Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
755
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
950

Solitude

Summary:

He was flying – without an airplane.  Caught up in the exhilarating freedom of it all, his lips spread into a wide, almost feral smile

Work Text:

Solitude
by Sam-Tony
 
He was flying – without an airplane.  Caught up in the exhilarating freedom of it all, his lips spread into a wide, almost feral smile.  He was actually flying!
 
High above the earth Lex Luthor clung to the arms carrying him, trying not to shiver as the wind that whipped around them from their superspeed passage grew steadily colder and still Lex had no clue as to where Clark was taking him.  Early on in their flight he had briefly worried about land-air detection and what they could possibly say if caught, before ultimately dismissing the concern and shrugging a little closer into his friend’s body heat.  Even if by some unlikely chance they were detected, Clark would be a blip on the radar and gone.
 
That being said, Lex had just about decided his nose was going to ice over and fall off below the blindfold when Clark shifted the slightest bit and they started to descend.
 
“Clark?”
 
“We’re here.”
 
“Since I’m as blind as a bat right now Clark, mind telling me where ‘here’ is?”
 
“My fortress,” Clark told him, and if this had been anyone other than Clark, the hesitation combined with the blindfold would have had his paranoia jumping through hoops to be heard.  But this was Clark, his friend who literally did not have a mean bone in that invulnerable body; Clark who had saved his life many times over in the years since they had first met.
 
“I’ve seen your fortress, Clark,” Lex couldn’t help but remind him, drawling archly as they landed and his feet finally touched the ground; something soft and cold crunching under and seeping in through the expensive Italian leather of his shoes.  Definitely *not* the wood and mismatched throw rugs of the barn that Lex knew.
 
“No,” Clark insisted, again with that something almost apologetic in the soft tone.  “You haven’t.”
 
Before he could ask the question dancing on the tip of his tongue, Clark removed the blindfold and Lex was immediately assaulted by all things glowing and white.  His first impression was of *crystals*; a forest of quartz crystals growing out of the snow everywhere, glowing with a soft white light and illuminating what looked to be acres and acres of snow and more crystals as far as Lex could see.  In fact, the only blot of color to mar that perfect expanse of white was a dark evergreen Christmas tree across a small ‘clearing’, garlanded in round, frosted ornaments that reflected the cheerful peekaboo points of multicolored fairy lights and strands of popcorn.
 
It was beautiful.
 
“Clark – what is all this?”
 
Despite the oddness of their surroundings, he relaxed back into Clark’s warmth as the larger body stepped in behind him, those long arms reaching around and holding him gently.  “My last secret, Lex.  I don’t ever want anything else to stand between us.”
 
A wonderful sentiment no doubt, and one he would definitely break back out and cherish later, but that didn’t answer the question.  “But what is it, Clark?”
 
“Apparently the crystal from the ship decided I needed somewhere to go to learn about my abilities and my planet’s history so I could keep it from happening to this one.”  Clark confided. “This seems to be a replica of my parents home on Krypton.  More or less.”
 
“It’s beautiful.” Lex told him; and it was.  Whatever else this crystal forest was, it wasn’t cold, despite the ice and snow of the arctic all around them, and it was quiet.  Peaceful.  Almost as if the space itself had been transplanted from another world.  Given what Clark had just told him, perhaps it had been…
 
A quiet sigh ghosted over his ear just as he spotted the ‘bed’ – a sunken circular pit filled high with fur blankets (in white, of course) and the odd, colorfully quilted blanket from the farm tucked behind a wall of more crystals a few feet away.  The implication along with the heat of the moist breath on his skin made him shiver, though it definitely wasn’t from the cold.
 
“I wanted to share this with you,” Clark told him, hugging him comfortably.  “No more secrets.”
 
“No more secrets,” Lex agreed, feeling the last bit of Lionel Luthor fall away, the old shadows banished by the soft light.  Far from empty, he felt complete in a way he never had before; warmed by the love and trust that had replaced it.  “Merry Christmas, Clark.”
 
“That’s supposed to be my line,” Clark chided gently and Lex could feel the smile in the press of lips against the bald curve of his head.  “Merry Christmas.”
 
End