he reached in to his metal basket. He pulled out the quart jar and held it out to her as he came to a stop.

"Come to give it to me again?" Taking it from him, Mary allowed her fingers to linger on his. As she pulled back, the tips slid over his palm. Her smile turned coy.

Chris couldn't fake a smile for her, so he merely nodded. For several moment he stood there staring at her. When that didn't work, he cleared his throat. "Can I get it now?"

"Any time." She started to smile when he pointed at her chest. "What?" That stopped real quick when she saw what he was pointing at. "Oh. Yes." Mary tried not to sound too disappointed when she handed over her empty milk bottle. Still, her sigh echoed in the doorway.

Stuffing the bottle in to his basket, Chris nodded to her. "Thank you, Ma'am." With that, he spun and walked back to the fence. He was so relieved to have that delivery done with, he felt he could have jumped the gate. But, he didn't risk it.

Since she was the last delivery on the block, he didn't bother going to the back of his truck. Climbing in the cab, he dropped down in the seat. He pulled the parking brake out. A half second later, the truck started in to gear.

Guiding it down the end of the street, he hit the accelerator. The engine rumbled along almost happily sounding as he turned up the next street. Chris felt his own spirits rising.

Pulling his truck up to the curb, Chris checked his mirrors. Satisfied it was in no danger, he turned off the engine. Checking his own appearance in the rear view mirror, Chris adjusted his bowtie. Satisfied all was in place, he reached down in to his basket.

The last bottle had a big red ribbon around the neck. The insides were pink, a special strawberry blend he had hand made. Climbing out of his truck, he slid the door shut. Unlike before, the lock clicked in to place.

He took a stabilizing breath before he turned to face the house. There was no fence around this place. The yard was due for a mowing and the shrubs looked like they hadn't been clipped in months. Despite all that, the person inside that had his heart beating.

There was almost a spring in his step as he walked up the brick path. Like before, the door opened long before he reached it. Unlike before, Chris gave the person in the doorway an encouraging smile, this one very much real.

Standing in the doorway, his hair hanging half in his face, Vin grinned back at Chris. As Chris walked up on to the front stoop, Vin stepped back to let him in the house.

Chris hesitated on the stoop. He idly thought of playing with the bottle. That idea went out the window when Vin grabbed the front of his shirt and jerked him inside.

The door closed behind them with a resounding thump.

Standing on the corner, a horrified Mary dropped her bottle of milk.

 

THE END