Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
21,889
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
19
Hits:
1,422

Red Velvet

Summary:

Vin suddenly realizes that he has met Ezra before Four Corners.

Work Text:

 

Red Velvet
By Starwinder


*************************************************
Present Day
The Standish Tavern Four Corners,
*************************************************

Ezra Standish rubbed his forehead and sighed. He was thoroughly tired of Buck Wilmington's teasing. Ever since he had been forced to wear that horrid purple dress into Wickestown to help rescue Mrs. Travis, the big gunfighter had been teasing him unmercifully and nothing he could say would shut the man up.

Except for Buck's teasing, it was an otherwise peaceful night. They were all sitting around their usual table in the saloon. Ezra had just won yet another hand of poker. He'd hoped that taking all of Buck's money would quiet the man down but even that hadn't worked.

"Yep," Buck was saying, "gotta find ya a green dress ta match your eyes. That purple thing weren't the right color!"

Ezra squeezed his eyes shut.

[Why don't you tell him to shut up, Mister Larabee. He'd listen to you.]

No relief came from that direction.

Vin, however, sighed and shifted in his seat beside Buck giving the big gunfighter an annoyed look.

For an instant Ezra thought the taciturn tracker might say something in his defense but the man only sunk deeper into his chair. It took a moment to register then Ezra realized that Vin seemed to be sorry that he'd ever came up with the idea of Ezra wearing the dress to Wickestown... not because it hadn't been a good idea... or because it hadn't worked. It was and it did... but because Buck just couldn't seem to let it go. He would have to mull that over later.

He gave a mental sigh. [Oh, well. If you can't beat them....]

"Actually Mister Wilmington I don't care that much for green," he said pleasantly. "If you insist on buying me a dress then Ah must insist that it be a color that *Ah* like."

He pushed back his chair and rose gracefully to his feet, moving towards the stairs. "Ah believe," he said haughtily as he crossed the floor, waving a hand in the air, "that Ah would prefer something in red."

He half turned at the bottom of the stairs to look back over his shoulder, his eyes slightly lowered, that enigmatic smile on his lips. "Red velvet... and satin...." He sighed, as he turned back and glided up the stairs.

Buck's mouth was hanging open as he turned to gape at Chris but his old friend was staring at Vin.

The tracker had gone white, "Red velvet...." The words were barely audible, "...and satin..." he swallowed hard and started to push his chair back and rise, staggering as he did, "Oh, God! Oh, my God!"

Josiah sprang up reaching out to catch Vin's arm.

Vin looked at him in disbelief, "It was Ez." The utter dismay in his voice was clear, "I... he... we...." He stammered as he pulled loose from the preacher and fled the saloon, leaving five confused men behind him.

"What was Ezra?" Chris demanded of the world at large.

Vin staggered out into the night air his mind in a whirl. Without even thinking about it he headed for the stables. In minutes he had Peso saddled and was riding out.

Back in the saloon Chris started for the door.

"Let him go, Chris." Josiah advised. "You know how he is. He'll ride out to think and be back when he comes to a decision."

"I want to know what the hell is going on!" Chris snarled.

"Maybe..." JD started to suggest then faltered as the other four men turned to look at him.

"Maybe what, Kid?" Buck asked.

"Well, I was just thinking that he said, that it was Ezra... so wouldn't Ezra know what he was talking about?"

*************************************************

Ezra had barely gotten his jacket off and hung up before an angry Chris Larabee was pounding on his door.

He frowned, when he opened it and all five of the other six peacekeepers stormed in led by a furious gunfighter.

"What the hell did you do to Vin?"

"Mister Tanner? Why nothing so far as I know." Ezra preferred to play it cool, in light of the anger burning in Larabee's eyes and the fact that he had no idea what Chris was talking about.

"Something that you said when you were leaving upset him! Bad enough to send him running for the hills!" Chris snarled, "...and I want to know what the hell it was!"

"I'm sure I don't have a clue." Ezra answered, trying to appear calm as he removed his cravat and lay it on the dresser.

"Calm down, Chris." Buck said, laying a hand on Larabee's arm. He turned to Ezra and went on. "You said something about red velvet and satin. Vin repeated that and then he said. 'Oh, God! Oh, my God! It was Ez. I... he... we...?" Buck looked at Ezra and asked in an amused voice, "So, what'd ya'll do and how come Vin didn't know it was you... until now."

"Oh, Lord! He's finally realized...." Ezra moved shakily towards the bed and sank down on the edge of it, putting his head in his hands. After a moment he ran his hands through his hair and sat up with a sigh.

Taking a deep breath... and steeling himself to tell a tale he'd hoped no one would ever hear... he straightened and faced the other men. "I should have known when he came up with the idea for that ridiculous masquerade at Wickestown that he was aware on some level that I had done it before."

"Are you saying that you pretended to be a woman and fooled Vin?" Buck asked incredulously. "...our Vin who has always seen right through ya?"

"...and he just now figured out that it was you?" Josiah put in.

"Apparently." Ezra said wit h a sigh. "It was a long time ago."

He stood and looked at the other men. "You might as well get comfortable. It is a rather long story."

The men spread themselves around the room, Nathan, Josiah and Buck made themselves comfortable on the bed. JD was too hyper to sit anywhere.

Chris leaned against the foot of the bed. He motioned for Ezra to sit in the rocking chair.

Ezra declined. "Ah believe I'll stay on my feet." He gave them a wry smile, "Just in case Ah need a running start."

The wise crack broke the tension a bit, drawing chuckles from the others.

Ezra began to pace, gathering his thoughts. How to tell this so that it held enough of the truth to satisfy them yet did not get him shot. After a moment he took a deep breath and began. "It was one of Mother's con's. The year was eighteen sixty-eight. I had just turned twenty-one when Mother sent for me to come to Galveston," he looked up and clarified, "Texas."

That got him some nods, indicating that they had all heard of Galveston.

"It was not until after I arrived in Galveston that I became aware of her intentions..."

*************************************************
Galveston Texas,
June 17th 1868
*************************************************

The handsome young man, imperiously slim and impeccably dressed, swung down from the saddle and tied his horse in front of the small hotel on the outskirts of the town. He was not noticeably armed and looked even younger than his twenty-one years. Quite the young dandy, in his flat-brimmed, black hat and dovetailed, velvet jacket, he gave no outward sign of how dangerous he could be. The derringer up his sleeve and the Colt Richards Conversion in its shoulder holster were invisible under the fashionably tailored jacket. He crossed the boardwalk and opened the door, stepping into the hotel lobby. He wrinkled his nose at the faintly fishy smell that assaulted his nostrils.

Well, that was to be expected, he supposed. Galveston was a port town and the hurricane season was well begun. No doubt at some point this pitiable hostel had been under water. Trust Mother to pick such a place to meet him. Heaven forbid that she might be seen with him somewhere that they might encounter the rich mark she had her eye on.

The letter had found him in New Orleans, a city that Mother had been forced to vacate, several months before due to a misunderstanding with a very wealthy gentleman. Fortunately he hadn't been involved in that particular swindle. Great Aunt Yvonne had been more than glad to allow him to stay on with her in New Orleans when Mother had fled... and he had been more than delighted to be free of his Mother's influence even if he knew it wouldn't last... and it hadn't. Almost two months to the day after Mother left the letter had arrived. Short and to the point as always.

   My darling boy,
   Come at once. I require your assistance. I am at the Seaside Hotel, Galveston Texas.
   Mother

He stepped up to the desk and cleared his throat.

The weary looking clerk glanced up. "Ain't got no rooms."

"I merely wish to inquire as to what room Miss Maude Sinclair is in." He stated, asking for his mother by the name that had been in the return address on the letter, while giving the clerk a look that said he wouldn't be caught dead in this dump.

"Two oh seven." The bored clerk said, then added, "She ain't up there."

"Really?" One eyebrow quirked and he sneered slightly, "Then I suppose I shall simply have to wait." He turned away towards one of the large overstuffed chairs in the lobby.

As soon as the clerk went back to whatever he had been doing, the young man veered off and moved quickly but silently up the rickety stairs, muttering softly to himself. "Come at once. Require your assistance. And she's not even heah when Ah arrive."

He made his way to the second floor and along the hall until he saw the proper room number. Checking up and down the hall and seeing no one he reached down and pulled a long thin piece of metal out of his boot. In just a few seconds he had picked the lock on the door.

He stepped into the room his eyes quickly sweeping it as he shoved the door closed and automatically locked it behind him.

Then as what was in the room registered he swore, "Shit! I should have known she'd get even with me for staying in New Orleans! Goddammit!"

The room was filled with mannequins, each wearing a dress... none of which would fit his mother.

"Oh, no!" He turned and tugged at the door, momentarily forgetting that he had locked it. "She's *not* doing this to me. I will *not* do this. She can just forget it!"

He got the door unlocked and yanked it open. He stepped back just as quickly.

"Ezra! Darhling!" His mother smiled widely and wrapped her arms around him, while continuing to walk towards him, effectively backing him into the room. She released him and turned, closing the door and automatically locking it behind her.

"M-mother," Ezra stammered. [Damn! Trapped like a rat on a sinking ship!]

"It's so good to see you, dear." Maude Sinclair (actually Maude Standish) gushed at her only child. She moved past him and went to sit on the edge of the bed, "Aren't the dresses lovely, darhling."

"Yes, Mother." Ezra couldn't deny that. The dresses were exquisite. "However, I just don't think they are quite *me*... if you know what I mean." He backed towards the door and escape.

Maude quickly got to her feet and walked over to him, slipping her arm through his and led him over to one of the mannequins, one which had a beautiful white velvet and satin dancing dress on it. The hoop skirt stood out in a perfect circle.

Ezra swallowed hard.

"I thought that this would be perfect for your introduction to Galveston society."

"Mother. I simply do not see how you think that I could ever wear such a... a... *revealing* dress." Granted he had dressed as a girl once before but he'd only been twelve and the dress had effectively covered him completely. This dress however... this dress was absolutely scandalous! It was cut to the top of the breasts in front and almost to the waist in back. Good Lord!

"It'll be fine darhling! We have two weeks before the Independence Day Celebration begins and the Grand Ball is several days after that."

"Motheeeeerrrrr!" He growled, "I really fail to see how you expect me to... to... develop a... a bosom in two weeks." He stammered.

"Oh you don't have to worry about that, dear. The corset will do that."

"C-corset?" This was getting worse by the moment.

"Yes, dear." She smiled brightly at him.

He was doomed.

His gaze wondered around the room as he sought some escape. Well at least she had good taste. His gaze fell on a red velvet dancing dress, much like the white one except for the color. Exquisite. He loved velvet and red was his favorite color.

Definitely doomed... utterly, completely doomed.

*************************************************

A week later, June 24, 1868

Ezra rolled his eyes as Maude yet again set the book on his head.

"Keep your chin up, dear." She instructed. "Back straight. You simply can not slouch! Walk slowly but steadily. A lady does not *hurry*."

Groaning inwardly Ezra obeyed, silently sniping that it would be a great deal easier if he weren't wearing twenty pounds of dress and petticoats. Who the hell ever said that women were the weaker sex obviously had never had to pretend to be one.

He shuddered slightly at the memory of the hair removal that had taken place two days before. He'd protested loudly. Maude had serenely informed him that it had to be done. A lady simply could not appear in polite society with hair anywhere but on her head.

Warm wax... smeared in strips on his face, then cloth strips pressed into it while still warm. It hadn't been too bad... until the wax cooled and Maude *ripped* it off. Then she insisted on doing his arms... his arms! He shuddered again. Thank god she had relented and allowed him to simply shave *under* his arms. He was quite certain he would have fainted dead away if she'd ripped that hair out. If she decided to remove the hair from his legs he was leaving... he didn't care if he was stark naked at the time... he was leaving... right then and there, running like hell just as fast and far as he could!

He was quite sure that should he ever be captured and tortured by wild Indians that he had nothing to fear. Mother could undoubtedly give them lessons!

"Excellent, dear!" Maude exclaimed.

He had actually managed to make it across the floor, turn and walk back to her without the book falling. [Finally! This is over.]

"Now, let us see how you do on the stairs." Maude smiled brightly.

"The stairs! You want me to walk down the stairs in this... this... outrageous outfit with a book on my head! I can barely manage the stairs in this dress without the damned book! I will fall and break my neck! Is that what you want?"

"Of course not, darling! That would defeat the purpose. Now don't be a pessimist. I'm sure you can do it."

