Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
505
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,247

Fare Offer

Summary:

Anders learns why Felix only plays once a week.

Work Text:

Fare Offer
by Lopaka Tanu

 

(CARDS)

Checking his stack, Sam picks up three gold cubits. Tossing them on the pile, he sighed. Even with a full run of Tritons, he is the underdog in this match. It's the first time he's been at the back of the pack with this group. Not that the pilots suddenly developed any skills.

No, the entire blame lies with their new ringer.

Raising an eyebrow, he looked over the tops of his cards at Felix Gaeta. The man was as shrewd as he was deadly when it came to this game. Out of the last ten hands, he had won three of them. At a table of seven players, that was pretty good.

Especially since more than half the cubits were forming high rises at his finger tips. Not even his lips twitched as he matched Sam's bet, then added four more of his own. Setting them neatly in the center of the pot, he looked in askance at Sam.

Glancing down at his cards, then his stack, Sam debated calling him. He had a seven high run, but with the lowest suit. His chips were at one-eighth strength, with little reserves. There would be no drinks in the catena for a week if he called and lost the bet.

He looked over to his left, watching Kara. She was watching him with an amused smirk.

No help there.

Smirking, he picked up the last of his cubits. Drumming them against the table, he tried to make it seem that he was being cocky.

Gaeta merely stared back at him.

With an exaggerated sigh, he put the cubits in the pile. "All right, Felix, time to show me what you've got." Laying down his hand, Sam made sure to flare the cards. "Full run, Tritons, Seven high. Beat that!"

"Easily." Putting down his cards one at a time, Felix watched Sam for a reaction.

With each card laid, Sam felt his triumph fall. "A Trireme." The others were loudly reacting, but all Sam could see were the cards. It wasn't fair. He had been winning. A handful of cubits being pushed his way woke him from his stupor. Looking up, he found Felix watching him.

"Consider it a loan." Divvying out the cubits to the other players, he kept the same neutral expression. As they accepted, they each nodded. When his stacks were gone, he stood up and nodded. "A lovely game. I will be by to collect over the next week."

"Any time." Raising her drink, Kara winked at him.

The others did the same, varying their reactions.

Confused, Sam watched him go until he was out of the Pilot's berth. That done, he turned to Kara in question. "What was that about?"

She snorted. "Gaeta's painfully shy, this is way of asking for a little fun." Taking a sip of her drink, she let a sly smile play over lips. Swallowing, she licked her lips. "If you're interested, I'm sure we can work off our debts together."

Sam stared down at the cubits in shock.

 

end