Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
940
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,507

Lying in Wait

Summary:

Keller's thoughts on the trap he is laying for Beecher

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Lying in Wait
By Scribe

To most of the world he's a hothead, barely leashing his brutality, but Chris Keller has the patience of a predator.  He's proving it now, because he's waiting.

When he landed in OZ, even before he was placed in Em City, Vern Schillinger got word to him that he was ready to collect on the debt Chris owed him for past protection.  When he heard what it was Vern wanted, Chris had been amused, and interested.

It seemed that Vern's last 'girlfriend' had gone and gotten independent, cutting himself loose.  Vern wasn't too specific on the details of what happened, but you hear things in stir.  Hell, the gossip grapevine is better than any small town.  What the hell else is there to do but talk?  Chris heard about the little 'parting gift' Beecher gave Vern.  He was shocked, but really, he had to bite the inside of his mouth the first time he saw Vern after he learned that--bit himself raw and swallowed the blood so he wouldn't laugh in Vern's face, because that would be dangerous.

He heard about the biting incident, too.  Hell, it was already on its way to being jailhouse legend, and that made him look at Tobias Beecher in a different light.  This was part of what made Chris a successful hunter--he could assess each individual prey.  Just because Beecher had come into OZ soft, it didn't mean he had stayed that way.  Vern hadn't grasped the fact that people could change.  The White Supremist might preach growing stronger through force of will, but he didn't really believe that anyone but he and his Brothers were capable of it.  He'd underestimated Beecher, and Keller knew that was the one sin that the universe never really forgave.  

Vern's idea had been for Chris to simply win Toby's trust, get him to let down his guard.  It had been Chris's idea to make Toby fall in love with him.  "It'll be easy," he'd assured Vern.  "His kind NEEDS someone to care about, NEEDS to have someone care about him.  It'll take a little longer, but believe me, Vern, it'll be worth it."

Schillinger pondered this, then smiled slowly, pale eyes chilly.  "And it'll hurt just that much more."
He laughed.  "It'll be worse than if his old lady came in and held him down so I could beat his ass.  Yeah, I like that."  He would.  Psychological cruelty gave Vern as much pleasure as sex.

So Chris had begun slowly insinuating himself into Tobias Beecher's life.  It wasn't easy, despite the lie he'd told Schillinger.  Toby had never been stupid.  Though he was naive when he'd come to OZ, the last year had stripped away a lot of his softer side.  He'd become convict-wary--but he was still human, still Tobias Beecher, and deep down he WANTED to believe there could still be some form of trust, of INTIMACY in his life.

That was what Chris was counting on.

Like all good predators, he lives close to his prey, though perhaps closer than most.  The pod they share is so small that there are times, especially in the evenings, just before bed, when Toby has stripped down to his boxers, that it seems as if Chris can feel the other man's body heat.  He has to be careful, at all times.  He must not betray his eventual intentions by word, look, or gesture.  He has to hide behind his camouflage of geniality, watching with his hunter's eyes.

Keller has grown to know his future victim.  He knows the long, clean lines of Toby's body, has seen the water and foam glistening on his pale skin in the shower.  He has warned other predators away with hot eyes and bared teeth, and Toby has not commented on this, but he has noticed.  It seems to puzzle him.  He can't understand anyone in here offering protection without exacting a price.

Chris knows the way that Toby's hair curls at the nape of his neck.  He's watched the other man run his hand distractedly through that soft mass, and he knows that it's just a little darker near the roots.  Chris has seen plenty of bottle blondes on the inside, with their roots growing out as they bitch about not being allowed to get a touch up, but Toby's in just natural shading.  Keller has felt the urge on occasion to take a closer look, rummaging in the strands, learning just where the shade begins to change.

Chris knows that Toby is a quiet sleeper.  He doesn't snore, he doesn't grind his teeth, he doesn't snuffle, whimper, or mutter.  The only sounds he makes are when he jerks off, and he's learned to be quiet about that.  Yeah, that sort of activity can attract the wrong sort of attention in a place like OZ.  He's quiet, but hell--Chris is lying right above him, so close that he could lean over the edge of the bunk, and touch.

Chris could, and he really wouldn't mind, but he doesn't because that would be too much, too soon.  Beecher has been sensitized to anyone acting sexually aggressive, even in the mildest manner--he'd bolt--or fight, and that would spoil the plan.

So he waits, and he watches, and every day Toby relaxes just a little more.  If the predator can be
patient enough, stay still enough, and silent enough--the prey becomes careless.  It forgets that
the threat can be there, just out of sight, ready to spring.

Chris Keller watches Toby Beecher, and wonders if the lion ever loves the gazelle.


end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Scribe.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.