Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
9,324
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,191

The vaults of hell

Summary:

"Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi are sent on a mission to Brinmar where they face an invisible threat."

Work Text:

  

"THE VAULTS OF HELL"
A "Star Wars" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL

*   *   *

Obi Wan was curious.  Qui-Gon had hardly spent a day in the retreat before taking on this mission.  That alone told Obi Wan that this must be important.  Obi Wan asked no questions.  He bid farewell to his friends at the academy and prepared for the call from his Master.  All he had been able to find out was that it had something to do with a suspected slavery ring and seven hundred lost souls.  When Qui-Gon came for him he was already packed and itching to be on his way, yet he tempered that eagerness with an element of caution.  Already he was learning not to rush in head first.  He was beginning to understand the wisdom of Qui-Gon's lessons about caution and her twin sister, Patience.

Qui-Gon gave him a nod, noticing that Obi Wan was ready.  Obi Wan could not read anything on his face.  As they left, Qui-Gon briefed him.  They were on their way to Brinmar.  Obi Wan listened carefully until he had finished.  "The people in the camps, where are they from Master?"

"Some are from Brinmar but many are from other planets, shot down as they navigated the trading routes or captured when they landed."

Obi Wan frowned.  "Did no one raise the alarm?  Come to their assistance?"

"At first yes, but then it became clear that all that was happening was that they were giving Brinmar what it wanted, more prisoners."

Obi Wan looked at Qui-Gon, not sure he was understanding him correctly.  "What Brinmar wanted?  I thought Brinmar was the name of the planet?"

Qui-Gon nodded.  "It is."

When Qui-Gon did not elaborate Obi Wan stopped walking.  "Then why are we going there?"

Qui-Gon gave a small smile.  "I predict our craft will develop engine problems.  We will be forced to make an emergency landing."

Obi Wan could not believe what he was hearing.  "You want us to be captured?"

Qui-Gon placed a hand on his Padawan's shoulder.  "We will not be on our own for long, Obi Wan.  Once we find out what is going on and why the people are being taken prisoner, we will escape and try to locate the rebels we believe are hiding in the hills."

Obi Wan gave his Master an incredulous look.  Things were going from bad to worse.  "But what if they have already been captured?"

Qui-Gon shrugged.  "Then we will find a way to release them."

Obi Wan did not say what he was thinking but the doubt he felt was written on his face.  Qui-Gon smiled briefly at him.  He was amused at his Padawan's reaction but Obi Wan was taking it better than he would have done at his age.  He would have ranted and raved and said a whole host of uncomplimentary things about his Master's mental health.  The boy was learning fast.  In a rare quirk of introspective humour, Qui-Gon hoped he would be able to keep up with him.  Obi Wan had been set many tests and he was, after all, only an apprentice but Bant had helped him to rein in his impatience.  His friend's gentle nature had already taught him so much, things he would never have regarded as important before.  Thinking of her made him smile.  What was it she had said to him when he left?  When you are in doubt clear your mind and empty your heart of all emotion so that all that is left is the Force.  If you embrace it, it will lead you and protect you.  Let it be your lodestone as you have been mine.  He still did not understand the last comment.  How could he be Bant's lodestone when he made so many mistakes?

*   *   *

The craft bucked and weaved more than Obi Wan would have believed possible.  He watched the ground coming up fast, unable to do anything to slow their descent.  Qui-Gon had said their plan was to develop engine trouble and have to crash land on to Brinmar, but he had not expected them to be doing it for real.  Qui-Gon braced himself for the impact, "Hang on!"

Obi Wan hung on for all he was worth as they dipped through the last of the atmosphere and picked up speed.  He watched in grim fascination as they hurtled towards the ground.  Qui-Gon gritted his teeth.  The ion canon took what little manoeurablility their craft had left and shattered it.  Only the vegetation softened their landing but not by enough to matter a damn.  It took some minutes for the dust to slowly settle, bits of debris and vegetation swirling through the air in a slow dance as if unwilling to come to rest on the ground.  The ship was a mess and there was now a big hole gaping in the side of it.  This was one bird which would never fly again.  For a while nothing happened.  The ion canon had stopped firing the moment it had dealt the final blow and an eerie silence had settled on the planet.  Slowly a figure emerged from hiding, fitful eyes scanning right and left for any sign of danger.  It was a woman.  She was in rough clothing and armed with a rapid pulse regeneration rifle, the modern equivalent to a machine gun.  She also looked as if she knew how to use it.  She emerged slowly, paused then signalled to others still in hiding behind her.  Gradually more figures emerged, all similarly dressed and armed.  They approached the crashed craft cautiously, fanning out and taking up defensive positions to provide cover for the recon party.

Obi Wan was not sure where he hurt most.  The only thing he knew was that everything he did was agony.  In his imagination he assumed every bone in his body must be broken.  He tried to open his eyes but a blinding flash of pain made him abort the attempt with a dull groan.  Something was pressing down on his lungs, compressing his diaphram and making it hard for him to breath.  He could feel himself starting to drift, noise echoing in and out of his head as if bypassing his ears.  He sighed and at the end of the sigh was no more.

The woman was young, perhaps in her late teens, but her eyes were old.  She was a woman who had never been a child, never known what it was to laugh without first looking over her shoulder to see if it was safe.  Those same eyes now scanned the ruined interior of the ship and caught the movement of a piece of rough brown cloth.  She made her way towards it and as she got closer saw that it was a rough spun cloak.  A large man stirred beneath it.  She paused and regarded the noble contours of the face, the beard and the hair fastened back from the face.  She called to some of the others to help her and between them they removed the superstructure and debris which had pinned him down.  He opened his eyes and looked straight into hers.  She saw warmth, not suspicion; gratitude and trust.  She almost recoiled with shock.  It was not what she had expected.  He smiled but the smile turned to a grimace as he inhaled.  Several ribs were obviously cracked or broken but apart from that he seemed in remarkably good shape.  He allowed himself to be helped up and looked around immediately for his Padawan, his expression suddenly anxious.  "Obi Wan!  Obi Wan, where are you?"