He bowed his head giving it a slight shake, then reached up to run his hand through his hair, stopping when his hand touched the complex hairdo that now adorned his head. Even that gesture was denied him now.

She'd shaved his head. *Shaved* it... and glued the bloody wig on. She brushed it and combed it and fixed it like it was actually his hair. He hated it! There was no way that he could slip his fingers through his hair now, gently massaging his aching head... and his head ached almost constantly.

He was a blonde now. He closed his eyes. He looked entirely too much like her with blonde hair.

He took a deep breath and clutched the book in his hand, "Very well, Mother," he snapped. Turning on his heel he marched out the door and down the hall.

Maude followed him, shaking her head at his unladylike gait.

At the top of the stairs he stopped, took another deep breath and placed the book on top his head. He held it a moment balancing it, then he stepped down to the first step. He moved with easy grace, the book on his head, his hands lifting his skirts out of his way just so. His anger at his mother translating into determination to get it right the first time... and get it right he did.

Behind him, he didn't hear Maude whisper, "That's mah boy!", as he floated regally down the stairs.

He turned at the bottom and ascended the stairs, the book still sitting solidly on his head.

Maude greeted him with a smile, "Perfect darling. Absolutely perfect. Ah do believe you are ready for us to move into the Imperial Hotel."

He sighed. Well, the sooner they got started on the actual con the sooner it would be over and he could get out of this cursed corset.

*************************************************

They packed quickly and took the first stage out to the east. They got off at the first stage stop and waited for the next westbound stage. Ezra had been adamant on one thing and Maude had finally given in. She knew that if she did not Ezra would abandon the game.

His horse, Gamble, went with them, tied behind the stagecoach. He had raised the four-year-old bay gelding from a colt and absolutely refused to leave the animal in a livery not knowing when he could return for him. Gamble might be curious about why his master was wearing a skirt but he really didn't care. He would know his master anywhere, recognizing him by scent rather than sight.

*************************************************

Two days later June 26, 1868

They stepped out of the stagecoach in front of the Imperial Hotel. It was a huge building, housing not only the hotel but also a large bar and a gigantic ballroom. Four stories high and painted pure white, with gingerbread dripping from the eaves of the wrap around verandah, it was a sight to behold.

Bellhops surged out to greet the stage. Handlers poured out of the livery to take charge of the stagecoach horses. One took Gamble's bridle, freeing it from where it was tied and giving it a yank to start the horse towards the stables. When the high-spirited horse objected to the rough handling the stable hand took the loose end of the reins and slapped it across the horses withers.

"Stop that!" The voice was sharp but girlish. 

The handler ignored it. A moment later he felt a kick to the back of one knee that made it buckle. Before he could catch himself the other knee was kicked out. He found himself on the ground as the horse's reins were yanked out of his hands.

Looking up, he was stunned to see a pretty young woman, more of a girl really, with blonde hair, standing over him. Her green eyes flashed with anger.

"How dare you manhandle mah horse!" She snapped.

"I wasn't...."

"The hell you weren't!"

"Elizabeth Marie Sinclair!" An older blonde woman, obviously her mother strode over. "Watch your mouth young lady!" She admonished the girl, grabbing her arm. Then she ordered, "Let the man take him to the stable."

"I'll take him mah self!" Elizabeth snapped as she jerked free and backed the horse away from the stable hand.

"Elizabeth!" The older woman's scolded.

The stable hand had scrambled to his feet and was reaching for the reins again.

Her jaw jutting out stubbornly, Elizabeth dropped the reins and stepped in to meet him, giving him a shove that landed him back on the ground. "I said, I'll tend him... and if ah evah see you neah him again I'll... I'll *sue* you! Mah daddy's a lawyer!"

With that she spun around with her head high and grabbing a handful of mane, swung up astride the horse, quickly turning him and riding towards the stables.

Maude shook her head and muttered to no one in particular, "I declarah that child will be the death of me yet."

She turned to the bellhops, instructing several of them to take their bags to the hotel lobby then turned and strode after her wayward 'daughter'. She caught up with Elizabeth as she slid off the horse and led it into the stables, searching for an empty stall.

Elizabeth found one next to a large black horse. The black's owner, a rough looking man, wearing buckskins was brushing his horse, talking to it gently as he did so.

"Elizabeth!" Maude snapped. "You can not tend your own horse! A lady simply does not..."

"Screw what a lady does! He's mine and Ah will not let that imbecilic, half-witted, miscreant lay a hand on him!"

"Young lady you are not thirteen any more! You are sixteen and about to be introduced to polite society..."

"Stuff polite society! If it means I can't see to it that Gamble is taken care of I don't want to be introduced to society!"

"This is not about you! Now you will do as you are told!" Maude grabbed her arm again and Elizabeth jerked away again.

"It's never about me!' Elizabeth snapped right back.

"Ma'am?" The quiet voice from the next stall silenced them both as they turned to see who had spoken. He stepped out where they could see him. "Ah could see to him, if ya want... ma'am." He reached up and took his hat off letting them see his face better. He self-consciously brushed his hair back from his face with the other hand. His light brown hair was long, falling below his shoulders. Dressed in buckskins and moccasins he looked every bit the wild mountain man although he also looked to be no more than nineteen or twenty.

Elizabeth stared at him, transfixed. He had the most beautiful blue eyes that she had ever seen.

"Ah'd take real good care of him." He grinned suddenly, blue eyes twinkling, "Blackie here'll tell ya that." He gestured towards the big black that he'd been brushing.

The big horse had turned in the stall to face the aisle and now obligingly bobbed its head up and down in agreement before snuffling at the plainsman's hair.

Maude looked doubtful but Elizabeth dropped Gamble's reins and stepped over to stretch out a hand to the big horse, "Hello, Blackie," she crooned. "Does he treat you right big fella?"

Blackie snuffled over the hand that was held out to him then bobbed his head up and down again.

"Good!" She smiled up at the plainsman, a sweet charming smile. Then her face went serious again, "How much should I pay you?"

He shook his head, "Nothin'. Favor for a friend." He set his hat on his head and tipped it to the two ladies before reaching for Gamble's bridle.

He held out a hand to let the horse get his scent as he spoke quietly to it.

Gamble liked this man. He treated him gently like his own master did. With one last glance at Elizabeth, he followed the plainsman into the stall.

"Now will you come along?' Maude demanded.

With a sigh, Elizabeth nodded and started to follow her mother out of the stables then suddenly she whirled around and strode back to the stall where the plainsman was tending Gamble.

He looked up with a question in his eyes as she reappeared.

She smiled at him, "I almost forgot. We haven't been introduced. I'm Elizabeth Sinclair."

He grinned at her, eyes twinkling, "Ah know, reckon everybody does. Elizabeth Marie Sinclair. Yer ma's got quite a pair of lungs."

Elizabeth laughed, a soft sweet sound. "Well, Mother *was* an actress in her youth... and an actress must learn to project to the back of the theatah so that she can be heard by all in attendance." She looked back towards her mother. "I really must go, mister...?" She let it trail off into a question one elegant eyebrow quirking upward.

"Tanner. Vin Tanner." He held out one rough hand and she lay her smaller, soft one in it, letting him hold it for a moment longer than was entirely proper.

She ducked her head, suddenly shy but she wore a pleased smiled. "I... I really must go. Mother is waiting." She pulled her hand from his reluctantly.

He stood and watched as she walked away.

*************************************************

"What in bloody blazes did you think you were doing?" Maude yelled at Ezra. She was stalking back and forth in front of him as he sat sullen and silent in one of the chairs in the large sitting room of their hotel suite. "You could have ruined the setup before we even got into the hotel!"

"I don't care!" Ezra yelled back, jumping to his feet. "Nobody mistreats my horse! You're lucky Ah didn't shoot the bastard!" He snarled popping the derringer out of the sleeve of his traveling dress to show her that he could have done so,

"Dear God! You're wearing that thing!" She gasped then drew herself up. "Give it heah. I won't have you carrying it while we're here. If anyone spots it we're finished."

He sighed but shook his head. "No, Mother. I'll put it up but I will *not* give it to you."

"Tomorrow night is the DuPree's invitational dance. I have invitations and you will attend. You will behave yourself and you will make first contact with William DuPree. You can not flirt overtly. You must appear innocent, even shy to everyone around you while driving the poor boy to distraction when no one can see."

She sat down with a sigh, "By the night of the Independence Day Ball I expect you to have him driven to the point where he will do something rash... rash enough that his father will pay us a great deal of money to quietly disappear."

"Exactly what did you have in mind, Mother?" Ezra asked tiredly.

"Rash enough that you have to call for help to fight him off... the couple across the hall is in my employ. They will be listening for your screams and respond immediately to stand as witnesses to the assault. Should he tear your dress that would be even better."

"In other words you want me to provoke the young man to attempt rape... and make certain that there are witnesses."

"Precisely. He is the heir to the DuPree fortune. His father can not have him involved in a scandal. He will pay well to make it go away."

Ezra sighed, "Yes, Mother." His mind wandered back to a pair of clear blue eyes and he wondered idly what it would take to provoke the taciturn plainsman into doing something rash. A great deal he suspected.

*************************************************

They freshened up in their room then went out to lunch. After lunch, Maude made use of the contacts she had made in the two months that she had spent in Galveston before sending for Ezra to introduce Elizabeth to Galveston society. She was careful to mention only acquaintances whom she had known when she was married to John Sinclair.

Elizabeth suffered through the ritual of 'going calling' with no more ill grace than any other sixteen-year old girl would have shown.

Finally they returned to the hotel. Pleading a headache, which wasn't actually a lie, Elizabeth retired to their room while Maude continued on with her conquest of Galveston's wealthy.

Standing on the balcony of their suite looking towards the stables, Elizabeth waited until she saw the plainsman heading for the stables, moving like a shadow in the twilight.

Smiling, she slipped silently from the room and down the back stairs. Checking carefully to make sure that she couldn't be seen from the hotel's downstairs dining room or sitting room she crossed the courtyard to the stables.

The plainsman was in Blackie's stall, brushing the horse again, talking quietly to him. His back was to Gamble's stall and the bay had its head leaning over the stall wall, nuzzling the man whenever he got with in range, paying particular attention to the man's coat pockets.

Elizabeth's soft laugh brought both the plainsman's and Gamble's heads around to look at her. She slipped into Gamble's stall and patted him gently as he began to nuzzle at her, whiffing softly.

"All right, all right," she laughed. "Here." She held out her hand to the big horse, a lump of sugar held in it. Smiling at Vin she said, "Ah brought him some sugah." She paused then added coyly, "He likes sugah."

Vin ducked his head and blushed at the flirting tone, "Ah reckon... uh... ever body does." He stammered.

She moved to the open end of the stall and Vin followed like a puppy on a string. She smiled up at him then ducked her head, "That's what he was hunting in your pockets." She paused then went on, "Daddy used ta carry sugah cubes in his pockets for the horses."

{[Details, always provide details.] Ezra sighed softly, he would have to remember what he'd told whom but as long as he stayed true to the basic background he could do as he pleased... and flirting with the plainsman definitely pleased him.}

"Mother... never liked it. Said that he was spoiling them."

Vin nodded.

She moved closer... and Vin moved away, circling towards Gamble's stall, suddenly babbling, "Ah already tended him. Brushed him and all. He's a real fine animal. Must be sixteen hands. Awful big for a little thin' like you..."

"Ah'm not so little." She pouted slightly and moved closer again.

"Ah... ah... bettah... go." He stumbled backwards then turned and practically ran from the stables.

Elizabeth's soft laughter floated after him.

{[Oh this *was* going to be fun.]}

*************************************************
Present Day
Ezra's Room above the Saloon in Four Corners
*************************************************

"Ya conned him!" Nathan snarled in a disgusted voice.

"No!" Ezra protested, "It wasn't like that. He... I.... " He reached up to run a hand through his hair in a characteristic gesture of frustration. "It wasn't like that..." he repeated softly.

"Sounds like that." Josiah commented quietly, no sign of anger in his voice, just stating a fact.

"I know what it sounds like!" Ezra snapped in frustration pacing nervously. "Perhaps... perhaps you simply had to be there. It's not an easy thing to explain. What happened... *happened*. I did *not* set out to con Mistah Tannah!"

"But ya did... didn't ya?" Nathan insisted.

Ezra snorted, "Ah'm not sure that I did... perhaps I was only conning myself." There was a touch of bitterness to the words.

After a long moment of silence he returned to the story.

