Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,023
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,210

It Happens Right?

Summary:

About last night, Ray thinks it was a mistake.

Work Text:

It Happens, Right?
by Lopaka Tanu

'Last night was a mistake.' That was the first thing that came to mind.

Ray couldn't really believe that he had allowed things to get so far. An ordinary situation had gotten completely out of hand. They had let the moment take them and now it was time to pull it back.

He had to find Benny and explain it to him. He was a good guy, he'd understand why it had happened, and could never happen again. They were too different guys, Fraser was Canadian, and Ray was normal. It would never work.

Entering the bullpen, Ray glanced about for his errant Mountie. Finding no sign of the red serge or the big, goofy hat, he felt himself relax. Ray knew he was dreading the eventual confrontation. And that kinda pissed him off.

There was nothing to dread!

Benny was a smart guy. If he hadn't figured it out by now, he would the moment he saw Ray. They would have a polite little conversation, a few platitudes about mooses, and then they would probably shake on it. Simple really.

Feeling slightly better, Ray wandered over to his desk. There were a few messages, a new folder from Welsh, and little else. At least the duck brothers hadn't tried to foist their crap off on him, again. He guessed Fraser's little chat with them last week had finally paid off.

"Good morning, Ray." The voice was chipper, but held a flat edge to it.

Glancing over his shoulder, Ray found Benny behind him. The wolf was no where to be seen. "Feeling a little naked?"

"If by that, you mean vulnerable, then yes." Using the back of his thumb, Fraser scratched at his eyebrow. He couldn't bring himself to meet Ray's eyes. "Uh, may I talk with you a second, in private?"

"Broom closet?" At Fraser's nod, Ray sighed. He hadn't even had time to take off his coat. Oh well, at least Fraser was prompt. Something he could always count on his good buddy Benny for.

Walking down the hall, Ray felt his back begin to straighten. It was foolish, and he couldn't quite figure out why. This was a good thing. There were no more doubts, life would quietly get back to normal. Everything would be fine.

Upon reaching closet door, he had to try twice before his hand would grip it. Frowning at it, he twisted the knob with more force than strictly necessary. This was another situation quickly getting out of hand. Ray didn't bother to wait to see if Fraser was behind him, he just barged right on in.

Spinning around, he found Fraser already closing the door. Ray jerked on the light almost as an after thought. "About last night."

"Ray, if I may?" Benton waited for Ray to nod before he sighed. Licking his lips, he once more dodged the other man's gaze. "Last night was a disgrace."

Eyebrows shooting up, Ray felt he could have been knocked over with a feather. That was not what he had been thinking.

"What happened was a misjudgment on my part, I acted out of my own selfish needs. I shamefully took advantage of you at a vulnerable time to satisfy my terrible lusts. This dishonorable act not only says what a monster I am indeed capable of being, but that you truly cannot trust me." Clearing his throat, Fraser took a cleansing breath. His back had remained ramrod straight the entire time. "I know you can never forgive me, and I am not worthy of your forgiveness. Still, I must apologize."

"Shut up!" Ray shoved Fraser against the shelves behind him. His jaw clenched as he tried to keep himself from hitting the other man.

"I am sorry, Ray. If you feel the need to hit me, I will understand and take no reprisals." Raising his chin, Fraser closed his eyes.

"You dumb..." Shaking his head, Ray shoved Fraser again. Stepping back, he tried to work his thoughts in order. "You have no idea what happened last night!"

"Yes, I do." Opening his eyes, Fraser finally glanced directly at Ray. "I took advantage of you." His conviction over that wavered at the detective's expression. "Ray?"

"What happened last night was something we both wanted. No one took advantage of anyone else last night. It was all completely consensual!" By the time he finished, Ray was breathing heavy. He was no longer pissed off, but the anger still lay there, simmering beneath the surface. "It was really great."

Now, it was Benton's turn to look completely knocked asunder. Eyes wide and cheeks coloring, he licked his lips nervously. "Really, Ray?"

"Yeah, it was." Ray allowed himself a moment to relive the night before. It had indeed been great. There was nothing at all wrong with it. "Only, one thing, it can never happen again."

"Why not." The words slipped out before Fraser had a chance to control himself. Glancing down at his boots again, he was back to scrubbing at his eyebrow. "Oh dear. I believe what I meant to say was, 'if you are certain'."

"I am." Now was the moment of truth. Time to lay all his cards out in the open. Forget all the misunderstandings, forget all the lies. There was only the truth. "You're Canadian. It wouldn't work out."

"Really, Ray. I hardly think my nationality would truly be an impediment to any relationship we might develop." Judging by the look Ray gave him, Fraser knew he might have just given credence, at least in Ray's mind, to his argument. Sighing, he closed his eyes. "Very well. If this is what you wish."

"I do." Slapping Fraser on the shoulder, Ray actually felt like smiling. "Glad we could have this talk, Benny."

Fraser wisely kept his mouth shut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The alarm was going off.

Groaning, Ray rolled over to turn it off. Before he reached it, someone else beat him to it. Immensely relieved he didn't have to stretch out from under the warm covers, Ray moaned in pleasure. "Thanks."

"You are quite welcome, Ray."

Eyes popping open, Ray sighed. "Benny?"

"Yes, Ray?" The bed dipped behind him.

"Never mind."

 

THE END..............................