Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
4,014
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,003

The Rogue

Summary:

Captain Jack Harkness is ex-Military Intelligence, cut loose after the capture of Napoleon. Disillusioned by the actions of those in power he now makes a living conning those he holds responsible. At a weekend party Jack encounters the mysterious Doctor Smith and his assistant, Rose Tyler. Mistaking them for agents of the Home Office he tries to con them and finds himself caught up in their search for missing widow Melinda Anderson and her son, Alexander.

Work Text:

The Rogue
by Lilithangel

 

Captain Jack Harkness surveyed the room looking for his next mark. The title had been true once even if the name wasn’t. He’d found that people trusted captains over lower ranks and that anything higher brought too much attention, so happily kept the rank they’d taken from him.

Across the room he saw the mysterious Doctor Smith and his young and rather attractive ‘assistant’ Rose. Everything about the mysterious Doctor screamed Home Office and that was perfect for his latest con.

Treasures and papers from the defeated army of Napoleon, sequestered away in a house outside of the city. He had a document in his room to support his claim and a cover story to explain his possession. An accidental fire in a few days would wipe out the supposed stash after he’d received down payment and maybe he’d buy the good Doctor a drink to commiserate.

It was dangerous playing the game with Home Office agents but that just made it all the more fun. Jack had already taken two down payments from other interested parties and one more would get him to Rome with a tidy nest egg to start his own gaming saloon. Not the auspicious career he’d imagined five years ago when he’d joined Wellington’s army, but all his illusions had been quickly shattered and now all he wanted was money and a few thrills to get him through the day.

Rose would be no hardship to seduce into his plan. He’d much rather make a play for the darkly attractive Doctor but there was no time to find out if it was worth the risk, so the sweet young Rose would have to do.

He watched with interest when she slipped away from the Doctor who was talking intently with the host and another guest.

Jack headed out of the ballroom via the concealed alcove he had already identified. It had access to a balcony and from there to the gardens and the very convenient hedge maze. He wandered around the side of the house in time to see a rather nice looking bottom halfway up a tree.

As he ambled closer, admiring the view he realised she was trying to peep into the bedroom of one of the guests, Major Anderson. He really hoped the young major was under investigation for behaviour during the war. Jack had given up trying to care about the craven behaviour of many of the so-called Officers and Gentlemen of Wellington’s army, but some behaviour still irked.

Jack had already made his offer to the major as well but figured the Crown would be able to offer more money with the added benefit of some pleasant flirting.

It seemed the young lady might be in some difficulty so he picked up the pace just in time for her to fall into his arms.

Rose slipped off the branch thanks to the slippers she had insisted on wearing. The Doctor had warned her but she had wanted to fit in (and maybe dance). Of course she hadn’t planned on climbing any trees either, but she’d seen the major was occupied with a young debutante and decided to take advantage of the moment.

Now she was dangling from a branch with her underthings exposed for anyone to see. Not that that would matter when she hit the ground. She lost her grip and fell with a scream, only to be caught by a pair of rather strong arms attached to a rather powerful body. Twinkling blue eyes looked down at her and she blushed.

“Hello,” the vision said.

“Hello,” she echoed.

“This has to be the nicest thing to fall into my hands in a long time,” the vision added.

“Hello,” she said again and blushed, “I’ve already said that haven’t I?”

“Yes you have,” Jack said with a laugh as he let her stand without letting go of his grip around her waist.

“Captain Jack Harkness, at your service, Miss Tyler,” Jack said.

“You know who I am?” Rose said with surprise.

“Who doesn’t know the beautiful Miss Tyler,” Jack said gallantly, “assistant to the mysterious Doctor Smith?”

“He’s not mysterious,” Rose replied.

“Turning up without being on the guest list…” Jack said, “I checked. But you were invited in anyway. Secret little chats with powerful people and now you peeping into a gentleman’s room. All looks pretty mysterious to me.”

“You wouldn’t get a lady in trouble for curiosity, would you?” Rose batted her eyelashes.

“Depends on who you’re being curious for,” Jack said, “I’m willing to place a sizeable bet that you and the good Doctor are not innocent guests as much as he is one of Peel’s men. If that is the case I might have something of interest to the Home Office.”

“I beg your pardon?” Rose looked at him nervously.

“Can you begin the negotiations or should we find your Doctor, or maybe I should ask the Lady of the House what you were doing peeking into the major’s room?”