The silence made his heart race.  The woman tried to get him to sit and let her people find him but Qui-Gon would not hear of it.  Obi Wan was his responsiblity.  If anything had happened to him he would never forgive himself.  He found his young apprentice unconscious, a piece of the shattered bulkhead pinning him to the deck.  Qui-Gon frowned anxiously and urged the others to be careful as they eased the twisted metal off him.  As soon as the impediment was moved, Qui-Gon saw the blood pooling on Obi Wan's chest and realised the twisted metal had pierced him in the chest.  What he did not know was how bad the injury was.  Was it superficial or were there internal injuries?

The woman bustled him out of the way and placed her fingers gently on the wound and closed her eyes.  Qui-Gon looked at her intently and realised that she was scanning Obi Wan for injuries.  He closed his eyes to pick up what he could and when he opened them again she was looking straight at him.

"What are you?"  She said quietly.  What not who, Qui-Gon noted.  He hid a smile.

"I am Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Knight.  This is my Padawan, Obi Wan Kenobi.  We come from the Jedi Council."

Her eyes widened but she did not give ground.  "Why are you here?"

"To meet up with the rebels and to find out what happened to 700 lost souls."

The woman turned quickly to still a gasp from one of her people.  One look from her and they fell silent.  She turned back to Qui-Gon.  "We cannot talk here, but first we must get both you and your companion to safety.  They will be sending out scouts to check the wreakage."

Qui-Gon nodded then glanced at Obi Wan.  His face was ashen and Qui-Gon was worried.  Before he could say anything, the woman placed a hand on his arm.  "Questions later.  We go now!"

*   *   *

Obi Wan felt something shake him and opened his eyes.  Flashes of the crash filled his mind but he was no longer in the ship.  He was surprised to find no one near him and to find himself in some kind of camoflaged shelter.  He wondered who had shaken him and looked around.  The light leaked in around the leaves, branches and brushwood which had been used to make the shelter but he noticed it was not meant as a permanent structure.  This one had been made in haste.  He sat up with difficulty.  His side and chest were painful and ached but not enough to prevent him moving around and he noticed his breathing was now unconstricted.  He glanced around.  Where was everyone?  At that moment the earth shook again and Obi Wan realised it was this that had wakened him.  He frowned.  He did not know that Brinmar was subject to Earthquakes.  Obi Wan looked down at his chest and noticed the wound was almost healed.  Just a flesh wound then, he thought with relief.  He started to ease himself to his feet.  At that point Qui-Gon dipped his head and came into the shelter followed by several people who Obi Wan assumed must be rebels.  Qui-Gon spared him a brief smile.

"How do you feel?"

"Like I've been kicked in the chest by a Taun Taun, but I'll live."  Obi Wan paused.  "I didn't know Brinmar was subject to Earthquakes."

A new voice answered him.  "It isn't."

Obi Wan looked at the speaker, a woman.  She was dressed in rough clothes and armed.  He thought her to be perhaps in her late teens yet her grey eyes looked like the waters of a cold sea, waters that had witnessed too much and went too deep to have stopped at childhood along the way.  He felt strangely saddened.  She frowned at him.  "Qui-Gon says you're here to help us."

Obi Wan could not tell what she thought of that because there was no inflection in her voice.  He nodded carefully.  "If you are the rebels, yes."

Something that might have been cold amusement sailed across her eyes.  "And if we're not?"

Obi Wan glanced at Qui-Gon but he had his arms crossed and just stood there listening.  Obi Wan looked at the girl.  "Then we will have to see what we will see."

She raised her eyebrows at his caution but he could not tell what she was thinking.  "You wouldn't shoot us?"

Obi Wan was surprised and a little shocked that she would think that.  "No, of course not.  First I'd want to know who you were, what was happening.  I'd need to understand what was going on before making a decision."

She looked at Qui-Gon then back to Obi Wan.  "Yet you have already made a decision."

Obi Wan said nothing.  Slowly Qui-Gon stirred.  "Obi Wan, this is Jen al Habid leader of the southern faction of rebels."

She flashed Obi Wan a rare smile, her mirrored teeth momentarily dazzling him.  "Just call me Jenna."

Obi Wan nodded back.  The other figures behind Jenna were stirring.  It was like a ripple in a cornfield.  Jenna reacted without looking back at her people.  "We have to go.  Another quake is coming and we are too near the faultline.  If you mean what you say then you can come with us but we must go now."

*   *   *

The drilling stopped as the people ran for cover, though below ground they could not run far.  What looked like a large grey-skinned male turned and glared at them, admonishing them for their weakness but the people still cowered, worried for their fragile lives.  The large male turned and spoke but no one understood what he was saying.  It was not in interlac or basic but a strange garbled sound of rumbling pitches.  A bit like someone clearing their throat underwater.  The second male nodded and brandished a weapon.  The meaning crossed all language barriers.  Reluctantly the people got back to their posts and resumed drilling.  One female did not move but clung to the rock with her eyes closed.  Each tremor of the earth making her jump.  A voice in her head shook her out of the paralysis of fear that had gripped her.

"You will join the others.  Now."

Her eyes sprung open in suprise and she saw the large male looking directly at her.  She thought, was that you?

