Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,148
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,270

Just Add Water

Summary:

When it gets boring, just add water.

Work Text:



Just Add Water
by batmouse

Ned Malone was kneeling before a flat stone, with four rough carved stubs that served as legs, and was working another long tubular stone back and forth over its surface, grinding deep brown roasted beans into fine grains for later use as the coffee that everyone in the tree house had come to love. He thought it only right for him to be the one to grind the coffee beans, since he was the one to get everyone addicted the dark brown liquid. At least, he liked the smell of fresh ground coffee. If they had Marguerite grinding the coffee, they’d be hearing her complaints all day long . . . or at least until someone got tired of listening to her and wanted to or tried to put her out of their misery.

Malone looked so industrious, grinding a way at the coffee stone. Back when they first started making their own coffee, Malone and Summerlee had gone back to the Zanga village and bartered for another grinding stone. There was no sense having all their food tasting of coffee, though Malone wouldn’t’ve minded, but he would’ve been alone in that thought.

He’d decided that he’d grind enough for a few days supply, but had now intended to grind a lot more so they’d have coffee for a few weeks. He’d discovered that a woman in the Zanga village had made containers to keep food fresh and had bartered for a few of the clay jars.

Since the day was so hot, he was working shirtless. His naked torso was glistening with a fine film of sweat, which caught the sunlight as it came through the big tree’s leafy shade, enhancing the definitions of his muscles and making him look tempting to any passing letch . .

Right at the moment, there were better things that Malone could be doing . . .

He decided that Malone was an excellent subject to practice his stalking skills on. The young blonde American would make a fine victim for him to prey upon. He also enjoyed the way Malone yelped in surprise, when something unexpected attacked and subdued him. Of course, he reasoned, it was also a good way to keep his own hunting skills in top condition. It was also a chance for them to keep their senses sharp and endurance levels in top condition and reinforce the jungle truth that one must always be alert or one could end up dead.

Veronica paused, when she saw him filling a bucket with water and shook her head. She knew what he was up to and considered letting Malone know what was about to happen to him . . . but, with a smile, opted not to. It just might be fun to watch the fall out. It had been a few quiet days, no one had had any adventures and maybe a little excitement might liven the place up. At least, just for a short time.

As soon as she thought it, she regretted that thought. Ever since the adventurers had arrived, it seemed that they all had adventures left and right. She also saw parts of the plateau she’d never seen or been to before. She wondered if she were getting addicted to the excitement of having the outlanders around and all the interesting things they got into . . .

With a smile, she moved off to find herself a good vantage point with which to watch the show.

This would teach Malone to let his guard down, even around the tree house, behind the safety of the electrified fence. He couldn’t help grinning as he crept closer . . . and closer . . . and closer . . .aaannd . . .

“ARRRRRRRGH!!!” Somehow, the bucket of cold water had leapt out of his hands and he got doused with its cold contents.

“You taught me better than that, Lord John!” Malone hooted with laughing eyes, as the thoroughly wet English Lord tried to come to grips with the fact that his trick had backfired . . . all over him, “How does it feel, getting a bucket of cold water over the head, Roxton?”

“Cold, Ned. Very, very cold.” Roxton said in his most reasonable voice, which should’ve been Malone’s first clue, “I guess that’ll teach me to train you too well . . . except there’s one thing you’ve forgotten.”

“What’s that?” Malone’s voice was full of laughter.

“I always made sure that I had an escape route!”

“Uhh . . . now, wait a minute . . .” Malone held up a finger as if to make a point. He looked around like a cute little boy caught with the sugar bowl. He took a step one way and then bolted the other, passing an unprepared John Roxton, charging for the gate out of the fenced yard. He snatched up his rifle and shirt as he ran for his life.

“Malone!” Roxton shouted bloody murder and gave chase, “You’d best run fast and far, Neddy-Boy! Because when I catch you, I’m going to tan that pure white pelt of yours like it’s never been tanned before!”

“The key word there, Roxton, is catching me!” Malone called over his shoulder, grinning and running for all his was worth, “I’ve got a good head start on you!”

“Head start or not, Malone,” Roxton took off in hot pursuit as Malone vanished amid the trees, “I will catch you!”

“You talk a good chase, Roxton!” Malone’s voice echoed, already growing distant.

“And you’ll scream loud and long when I get my hands on you!” It was Roxton’s turn to vanish into the jungle.

Veronica smile to herself. It really didn’t matter that Malone had a head start or where he went, there was only one place they always ended up. They’d wind up at the grotto, where the swimming pool was located. Where they’d spend a good part of the day, splashing about in the cool clear water, thoroughly enjoying themselves.

She thought about joining them, but remembered her own favorite waterfall. That would be a good way to cool off herself. Besides, the two men played games that were best played only by two. And she didn’t want to intrude on their alone time.

She wondered if the men knew that they weren’t fooling anyone. Whenever they took off like that, it meant they wanted to avoid boring work and disappear for one of their leisurely swims until it cooled off and they could finish the smaller duties in the cool of the evening. To be honest, they did their fair share of the boring stuff before they’d pull their trick.

Veronica smiled again. It wasn’t a bad way to fight the heat of the hot afternoon. Just add water.

 
th' end f'now . . .
Email: batmoused1st@yahoo.com