"The mark was Edmund DuPree, a man of wealth and power in Galveston. The weak link that we were to utilize was his son and heir, William, an arrogant little prick with far too high an opinion of himself. From the first time that I met him I knew that it would be easy to provoke the reaction Mother wanted. I had no doubt that he had already done exactly what Mother wanted me to induce him to do to many an innocent young girl... most, no doubt, too poor for their word to count against the eldest scion of one of the wealthiest families in Texas."

*************************************************
Galveston, Texas
Pre-dawn June 27, 1868
*************************************************

Elizabeth was awake at the crack of dawn, watching out her window hoping to see the plainsman when he went to the stables to tend his horse. She knew instinctively that that would be the first place he went in the morning.

{Ezra wasn't certain why but he wanted to see him again... be near him again. He stirred feelings in him... in Ezra... that had never been stirred before. At twenty-one, Ezra had known a number of ladies but no man had ever interested him. The plainsman though... drew him like a moth to a flame.}

Spotting him, she slipped out, wearing her riding suit and boots.

He turned when he heard her slip into the stables... and shied away a bit.

She ducked her head then smiled shyly at him as Gamble greeted her with a wicker and a butt of his head.

Vin kept his head down for a long moment then said nervously, "Ah'm taking good care of him. Ya don't have ta worry."

"Ah'm not worried. I just... I shan't be able to check on him again today. He gets fidgety when he's left alone too long... I was just hoping that you might spend some extra time with him... perhaps take him for a run... he likes to run..."

Vin looked up. "Whatcha gonna be doing taday?" He asked.

"I shall be preparing for the dance tonight." There was no enthusiasm in her voice. Rather, she sounded displeased.

"Ya don't wanna go to the dance?" Vin asked in a puzzled voice, going back to brushing Blackie.

"Ah'd rather go riding." She gave him a mischievous grin. "Mother won't be up for at least a couple of hours...." She quirked a brow at him. "Of course if she ever found out that I went riding alone...." She waited, knowing that he could hear the suggestion in her voice. Silently she pleaded. [Offer to ride with me.]

He looked up then, amusement shining in the blue eyes. "Well, don't reckon Ah should let ya get in trouble. How about I ride with ya?"

The smile that crossed her face was bright and genuine as she turned back and quickly began to saddle Gamble.

A few moments later she was swinging in the saddle and urging Gamble out of the stable. She turned his head towards the beach and leaned over the saddle horn urging him into a gallop.

Vin cursed softly as he saw that she had gotten into the saddle first. Hurriedly finishing up he leaped onto Blackie's back and raced after her in the pale light of the coming dawn.

She glanced back over her shoulders at the sound of hoofbeats coming up behind her and urged Gamble on even faster. For a long few minutes there was nothing except the exhilaration of flying over the ground on the back of the big bay horse. For some time the only sounds were the pound of hoofs on the hard packed beach sand and her laughter floating back on the dawn air.

Vin swore as he raced behind her, beginning to realize that Gamble was the faster horse. Blackie would not catch him.

The quiet roar of the waves curling into the beach was like music playing in the background.

After a bit she drew up and waited for him, her eyes bright and a smile on her face.

As he drew along side he looked admiringly at Gamble. "Damned horse runs like the wind." He said, then blushed and looked abashed at having cursed in front of her.

She only smiled at him and said, "He was bred to race." She looked over at him then pulled Gamble to a stop and slid from the saddle, giving him an inviting look as she did so.

He stepped down from Blackie's back and moved to walk beside her as she strolled down the beach, leading the horse behind her.

After several moments of silence he ventured, "If ya don't want ta go to the dance tonight... why are ya?"

She remained silent for several moments longer, thinking what to say then finally said with a sigh, "Mother." [Best to stick with the official story, the one that Mother came up with.]

She looked up at him seriously and went on. "We lost evah thing in the war... except the family estate... but without money that is worthless. An advantageous marriage for me... would... solve many problems. Mother has her eye on William DuPree as an opportune match. We have the lineage... an old and venerable name... he has the money." Not the truth, not even the truth of the con... but close enough.

She looked away watching the rising sun. "The dance tonight is being given by Edmund DuPree, William's father. He has deemed it to be time for his son to marry and he wishes him to choose an appropriate bride. The dance is for the express purpose of introducing his heir to the acceptable members of the female population, so that the young man may indicate his preference."

She looked down pensively. "I should consider mahself lucky to have garnered an invitation. Mother went to a great deal of trouble to insure it."

"Sounds kinda mercenary."

"It is *very* mercenary, Mistah Tannah."

She turned to look up at him evaluatingly. "But I have little choice in the mattah. If I do not find a wealthy husband... and find him soon... the bank will take the only home Ah have ever known. A home which has been in our family for near a hundred years." Ezra let his mind wander back to his grandfather's plantation, lying in ruins when he returned form the war. The sadness in his voice was genuine.

Vin reached out and gently smoothed back the hair from her face, "I'm sorry," he said softly.

"As am I." She whispered. Then raising her head, defiantly she smiled at him, "I'd best get back. I should be snugly tucked in bed when Mother awakens. She'll be furious if she learns that I sneaked out."

Vin nodded and swung up into Blackie's saddle.

She stood a moment longer watching the sunrise, an unreadable expression on her face. Then she swung into the saddle and turned Gamble back towards the hotel.

It was nearly noon when Maude arose and strode into Elizabeth's room to begin the preparations for the dance.

*************************************************
Present Day
Ezra's room over the saloon in Four Corners
*************************************************

"So, maybe ya wasn't conning him outta money. Ya was still making a fool of him." Nathan said.

"No!" Ezra shook his head, one hand again going up to run through his hair. "Dammit! Vin wasn't...." he stopped again. He knew he couldn't tell them the one thing that might make them understand. [I loved him. I *love* him!]

He struggled for a moment with the emotions roiling in him. "I was the bloody fool! I let myself get trapped into Maude's little game! I should never have gone to Galveston! I was doing fine at the gaming tables in New Orleans! I should have stayed there, told Maude to go to hell!"

The venom in his voice surprised the other five men.

"B-but she's your ma, Ez." JD blurted.

"Exactly." Ezra said defeatedly. "She *is* mah mother." He picked up a small vase from the top of the dresser and turned it over in his hand, looking at it. Suddenly he turned and hurled it at the opposite wall startling them all as it shattered and he snarled, "Damn her! Damn her!"

For a long moment there was silence as the gunfighters shifted uncertainly around then JD asked hesitantly, "So what happened at the dance?"

Ezra turned to look at him, the anger vanishing as a smug expression crossed his face, "I did mah job Mister Dunne. I did mah job." His lips quirked up into a smirk, as he added, "The dress helped."

*************************************************
Galveston Texas
Late Evening, June 27, 1868
*************************************************

Ezra stared at himself in the full-length mirror in his room. He could scarcely believe that the ethereal beauty staring back at him was *him*.

The young woman in the mirror was beautiful... truly beautiful. Her skin was milky, clear as alabaster and as smooth as silk. [He'd have to remember that oatmeal, honey, vinegar and ground almonds scrub that Maude had made him use. That followed by the cucumber and almond oil cream had left his skin with an incredible smoothness and glow.] Her golden hair was piled high on her head, except for a few shining tendrils falling down in corkscrew curls to grace her long elegant neck. Her neck was encased in a high rhinestone collar with garnet drops, the longest of which fell to a point just above the slight swell of her creamy breasts.

The bodice of the dress was white velvet, cut just high enough to cover her small bosom. Semi-attached puffs masqueraded as sleeves, encircling her arms just below the armpits, leaving her shoulders, as well as the rest of her arms, completely bare. The bodice clung to the slender curses of her body down to her narrow waist then flared out in a fully gathered overskirt which was gathered vertically at several points as well, to reveal the shiny white satin underskirt beneath. Each vertical gather was decorated with garnet red ribbon roses that matched the necklace that she wore. The hoop underneath held the skirt out in a perfect circle around her.

Maude had thinned the rouge that she had painted his lips with, using a clear cream to lighten the color from dark red to a paler shade that seemed much more natural. False eyelashes lengthened and thickened his lashes. A very careful application of eyeliner make his clear green eyes seem wider and greener.

Snowy white kidskin gloves reached almost to his elbows, a white satin and lace fan hung by its strap from his right wrist along with a dainty evening bag, containing his essentials. It contained a small fine lawn handkerchief and his dance card and the pencil to use to write the names of the young men who had requested dances and, unbeknownst to Maude, his derringer as well.

His feet felt dainty and light in the white satin dancing slippers that he wore. 

He swallowed hard. He was a vision. If the woman in the mirror had been coming towards him across a dance floor he'd have fallen all over himself to get to her.

William DuPree wouldn't be the only one he'd have to worry about tonight. Every man in the place would be after him.

{He sighed and even though he knew that Vin wouldn't be at the dance, he wondered if he'd see the plainsman... or more to the point if the plainsman would see him. A small trill of excitement went through him at the thought of the handsome buckskin clad man seeing him like this.}

For instant he let his eyes drift closed swaying to unheard music.

{Imagining Vin's arms around him, the rough plainsman holding him close as they moved to the music.}

His eyes snapped open at the sound of Maude's voice. "Ah knew that dress would get to you."

He turned and she held out one hand swirling a finger to instruct him to turn so that she might get a good look at him.

"Exquisite," she gave him a self-satisfied smile. "Come. We should make our entrance.

She swept gracefully out of the room. Maude had deliberately dressed down somewhat tonight. Her pale blue gown was elegant but not nearly as striking as the pristine white velvet and satin that Elizabeth wore.

It was Elizabeth's job to snare William DuPree and as much as it pained Maude not to be the center of attention it would never do to distract from the illusion that she had created.

Maude glided down the wide sweeping staircase towards the ground floor and the grand ballroom there. Ezra/Elizabeth floated down behind her, barely seeming to touch the steps he moved so gracefully.

As they neared the ground floor of the hotel Maude's head rose even higher and a triumphant smile crossed her face. She could see the men in the lobby turning towards the staircase and hear their appreciative murmurs. As good as she knew she looked, she knew that the stunned expressions were for the vision that followed her.

By the time that they reached the lobby, men were stepping out of the bar to see what the men in the lobby were looking at.

Elizabeth watched it all through shyly lowered eyes, drifting, silently in Maude's wake until she saw the plainsman step out of the bar, a drink held in his hand. For just an instant her green eyes rose to meet his stunned blue ones and she stopped. A faintly pleased smile graced her lips as she gazed at him before she remembered that she had work to do and moved on, following her mother to the entrance to the grand ballroom.

Several hours later Elizabeth looked down at her dance card, sighing as she drew a line through the name of the last young man she had danced with. Seeing the next name she, frowned slightly. William DuPree. It would be his third dance with her, and she really didn't feel like dancing with him again. Besides she needed to advance the plan.

A moment later she started slightly as he appeared at her side, standing uncomfortably close. She moved away slightly turning to face him as he said, "I do believe that it is my turn to dance with the most beautiful woman here."

She smiled shyly, "Maiden." She corrected, "I'm not a woman... yet." There was just enough of a hint that he might well be the one to change her status in the tone to give him hope of that eventuality.

He grinned lasciviously at her and held out a hand to guide her onto the dance floor.

"Dear William," she said softly, "I would truly like to sit this one out if we might. I find myself somewhat fatigued." She flipped open her fan and fanned herself a bit.

His grin widened, "Perhaps we might step out onto the verandah."

She smiled up at him, "Of course."

He took her arm and guided her out one of the several French doors onto the wide, dimly lit verandah.

They walked in silence for a few moments then he tried to guide her off the verandah into the courtyard where it would be more private.

She declined, gently, "I think it would be best if we remained on the verandah. Mother will be furious, if she can not find me."

It was a quiet reminder that she was a 'good girl' from a quality family and would not be herded off into the shadows where liberties might be taken.

William accepted it, for the moment. He had already decided that he would tell his father that, if he *had* to marry, then he wanted this girl. He would give her a bit more time then he would tell her how it was. He knew all about her. She was the only child of Maude and John Sinclair. The Sinclair family was an old south aristocratic clan. There was lots of prestige to the name but they were land rich and cash poor. She needed a wealthy husband to insure her future. He hadn't been present for the scene with the horse and he didn't put much store in the gossip he had heard about it. When push came to shove, for all her airs, she was just a poor girl... and he was a wealthy man who wanted her. He'd have her when he was ready... whether she liked it or not.

He might not have been quite so sure of himself if he'd been aware of the derringer in her dainty little evening bag.