The male did not make any movement that might be classed as an affirmation but she clearly heard more words in her head.

"Yes, you must move now.  Delay and you will be terminated."

She nodded, stunned to find the aliens were telepathic.  She looked at the others but no one was looking her way.  They probably feared that to show interest would mark them out for some particularly unpleasant form of punishment.  She did not blame them.  These aliens were more than ruthless, they were completely lacking in compassion.  But this one seemed a little different.  She could not be sure but she had the feeling that this one did not want her to die.  Quietly but quickly Coral resumed her position by the rock face and put her bruised palms to the drilling gun.  Everyone was busy with their own guns, working steadily without goggles or other shielding equipment.  Driven by the fear of what would happen if they did not.  The aliens had rounded up the children and this was their means of bargaining.  The children would not be harmed providing the adults worked.  There were no exceptions.

Coral blocked out the pain of drilling as the vibration of the machine jarred her sore hands.  Everybody was in the same boat.  Then one of the men, Rek Odan, stopped drilling and looked round with awe.  One of the aliens pushed forward to look and though there was no expression on the male's face Coral knew he was pleased.  Another alcove had been uncovered.  The alien gave a sign and all drilling in their section stopped.  They were given water and a brief rest.  Coral could not help feeling they were being rewarded.  She looked across at the precious alcove but it revealed no secrets to her.  It just looked like a recess dug out of the rock so why did it excite these aliens so much?  What did it mean and what were they after?  There were no mineral veins that she could see, no precious ores, no buried treasure.  She was baffled.  They had been down here for nearly two months, none of them had seen daylight in all that time yet they had been kept fed and watered.  She wondered what would happen to them when the aliens had what they wanted.  She wondered, would this also be their grave?

*   *   *

Obi Wan was surprised that Jenna had permitted her people to light a fire.  He glanced at Qui-Gon and saw a small smile teasing the corners of his mouth.  Obi Wan sat opposite him so he could see his face.

"You would think there was no danger, lighting a fire for all the world to see."

Qui-Gon nodded.  "There isn't much danger above ground, Obi Wan.  We are relatively safe."

Relatively, thought Obi Wan as another tremor rumbled away beneath their feet.  It was a weak one and nobody even looked up from their plates to take notice of it.  Obi Wan wondered about that.  He turned to see Jenna's eyes on him.  She handed him a plate of stew.  He passed the plate to Qui-Gon and she smiled then passed him another.  They both gave her a polite nod of thanks.  Obi Wan noticed she was still looking at him, as if knowing he had questions.

"Forgive me for being curious, Jenna, but the fire?  Is it safe to be so conspicuous?"

Jenna's eyes sparkled as if with laughter but her face was solemn, as befitted the question.  "Yes, Obi Wan.  The enemy we seek are below ground."

Obi Wan frowned.  "Do they keep no watch?"

Jenna shook her head.  There was no laughter in her eyes now.  "They have no need."

Confused Obi Wan looked at Qui-Gon but something in his eyes warned Obi Wan to pursue the matter no further.  Though curious, Obi Wan said no more.   Instead he followed his Master's lead and gave all his attention to the stew.  When they had eaten the fire was doused and they moved to higher ground.  Obi Wan was burning with questions but knew he must hold his tongue for now.  He took his lead from Qui-Gon and though he did not understand he had complete faith in his Master.  They did not stop for several hours.  By the time they had reached the summit of the hills, they were all feeling weary.  The light had all but faded now and stars were beginning to bedeck the overnight sky.  Obi Wan spared a moment to look up, to allow the awe he always felt when gazing at the heavens to move his soul even now.  He felt eyes on him and looked down to see Jenna watching him.  Her look was one of curiosity.  He smiled at her.

"I never tire of the stars."

She looked from his face to the tableau above them.  More stars seem to be coming out as they watched, as if God himself was putting the lights on to guide them home.  She looked back at him, a gentle smile on her face.

"Are they all like you on your homeworld, Obi Wan?"

Obi Wan was not sure what she meant.  Seeing his expression she gave a light laugh and he thought how much the laughter transformed her solemn face.  It gave her back the youth that war and tragedy had stolen from her so long ago.

"For a Jedi you seem more to have the soul of a poet than of a warrior."

Obi Wan tried not to look disappointed.  He decided he should be truthful nonetheless.  "I am not a Jedi yet, Jenna.  I am an apprentice."

She tilted her head.  "Is that what Padawan means?"

Obi Wan gave a nod.  "Yes and more.  A Padawan is an apprentice who has found a Master."

She was watching his face closely, noting his quiet pride as he said this.  "Is it so important?  For a Padawan to have a Master?"

He gave her a look of surprise.  Only when her face creased in a smile did he realise she had been making gentle fun of him.  He smiled back feeling comfortable in her presence.

"Without a Master no apprentice can become a Jedi Knight."

Jenna's voice dropped, her voice hardly a whisper. "And is it so important to you to become a Jedi Knight, Obi Wan Kenobi?"

He was about to nod but she already knew the answer and without another word turned and moved away from him to help raise the low camoflaged shelters under which they would sleep this night.

*   *   *

An hour before first light Jenna roused them.  The quiet efficiency with which they broke camp impressed the Jedi.  Everything was packed and stowed away in their back packs.  Obi Wan tried to stifle a yawn as Jenna passed him.  She paused to tease him.  "Still smitten by the stars, Obi Wan?"

He turned to make a reply but she had already moved on.  He looked up at the stars and smiled then fell into step beside Qui-Gon Jinn, his smaller steps lengthening to keep pace with his Master.   They had not gone far when Jenna gave a signal and everyone flattened themselves on the ground. Obi Wan twisted his head to look up and saw something bright and round flash overhead at an impossible speed, almost soundless.  He looked at Qui-Gon.  "It's a light ship."  Qui-Gon whispered.