“You can’t do that,” Rose protested. “Negotiations for what?” she added.

“Things the Home Office will find interesting and profitable,” Jack replied.

“You do need to speak to the Doctor,” Rose said.

Jack let her go regretfully and was pleased to see she looked as saddened by the loss of contact. Then he snatched up her hands again. Turning them over he tutted at the state they were in.

Rose bit her lip as Jack carefully removed the splinters from her palms. Once he was finished he brought them up to his lips and Rose blushed when he kissed them gently.

“All better,” Jack said with a wink and Rose recovered herself enough to snatch her hands away.

Jack escorted Rose back to the ballroom and they went looking for the Doctor.

“Doctor,” Rose said, walking up and placing her hand possessively on his arm, “Captain Jack Harkness requested an introduction. Doctor Smith may I introduce Captain Jack Harkness.”

“Doctor, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” Jack said, shaking the doctor’s hand.

“Captain.” Doctor Smith nodded. He was a tall saturnine man with intelligent eyes and strong features, with a hint of menace that Jack found nearly irresistible. His gaze racked across Jack’s form and he smirked. “Although I doubt if the title has been truly relevant for some time.”

Jack smirked back and raised a challenging eyebrow.

“Captain Harkness knows about us,” Rose said to the doctor, “that we’re Home Office.”

Doctor Smith considered Jack, “and…” he prompted.

“He has something to offer us,” Rose added.

“Perhaps we should take this somewhere less public,” Jack said smoothly, “and Miss Rose can explain what she was doing climbing trees outside strange gentlemen’s windows.”

Rose glared at him for betraying her to Doctor Smith, but the doctor just sighed.

“They never stay put when I tell them to,” he said glumly and then grinned. “Of course, where’s the fun in that? Lead on Captain Jack Harkness, you look like the sort that would know of a more private place.”

Jack grinned and led the way to the small antechamber he had already taken advantage of several times that weekend. He waited for Rose to sit on an elegant chair and then sprawled out on the chaise lounge.

Doctor Smith smiled again and leaned up against the door rather than join him, much to his disappointment.

“So what have you got to offer, Captain?” Doctor Smith asked and Jack fought back the desire to really tell him.

“I stumbled across a man,” Jack said, “he was in a bad way, hiding from people who didn’t like his politics. Anyway, he had acquired some papers and bits and pieces that appear to have come from the belongings of General Duhesme. He was trying to sell them for medicine but the poor man is too weak to travel.”

“And why would this be of interest to the Home Office?” Doctor Smith said.

“Some of the papers are in code, but I did manage to decipher enough to figure one is a list of names, English sympathisers to Napoleon’s cause,” Jack said, knowing exactly what the Home Office would be interested it. His other two buyers were more interested in treasure and the potential blackmail.

“And your duty as an office and a gentleman didn’t suggest that you take the man to London?” Doctor Smith raised an eyebrow.

“I am a business man first, and an officer second these days, Doctor,” Jack replied.

“And a gentleman?” Doctor Smith said.

“Only when required,” Jack said. He was pretty certain the good doctor was flirting with him, even if Rose appeared oblivious.

“If the information is important,” Rose said, “we should take a look.”

“Not what we’re here for, Rose,” Doctor Smith said sternly and Rose pouted at him.

“Perhaps I could assist you,” Jack said, “and then you could make me an offer on what I have.”

“Captain Harkness does appear to know a lot of people here, he could help,” Rose said brightly and Doctor Smith scowled. “Do you know a woman, Melinda Anderson?”

“Maybe,” Jack said, “if you mean Monty Anderson’s sister-in-law, but she’s been in seclusion since Barty died. I’ve never met her but Monty has mentioned her.”

“I told you he’d know,” Rose said to Doctor Smith.

“Nothing useful though,” Doctor Smith said, but he didn’t appeared too concerned.

“I did hear that Monty was a bit upset about the way the estate had been settled. Seems Melinda got a sizable settlement and control over most of the fortune until the boy comes of age. Rumour has it that Monty was looking to the estate to settle his own debts.”

“Debts?” Doctor Smith raised an eyebrow.

“Well he is a very bad gambler,” Jack said with a smirk. Monty had paid for the information he’d offered and then he’d fleeced the man of everything else. It had been a very satisfying evening finished off by a very accommodating footman.

“Did it not occur to you that there might be something wrong with Mrs Anderson?” Doctor Smith said mildly, but Jack felt the rebuke.