She stopped before a bench and arranging her skirts sat down with a small sigh, looking up at him with a smile.

He sat down beside her and moved to put and arm around her.

She shied away and captured the roving hand holding it between her two smaller ones. She turned the hand palm up, gently tracing a line on it with one finger.

"Now, William," she chided softly, "You know that I can't permit that." She smiled coyly up at him as she retraced the line on his palm.

He wet his lips, his mouth suddenly dry at the touch of her finger on his hand. After a moment he asked, "Do you see something interesting in my palm, my dear?"

She smiled again, blushing softly, "My nanna used to read palms."

"Indeed." He encouraged.

"Yes." She ducked her head and smiled again tracing the line she said, "This is your heart line."

 "And what does it tell you?" He prompted.

"That you shall marry young... and be very happy."

He reached over and tilted her chin up to look into her eyes, "And shall my bride have beautiful golden hair and green eyes?"

"That cannot be seen in one's palm, sir." She smiled at him as he released her chin, "I can however tell you how many children you shall have." She ran her finger along the edge of his palm just below his little finger feeling the creases there. "Three children. Two boys and a girl. In that order."

"Really?" He asked in an amused voice, "What else do you see?"

She moved his palm nearer the light of the window that they sat by and traced a different line, a small frown creased her forehead. "This is your fortune line. It is deep and firm indicating good fortune... great wealth... but there is a break. A clear, sharp break that would seem to mean the loss of everything yet it picks back up again even wider and deeper than before."

He laughed self-consciously, "Well! As long as I die old and rich!"

"That does seem assured. Your life line is quite long." The voice was noncommittal but he didn't seem to notice.

"Evenin' Miss Sinclair."

They both looked up to see the plainsman sitting on the banister around the verandah.

"Good evening, Mister Tanner." Elizabeth said pleasantly but turned away from him.

He reached up two fingers to touch his hat to the lady. Then turned to stare out at the night sky, apparently ignoring them.

[Oh, great he's appointed himself my guardian!] For some reason the thought was both annoying and reassuring.

William rose abruptly, "I do believe the music has stopped, Miss Sinclair." He said suddenly formal. "I should return you to the ballroom so that your next partner may find you."

"Of course, Mister DuPree." She replied with equal formality as she rose.

He escorted her back into the ballroom. An annoyed expression crossed his face as he saw her glance back towards the plainsman and smile.

She danced with William twice more before the night was over and both times he tried to steer her onto the verandah only to find the plainsman sitting near where ever they emerged.

Finally, as the night wore on, the dance began to break up. Elizabeth slipped away before William could find her and ask to escort her up to her room. Stepping out on the verandah she was not surprised to find the plainsman, sitting on the banister nearby yet again.

Smiling she walked over and reached for the whiskey glass in his hand, declaring firmly, "I need that more than you do."

She took it and tossed it back in a single swallow. Her eyes suddenly widened as she swallowed it. "Jesus! Rotgut!" She coughed.

He couldn't help but laugh at her expression. "Want another?" He asked helpfully.

She laughed then. "No thank you, kind sir," she curtsied prettily. "Ah do believe Mother has some brandy in the room. I really should retire before that ill-mannered lout finds me and insists on escorting me."

"Would you like me ta... es-escort ya?" He stumbled over the word.

She smiled at him then said softly, "I would love for you to. However, I would not wish to subject you to what Mother will say if she should be there when we arrive. I shall be quite all right alone. Thank you... and goodnight, Mister Tanner."

*************************************************
Present Day
Somewhere outside Four Corners
*************************************************

Vin Tanner rode into the night. His mind far from the trail he was on. He'd known he was attracted to Ezra Standish right from the start. He supposed the old saying, about opposites attracting, might be true. He and Ez were sure on the opposite ends of most ever thing yet he'd found himself watching the handsome gambler right from the start. He felt drawn to the man like a moth to the flame.

It wasn't the same feeling as what had passed between him and Chris that first day in the street. He felt like he'd known Chris all his life... knew instinctively that he could trust him. He felt secure with Chris.

He sure as hell never felt secure with Ezra! The man could make him feel stupid with a look, tie him in knots with a touch, keep him off balance and confused with those big words of his but Vin just couldn't stay away from him. It was like a hunger gnawing at him, a need to get close to the gambler... a need to get to know him... to touch him and taste him... to know what that ivory skin felt like... what those smiling lips tasted like... It was a hunger that he was sure could never be entirely satisfied.

He pushed down the familiar heat rising in him. A man like Ezra, educated, refined and sophisticated couldn't possibly have any use for an illiterate tracker... yet Ezra had accepted him as a friend. He couldn't risk that friendship by asking for more... no matter how much he wanted more.

He needed to think. He swung down off Peso and loosened the cinch to let the horse graze. Taking his bedroll he climbed up to the top of his favorite look out spot and spread the blankets out, sitting down on them. Pulling his spyglass out of his pocket he aimed it back the way he'd come, half expecting to see Chris hot on his trail.

He gave a grateful sigh when he saw no one.

Sitting cross-legged on the bedroll he let the spyglass hang loosely from his hand as he stared out across the desert evening.

[Elizabeth Marie Sinclair.] A name he could never forget.

Scenes from the past played through his mind.

A little spitfire yelling at the stable hand that had mistreated her horse and dumping him on the ground... twice.

The sadness in her voice when she'd spoken of the possibility of losing her home as they walked on the beach, as the sun rose in front of them.

A tomboy in a split riding skirt, astride a horse that she shouldn't have been able to handle, racing him down to the beach... and winning.

A vision in white, floating down a sweeping staircase, like an angel descending from heaven... golden hair, glowing softly in the lamplight... clear green eyes, smiling at him.

A red velvet dancing dress swirling in the light of the full moon as they waltzed in the hotel courtyard, her eyes shining up at him, filled with love and laughter. Her face glowing with happiness, as he spun her in his arms, light as a thistle on the wind.

The sound of her laughter, soft and musical to his ear then, mocked him now.

He stared down at the ground.

"Why?" He whispered to the earth beneath him.

He tilted his head back staring at the sky.

"Why?" He yelled to the sky above him. "Why? Damn you Ezra Standish! Why?"

He drew his knees up and rested his head on them.

[Ten years. Ten years of comparing ever woman I met to her... to a golden haired, green-eyed spitfire... to an angel in white velvet and satin... to a... a temptress... (Oh, God! Ah'm using Ezra words.) ... in red velvet and satin, dancin under the full moon.]

"Elizabeth Marie Sinclair... only now ah know that she never existed. She was just an illusion... just a lie." He whispered.

He curled into a ball on the bedroll and cried... cried as helplessly as he'd cried the day ten years ago when he had awakened to find her gone without a word... or a trace.

*************************************************
June 17, 1868
Galveston Texas
*************************************************

At nineteen Vin Tanner had lived through many things. He'd lost his mother to putrid fever when he was only five. He'd survived orphanages and foster homes, lived with the Indians and served as sharpshooter under Barksdale in the war. He'd come home to hunt buffalo and then men.

He rode into Galveston towing three bounties behind him. One slung over the saddle, dead. Two tied in their saddles, one very much alive, the other more dead than.

He didn't attract a lot of attention as he made his way through the streets. The citizens were used to bounty hunters. Galveston was the biggest city between New Orleans and the Mexican border, the only place to turn in a bounty and expect to get paid straight out. Especially if the bounty was worth much and these three men were worth twenty-five hundred dollars, all told.

He drew up in front of the sheriff's office and swung down tiredly, looking around. Even as used as he was to living on the land and off the land, the thought of a hot bath and soft bed was a welcome one.

He dragged the liveliest of the three outlaws off the horse and hauled him across the porch. Opening the door Vin shoved him through. Not releasing his hold on the man Vin reached up to touch his hat brim to the deputy sitting in the chair behind the desk.

"Howdy," he said with a grin. "This here's Ben Maudlin. Understand there's a thousand dollars on his head. I'm here to collect."

The deputy's feet hit the floor. "Uh... humm. You'll hav'ta see the sheriff about that bounty. I can't handout anything over a hundred dollars."

"Then you'd best toss this trash in a cell and run get the sheriff cause Ah got two more outside worth another fifteen-hundred." Vin said quietly. "And Ah want my money."

The deputy regarded the young bounty hunter with wide eyes then turned to open a cell for the man. He reached to untie the rope on the man.

"Wouldn't do that. This here's the orneriest SOB I ever brung in. Just won't quit tryin' ta run off. Cain't tell ya how many times Ah've been tempted to put a couple of holes in him just ta slow him down."

The deputy gaped at him again then just shoved the outlaw into the cell and locked it behind him.

Vin checked the door to make sure it was locked then gave the deputy a nod. "Go on and get the sheriff." He ordered quietly.

The deputy hurried out giving the other two outlaws, still occupying the saddles on the horses outside, a wide-eyed look as he passed.

Vin shook his head and went back out to haul the other one that was still alive inside. He'd take the dead one to the undertaker when he had his money.

An hour later Vin walked out of the jail with his twenty-five hundred dollars. He tucked it into his shirt pocket and walked off up the street, leading his horse and the dead outlaw's towards the undertaker's.

Leaving the undertaker's he stood for a long moment looking up and down the street. His eyes were drawn to a huge building sitting near the center of the main thoroughfare. Standing at least four stories high a huge sign graced the entrance to the drive.

The Imperial Hotel. He was sure that he could get a hot bath and a soft bed there.

He'd never been one for fancy but on the other hand he'd be heading back out on the plains soon enough. A little luxury never killed nobody, he decided and strode off down the street towards it, leading his horse Blackie.

*************************************************

A week later he was starting to get bored with the fancy place and the stuck up people that stayed there. He was in the stable brushing down Blackie, giving serious thought to heading out when he heard the commotion of the stagecoach coming in and watched the stable hands run to tend it.

He strolled towards the doorway, still holding the brush and leaned against the frame to watch the passengers unload. The arrival of the coach was one of the few interesting things that occurred around the hotel.

He quietly noted a fine looking bay gelding tied to the back of the coach.

Several men stepped down then a mature, but still lovely, blonde-haired woman was helped out, quickly followed by what could only be her daughter.

He was about to turn and go back into the stable when he saw one of the hands grab the reins of the bay horse and give them a yank.

He frowned. He'd never particularly liked that one of the stable hands and made sure he tended his own horse just to keep the man away from him.

He almost laughed out loud when the young woman suddenly, rushed over yelling at the stable hand and quickly and effectively dumped him on the ground.

He couldn't hear most of the conversation but he clearly heard her yell, "The hell you weren't!"

"Elizabeth Marie Sinclair!" The older blonde woman strode over. "Watch your mouth young lady!" She admonished the girl, grabbing her arm.

He couldn't hear the rest of what she said.

"I'll take him mah self!" The girl snapped as she jerked free and backed the horse away from the stable hand.

"Elizabeth!" The older woman's voice was strident.

The stable hand had scrambled to his feet and was reaching for the reins again.

Her jaw jutting out stubbornly, the girl dropped the reins and stepped in to meet him, giving him a shove that landed him back on the ground. "I said, I'll tend him... and if ah evah see you neah him again I'll... I'll *sue* you! Mah daddy's a lawyer!"

With that she spun around with her head high and grabbing a handful of mane, swung up astride the horse, quickly turning him and riding towards the stables.

Vin turned and went back to his horse, chuckling softly to himself. [Reckon I might stay a while yet. Seems things could get a bit livelier with that little spitfire around.]

He glanced up as she came into the stables, but kept his head down, watching her from under his hat brim.

She came right over to the stall next to Blackie's, looking it over.

"Elizabeth!" the older woman had followed her into the stable and snapped at her now. "You can not tend your own horse! A lady simply does not..."

"Screw what a lady does! He's mine and Ah will not let that imbecilic, half-witted, miscreant lay a hand on him!"

His grin spread. [Damn! What a temper!]

"Young lady you are not thirteen any more! You are sixteen and about to be introduced to polite society..."

"Stuff polite society! If it means I can't see to it that Gamble is taken care of I don't want to be introduced to society!"

He'd second that. [Stuff it in a burlap sack and toss it in the river!] He noted that she'd called the horse Gamble... interesting name.

"This is not about you! Now you will do as you are told!" Maude grabbed her arm again and Elizabeth jerked away again.

"It's never about me!" Elizabeth snapped right back.

There was a ring of truth to that statement that tugged at his heart. He found himself stepping forward.

"Ma'am?" The single word silenced them both as they turned to see who had spoken.

