Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2009-01-19
Words:
1,332
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,508

Dear (Slash) Abbey

Summary:

Ask Dear Abbey

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: chapter 1

Notes:

Fandom: Sentinel
Pairing: Jim/Blair
Rating: G
Status: complete
Archive: for Sarah
Series: never say never
Feedback: if onlist, I'll thank you prettily, if offlist, I'll talk your head off, ebulliently
Feedback #2: If you want to write your reply after reading this, please do!
Disclaimer: Owned by a Fly which is Petted and a Pare which has been Mounted.
Notes: This is hack/slash. What is a hack/slash writer? You're reading her.
Warnings: Not beta-ed. I can't find anyone who'd want to touch this or anything else I write with a ten-foot long, slender piece of wood, sometimes tapering at the ends.

Chapter Text



Dear (Slash) Abbey
by Susan

 

 

"Washington Living" c/o The Cascade Herald
CascadeNews.com
Friday, May 3, 2002
Section C, Page 3

Dear Abbey,

Sorry for burdening you with this long letter, but I feel that you need details to understand my dilemna, before you can give advice.

My lover Blaine (not his real name) and I are immensely happy in our home and careers. He's a popular anthropology professor and part-time consultant to a metropolitan police force (where I also am employed.) We co-own a comfortable loft in an upscale neighborhood.

Blaine and I have shared a special bond since the day we met at a local hospital. I could not ask for a more fulfilling and joyful relationship. I consider him my best friend, lover, and life companion.

I have special needs; some might refer to them as sensory disabilities.

Blaine has gone every difficult step of the way, always by my side, supporting me. He's the dearest, most beautiful man I've ever known. He makes me feel needed, alive; he's everything to me. Everything!

We've recently come out as domestic partners at our jobs. My younger brother, our close friends and co-workers have showered us with tremendous support.

Slash Abbie, our lives together are practically perfect. We share an intimacy most couples, gay or straight, can only envy.

Now, the problem--my father!

Bill is a semi-retired corporate executive. I've never been close to him. (My mother deserted us when we were children.) My brother and I have only recently become friends again.

Now, Blaine wants us to make amends to each other for the past coolness. He has his heart set on a commitment ceremony, and wants my father to stand up with me when I take my wedding vows.

Slash Abbie, I can't deny my Heart anything! Tell me what to do to make up with the old coot!

Bill's gruff, acid-tongued, stubborn as hell, and has even told homophobic jokes in my presence. I don't even know if I can quite forgive him for the emotional abuse I suffered as a teenager under his care. To him, my handicaps were not gifts from the Creator, as Blaine has so lovingly convinced me now that they are, but to Bill they were an embarrassment; he actually called me a "freak", and that he was ashamed of me being his oldest son. He pitted my brother and I against each other for years, too, in trying to compete for his attention and affection.

He's only met Blaine once, and was not too enthused with my partner, whom he does not yet realize isn't just my partner at work, but my life partner. My lover has long hair, wears earrings, and rarely puts on a suit and tie, which does not fit in with Bill's image of a son-in-law, even if he were to accept him as such.

How do you suggest I go about this? Do I come out to Dad first, as his gay son, or do I try to mend fences in the father/son relationship before giving the old man a heart attack asking him to give the "groom" away?

Eagerly waiting your sage advice,

Jaguar Jim.

 

 

END part 1