Obi Wan frowned.  He had never heard of one of those.  Seeing his expression, Qui-Gon explained quietly.  "It is what the enemy use to get here.  Ships that travel beyond sub-light speeds.  No one knows how they are powered or where their home planet is only that it is far beyond this system."

Qui-Gon was about to rise when Jenna placed a hand on his arm.  "Do not move, Qui-Gon.  Remain very still."

Puzzled Obi Wan looked from his Master's face to Jenna.  "But the ship has gone, it headed off to the North."

Jenna shook her head and wriggled closer so she could lower her voice still further.  "You don't understand.  These people - whoever, whatever they are - are most dangerous when you can see them.  Or when you think you can see them."

Qui-Gon's eyes narrowed.  "Why?"

"Because that's when they can manipulate us.  The light ship we saw?  It isn't real, at least not in this reality.  It's a projection from their home world inserted to divert us."

Qui-Gon thought about that for a moment.  "I'm not sure I understand.  If the ships are not real are you saying they are projections too?"

Jenna bit back a sigh.  "Yes and no.  They don't obey our laws of physics but they are real.  Never forget that, Qui-Gon."

Obi Wan stirred slightly, he had an uncomfortable feeling.  "How do they manipulate you?"

Jenna looked at him, her expression saying she wished he had not asked but that he had a right to know.  "Through all of our senses.  When they first came we were betrayed by sight, sound, taste, hearing and touch.  In the end the only things we could trust were those things beyond our senses."

Obi Wan frowned.  "Beyond your senses?"

Jenna nodded.  "Instinct, intuition, flashes of insight.  Call them what you will.  For us, this little is all we have."

Obi Wan fell silent wondering how they were expected to defeat such an enemy.  Qui-Gon summed it up best.  He was looking gravely at Jenna.  "Then you are fighting shadows, ideas.  Ever changing thought-forms."

She gave him a sharp look.  "You have seen these beings before?"

Qui-Gon shook his head.  "No, I cannot claim to have done that but I have encountered something similar before.  But never like this.  It was never malevolent.  Never put to such a foul purpose."

For a few minutes they fell silent, mulling over their words.  Obi Wan glanced up at the sky, it was full light now and the stars were gone.  He looked at Jenna.  "So how can you tell when they are here?"

Jenna shook her head, her expression serious.  "You can't.  Not unless they want you to know."

Qui-Gon had a thought.  "Have you tried communicating with them?  Find out what they want?"

Jenna gave him a hostile look.  "We know what they want and they have taken many of our people prisoner to get it."

Qui-Gon's voice dropped to little more than a faint whisper.  "And what do they want, Jenna?"

Jenna looked at Qui-Gon but said nothing.  He tried again, his voice soft.  "What do they really want?"

*   *   *

Coral had no idea how long she had been underground.  It seemed like forever.  At last they were allowed to rest.  To put down their drills and sink to the ground, drained.  Some so tired they did not bother to eat the basic roots and berries the aliens provided.  A sip of water and many were already asleep.  Coral yawned.  She could hardly keep her eyes open.  She noticed Rek Odan was looking at her, his crisp brown eyes conveying a message but she was tired and missed what he was trying to say.  His brown wavy hair was plastered to his head in sweat, murky streaks of soil and grime streaked his honest face, but she was still drawn to him.  Had been from childhood.  She shook her head at him and allowed her legs to slowly crumple, resting her head on her arms, asleep almost before she touched the ground.  Odan looked at her, a small frown creasing his brow, but he made no move to disturb her.  They did not know when they would get the chance to sleep again.

*   *   *

The tunnel mouth Jenna chose was well hidden, camoflaged by undergrowth and its' position to the North of the bluff.  Qui-Gon looked at her, wondering how she had chosen this site.  As if divining his thoughts, she explained.

"For some reason the aliens always choose South facing entrances so whenever we want to explore, to check where they are digging, we use the North ones."

Obi Wan frowned.  "Surely they must know this?"

Jenna shrugged.  "Probably, but if we don't do something then we are crippled into letting them do what they wish without lifting a finger to stop them."

Obi Wan fell silent.  From where he was standing it looked pretty hopeless anyway but he would not be so tactless as to say so.  Qui-Gon nodded and waited for her to lead the way.  In silence they entered the cave mouth, the floor dipping almost immediately.  Jenna paused to caution them.

"Be careful, it is easy to slip for the first 100 yards.  After that the tunnel levels out."

Qui-Gon nodded.  He exchanged a look with Obi Wan.  Carefully they followed the others.  Qui-Gon staying close to Jenna, Obi Wan dropping back to ensure the second half of the group had some protection.  He was not sure what to look for or how he would combat the unseen when it came but he would do his best.  As Bant had advised him he would empty his heart and thoughts of everything but the Force.  As he was thinking this something fleeting seemed to touch his mind.  He was so surprised that he lost his footing and slid down the sloping tunnel.  Qui-Gon helped him to his feet, a frown on his face asking him what happened.  Obi Wan did not want to say anything in front of the others.

"I lost my footing, Master."

Qui-Gon nodded, noting that his Padawan was keeping something back.  Jenna did not appear to have noticed anything amiss.  She nodded and repeated her warning about watching their footing.  Obi Wan felt embarrassed.  One or two of Jenna's people spared him a smile of sympathy.  He could feel his face reddening and was glad they were underground where the light was not good.  They renewed their progress, stepping carefully, trying to be as silent as possible.  After almost an hour, Jenna halted them and they paused to sip sparingly from their canteens.  Obi Wan felt a faint rumble beneath his feet.  Jenna caught the expression on his face and nodded.