He stepped out where they could see him. "Ah could see to him, if ya want... ma'am." He reached up and took his hat off letting them see his face better. He swallowed hard, suddenly self-conscious and reached up to brush his hair back from his face.

He knew he must look a sight. At least he was clean. Dressed in buckskins and moccasins he reckoned he looked like a wild man.

"Ah'd take real good care of him." He grinned suddenly, blue eyes twinkling, "Blackie here'll tell ya that." He gestured towards the big black that he'd been brushing.

The big horse had turned in the stall to face the aisle and now obligingly bobbed its head up and down in agreement before snuffling at the plainsman's hair.

The older woman looked doubtful but the girl dropped Gamble's reins and stepped over to stretch out a hand to the big horse, "Hello, Blackie," she crooned. "Does he treat you right big fella?"

Blackie snuffled over the hand that was held out to him then bobbed his head up and down again.

"Good!" She smiled up at him and he felt his heart leap as the clear green eyes met his clear blue ones. Then her face went serious again, "How much should I pay you?"

He shook his head, "Nothin'. Favor for a friend." He set his hat on his head and tipped it to the two ladies before reaching for Gamble's bridle.

Holding out a hand to let the horse get his scent, he spoke quietly to it.

The horse responded to the gentle touch and the quiet voice. With one last glance at the girl, he followed the plainsman into the stall.

"Now will you come along?" The older woman demanded.

With a sigh the girl nodded and started to follow her mother out of the stables then suddenly she whirled around and strode back to the stall where he stood tending Gamble.

He looked up with a question in his eyes as she reappeared.

She smiled at him, "I almost forgot. We haven't been introduced. I'm Elizabeth Sinclair."

He grinned at her, eyes twinkling, "Ah know, reckon everybody does. Elizabeth Marie Sinclair. Yer ma's got quite a pair of lungs."

Elizabeth laughed, a soft sweet sound. "Well, Mother *was* an actress in her youth... and an actress must learn to project to the back of the theatah so that she can be heard by all in attendance." She looked back towards her mother. "I really must go, mister...?" She let it trail off into a question one elegant eyebrow quirking upward.

"Tanner. Vin Tanner." He held out one rough hand and she lay her smaller, soft one in it, letting him hold it for a moment longer than was entirely proper.

She ducked her head, suddenly shy but she wore a pleased smiled. "I... I really must go. Mother is waiting." She pulled her hand from his with what felt to him like reluctance.

He stood and watched as she walked away.

Yep things were definitely looking up.

He turned back to the horse, "Now what's a purty little thin' like that doing with a big ole boy like you?" He asked quietly.

*************************************************

He was in Blackie's stall, brushing him again, talking quietly to him.

His back was to Gamble's stall and the bay had its head leaning over the stall wall, nuzzling the man whenever he got with in range, paying particular attention to the man's coat pockets. He kept pushing the head away but the bay was obviously hunting something... most likely treats.

Her soft laugh caught him by surprise and brought his head up suddenly. He noticed as he turned to face her that Gamble had turned to her as well.

She slipped into Gamble's stall and patted him gently as he began to nuzzle at her, whiffing softly.

"All right, all right," she laughed. "Here." She held out her hand to the big horse, a lump of sugar held in it. Smiling at Vin she said, "Ah brought him some sugah." She paused then added coyly, "He likes sugah."

Vin ducked his head and blushed at the flirting tone, "Ah reckon... uh... ever body does." He stammered.

He looked at her through lowered lashes. She was wearing a simple dress that skimmed along the lean lines of her body, covering her completely, with a high collar and long sleeves. It was a medium green, possibly silk, shimmering slightly in the lamplight. Her golden hair was piled high in an intricate hairdo. Green eyes smiled at him.

She moved to the open end of the stall and he followed, feeling drawn along. She was beautiful.

She smiled up at him then ducked her head, "That's what he was hunting in your pockets." She paused then went on, "Daddy used ta carry sugah cubes in his pockets for the horses."

He frowned slightly, there was a note in the voice that didn't ring completely true, but he didn't call her on it.

"Mother... never liked it. Said that he was spoiling them."

He nodded. That he could believe.

She moved closer... and he moved away, suddenly shy, circling towards Gamble's stall, as he babbled nervously, "Ah already tended him. Brushed him and all. He's a real fine animal. Must be sixteen hands. Awful big for a little thin' like you..."

"Ah'm not so little." She pouted slightly and moved closer again.

His mouth went dry. He had to get outta there before he did something that'd have her ma after him with a shotgun.

"Ah... ah... bettah... go." He stumbled backwards then turned and practically ran from the stables.

Elizabeth's soft laughter floated after him.

*************************************************

He'd gone to the stables first thing, as usual, to check on Blackie and now Gamble as well. He heard her slip into the stables... and turned to face her but shied away from her a bit.

She ducked her head at that then smiled shyly at him as Gamble greeted her with a wicker and a butt of his head.

Vin kept his head down for a long moment then said nervously, "Ah'm taking good care of him. Ya don't have ta worry."

She hastened to reassure him. "Ah'm not worried. I just... I shant be able to check on him again today. He gets fidgety when he's left alone too long... I was just hoping that you might spend some extra time with him... perhaps take him for a run... he likes to run..."

Vin looked up, really seeing her for the first time this morning. She had on a deep green corduroy riding suit, consisting of a split skirt and jacket over a paler green blouse that looked to be either fine linen or silk. She was wearing boots.

"Whatcha gonna be doing taday?" He asked.

"I shall be preparing for the dance tonight." There was no enthusiasm in her voice. Rather, she sounded displeased.

"Ya don't wanna go to the dance?" Vin asked in a puzzled voice. He thought girls *liked* dances.

"Ah'd rather go riding." She gave him a mischievous grin. "Mother won't be up for at least a couple of hours...." She quirked a brow at him. "Of course if she ever found out that I went riding alone...."

He could hear the suggestion in her voice and it gladdened his heart. Knowing damned well that he didn't have a real chance with her... that at most he was an idle fancy, he looked up at her, amusement shining in the blue eyes. "Well, don't reckon Ah should let ya get in trouble. How about I ride with ya?"

The smile that crossed her face was bright and genuine as she turned back and quickly began to saddle Gamble.

That smile was real. He'd bet his life on it, so, maybe he did have a chance after all. Wouldn't kill him to take a gamble. He grinned at the thought, after all he was taking care of a horse named "Gamble"!

A few moments later she was swinging in the saddle and urging Gamble out of the stable.

He swore softly as he looked up to see her charging out the stable door. Damn! The girl was gonna beat him! Hurriedly finishing up he leaped onto Blackie's back and raced after her in the pale light of the coming dawn.

He saw her glance back over her shoulder as Blackie came up behind her.

Laughter floated back to him as she urged Gamble on even faster.

For a long few minutes there was nothing except the exhilaration of flying over the ground on Blackie's back. For some time the only sounds were the pound of hoofs on the hard packed beach sand and her laughter floating back on the dawn air.

He swore as he raced behind her. Damn horse! Gamble must have been bred to run. There was no way that Blackie was gonna catch him. The big black was just a mustang all heart and could run forever but he wasn't built for speed.

The quiet roar of the waves curling into the beach was like music playing in the background.

After a bit she drew up and waited for him, her eyes bright and a smile on her face.

As he drew along side he looked admiringly at Gamble. "Damned horse runs like the wind." He said then blushed as he realized that he'd cursed in front of a woman.

She only smiled at him and said, "He was bred to race." She looked over at him then pulled Gamble to a stop and slid from the saddle, giving him an inviting look as she did so. 

He stepped down from Blackie's back and moved to walk beside her as she strolled down the beach, leading the horse behind her.

After several moments of silence he asked, "If ya don't want ta go to the dance tonight... why are ya?"

She remained silent for several moments longer then finally said with a sigh, "Mother." The word seemed to carry with it all the burdens of the world.

She looked up at him seriously and went on. "We lost evah thing in the war... except the family estate... but without money that is worthless. An advantageous marriage for me... would... solve many problems. Mother has her eye on William DuPree as an opportune match. We have the lineage... an old and venerable name... he has the money."

Again something didn't ring purely true, but he couldn't put a finger on it.

She looked away watching the rising sun. "The dance tonight is being given by Edmund DuPree, William's father. He has deemed it to be time for his son to marry and he wishes him to choose an appropriate bride. The dance is for the express purpose of introducing his heir to the acceptable members of the female population, so that the young man may indicate his preference."

She looked down pensively. "I should consider mahself lucky to have garnered an invitation. Mother went to a great deal of trouble to insure it."

"Sounds kinda mercenary." It sounded like she was being auctioned off to the highest bidder!

"It is *very* mercenary, Mistah Tannah."

She sounded defeated when she went on. "But I have little choice in the mattah. If I do not find a wealthy husband... and find him soon... the bank will take the only home Ah have ever known. A home which has been in our family for near a hundred years."

Again he felt that the words weren't strictly true, but the sadness in her voice was genuine.

Vin reached out and gently smoothed back the hair from her face, "I'm sorry," he said softly.

"As am I." She whispered. Then raising her head, defiantly she smiled at him, "I'd best get back. I should be snugly tucked in bed when Mother awakens. She'll be furious if she learns that I sneaked out."

Vin nodded and swung up into Blackie's saddle. He sat watching her as she stood a moment longer watching the sunrise, an unreadable expression on her face.

Then she swung into the saddle and turned Gamble back towards the hotel.

*************************************************

They stepped out of their saddles at the stables and she handed him Gamble's reins. He tipped his hat and stood watching her walk gracefully towards the back stairs of the hotel.

There still weren't many people up and about other than the workers. He hoped she made it to the room undetected. He'd hate for her to have to face her mother's sharp tongue again. Then again the girl had a tongue of her own and knew how to use it.

He was smiling as he unsaddled the horses and brushed them down. They had ridden slowly on the return to the stables so the horses weren't overheated.

He talked to both of them, enjoying the animal's company. Gamble was a beautiful horse, obviously intelligent and gentle natured. Blackie, who didn't usually get along real well with strange horses had taken to him right off.

*************************************************
Present Day
Outside Four Corners
*************************************************

Vin sat up wiping at his face. It was full night now. He could hear Peso moving around down below and with a sigh realized that he had only loosened the saddle on the blaze-faced black, not removed it.

Climbing down from his perch he began to set up camp. The first thing he did was take Peso's saddle off and feed and water the horse. It was second nature to him to tend his horse before himself. A man who lost his horse out here would die quickly.

As he petted the big black, he was reminded of Blackie. He'd lost the horse several years after the trip to Galveston. Blackie had been shot out from under him by a bounty he was after.

He wondered vaguely what had happened to Gamble. He couldn't see Ezra selling him. One thing he was sure of was that Ezra/Elizabeth had loved that horse.

He thought again of how Blackie and Gamble had took to each other right off all those years ago. [Kinda like Peso took to Chaucer... and how I took ta Ez.]

As he patted the horse one last time and began to go about the business of setting up the rest of his camp he thought about the parallels between his developing relationship with Elizabeth in Galveston ten years before and the relationship he had with Ezra now.

"Nothing in common." He muttered. "Didn't have a thing in common with Elizabeth. Ain't got nothing in common with Ezra."

[Except that we both loved our horses.] His mind whispered. [Loved to ride.]

That was true. He had to admit that.

Ezra spoiled Chaucer even worse than Elizabeth had spoiled Gamble... if that was possible... and he'd race with anybody at the drop of a hat. In just the few weeks since the seven had come together, Vin couldn't count the times that he and Ezra had took off, pitting Peso and Chaucer against each other for nothing more than the thrill of flying over the desert floor on their horses' backs.

He remembered how he'd admired Elizabeth's spunk, dumping the stable hand in the dirt for mishandling her horse... and Ezra, handling those drunk cowboys in the salon that day, cool as a cucumber. That took spunk too.

[Buckskin and velvet.]

He closed his eyes. He could see Elizabeth in that red velvet dress, laughing up at him in his buckskins as he spun her around in the courtyard, oblivious to the differences between them.

Ezra... Ezra laughing, leaning close to him in the saloon in Eagle Bend... oblivious to the curious stares of the other customers. The fancy-dressed gambler in his red velvet coat, sharing a table, drinking and laughing with him... a bounty hunter, dressed in rough pants and a calico shirt with his buffalo-hide coat over it all.

Elizabeth, looking up at him, her head tilted just so, green eyes, sparkling with mischief.

Ezra, looking up at him, green eyes sparkling with mischief, head tilted just so, that little smirk of a smile on his lips.

