Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,146
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,552

Catalyst

Summary:

Commander Sinclair is the first season Commander of "Babylon 5".  Captain John Sheridan takes over command of the space station from the second season onwards. The two questions are ones that recur in the series and take on significant meaning as the series progresses.  Chance Harper has never known why he has the "Strange Luck" he has and is intrigued by this possible explanation.

Work Text:

 

"CATALYST"
A short "Strange Luck"/"Babylon 5" crossover story
written by Alison M. DOBELL

*   *   *

CHANCE HARPER'S APARTMENT
 
Chance is not sure where he is but knows that he is dreaming.  A figure appears in a blue glow and all the lights go out.  The figure is in some kind of uniform. Chance does not recognise him.  There is a gravity and calm about the figure that gives it a strange authority. The man looks at Chance for a moment before speaking. "Who are you?"

"Chance Harper.  Who are you?"

The figure gives a partial fleeting smile.  "Who I am is not important but since you ask I will tell you. My name is Commander Sinclair."  He pauses briefly as if weighing up what he is seeing.  "What do you want, Chance Harper?"

Chance looks confused.  "I don't know, I don't understand the question."

Sinclair raises his eyebrows.  "It is not a trick question.  Just answer as truthfully as you can.  What do you want?"

Chance thinks for a moment.  Sinclair takes the opportunity to explain.  "Until you can answer those two questions - who you are and what you want - nothing else makes sense.  So I will ask you again.  What do you want?"

"I don't know exactly, the same things most people want I guess.  A home, family, kids..."

Sinclair shakes his head and drops his voice another octave.  "What do you want?"

Chance frowns, wondering why he is so insistent.  He thinks about the question before finally giving his answer. "I think I just want to make a difference."

Sinclair looks at him then nods and gives an enigmatic smile as if pleased by the response.  "That is why these things keep happening to you.  Your desire, your need to help, draws these events to you and you to them. It is cathartic."

Chance looks at him, not comprehending.  "I don't understand."

"A good beginning!"

Before Chance can think of anything else to say the figure fades before his eyes leaving him alone for a moment in the darkness.  He is not alone for long before another blue glow appears, gradually intensifying until another figure stands in the place of Sinclair.  Again the figure is in uniform, but this man's expression is less grave, more open and affable.  He appears to he standing on some kind of circular platform several feet above Chance.  The figure looks at him for a moment, hands clasped behind his back.  "My name is Captain John Sheridan.  I have been described as a Nexus, where I turn the Universe is inclined to follow."  The figure pauses then points a finger at Chance.  "You, on the other hand, are a Catalyst!"

Chance is really bewildered now but he is also intrigued.  "A catalyst?  Why?"

Sheridan pauses.  "Everything happens for a reason. All things have a purpose in the Universe.  As someone once told me, there are no co-incidences just lost opportunities.  But sometimes things go off the rails, events come off track.  What was meant to happen doesn't happen because of it or at least not in the same way and that is where you come in.  You are either drawn to those moments or have the capacity to draw them to you.  Either way, the result is the same.  You somehow tip the balance and put things back on track."

Chance tilts his head and gives him a suspicious look.  "Why me?  Why not someone else?"

Sheridan shrugs.  "Why any of us?  All I know is that this is how it IS.  Life does not come with a handbook, Chance.  You learn as you go along.  It's all any of us can do.  Just remember this: you are the right person, in the right place, at the right time!"

*   *   *

THE BLUE PLATE DINER
 

Angie looks at Chance in concern.  He has not said a word since he walked through the door.  "Are you alright, Chance?  You look like you've just seen a ghost!"

Chance gives her an odd look then slides onto a stool at the counter.  "Maybe I have."

Chance pauses then leans forward and looks intently at Angie.  "I'm a catalyst, Ange.  That's why all these things keep happening to me!"

Angie raises her eyebrows and finishes pouring him a coffee.  She pushes the cup across the counter towards him. "Who told you that?"

Chance gives her a rueful look.  "Don't ask - you don't want to know!"

Angie tilts her head.  "If you don't tell me, how do I know that I don't want to know?"

For a moment Chance just looks at her, then a slow smile creeps over his face quirking up one side of his face in amusement.  His smile always reminds Angie of the sun coming up.  Angie smiles back.  "That's better.  So tell me what happened."

Chance sips his coffee then cradles the cup in his hands.  "It was weird, Ange.  It was like I was on this space ship..."  Chance stops and corrects himself.  "No, it was a space station!"

Angie looks at him with interest.  "How do you know that?"

Chance looks at her then shakes his head dismissing it.  "Anyway, there was this Captain - he seemed to be in charge of the place - and he was asking me all these questions..."

"What sort of questions?"

Chance shrugs.  "I don't know, it was like I was being tested."

Angie looks alarmed.  "You were on a UFO?"

Chance shakes his head then smiles to reassure her. Angie relaxes, for a moment there he had her worried.

"No, they were people just like us except they wore uniforms, looked military.  I had the distinct feeling Ange, that they were from our future."

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know, it's just a feeling I have.  I can't explain it."

"Did they tell you anything else?"

Chance gives her a serious look.  "Just that I was the right person, in the right place, at the right time!"

For a few moments neither of them says anything, each lost in their own thoughts.  At last Chance breaks the silence.  "What do you think I should do?"

"Did they tell you to do anything?"

Chance shakes his head.  Angie picks up a tea cloth. "Then don't do anything."

"But what if they come back?"

Angie looks at him and gives him a gentle smile. "You could always tell them about this really great diner you know..."

"But the Captain said he was a Nexus, where he turns the Universe is inclined to follow."

Angie beams back at him.  "Exactly.  And we could always use the trade."
  
 

*******   T H E   E N D   *******

Any comments can be sent to me at alisondobell@madasafish.com