"Yes, they are drilling here too."

Qui-Gon looked at her.  "How close?"

"Hard to say, but the last time we checked they were half a mile underground."

Obi Wan looked at her in surprise.  She nodded.  "I know, it's long way to drill through solid rock."

After a brief stop they continued, making more progress now that the tunnel was level.  Qui-Gon forged ahead, his long legs taking him effortlessly away from Obi Wan but making sure he did not go too far ahead.  Jenna nodded to David to keep pace with the Jedi and moved backwards and forewards up the line to ensure all her people were okay.  Noticing, Obi Wan asked her why she was doing this.  She matched her pace to his and Rafael who had been walking alongside Obi Wan dropped back to make room for her.

"We cannot see our enemy unless they will it, therefore the first sign we may have of trouble is when one of us goes missing.  By keeping a constant check we reassure ourselves that all is well and stop anyone from dropping back and lagging behind."

Obi Wan nodded.  As far as it went the logic was sound.  "What if the aliens have no intention of taking any of your people?  What if they are content to watch, to see what you do, where you go?"

Jenna frowned.  She had thought about that many times and it worried her still.  She did not need Obi Wan voicing her own fears.  "We do what we can, Obi Wan, as little as that may be."

Realising he had offended her, Obi Wan was about to apologise when a huge explosion rocked them off their feet.  Rock and rubble cascaded down as part of the roof collapsed, the ground beneath their feet reverberating like some giant beast awakening from its' slumber.  Fissures appeared and one opened beneath Obi Wan's feet, erupting beneath him and throwing him back through the air with such force that the breath was knocked out of him.  Jenna was momentarily stunned.  Rafael hurried forward to help her up, his expression one of horror as he looked ahead.  The way ahead was blocked.  As the dust and debris cleared they could see that apart from a couple of chinks the way was completely closed off to them.  Jenna was frantic.  Qui-Gon and David were on the other side of the barrier.  She hurried back but most of the others were okay, just small cuts and bruises.  More shocked than anything.  She and Obi Wan had been nearest to the blast.  Obi Wan.  She frowned.  She could not see him.

"Obi Wan!  Where are you?"

*   *   *   *   *

*   *   *

Silence greeted her anxious ears.  She walked over to where he had been standing and looked at the vent that had opened up, steam rising hot and angry.  She looked around slowly and then she saw him.  He lay flat on his back, blood running down one side of his face, bits of debris and rock covering him.  His eyes were closed.  Jenna urged Rafael to help her and Sennan joined them, anxious to do what he could.  Between them they cleared the debris off him and Obi Wan opened his eyes.  Jenna knelt down beside him, anxiously scanning him, trying to see how badly he was hurt.  They helped him to sit, the front of his robe cut by numerous shards thrown up in the explosion.  She noticed the cuts on his face were mostly superficial.  Jenna peered at him anxiously, he was far too quiet for her liking.  She watched him carefully take a steadying breath.  He did not try to stand.

"Are you alright, Obi Wan?"

Jenna wondered if he was in shock.

"Yes."

Jenna frowned at his quiet reply.  He sounded very calm.  "You don't sound okay.  What's the matter?"

Obi Wan changed the subject.  "Where is Qui-Gon?  And the others, are they alright?"

Jenna nodded.  "Most of the people are fine but Qui-Gon and David are on the other side of the rockslide.  We are going to have to dig them out."

Obi Wan nodded carefully.  Jenna frowned.  What was the matter with him?

"Obi Wan, we will need every pair of hands."

Obi Wan spoke slowly, his voice deliberately calm so as not to frighten her.  "I can't see Jenna.  It must have been the shock of the blast."

Jenna looked at him in alarm and waved a hand in front of his eyes.  Nothing.  No reaction.  She looked at Rafael, he shook his head.  Obi Wan continued to talk.  He felt strangely calm, centered.  The same could not be said for Jenna who was more shaken than she would have expected.  He could sense her panic and wanted to reassure her.

"Jenna."

Jenna took his hand, tried to urge him to his feet.  She had no intention of leaving him there.  But Obi Wan did not budge.  His face looked calm, serene.  It gave her the creeps.  She wondered if he had internal injuries.  Obi Wan shook his head gently as if hearing her thoughts.  She frowned anxiously at him.

"Obi Wan we have to get out of here!"

"No, you have to get out of here.  You have to help Qui-Gon Jinn."

Panic was rising in her now.  Why would he not move?  Something was terribly wrong.  Usually she could sense it but the disruption caused by the explosion had upset her ability to sense these things.  Until everything calmed down again she could not use her ability to scan.

"Your eyes..."

"My sight will return, Jenna, but even if it did not the Force would guide me."

Jenna exchanged a puzzled look with Rafael, then nodded for him to join the others who were forming a chain to move the rock and debris that trapped Qui-Gon and David on the wrong side of the tunnel.

"Then why...?"

"I can't walk, Jenna."  He said softly, trying not to frighten her.  "My kneecap has been smashed."

Jenna gave a small gasp, then her voice became urgent.  She felt more tremors beneath their feet.  If there was another explosion the whole tunnel would collapse on them.  Many lives would be lost.

"Then you must crawl, Obi Wan."

Obi Wan shook his head.  He spoke slowly, carefully.  "Jenna, listen to me.  I cannot crawl, that would expose my back.  One clear shot and it would be all over.  Do you understand?"

Jenna frowned, she had leaned forward to catch his words as they had dropped to a whisper.  Now a chill ran down her spine.