[God! How'd I miss it?]

He realized suddenly why he'd found it so easy to get along with the gambler... why they had fallen into such an easy friendship in spite of their obvious differences. On some level he had recognized *Elizabeth* in the gambler!

[Mistah Tannah.]

The words echoed in his mind. Elizabeth's soft alto, blending with Ezra's quiet tenor. The same slow honeyed drawl...

How in hell had he missed it?

That still left the question of why. Why had Ezra pretended to be Elizabeth?

He poured himself a cup from the pot of coffee he had made and sat down on his bedroll, which he had brought down from his perch and asked himself the question again as he chewed on some jerky he'd taken from his saddlebags.

Why had Ezra pretended to be Elizabeth?

After a moment he snorted. The answer should have been obvious. His Ma. She'd been running some kinda con and roped Ez into it.

Why was he so sure that it wasn't a con that Ezra had set up? For one thing his ma had been there... and Ezra... Elizabeth had been damned unhappy about what had been going on. That he was sure of.

Thinking back, remembering the things that Elizabeth had said, he realized that every time he'd sensed that Elizabeth hadn't been telling him the strict truth it must have had something to do with maintaining... [Another Ezra word! How did I pick up all these Ezra words in just ten weeks?] ...the con.

Okay. Ez was Elizabeth to help his ma run some kinda con. Well, I *knew* he was a con man.

So did Ezra recognize me that day in the saloon? If so he never gave it away.

[Of course he didn't give it away! He's a gambler! And he's got the best damned poker face I've ever seen!]

I ain't changed that much in ten years. Still look about the same as I did back then... just a bit older... so, he should have known me.

Then why'd he stay? And why ain't he said nothing about it?

Suddenly Vin started to laugh. Dumping the rest of his coffee out he tossed the cup over by the fire and fell back on the blankets just howling with laughter.

He could just see Ez trying to tell him about them having met before.

[Ez'd sidle up to him at the bar.

"Uhmmm, by the way Mister Tanner, I do believe we've met before. I'm sure you don't recognize me. It has been ten years and the last time you saw me, we were dancing in the moonlight. I had on a red velvet ball gown..."]

Oh, Yeah! Oh, Yeah! He could just see it. He laughed until tears ran down his face.

[Oh, god, Ez! Oh, God, I love you!]

The thought stilled his laughter. Where had that come from? True he knew about sex with men... had done it plenty of times... but love?

Did he love Ezra?

He *had* loved Elizabeth.

What had he loved about her?

Her spunk. Those laughing green eyes. That smirky little smile. Her love for her horse and her protectiveness of it. Her penchant [Ezra word!] for mischief. That honeyed drawl... and big words. Her gracefulness.

And Ezra?

He's a spunky little devil, with laughing green eyes and a smirky little smile, who loves his horse and is damned protective of it. Always ready to lend a hand with mischief, talking in that honeyed drawl, throwing around big them words and moving graceful as a dancer.

Everything that had drawn him to Elizabeth was right there in Ezra. Only thing missing was the blonde hair and the dress.

[Reckon that blonde hair was a wig... and them damned dresses would be a real trial to his job now!]

He couldn't help grinning. He knew Ezra liked him. They were friends... Ezra let him get away with things he'd nail any of the others for in a second. Was it possible that Ezra wanted them to be more than friends too.

He thought back again to Elizabeth. No matter what con Ezra and his ma had been running there had been *no* reason for Elizabeth/Ezra to flirt with *him* other than that s/he *wanted* to.

He remembered the night before the big dance. She had come to the stables late.

[They'd talked and he'd kissed her. She moaned when he broke the kiss and went on to place tiny soft ones all over her face before catching her earlobe between his teeth and nipping it lightly.

He drew back then, looking down into the dazed green eyes. "Tell me ya don't love me." His arms encircled her slender waist, hands caressing her back and sides. "Tell me and I'll stop. Tell me and I'll go away. Tell me..."

"No... no..." she moaned.

"No what?" he demanded.

"I can't... I can't tell you... that. But it doesn't matter! It doesn't change the way things are!" Then she was leaning against him crying hysterically and he was holding her stroking her hair and kissing the top of her head to soothe her.

When she finally stopped crying he whispered, "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." Then after a pause, "Do we still have tonight?"

She pulled back from him and wiped at her face, "Yes... please... I... I need you to get thorough this."

He caressed her face again, leaning in to kiss her lips tenderly before guiding her over to the ladder to the hayloft and helping her up it.]

He remembered the kisses they had shared there. Tumbling into the hay of the hayloft with her, coming down on top of her, the lithe body beneath him straining up at him, arching into his touch, moaning with desire. Her blouse opened. His fingers brushing the top of her lace trimmed corset feeling the creamy skin of her small breasts, a thumb dipping below the top to brush across a nipple and the surge of her body against him at the touch.

Elizabeth's voice echoed in his mind. [Please... I need you to get me through this.]

Suddenly he realized that it had been Ezra *then*... Ezra in that hayloft... Ezra who moaned and cried out in pleasure at his touch... Ezra who arched up into his arms... Ezra who had *needed him* to be able to get through the con. It had been *Ezra* that loved him all along... and Ezra *had* loved him.

[So, What am ah gonna do about it?]

[Go get him.]

He blinked. Could it be that simple?

He rose and rolled up his bedroll, breaking camp. He headed home.

*************************************************
Four Corners
Ezra's Room above the saloon
*************************************************

Ezra had fallen silent, his eyes fixed on something that only he could see. After a long silence he said, "We stayed in Galveston a week... until the night of the Independence Day Celebration Ball. "

He paused and shook his head, "It was a strange week." Then he fell silent again.

"Aww, come on, Ez!" JD moaned, "ya can't just gross over it like that. Ya gotta tell us what happened."

"You still haven't said anything that would indicate why Vin was so upset and took off." Josiah pointed out.

Ezra cleared his throat and looked anywhere but at the other men as he said, "I think that he may have..." He cleared his throat again, and his voice dropped so that the others had to strain to hear it, "uh... fallen in love with Elizabeth Marie."

JD's jaw dropped, "Huh?"

"Perhaps I got a little carried away with the part... and considering what happened in the hayloft I think it's safe to say that Mister Tanner got a bit carried away as well."

"What happened in the hayloft?" Buck was suddenly grinning, he'd been in a few haylofts and his imagination was filling in that blank very well.

"What hayloft? When?" Chris demanded.

"The hayloft of the hotel stables, several days later." Ezra shook his head again. "As I said it was a very strange week. I would slip out in the pre-dawn hours to meet Vin at the stables and we would ride on the beach... or walk and talk until the sun was up. Then I would return to my room and pretend that I was still asleep until Mother came to rouse me. I'd spend the day with her, ingratiating ourselves into Galveston society. Most afternoons I had to suffer through Mister William DuPree's idea of courtship. The plan was working perfectly. Mother was delighted but then she didn't have to deal with him."

He smiled, his dimples showing. "I would plead a headache and retire to my room near sundown... and slip off to the stables to meet Vin. He was just as calm and quiet and centered then as he is now. I am quite certain that if he had not been there I would have shot DuPree and ruined Mother's plans." He smiled again, a bitter smile this time, "She would never have forgiven me had I done that."

"But what about the hayloft?" Buck demanded.

Ezra's smile turned into a grin, "Well...." He drawled.

*************************************************
July 3, 1868
Galveston Texas
*************************************************

Elizabeth sat at the dinner table, beside William DuPree and prayed for relief. [If I have to sit here next to this filthy beast one more minute I'm going to shoot him!]

Maude looked over at her, "Elizabeth, dear, don't pick at your food."

"I'm not hungry, Mother. May I be excused?"

"No dear. We'll all be through soon."

Edmund DuPree spoke up, "Let the child go, Maude." He smiled indulgently at Elizabeth. "William can escort her to your suite."

[Like hell!] She smiled wanly at the older man. "That's all right, Mister DuPree. If Mother wishes me to stay I'm sure I can manage."

"Nonsense! You young people go on. No reason for you to suffer through a long evening with us old fogies!"

[Fuck! Fine, then... but don't blame me if I shoot him!] She smiled as graciously as she could manage, and allowed William to hold her chair for her as she rose.

She took his arm amid the murmured good nights and allowed him to escort her up the stairs to the suite.

At the door she pulled loose from him, ignoring his attempt to hold on to her. If there had not been other couples in the hallway as well as several of the hotel employees she was sure she would not have been allowed to pull free... at least not without a fight.

Taking out her room key she unlocked the door but turned back to him before pushing it open. "Goodnight, William." She said, loud enough for the other people in the hallway to hear. "Thank you for seeing me to my room."

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" He moved closer.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. We have no chaperone." Again she made sure to be heard by the others nearby.

"You might as well. I've told Father that I'm marrying you. Tonight or our wedding night makes no difference. You are mine."

Her head came up, "You are very presumptuous, sir! You've yet to propose marriage! And I am not at all certain that I would accept if you were to!" She wrenched open the door and stepped through, slamming it in his face and quickly locking it behind her.

Leaning back against the locked door she tried to regulate her shuddering breaths. Her heart was pounding.

[Thank god, I've got my derringer! And thank you Lord that I am not really a woman!]

She forced herself away from the door and began to pace nervously.

"How could anyone even consider marrying that bloody animal?! I pity the poor woman his overbearing, money grubbing father snares for him! God knows no woman in her right mind would marry him not even for his money!"

Ezra looked down at his shaking hands. "Dear Lord! If this is what women must put up with it's a wonder any of them ever marry! I'd certainly not stand for being treated so by anyone!"

Still trembling slightly he made his way into his bedroom, closing and locking the door behind him. He felt better... safer with two locked doors between him and William DuPree.

When he had calmed down enough, he rang the bell for the floor servant. When the man came and ordered a bath relieved to see that DuPree wasn't hanging around in the hall.

{He felt dirty from having to let William DuPree touch him and he wanted to feel clean when he went to meet Vin at the stables. He hoped they wouldn't argue tonight. Vin had asked the night before to forget about DuPree... come away with him. He'd swore that he'd take care of Elizabeth.

Ezra sighed. He'd used every argument he could to convince Vin that it was impossible... every argument but one... the truth... that Elizabeth couldn't elope with Vin because Elizabeth was actually Ezra. He didn't know how Vin would react to that piece of news... but he was sure that he didn't want to find out.

They would have tonight. Then Vin would have his memories of Elizabeth and Ezra... Ezra would have his memories of Vin.}

He dressed carefully. He wanted to make sure that he had good memories of this night. A pale green silk blouse, with a sweetheart neckline. A dark green velvet choker with a large cameo centered in the front to hide his throat. A dark green, corduroy skirt, the same color as the choker. A matching dark green jacket over that. Simple flat slippers on his feet and he was ready to go.

He checked the hall through a crack in the door before slipping out and down the hall to the back stairs. A careful check to make sure no one was around then a silent trip down the stairs. Another check then across the yard and in through the back of the stables.

He was late but Vin had waited.

The plainsman was idly brushing, Blackie's already gleaming coat when she slipped into the stall beside him.

"Hello, stranger." She said softly.

He turned to her, a smile spreading slowly across his face. "Hello, yerself." He drawled stepping close and wrapping his arms around her. "Was startin' ta think ya might not come."

"I shouldn't have." She said seriously, then leaned into the embrace, resting her head against his chest.

"He givin' ya trouble?" They both knew who he was talking about.

"Nothing I can't handle... and I did not come here to talk about him." She drew back looking up at him. "I'm sorry, Vin. I shouldn't have come." She started to draw away.

"No! Please, don't go!" He held her... but gently not the harsh demanding grip that DuPree had used. His eyes and voice held her more surely than any hands ever could.

"Lizabeth.... I...." There were tears in his eyes as she reached up and laid a finger on his lips to silence him.

"I know. I... know... but it doesn't change anything. This is how it has to be. This..." she swallowed hard, " ...this will be our last night. Tomorrow, Mother will inform Edmund DuPree of the financial arrangements that must be made before she will allow me to marry William... and he will make them because I am what William wants."

"What about what you want?"

"No one cares what I want."

"I care." The words were barely more than a whisper.

There were tears in her eyes when she answered him, "I know... and I can never tell you how much that means to me... but it still doesn't change anything. I have to marry William."

He stared down at her for a long moment then released his hold on her arms.

*************************************************
Present Day
Ezra's room over the saloon
*************************************************

"... he kissed me...." The words were barely more than a whisper. Then Ezra fell silent lost in a memory.