“Not my place to question,” Jack said, “not the done thing really.”

“You don’t look like the kind of man who cares about the done thing,” Doctor Smith said, and Jack was certain he was being flirted with.

“Mrs Anderson and her son have been missing for nearly a week,” Rose said, “her uncle is afraid that something may have happened to her. They disappeared on their way to visit him.”

“I could ask around, maybe talk to some of the staff,” Jack offered, “see what the gossip is. Maybe even take a look in Monty’s room, without climbing up trees,” he added with a wink at Rose.

“See,” Rose said to Doctor Smith, “that’s detecting.”

“No,” Doctor Smith corrected, “that’s spying.”

“Detecting?” Jack looked at them and cursed himself for jumping to conclusions. “You’re not Home Office are you?”

“No,” Doctor Smith said with another of his bright grins, “we’re private detectives. Well I am, but Rose has different ideas about detective work.”

“Well all you do is wander around, chat to people and then suddenly there’s a chase and we’ve caught the bad guy,” Rose complained, “I thought there’d be hunting for clues, searching rooms and maybe even setting traps for villains.”

Jack laughed at her disgust. “Did you grow up reading your brother’s books of adventure?”

“I don’t have a brother,” Rose said, “but my mother did tell wonderful stories.”

“Your mother is a truly terrifying woman,” Doctor Smith said seriously.

“Stop it,” Rose said with a smile and Jack felt a pang for the easy camaraderie between them, something he hadn’t experienced since his early days in the army before everything went so very wrong.

“Shall we do some detecting then?” Jack said lightly.

“What do you suggest, Captain?” Rose said with delight.

“Let’s start with Monty’s room,” Jack said, “I’ll have a chat to his manservant and see what I can find out. Perhaps you or Doctor Smith could distract Monty?”

“Who’s in charge here?” Doctor Smith said.

“You are, doctor,” Rose replied.

“Wouldn’t have it any other way,” Jack added.

“Right then,” Doctor Smith said. “What he said,” he added with a grin. “Rose can distract the major so long as she stays in the ballroom this time.”

Rose sighed but she nodded. “Maybe I can get him to dance with me; I haven’t had a chance to dance yet since somebody doesn’t.” She looked pointedly at Doctor Smith.

“I dance,” Doctor Smith protested.

“I’m sure you do,” Jack said with a slight purr to his voice that had Rose looking at him questioningly.

“Right then,” Doctor Smith stood up and opened the door, “you’re with me, Captain.”

Jack got to his feet and offered his hand to assist Rose, letting her exit first.

“I’ll meet you back in the ballroom then,” Rose said.

“Wait a minute,” Doctor Smith said. He turned Rose’s hands over to reveal the scratches, “at least wear your gloves, Rose,” he said, “Before people think you’ve been up to mischief.”

Rose smiled cheekily and pulled her kid gloves out of her reticule.

Jack and Doctor Smith watched her sashay back to the ballroom and waited until she had engaged Major Anderson in conversation.

“Lead the way, Captain,” Doctor Smith said.

Jack led him unerringly to Monty’s apartments where he so recently fleeced the man. A quick check revealed no sign of the manservant.

They both demonstrated reasonable skill at searching a room without leaving a trace, each taking a side. They met at the bed and Jack let his body lean into Doctor Smith’s just a little.

“Time for a dance, doctor?” he suggested.

“Buy me a drink first,” Doctor Smith replied without moving.

They were startled out of the moment by the clatter of pebbles on the window. Jack dashed over to see a frantic Rose waving.

“I don’t think Rose was successful at distracting Monty,” Jack said as they both heard footsteps outside.

They dived under the bed just before a very excited Monty entered with his manservant right behind.

“You’re sure it’s her?” Monty was asking.

“Yes, sir,” the manservant replied. “She matched the description perfectly as did the brat.”

“I knew the bitch would try and reach her uncle,” Monty said with satisfaction, “she must have seen me on the road and gone to ground there. I’ll make my excuses and we’ll head out straight away. How far is this barn she’s hiding in?”

“Two miles west of here,” the servant replied, “an abandoned farm just off the London road.”

Jack had been happily pressed up to Doctor Smith in the confines under the bed but he stiffened at the words.

“Good,” Monty said, “pack my things while I go and talk some money out of the old General; he’s good for a bit of blunt.”

Luckily the manservant left the room not long after Monty, giving them enough time to slip out and head down the stairs where Rose was waiting nervously.