"I do not understand, Obi Wan."

"The Force is with me, Jenna, but so is something else.  I cannot see them but I can feel them.  They are coming."

Jenna felt overcome by panic, her eyes sweeping round her trying to see from where the danger would come.  Worrying about how she could protect her people.  Realising that if the aliens were coming in behind them they were now trapped many feet underground.  She noticed Obi Wan had removed something from his belt then realised it was his light saber.

"Jenna, I need you to turn me around so that I can face the way we have come."

Jenna felt tears prick her eyes.  He was so young and yet here he was thinking strategy, ready to put himself in the line of fire to protect her and her people.

"I can't let you do that, Obi Wan.  You'll be killed."

He shook his head.  "Have faith in the Force."

Jenna looked up and saw Sennan looking at her, pity in his eyes.  He had obviously heard Obi Wan's words.  She gestured to him to help her and as carefully as they could they turned Obi Wan so he could face the distant entrance.  They must have hurt him but he made no murmur, no complaint.  Jenna glanced behind them at her people working tirelessly to clear the blocked passage.  As if hearing her unspoken words, Obi Wan addressed her in that same calm voice she was learning to dread.

"Jenna, go help the others."

She shook her head.  "I'm not leaving you."

"Jenna, if that tunnel is not unblocked we will be trapped.  Is that what you want?"

She shook her head and tears spilled from her eyes.

"Then do as I say and may the Force be with you!"

Jenna felt as if her heart would break but realised there was little she could do.  She had known him such a short time yet already he had become dear to her.  She bent her head to whisper something to him then brushed a gentle kiss on his cheek.  He did not react and she wondered whether he had felt it but then another stronger tremor rolled beneath her feet.

"Go!"  Obi Wan urged.

Jenna got to her feet and joined her people, frantically helping to clear the rock.  For a while all was quiet and Jenna noticed they were making steady progress.  A gap had appeared at the top of the blockage and they were able to ascertain that both Qui-Gon and David were unhurt on the other side.  Hearing them shifting the rock on the far side spurred them on to shift it as fast as they could on the entrance side.  Then just as Jenna's heart was lifting she heard a sound that cut her soul in two.  Obi Wan had ignited his light saber.  And that could only mean one thing...

*   *   *

Coral trembled.  Never could she recall ever having been so afraid.  Melem, Rynan and Rek Odan were trying to quell the surge of panic as the ceiling above their heads started to crumble, dirt and bits of rock trickling down on them in an ominious rain of debris that appeared to be getting heavier.  Coral spun round but could see nothing of the aliens.  It was as if they had been deserted by their captors.  Left down here to die.  Coral looked around and caught Odan's eye.  He was helping herd the people towards the exit but stopped when he saw the look on her face.  He looked grim but determined.  He knew what she was thinking.  Knew she thought they were going to die down here but it was not going to happen.  Not while he had breath in his body.

Just then there was a loud crack above their heads.  Everybody fell silent, all movement ceased, as anxious eyes looked up.  A huge crack had appeared in the rock above their heads but as impossible as it seemed the roof did not fall and the rain of debris stopped.  Odan looked at the ceiling in wonder, not understanding.  Then Coral heard it.  That voice in her head.  Run.  Go, now.  We will hold the roof until you are safe.  Run!  She looked up, her face filled with awe then suddenly she sprang into action.

"Quick Odan, get the people out!  The roof will hold if we hurry."

He frowned at her but there was no time to explain.  Coral turned and helped, urging the people to hurry down the tunnel and not to stop for anything.  Some started to run but she stopped them, explaining about the extra vibration this would cause and the stress it would add to the weakening tunnel system.  It took over an hour to get everybody out but as the last person got to the surface there was a mighty crash like an explosion and the whole tunnel system collapsed behind them.  Dust and Debris filled the air in a great cloud but no one was killed.  Coral turned and looked for any sign of the aliens but there was no one else in sight.  In her mind she called out to them, thanking them and blessing them for the warning.  She did not understand why they had warned her but was grateful.  To her surprise a faint voice echoed in her head.  We will return if we can.  Remember us.

Coral frowned not understanding.  Why did the aliens want to be remembered?  If the tunnels kept collapsing like this whenever they dug why keep returning?  What was so important, so precious to them, that they had to keep journeying across many light years to get here?  It did not make sense.  Then she heard someone calling her name and looked up.  It was Odan.  He nodded with relief when he saw her and made his way to her side, a question as big as Brinmar on his face.

"How did you know, Coral?  But for your warning we would all have been lost."

Coral shook her head, she could not take the credit for what had happened.  "It wasn't me Odan.  The aliens spoke to me mind-to-mind.  They used a shield to hold back the roof fall until everybody could get out.  They saved us, Odan, but to tell you the truth - I don't understand why."

*   *   *

Obi Wan was not sure how many of them there were but it seemed as if many were coming down the tunnel towards them.  The minds were alien and at first he could not distinguish one mind from another.  They were like a hive mentality, minds cojoined in a single purpose.  They were many.  Obi Wan ignited his lightsaber and controlled his breathing, calling on the Jedi techniques that Qui-Gon Jinn had been teaching him to calm his heartbeat and to open himself to the Force.  They were getting closer now, hurrying.  Still he had no sense of their individuality, not yet, but he tried to radiate calm and cast his thoughts out to them, telling them of their predicament and telling them they had come only in peace.  He also told them he would stand and fight to his last breath if they attacked.  Obi Wan was concentrating so hard on the approaching aliens that he was unaware of what was happening behind him.

A calm measured voice spoke softly to his right.  It was Qui-Gon Jinn.  Relief washed through him and he smiled.  He could face anything now that he knew his Master was safe.