[For a second she thought he was going to turn away then both hands reached out to cup her face gently, tilting it upwards as he bent and kissed her. Kissed her like she'd never been kissed before. Sweet and gentle, tender and lingering, filled with love and longing.

She moaned when he broke the kiss and went on to place tiny soft ones all over her face before catching her earlobe between his teeth and nipping it lightly.

He drew back then, looking down into the dazed green eyes. "Tell me ya don't love me." His arms encircled her slender waist, hands caressing her back and sides. "Tell me and I'll stop. Tell me and I'll go away. Tell me..."

"No... no..." she moaned.

"No what?" he demanded.

"I can't... I can't tell you... that. But it doesn't matter! It doesn't change the way things are!" Then she was leaning against him crying hysterically and he was holding her stroking her hair and kissing the top of her head to soothe her.

When she finally stopped crying he whispered, "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." Then after a pause, "Do we still have tonight?"

She pulled back from him and wiped at her face, "Yes... please... I... I need you to get thorough this."

He caressed her face again, leaning in to kiss her lips tenderly before guiding her over to the ladder to the hayloft and helping her up it.]

"Dammit, Ezra! Ya can't quit now! What happened in the damned hayloft? Did ya'll... ya know?" Buck demanded.

Ezra turned to face Buck, "That, Mister Wilmington, is none of your business!"

Buck started to say more but he was interrupted by Chris. "He's right Buck. It ain't our business."

"But...."

"No, Buck! Besides he can't have let it go too far... or Vin would have *known* he was a man."

"What happened with DuPree? From the way you been talking he seems like an... unpleasant man." Josiah's voice was a deep rumble.

He had risen from the bed and moved to stand near Chris at the foot of the bed, facing Ezra.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" The tone hinted that Josiah might be thinking of retribution should he learn that DuPree *had* hurt Ezra, even this long after the fact.

Ezra couldn't help but smile at the tone. As much as he pretended to detest Josiah's fatherly attentions, it would have felt good to have had Josiah to depend on when he had been dealing with William DuPree.

"Well let's just say that it was a good thing that I ignored Mother's instructions to leave mah derringer in the room." He said lightly.

Then his face went grim. "I had to shoot him."

"Ya kill him?" Chris demanded.

"No. That would have ruined everything."

He, Buck, Josiah and Nathan had all bristled at the thought of Ezra having to shoot DuPree to escape his clutches. Ezra might have been running a con. He might not have actually been a woman but the idea of a man doing something to what he *thought* was a woman that would make Ezra pull his derringer was enough to make them all go into defensive mode.

JD seemed to be unaware of what was almost certainly coming in the narrative despite *knowing* that Ezra was supposed to provoke the man to attempt to rape him.

Ezra smiled, "The Fourth of July, eighteen sixty-eight fell on a Saturday and on a full moon. Even though I knew that the Independence Day Ball was open to all the hotel's guests and anyone they might choose to invite, I did not expect to see Mister Tanner there... but there he was."

*************************************************
Galveston Texas
July 4 1868
*************************************************

The Imperial Hotel was buzzing from well before daylight with final preparations for the Independence Day Ball.

Red, white and blue banners, streamers and all manner of decorations filled the ballroom. Barbecue pits were filled with whole steers and hogs. The kitchen was a madhouse. Food would be available on buffet tables from nine in the morning until well after the fireworks display ended at midnight. The ball would begin at nine at night and continue through the fireworks display into the wee hours of the morning.

The parade would wind down the main street in front of the hotel, through the main driveway of the hotel then back out on the street. A brass band would play all day long and a sixty-piece orchestra would play for the ball itself. No expense had been spared.

Maude insisted on Elizabeth staying in the room most of the day, preparing for the dance. She even called room service to have lunch and supper sent up then barely letting her eat at all at either meal.

"That's enough, dear." Maude's voice was firm. "Anymore and you won't be able to lace the corset tightly enough for the red dress."

"If I don't eat, Mother, I doubt that I'll make it through the dance without fainting! Now I know why the ladies are so given to the vapors! They are always on the verge of starvation!"

"Well, one must maintain one's figure!" Maude said.

"I'd love to just *return* to *my* figure!" Ezra snapped.

"Stop complaining! You still have to bathe. Then I'll do your hair and makeup..." Maude began listing all the things yet to be done for the ball.

"My hair, Mother? I have no hair! This," he reached up and tugged at the blonde hair, "is a wig! And I really wish you'd just take it off and 'do it' as you call it somewhere other than on my head!"

"It's only one more night, Ezra!" Maude chided.

"It had better be! I am tired of this!"

It was a long boring afternoon for Ezra, but finally he was dressed and it was time for the ball to start.

The red dress was very much like the white one almost a negative image. Where the white dress had been white this one was red and vice versa.

Staring in the mirror Ezra realized exactly why Maude had chosen the dresses. In the white one he'd looked like an innocent... a vestal virgin so to speak. In the red he was a sultry siren... a temptress.

He swallowed hard and checked his bag to make sure the derringer was there, loaded and ready. Maude could go to hell. William DuPree was six feet three inches tall and heavily built. Even in pants Ezra would be at a disadvantage should William attack... and looking at his reflection in the mirror, Ezra had no doubt at all that before the night was over he would be fighting the man off to preserve his 'virtue'.

"Let's go, dear." Maude's voice was firm. "William is here to escort you downstairs."

[Oh, Lord!] "Yes, Mother." Ezra turned, his face set in a pleasant smile, the perfect image of the ever-obedient daughter.

She took William's proffered hand and let him lead her from the suite and down the hall to the stairs.

They paused a moment at the head of the stairs as heads swiveled to look up at them then William took her hand and she glided down the staircase. The contrast between her alabaster skin and the deep red of the dress make it appear to be even more daringly cut than it was. She wore the same rhinestone collar with garnet drops that she had worn with the white dress. The longest drop, which fell to a point just above the slight swell of her creamy breasts, drew every eye there.

She moved with grace and confidence, gone in a single week from shy woman-child to fiery temptress.

Her eyes went to the entrance of the bar, hoping to see Vin there. Wanting to feel his calming presence but the plainsman wasn't there.

William guided her towards the ballroom, as the crowd parted before them. They made their entrance and she took a place near the refreshments table. While William went off to get them some punch, she surveyed the crowd.

Then she saw the plainsman standing near one pair of the French doors that opened out onto the verandah. He was dressed in what had to be his best buckskins, shaved and with his long hair neatly combed and pulled back and secured at the base of his neck. She could not keep her face from brightening at the sight.

He stepped away from the doors and made his way to her, arriving just before William returned.

"Hey, Purty Lady. Reckon ah could have a dance tonight?"

Before William could say anything she answered, "Certainly, Mister Tanner. It's the least I can do, considering what good care you are taking of Gamble for me." She pulled out her card and entered his name on a line, "I shall meet you here."

As Vin moved away William caught her arm. "I don't want you dancing with anyone else tonight!"

"Mister DuPree, we are neither engaged nor married. Until such time as we are, I will dance with whom ever I wish!"

"No one else will dance with you."

"Really," she smiled sweetly at him, "Then I shall simply have to give Mister Tanner more than one dance." She jerked her arm out of his hand and moved away to sit in a nearby chair.

When the music started he turned to her, "Come on, let's dance."

She gave a little huff and snapped her fan open fanning herself, "I do not wish to dance at this time. I shall sit this one out."

It was two dances later before she agreed to dance with him and she only did it then because she knew that if he blew-up upon the dance floor it would ruin Maude's plans.

They continued to dance every dance until after the fireworks display began. Then seeing Vin near the refreshments table where she had told him that she would meet him, she pulled loose from William and made her way over there.

William followed.

"Shall we dance, Mister Tanner?" She asked softly.

"Of course, Miss Sinclair." Vin grinned at her and held out his arms.

William caught her arm. "You come straight back here when the dance is over. The next dance is mine."

"I believe that I shall sit out the next couple of dances." She snapped.

"Elizabeth!" William snapped.

Vin stepped forward, his stance threatening, "You her husband?"

"No he is not!" Elizabeth snapped. "We aren't even engaged!"

"Then who the lady dances with ain't none a'yer business, mister."

William started forwards then stopped, there was a dangerous look in the plainsman's eyes.

Vin turned his back on William, dismissing him and led Elizabeth way. He didn't stop at the dance floor though. He led her out on the verandah before turning to her.

"I ain't no great dancer, figured it'd be better to dance out here. Not so many people to bump into."

She laughed softly, "I think you'll do just fine." Then smiling up at him she said, "The courtyard would be even better."

He smiled at her and led her off the verandah and into the courtyard.

Neither of them saw William following and watching, growing angrier by the minute.

*************************************************
Present Day
Ezra's room over the saloon
*************************************************

Ezra had fallen silent again.

Buck made a disgusted sound. Ezra was leaving out all the *good* stuff! He started to say something but Josiah laid a hand on his arm and gave him a look that plainly told him to keep his mouth shut.

Just then JD stopped pacing. Standing near the bed where Buck, Josiah, and Nathan once again sat, he leaned close to Buck and whispered, "Ya know he said that Vin was in love with Elizabeth Marie... Ya'll reckon maybe Ez was kinda... well in love with *Vin*?"

All eyes turned to Ezra.

He was standing with his eyes closed. A slight smile on his face, lost in the memory of the dance.

[The courtyard was bathed in moonlight from the full moon hanging high in the sky above them.

Vin turned taking Elizabeth in his arms, one hand on her waist, the other reaching for her smaller hand.

She lay one hand on the exquisite softness of the beaded, buckskin shirt he wore. It was beautiful in the moonlight, soft as the velvet dress she wore and a pale golden color.

She lay her other hand in his callused one and they began to move to the music drifting out from the ballroom. They danced slowly and hesitantly at first. Then as Vin gained confidence they moved into the flow of the music.

She couldn't remember ever having been so happy. She smiled up at him. If only things were different. If only she really was Elizabeth Marie Sinclair. If only..."]

Buck looked away from the gambler, ducking his head. "Yeah, kid. Yeah. I think he might have been."

The other men looked around, down anywhere but at the gambler. They all were men of the world. They knew all about sex between two men... but love. That was something else entirely. Sure they cared about other men... their friends... Hell, Buck loved JD like a brother. They all loved him like a kid brother and Chris and Vin were real close but... it wasn't like *that*.

It was Chris that broke the silence. "Don't reckon, DuPree was real happy with... Elizabeth dancing with Vin."

The words brought Ezra out of his reverie. "No he was not."

"He start a fight with Vin?" JD asked eagerly.

"No. He chose to bide his time... " he trailed off again.

But the older men heard the unspoken words, '...and take his anger out on me', and steeled themselves for what was coming.

*************************************************
Galveston Texas July 5, 1868
2 AM
*************************************************

The dance was breaking up. Goodnights were being said.

William offered Elizabeth his arm and led her away, towards the stairs and the Sinclair's suite.

Maude hung behind, talking to Edmund DuPree, making plans to see him the next morning to discuss the financial arrangements that were to be made before William and Elizabeth's engagement could be announced.

William and Elizabeth had reached the suite before Maude started up the stairs.

Elizabeth unlocked the door and pushed it open, knowing that this was it. Turning to William she said, "Good night, William. I had a lovely time. [Albeit not with you.] I'll see you in the morning."

He stepped closer and leaned in to kiss her.

She turned her head and his lips missed hers, landing on her cheek.

That was all it took.

With a snarl he grabbed her arm and shoved her through the door coming after her.

She caught herself and turned, slapping him, hard, across the face.

He exploded, and backhanded her, knocking her sprawling on the sitting room floor.

She managed to catch herself enough to land with her hoop skirt spread out around her rather than flung up over her head.

As she struggled to her feet he grabbed her by the bodice of her dress and tore it open, revealing the white lace top of her corset.

She screamed, knowing that Maude was not far behind and she had a couple staying across the hall as well, waiting to hear the screams and run in to be witnesses.

At the first scream, William backhanded her again.

This time she fell against a table. It turned over and the edge came down on her arm. She felt it break.

As pain flared in his left arm, Ezra screamed again, realizing that the witnesses had not yet arrived. He was running out of time, if William kept this up he would soon be unable to continue fighting him off and when William 'had his way with him' it would become apparent that he was not a woman and all would be lost.

He fumbled with his evening bag. Desperate to get his one, good hand on the derringer. It was his last chance.

As William came at him again, dragging him up off the floor, his hand closed on the handle and he thumbed back the hammer, praying that nothing would impede the hammer when it fell.