“What happened?” she whispered urgently as Doctor Smith swept them back into the alcove.

“Yes, what happened, Captain?” Doctor Smith said with a frown.

“Nothing yet,” Jack prevaricated, “but if those directions were correct something bad could happen.”

“What are you talking about?” Rose demanded.

Jack ran his fingers through his carefully arranged hair. “The things I claimed to have, to sell to the Home Office… I was lying. I’m a conman, I made it all up to get money out of people, it’s what I do, con people.”

“And this has to do with Mrs Anderson and her son how?” Doctor Smith growled.

“The con worked with me showing a document that promised enough to tempt the mark,” Jack explained, “then I would tell them the man was hiding in an abandoned barn. We’d ride out together and when we get there the barn would be on fire. I’d appear to risk my life trying to get inside, but fail. Everyone is shocked and I ride away before they ask for their money back. Nobody gets hurt and I’m better off.”

“Nobody gets hurt?” Jack could see that Doctor Smith was furious.

“It’s an abandoned barn,” Jack said, “nobody was supposed to be in there.”

“How did the fire start?” Rose asked, “Wouldn’t whoever set it check?”

“Nobody sets it,” Jack said, “I have it rigged up to start on its own.”

“Well aren’t you the clever one,” Doctor Smith said. “When’s it due to trigger?”

“Not until tomorrow night,” Jack said.

“You better just hope that nobody plays with it before that, like a bored seven year old boy,” Doctor Smith said.

“If we go now we can get there before Monty,” Jack said, “do you have a carriage?”

“Yes, but the horses aren’t the fastest,” Doctor Smith said.

“Can you ride?” Jack said.

“Yes,” Doctor Smith replied.

“So can I,” Rose added.

“You’re not going,” Doctor Smith said.

“Yes, I am,” Rose insisted, “and we don’t have time to argue,” she added, pointed outside where Major Anderson was climbing into a carriage.

“Damn,” Doctor Smith cursed.

“Follow me,” Jack said, “we can cut through the kitchens to the stables.”

Five minutes later they were galloping through the darkness, Jack on his stallion, Hart, with Doctor Smith and Rose on borrowed mounts. Jack had saddled all three up while Rose had continued to insist on travelling with them. She had hiked up her skirts without concern about the amount of ankle she was showing and led her own horse to a mounting block before Doctor Smith acquiesced and tossed her into the saddle.

When they got close to the barn, Doctor Smith made them dismount and move into the woods.

“We need proof of Major Anderson’s intentions,” he said, quietly but urgently.

“We promised her uncle we’d bring them home safe,” Rose whispered just as urgently.

“We just have to hear him confess to trying to kill her and we can step in,” Doctor Smith said firmly.

They moved in closer to the barn with Jack in the lead. Jack reached around and pulled out his pistol when he saw Monty’s carriage was there, only to feel Doctor Smith’s hand gripped tightly around his wrist.

“No pistols,” he hissed.

Jack looked at the determined face and shrugged, holstering his weapon. He knew it was easily drawn again.

They reached the back wall of the barn and moved around to where they could hear voices.

“You should have married me when you had the chance, Melinda,” Monty was saying.

“After you were responsible for my husband’s death?” a female voice could be heard.

“Barty’s death was a tragic accident,” Monty said, “even the Magistrate agreed.”

“The Magistrate is a drunken old fool who would say whatever you told him to say,” Melinda said and they heard her cry out.

“Last chance,” Monty said, “Marry me and we’ll raise Alexander as our own.”

“And watch you destroy everything Barty worked so hard for? I’d rather die.”

“That can be arranged,” Monty said with a cruel laugh. “It’s a shame your body will never be found.”

Doctor Smith nodded and they rushed around to the front of the barn. Jack kicked the door open and moved inside before anyone could even turn around.

Monty had Melinda by the arm and his manservant stood to one side holding onto a young boy.

“Let the woman go,” Doctor Smith said, entering right behind Jack.

Monty pulled Melinda in front of him and pulled a pistol. “Who are you?” he demanded.

“I’m the man hired to stop you,” Doctor Smith replied.

“Interesting company you keep, Captain,” Monty said to Jack, “so the offer you made me was just a cover was it? I suggest you all back away and not get in my way.”

The young boy took advantage of the standoff to kick the servant in the shins and pull free.

“Run Alex,” Melinda cried out.

Alex darted away from the servant and then ran at Monty. “Leave my mother alone,” he cried out.