"Are you injured, Master?"

Qui-Gon shook his head and took his place beside him.  "No, Obi Wan.  We were lucky."

Obi Wan paused.  The aliens did not appear to be any closer.  He found it hard to focus on them, as if their numbers kept shifting.  It confused him.  "Can you feel them, Master?  They are just a few dozen yards in the tunnel ahead."

Qui-Gon nodded.  "Yes, Obi Wan.  I feel them."

Qui-Gon closed his eyes then raised his voice so the people huddled behind them could hear.  "Step back, and do not come forward unless we tell you!"

"Let us help!"  Cried Jenna.  "We have many men strong and true and some of us are armed."

Qui-Gon shook his head.  "No.  Do nothing unless they get passed us."

Jenna frowned.  The look on Rafael's voice spoke for them all.  How would they know?  How do you fight an enemy that you cannot see?

Qui-Gon had his light saber in his hand but had not lit it.  He opened himself up to the Force, felt Obi Wan join him and together they radiated their thoughts outward.  For a while nothing happened, the aliens appeared to have stopped.  They did not advance further nor did they retreat.  Qui-Gon spoke softly to Obi Wan, his eyes still closed.  "Obi Wan, shut off your light saber."

Obi Wan gave a tiny frown but did not even think of disobeying.  The light saber went off and he heard a faint worried gasp from the people behind them.  As soon as the saber was shut off they could hear words forming in their minds, a group voice solidifying into one voice.

Why are you here?  You are not of this world.

Qui-Gon spoke for them both.  Neither are you.

A slight pause.  You are wrong.

Who are you?

There was a longer pause.  A kind of rustling as if many dried leaves had just been blown down a hollow passage then the voice resumed.  Stronger now.  Closer.  We were before the rocks cooled.  We built, we left, we returned.

Qui-Gon felt surprise touch him then he nodded to himself.  Of course.  Why did you return?

A pause.  To release the others.

Qui-Gon frowned.  The others?

Yes.  They were trapped in light and shadow.  We came.  We found.  We leave.

Obi Wan felt something stir in him.  Why were they trapped?  What happened?

We were young.  Not yet formed.  Reckless.  We did not think to go together.  The others feared.  They hid.  Formed in the rock they waited for our return.

Qui-Gon felt understanding begin to dawn.  What are you?

A sigh as if old leaves again stirred.  We are rock, tree, sand, water.  We are.  We endure.  Of the crystals of this earth were we formed.  Light activates us, the dark restores us.

Qui-Gon nodded to himself.  Then you are not carbon based like us?

The leaves crackled.  Was it a laugh?  No Jedi, we are not like you.  We are silicone based lifeforms, we are air and water, sand and sun.  We are the atoms that warm the solar winds.  Our breath is the air you breathe.

Obi Wan was starting to feel really confused.  But if you can be all these things and are so advanced how could your people be trapped?

A pause.  Not by rock, not by water, not by air or fire.  By thought.  We should have left together but we did not.  Those who we left behind could not hear our voices, could not touch our thougths.  They feared, they hid for many centuries.  Until at last we returned.  To find them.  To bring them home.

Qui-Gon smiled.  Is your home not here?

No.  This is our cradle.  Just as the child grows to be a man so the thought is born and takes form in the Universe.

Qui-Gon nodded.  I understand.  But these people they are afraid.  You captured their sons and daughters, imprisoned them beneath the ground.

Again a rustling of leaves as if many ancient voices stirred, wishing to be heard.  Qui-Gon waited until they had formed a census, the voices merging into one in his mind.  They could not hear us.  We could not make them see..

"The light ships,"  whispered Obi Wan to Qui-Gon.  Qui-Gon just nodded.

We did what had to be done to free our people.  To bring them home.  We harmed no one nor did we come seeking to harm.  But one among them could hear us.

Qui-Gon heard the rustling noise return as if being gathered by a strong and rising breeze.  The Force told him they were leaving.  For some reason he felt sad.  You are going.

Yes.

What is your name?

A pause.  Then reluctance, impatience, but also understanding.  We are the children.  The seed of new beginnings.  We are stardust.

Qui-Gon nodded.  Then go in peace, my friends.  Go in Peace.

A great wind then rose and swirled in the tunnel.  The people flattened themselves against the rock walls in fear but neither Qui-Gon nor Obi Wan moved.  The wind then swept out of the tunnel and was gone.  Qui-Gon stood up and replaced his light saber and Obi Wan did the same.  Qui-Gon turned with a smile on his lips.

"They have gone and they will not return."

The people looked at each other confused.  Jenna ran forward, looked down at Obi Wan then up at Qui-Gon.  "You spoke to them?"

Qui-Gon nodded.  "Yes, we did.  They are not lifeforms like you and I.  Not flesh and blood but crystalline atoms, they began here on this world then left to explore the stars.  But when they left some got left behind and hid here underground.  After many years the others came back for them and this is why your people were urged to dig.  They wanted to bring their children home."

The people looked at each other with stunned faces.  Obi Wan wished he could see their faces as he smiled at his Master's words.  Jenna dropped to her knees and gently touched his arm as she spoke, that he might know it was her.

"Obi Wan, are you alright?"

He smiled to reassure you.  "Yes, thank you."

Qui-Gon heard the concern in her voice and looked with alarm at his Padawan.  "What's wrong?"

Jenna looked up at him with concern.  "It is his eyes, Qui-Gon.  He was blinded in the blast and his knee cap was shattered."

Qui-Gon knelt next to Obi Wan and looked closely at him.

"It is nothing, Master."