Shoving it into William's shoulder he pulled the trigger and was rewarded by a muffled BANG!

William fell back, releasing Elizabeth, as Maude and Edmund DuPree ran into the room, followed by the couple from across the hall and several of the hotel staff.

Maude ran to Elizabeth who was cradling her left arm with the right arm, the hand still holding the derringer through the evening bag. Tears streamed down her face. She coughed, gagging as blood spilled from her mouth.

"Elizabeth! Oh, my God! What did that... that... animal do to you, baby!"

Elizabeth was sobbing hysterically, blood still streaming from her mouth.

Maude tilted Elizabeth's head to see where the blood was coming from and saw that William had knocked a tooth out. She guided Elizabeth to the floor where she turned and buried her face against Maude's shoulder still sobbing. Maude allowed it, ignoring the blood that was soaking her dress. It would only insure them more money.

Edmund DuPree grabbed his son by the uninjured shoulder and shoved him into a chair, as his eyes surveyed the room, looking for a way to do damage control. "You fool!" He snapped at the boy, "You couldn't wait a few weeks until the wedding?"

Maude looked up at one of the hotel staff, "Go get the sheriff!" She snapped.

"No! Wait!" Edmund DuPree ordered. Then turning to Maude he said, "Can't we work something out... They are going to be married in just a few weeks...."

"Nooooooooooooooo! NoNoNo. Mama, please!" Elizabeth raised her head enough to wail. "I won't marry that... that monster! Please, Mama!" She trembled, pressing one hand to her mouth, which was still bleeding. She would soon have a black eye and her lips were busted as well.

"Of course not, dear." Maude pulling Elizabeth back down, she drew herself up to look defiantly at Edmund DuPree. "If I had known what kind of animal that..." she threw the cringing William who sat clutching his shoulder a withering glance,"...was I would never have considered a match between you!"

Turning back to the man she'd ordered to get the sheriff she snapped. "I told you to get the sheriff!"

The man turned and left.

DuPree turned to look at William, apparently noticing that he was wounded for the first time.

He turned to another of the hotel staff. "Get a doctor up here!" Pulling out a handkerchief, he pressed it to the wound.

Looking over his shoulder to where the two women sat he could only prey that the girl wasn't hurt as badly as all the blood would seem to indicate as he said, "Mrs. Sinclair, please. There is no need for the sheriff. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. What would it take to get you not to press charges."

Edmund DuPree was no fool. He knew that once the sheriff saw the girl's torn and bloody clothes and heard the story from the witnesses, his boy would go to prison. It wasn't like the other times when William had forced himself on servants or poor girls with no options. The Sinclairs were a prominent family. John Sinclair was an attorney of note in the Atlanta area. Edmund had heard of him from several unimpeachable sources.

"You think that you can buy me off? My husband will have your son's hide for this!"

"Perhaps he'd reconsider for twenty thousand dollars."

Maude glared at him. "Certainly not!"

"Thirty, then."

Maude clutched Elizabeth to her, murmuring as she stroked the distraught girl's hair. After a moment she looked up, her face set, "A hundred thousand."

"That is far too much!" DuPree snapped sparing his son a look as the doctor came into the room. He licked his lips. "Fifty thousand. Not a penny more."

Maude Standish had made a life, running cons and playing cards. She knew when a mark had reached his limit. She ducked her head, planting a small kiss on the top of Elizabeth's head. After a moment she looked up and nodded. It was actually more than she had hoped to get.

"...And you'll be gone before morning." DuPree added.

"You will provide transport to the first stage stop to the east." Maude said.

DuPree nodded.

"Elizabeth is hurt. When the doctor gets through preparing William to be moved to his surgery, he will see to her... and you will pay him."

Again DuPree nodded.

Maude helped Elizabeth up and guided her towards her room. "Send the doctor in here as soon as he is done there." She turned back at the door, "And Mister DuPree... have the money here before the sheriff arrives."

DuPree nodded to one of his men, who had come into the suite to see what was going on.

The man left and DuPree turned to Maude. "It'll be here in five minutes."

Two hours later they were on their way east from Galveston. Maude had fifty thousand dollars in gold certificates in her bags.

Elizabeth had a splint on her left arm, which lay in a sling and a wad of cotton in her mouth to stem the flow of blood from the lost tooth. She was groggy from the medicine the doctor had given her and had to be carried to the coach by one of DuPree's men.

The next morning Maude checked them into the only hotel in the small town where they would wait for the stage east. She helped Ezra get out of his Elizabeth persona and change into a nightshirt, fussing over him and assuring him that she would be right there when he awoke.

He crawled into bed and went straight to sleep.

He should have known better.

When he awoke, Maude was gone, along with the entire fifty thousand dollars.

************************************************
Present Day
Ezra's room over the saloon
*************************************************

"You mean she took it all?" Buck asked in dismay.

"But you were hurt! How could your ma just leave you there?" JD demanded.

Ezra sighed, "You gentlemen don't know my mother very well." He smiled self-depreciatingly. "It was *her* con... her idea... she spent two months in Galveston laying the ground work... therefore the money was hers."

"But it wouldn't have worked without you." Chris said.

"Didn't you get *anything* out of it?" JD asked.

"You mean besides a broken arm and a few other hard knocks?" Ezra asked. He shrugged, idly rubbing the left arm as if he could still feel the long ago break. He kept his voice carefully neutral, not revealing any of the hurt that still throbbed in his heart when he remembered that awful morning, as he said, "She left the dresses behind. I sold them. It was enough to get me on the trail to San Francisco."

"Weren't you mad at her?" JD asked again.

Ezra shrugged. "I should have known better than to go to sleep before I got my share and put it safely out of Mother's reach."

JD stared at him. His voice was so matter of fact as if it had been his fault that he didn't get any of the money. "But..."

"It doesn't matter JD." Ezra said quietly, defending his mother as always, "It was ten years ago... besides when I rode out of San Francisco I had half a million dollars in my saddle bags." He was grinning at the memory.

JD gaped. He couldn't even imagine that amount of money. "W-what happened to it?"

Ezra's grin widened. "I met Mother in St. Louis... and we *spent* it, Mister Dunne!" His eyes sparkled.

"On what?" Nathan demanded. His mind turning to all the good he could have done with that much money.

"Things, Mister Jackson. Things. We stayed at the Crystal Palace Hotel and Saloon." His face took on a dreamy look. "Red carpets, crystal chandeliers in every room, running water. We ate Russian caviar and French pate... We drank champagne, and the finest whiskey. We gambled and went to the theater! I slept in a feather bed as big as this entire room... and damn seldom slept alone! We had a grand time."

"Ya wasted it." Nathan said disgustedly.

Ezra shrugged again. "That is your opinion, Mister Jackson. But it was mine to spend as I saw fit... and the six months that Mother an I spent together, first in St. Louis, then riding the riverboats back to New Orleans was the longest period of time that we have been together in the last twenty years. I considered it money well spent."

The implications of that statement were lost on Nathan but not the others as they realized that what Ezra was basically saying was that he had traded half a million dollars for six months with his mother.

After a long moment of silence Chris said. "Elizabeth didn't say goodbye to Vin. She just vanished into thin air...."

"There was no opportunity to do so, Mister Larabee. I was barely conscious when Mother had me put on the coach."

"Still, Vin never knew until now that she wasn't real and that's what's gotten him so upset."

"Cause he was in love with her." JD put in.

"How old would Brother Vin have been back then?" Josiah asked, thoughtfully.

Ezra shrugged. "I had just turned twenty-one. He's a few years younger, I suppose... eighteen or nineteen."

"... and he thought that Elizabeth was.... How old?"

"Sixteen."

"Elizabeth could have been his first love..." Josiah said with a sigh.

"If so that'd make this even harder on him." Chris added.

They all looked at Ezra. He bristled instantly. He knew he had no real defense for what he'd done to Vin, knew that they would back Vin over him. It had always been that way. It hurt though that they seemed to have forgotten in just a few minutes that he had gotten hurt too... that William DuPree had hurt him physically....

[And losing Vin broke my heart.] But he could never tell them that. He raised his head defiantly. "I never actually *told* him that I was female! It's hardly my fault that he couldn't see through the disguise!"

He jumped at a knock on the door.

"Ez? It's Vin. Coming in."

For just a second Ezra's eyes went wild with the look of a trapped animal then he turned to face the door and his poker face slammed down.

*************************************************
A few minutes earlier on the trail to Four Corners
*************************************************

Vin drew up as town came into sight below him.

[What am I gonna say to Ez? And how do I say it? I ain't got his way with words.]

He closed his eyes and he could see Elizabeth again just as she'd been the last time he'd held her in his arms, dancing with her in the light of the full moon in that hotel courtyard. Fireworks exploding in the night sky behind the hotel, her face turned up to him, a smile on her lips and what looked like love shining in her eyes.

"It was love." He said it aloud and gave a quick nod of his head.

[Elizabeth loved me. Elizabeth was Ezra. Ezra loved me.]

That only left one question...

He grinned suddenly.

...and he knew how to ask it.

He urged Peso down the trail and into town. He smiled when he pulled up in front of the saloon and swung down.

There was a light in Ezra's window. The gambler was still up. He headed up the stairs and knocked on the door of Ezra's room.

"Ez? It's Vin. Coming in." He pushed open the door, unconsciously reaching up and removing his hat and stepped into a room full of gunfighters.

His eyes went to Ezra. As the gambler turned to face the door for just a second there was a trapped animal look in his eyes then his poker face slammed down.

Vin looked past him to the others. They all looked like guilty children. Somehow he knew that they had gotten the story out of Ezra... probably not the whole story but at least some of it.

He turned the hat over in his hands, "You boys ain't givin' Ez a hard time are ya?" he asked softly but there was a dangerous edge to his voice.

Buck, Nathan and Josiah had sprung up off the edge of Ezra's bed like it had suddenly caught fire under them, all stammering negatives. JD had taken a place of safety behind Chris.

Chris just raised an eyebrow at him.

He nodded. "I need ta have a word with Ez." Nobody moved. "Private like." He added.

Chris stepped away from the foot of the bed where he had been leaning against one of the posts. "Let's go boys. This is between them."

He caught JD's arm and guided him to the door. The others followed, edging around the two men facing each other in front of the dresser. Chris held back till the last man was out and just before he closed the door, he tipped his hat to the two men. "You boys play nice now." He drawled, then he was gone.

"Mistah Tannah." Ezra croaked. "T-to w-what d-do I...."

Vin tossed his hat on the dresser and stepped in close, "Shut up Ez." He growled as he reached out and cupped the gambler's face between his hands.

He looked down into the confused green eyes for just a moment.

Then he leaned in and took the gambler's trembling lips in a tender kiss. Sweet and gentle, filled with love and longing.

Ezra moaned into the kiss and Vin's lips curved into a smile as he released the gambler's lips to place soft gentle kisses all over his face before catching Ezra's earlobe in his teeth and gently nipping it as he whispered. "Tell me ya don't love me... Tell me and I'll stop. Tell me and I'll go away. Tell me..."

"No... no... please... don't stop... don't go... please don't go."

Vin drew back enough to see Ezra's face. "I ain't goin' no place. I love you Ezra Standish. I ain't losing ya again."

"I love you too, Vin Tanner... and I'm not losing you again either."

Vin pulled him back into a firm embrace, content for now to just hold the man he loved. "They give you a hard time?"

"Not really..." He drew back and smiled up at Vin "... not nearly as hard a time as I believe Misters Larabee and Sanchez will be giving one William DuPree should the gentleman ever have the misfortune to cross their paths, either singularly or together."

Vin pulled him back into the embrace, his arms tightening around him. "That morning when I found Gamble gone... at first wouldn't nobody tell me nothin' 'cept ya'll was gone. Then one'a the waitresses... she told me that one'a DuPree's men carried you out to the coach and put you in...." He swallowed hard. "Did he find out ya was conning him? How bad did he hurt you?"

Ezra pulled back again and smiled up at him. "No, he did not find out... and not as badly as I hurt him." He added with a grin.

Then he reached out and began tugging at Vin's shirt trying to get it out of Vin's pants, "...and I do not want to talk about that miscreant..."

"I think..." He started pushing Vin back towards the bed as he unbuttoned the shirt, "...that we ought to finish what you started ten years ago in the hayloft of the stable at the Imperial Hotel in Galveston, Texas."

He shoved Vin back on the bed, where he landed with a laugh and grinned up at the gambler. "Come here, you." He ordered.

Ezra very gladly complied.

The End