Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
715
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,120

Maternal Instinct 2: As Usual

Summary:

Summary: It's keeping Mary up late at night
(Follows "Maternal Instinct")
Pairing: Terry/Bruce (But with Mary's POV!)
Characters: Terry, Bruce, Matt and Mary
Archive?: Sure! Just let me know where
Feedback?: Let me know what you think
Disclaimer: I don't own 'em. DC and WB does.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Maternal Instinct 2: As Usual
by Prodigette

 

Mary sat down on the leather couch and looked down at her feet. It was 1 AM, and Terry didn't come home. Mary usually worked double shifts while Max or Terry watched Matt. Raising two boys on her own wasn't easy at all. She knew that Terry stayed out late sometimes to work for Bruce. She used to be okay with that. But this time, it was different. She feel very uneasy knowing that her son was out in the world. Out with *him*. Terry had been gone for more than seven hours and it was keeping her up at night.

As usual, Mary let Terry go. She mentally kicked herself for being so foolish and for not putting up a fight.

"He's only working." She mumbled to herself. It was the tenth time that Mary had to say that. But no matter what, she couldn't convince herself of that. A rich and powerful man like Bruce Wayne could have more than one personal assistant. Why _only_ have Terry?

Mary cringed at the memory of just how much money Terry was receiving. At the time, she was only proud of Terry and didn't suspect anything. That much money couldn't be only because of a simple assisant's job.

A coffee mug was being held in her lightly shaking hands. Mary usually liked her coffee with cream and sugar in it, but not this time. She knew that this time it would have to be pretty strong. Maybe she would have to be the same way. She sipped the hot liquid and her face scrunched up as the bitterness of _everything_ kicked in.

Bruce Wayne was sleeping with her first born child.

Mary didn't know who to be more mad at. Pushing her hair out of her eyes, Mary wondered if this was her fault. Should she have stayed at home more often? Should she have been more strict with him? Terry had been a latchkey kid since he was ten. Wasn't that her fault?

Terry was only 17 years old. What the hell was Bruce Wayne thinking? Mary shook her head until it hurt. A large part of her didn't even want to know. She wanted to shake some sense into Terry. Mary also knew that if she told him that he couldn't work for Bruce, Terry would find a way to do it anyways. As usual, Terry wouldn't allow anything to stand in his way.

"Mom?"

Mary looked up from her feet. "Matt.."

The 10 year old boy stepped forward, rubbing at his eyes sleepily. "What's wrong? Where's Terry?"

Mary looked at her youngest son. "I don't know, dear."

"Is he in trouble?"

Mary gave a deep sigh and got up from the couch. Pacing the floors, she started breathing in and out. "I hope not. Matt, you're supposed to be asleep. You still have school in the morning."

"So does Terry!" The youngster pointed out with a smile on his face. Mary gave a rueful smile. "I know, but... Terry is a different story." Matt only shrugged and turn on his heels to go back to sleep. It was obvious that his mother wasn't in a very good mood.

Mary stood up while looking down at that cup of coffee in her hands. She looked back up at her other son. "And Matt?..."

Matt turned around. "Yeah, mom?" He asked with a curious expression on his face. He looked to be a smaller version of Terry, except Matt had dark eyes like her own. For some reason, that made her want to cry.

"Try not to grow up too fast." Mary said, blinking back tears. She put down the cup of coffee on the coffee table and made a gesture for Matt to hug her.

Matt ran a few feet forward and hugged her as tightly as possible. "I won't, Mom." Mary gave him a kiss on the forward and let go. She watched the young boy run off and continued to do some more thinking.

She took the coffee mug to the sink and dumped the liquid inside of it. Something told Mary that her son wouldn't be back for hours.

She also knew that when he did come back, she'd be sleep. As usual.

 

END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Prodigette.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.