Qui-Gon tutted at him and Obi Wan fell silent.  Jenna frowned but held her tongue.  Qui-Gon examined his eyes and touched his fingertips gently to either side of Obi-Wan's forehead.  He then took his hands away and looked down at his leg.  He gave Obi Wan a glance before touching him.  "I am going to look at your leg now, Obi Wan.  This may hurt."

Obi Wan nodded.  Jenna took his hand in hers and held it.  Qui-Gon hid a smile and gently probed the kneecap, trying to find out how bad the injury was.  Obi Wan flinched a little but made no noise.  Jenna squeezed his hand but said nothing.  Her people had begun filing cautiously out of the tunnel, Rafael gently urging them to file passed quietly so as not to disturb the Jedi.  Sympathetic looks were cast their way as they left.  At last Qui-Gon took his hand away,  "Hrrmmm."

Jenna frowned at him.  "How bad is it?"

Qui-Gon looked at her, he had forgotten she was there.  "It can be mended but not here."

Jenna jumped up and glanced around to pick out a couple of strong men to carry him but as she turned she saw that Qui-Gon had already lifted Obi Wan up in his strong arms.  He smiled at her as if he had read her thoughts.  "Come Jenna, Obi Wan will be fine but I do not trust this tunnel to remain safe for long."

Jenna nodded and followed him outside.  Jenna had a camp set up near to water and went to fetch herbs.  Qui-Gon let her go, a smile teasing his lips.  He gently helped Obi Wan to lay flat and straightened the damaged leg.  Beads of sweat formed on Obi Wan's forehead and he went a little pale but he did not cry out.  Qui-Gon looked at him for a moment, a quiet pride filling him.  Jenna returned with the herbs and made them into a hot infusion which she urged Obi Wan to sip.  While she helped him to half sit and drink the tea, Qui-Gon discussed the healing trance he was going to put Obi Wan into.  Jenna frowned but supposed the Jedi knew what he was doing.  Obi Wan appeared to trust him completely.  She let him lie back down but insisted on staying with him.  Qui-Gon smiled at her then quietly guided Obi Wan into a healing trance.  As his breathing slowed and became more shallow, Jenna shot an anxious glance at Qui-Gon but he ignored her.  Once in trance, he looked at her kindly.

"He will be alright, Jenna.  This is a Jedi technique of self healing.  He will need proper attention when we get back home but much can be done now to knit the shattered knee back together."

"What about his eyesight?"

"There is no great damage, most of it is shock.  The sight will return of its' own accord."

Jenna frowned.  "How can you be so sure?"

Qui-Gon smiled at her as he rose slowly to his feet.  "Trust in the Force, Jenna."

With a little bow he left them.  Jenna looked down at the calm sleeping face of Obi Wan Kenobi and wondered.  She stayed with him, wiping his brow and watching over him as studiously as any angel of mercy.  Qui-Gon looked in from time to time and smiled.  By morning, Qui-Gon was ready to bring him out of trance.  Jenna was as anxious as a cat on hot bricks much to Qui-Gon's amusement.  Even Rafael had popped his head in to see how the patient was doing.  It seemed everyone had warmed to his young apprentice.  Obi Wan awoke slowly, blinked his eyes as if from a long restful sleep and squeezed his eyes a couple of times.  When he opened them again Jenna's anxious face came hazily into focus.  He smiled up at her.

"Hello, Jenna."

Shocked Jenna touched his forehead lightly.  "You can see me?"

Obi Wan chuckled and tried to sit up but she put a hand on his shoulder preventing him from rising.  "Yes, of course.  It was a bump, no more."

Jenna looked at Qui-Gon in amazement.  "What did you do?"

Qui-Gon shrugged.  "I did nothing.  The Force healed him."

Jenna looked down at Obi Wan's leg.  Following her eyes he wiggled his toes then grinned at her.  She frowned at him.  "Does it hurt?"

He shook his head, amused.  "No."

Not long after, Qui-Gon and Obi Wan made ready to leave.  Jenna's people furnished them with a new flyer to replace the one they had crashed in.  Obi Wan looked at his Master and Qui-Gon nodded, knowing his Padawan wanted a moment alone to say goodbye to Jenna.  Once he had gone inside the ship he turned to thank her.  Her eyes widened in surprise.

"No, Obi Wan, it is I who should thank you.  You and your Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.  Without your help I do not know what would have happened to my people."

Obi Wan gave a light laugh.  She liked the sound of it.  It was good and wholesome like Obi Wan.  "You heard what Qui-Gon said, you and your people were never in any real danger."

Jenna nodded but her eyes were serious.  "Yes, but we didn't know that."

"No,"  he conceded with quiet understanding,  "you didn't."

He turned to go and she put a hand on his arm.  The stars were just begining to come out in the sky above their heads.  "Look at the stars Obi Wan.  God has lit them to light you safely home."

Obi Wan smiled.  "Thank you, Jenna."

Jenna leant forward and kissed him gently on the lips.  "Take care, Obi Wan, and when you look up at your stars think sometimes of me."

He smiled back and glanced at the stars one last time.  "Every star in the heavens will remind me of you, Jenna."

Jenna laughed knowing he was teasing her, but it delighted her all the same.  "And don't forget Obi Wan Kenobi, when you are an old and venerable Jedi and get tired of roaming the stars, there will always be a place at my camp fire for you."

Obi Wan laughed and wished her well.  She watched the ship take off with a smile and a heavy heart.  As the vapour trail disappeared she gazed at the stars he had left behind him.  She knew that as long as she lived, she would never forget Obi Wan nor the dreams he chased out there among the stars....
 
 
 

**********    T H E    E N D    **********