Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
631
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,768

Random Thoughts of a Special Agent

Summary:

Gibbs reflects on his second in command

Work Text:



Random Thoughts of a Special Agent
byStarbucks Sue


Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs backed away from the boy who had found the body and just watched. Giving the kid his cap, his business card and an invitation to visit NCIS with his friends had been quickly noticed by the other boys and he was now surrounded by the rest of the scout troop, envious looks and comments from the other boys making him the centre of attention. At least it would take his mind off finding the dead body of the female lieutenant for a while and maybe by the time he thought of her again it would be just be a distant memory, something relegated to the back of his mind. Gibbs knew from personal experience that he wouldn't forget this, but maybe he had given the youngster enough that it wouldn't haunt him.

He glanced back at the boys for a moment longer before going to see what his agents and his medical examiner had found. The boys were around the same age as the daughter he had lost so many years ago and the images of Kelly as she was the last time he'd seen her flashed unwanted through his mind. As he'd discovered a long time ago, even though it had been twenty years since he'd lost his only child the parental instincts remained as strong as ever. It mattered not that he no longer had a child, the paternal side of him was always looking for an outlet.

Climbing quickly down the ravine to where to the body had been discovered he soon found his team. DiNozzo and Blackadder, his agents, were scouting the area, taking photographs and measurements and looking for evidence to bag and tag. Ducky, his medical examiner, was obviously lost in his own thoughts as he gazed on the body stuck in the fallen tree.

Jethro's thoughts drifted to his senior field agent, Tony DiNozzo, experienced field agent and highly capable of the job that he did, an intelligent leader and Gibbs' second in command. The former marine was always willing to put his life in the hands of the former Baltimore homicide cop, the young man had his team leader's trust and respect as well as his six.

If only Tony believed it. Gibbs knew that intellectually Tony knew he trusted him and had his respect but the younger man's self confidence was definitely lacking. Tony had stayed with Gibbs twice since the marine had brought him to Washington, initially taking the younger man in for two months whilst he found himself an apartment and the second time when the heating in Tony's building had packed up in the middle of his first winter in DC, resulting in Gibbs having his former housemate back for a further six weeks. Gibbs had overheard too many nightmares not to understand Tony's issues, mostly the result of his father's disappointment in the son he had eventually disowned and his mother's death. The parental instinct was still too strong to allow the younger man to go through his nightmares alone and Gibbs had sat up with his young agent night after night, comforting him, reassuring him and encouraging him to talk through his issues.

Throughout all of this Gibbs had become closer to his second in command than to anyone else he'd worked with in the years since Mike Franks had left, but Tony still knew nothing about Shannon and Kelly. Unless Morrow had been through his file thoroughly when the former senior agent had taken over as Director Gibbs knew no-one else at NCIS knew about his former family and that was the way he intended to keep it.


end