Monty lashed out and sent the boy tumbling. Melinda screamed and pulled against his hold. Jack rushed the servant and he fled, only to be knocked unconscious by a horseshoe wielding Rose, hiding behind the door.

Jack spun around and advanced on Monty with Doctor Smith at his side. There was a strange whooshing noise and the smell of smoke and Jack knew his trick had been triggered.

Monty threw Melinda at the men and dashed out of the barn, knocking Rose over in passing.

Doctor Smith caught Melinda and they turned to see the barn go up in flames.

“Alexander!” Melinda cried and through the smoke and flames Jack could see a small body lying crumpled on the ground.

“You’ll kill yourself,” Doctor Smith said to Melinda, pulling her away.

“He’s my son,” she cried, struggling against him.

Pulling his greatcoat over his head Jack dove through the flames. He picked up the small body and was relieved to see Alex was breathing. A beam came crashing down next to him and he turned aside, covering Alex’s body with his own. The heat was intense as all the flammable material in the barn caught fire and when Jack turned back to the others he could barely see. Rose was holding onto the sobbing Melinda and Doctor Smith was standing as close to the flames as he could.

The beam had fallen across his exit and Jack considered his options. Jack met Doctor Smith’s eyes and the doctor nodded his understanding. Moving as close as he dared Jack lifted the still unconscious boy. Keeping his gaze fixed on Doctor Smith and ignoring the screams of the women he threw Alex over the flames and into Doctor Smith’s waiting arms. Doctor Smith stumbled but held on and fell back from the flames.

Before Jack could risk the flames himself the hayloft crashed to the ground around him.

Rose rushed to Doctor Smith’s side but the fire was engulfing the barn and Doctor Smith hurried them out. Melinda grabbed her son, breaking into fresh tears when he opened his eyes.

“We have to do something,” Rose said to Doctor Smith.

“There’s nothing we can do,” he said, “Jack knew what he was doing.”

“There must be something,” Rose begged.

Jack was back up against the far wall of the barn. He knew it wouldn’t be long before the fire engulfed his area. He’d tried kicking his way out through the wall it was too sturdy. All through the war he’d expected to die, alone and unmourned on foreign soil and he’d made his peace with that. He was surprised at how much he didn’t want to die, but at least Rose would mourn him, if only briefly.

The wall behind him started to vibrate under heavy blows and Jack flinched away in surprise. An axe blade crashed through the wall about a foot away from where he was crouched. After several more blows a familiar hand reached through and Jack grabbed it gratefully.

“You look a little warm, Captain,” Doctor Smith said, “fancy a walk outside?”

Jack happily helped Doctor Smith break enough boards to allow him to squeeze out.

“That was very brave of you,” Rose said, helping him up.

“And stupid,” Doctor Smith said, but his smile made Jack warm inside.

“How’s the boy?” Jack asked.

“He’ll be fine,” Doctor Smith said, “we’ll escort them back to her uncle in the morning and set some men to find Major Anderson.”

They led Jack back to where the horses were tethered and Melinda Anderson was waiting with her son as the barn collapsed in on itself behind them. She threw herself at his neck and sobbed her thanks. Jack smiled with embarrassment and carefully disengaged himself.

“Anyone would have done the same,” he said.

“No they wouldn’t,” Doctor Smith said. “Time to be heading off,” he added, “it’s a long walk back.”

“Walk?” Jack said with surprise.

“We rode the horses pretty hard,” Doctor Smith said, “don’t think any of them are up for extra passengers for a while.”

“We can’t let the ladies walk,” Jack protested gallantly.

“The ladies are quite capable thank you,” Rose said with annoyance.

Doctor Smith looked pointedly at her dancing slippers and she blushed.

“Can you ride Mrs Anderson?” Jack said.

“Sir, if it gets me to a hot bath I would ride an elephant,” she replied.

In the end Jack helped Rose onto his horse once he was certain she could handle the feisty stallion. Doctor Smith helped Mrs Anderson onto his horse and Alex onto the one Rose had ridden. Then he and Jack took the reins of the two horses and they headed back to the manor.

“We might still get back in time for a last dance,” Rose said cheerfully from out front. “I’m sure Captain Harkness is a wonderful dancer,” she added.

“But who with?” Doctor Smith said under his breath.

Jack raised an eyebrow and smiled lazily at Doctor Smith. “I would be honoured Miss Tyler,” he replied, his gaze never leaving the doctor.

 

END