Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
937
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
932

Gifts Shared

Summary:

Jim shares.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Gifts Shared
by Roxie

Honest to God, I don't know why I went with him.

"Let's go, Sandburg," he said as he stood in the door of my room. The way he looked at me, I had no doubt that it never occurred to him that I wouldn't go wherever it was that he was taking me. He knew I would follow simply because he asked. The bastard.

What I really wanted to do was roll over and go back to sleep. It was still dark outside, it was raining, and it was my fucking birthday. I already had plans for celebrating, thank you very much. And they stopped and started with sleeping late for a change. Apparently my Sentinel had other ideas.

"What's up? Is it a case? I didn't hear the phone the ring," I rambled as I clamored into the clothes that I had taken off the night before.

He didn't answer, but when I came through my door he had the most peculiar grin on his face. Something was up. And it was big.

"Hurry," he said with an almost child-on-Christmas-morning glee and disappeared out the front door carrying a canvas duffle. Definitely not a case.

Of course now that he was in motion, I had no choice but to follow. I hopped on one foot as I put on first one shoe and then the other without stopping my forward momentum. I grabbed my jacket and closed the door and had to run down the steps to catch him.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he unlocked my door then rounded the truck to get in himself. Somehow he managed to stay relatively dry, while raindrops fairly dripped from my hair.

"No questions," he answered with a gleam in his eye.

I shook my head like a dog and showered him with water. This earned me a playful cuff to the head, and although I was still in the dark, literally and figuratively, I was content to be at his side.

Some time later, hell I don't know how long, I hadn't had any caffeine yet, we arrived at the beach. He surprised me again by grabbing my wrist as I moved to get out of the truck.

"Wait," he said and unzipped the mystery bag on the seat. He pulled out a dark colored bandana and tied it around my eyes, much to my shock. Once again, he knew I'd let him. This time, I didn't bother to ask.

I sat patiently as he gathered up who knows what and came around to my side to carefully lead me out onto the sand. He spread something fluffy and dry and situated me on it, and himself directly behind me with his legs out to either side.

The rain slowed to more of a mist than a drizzle and Jim was solid and warm behind me. Frankly, I was comfortable when I leaned back to rest against him since he started this, whatever this was, anyway. We waited. In the distance a nightbird called, sounding closer without my sight to distract from it's song. The waves crashed onto the shore like drums. The sound of Jim's breathing mingled with my own. The quiet of the pre-dawn was in fact a cacophony of sound. I was beginning to see where we were going after all.

I almost went back to sleep until I heard a distinct squirt sound. I waited, but nothing else happened. Then I smelled it. "Megan," I said softly as I caught the slightly floral perfume of the breeze as it wafted past me. Then it was gone, replaced by a rich, cherry scent, like walking past the tobacco shop at the mall. "Simon." The last scent was more subtle, but Jim's sneeze gave it away. "Mom," I said happily as I sniffed the sage.

Jim brought his arms around me and placed my hand over his. He was cupping something hard and flat and wet. I traced my fingers over the objects. Money. A quarter, a nickel. The same size, but one was ridged, and one was smooth. I bypassed the money and concentrated on the feel of his hand. He let me explore his cool damp palm before pulling my hand to his mouth. He kissed my fingertips. By contrast his lips were soft and warm, something I almost missed, distracted by the sudden racing of my own heart. He chuckled and kissed my temple gently. I thought I would die.

He slipped a lemon flavored finger into my mouth. It was sour enough to cause my jaw to ache. He laughed as I made a face. I opened my mouth as he touched my lip again, this time, it was chocolate, frosting judging by the texture. I smelled the coffee before he could reach the thermos to my lips. Placing my hands over his, I happily sipped the robust brew.

"All that's left is sight," Jim whispered into my ear. "Are you ready?"

He took away the thermos and untied the bandana. "Yes," I answered, matching his hushed tone and keeping my eyes shut tight even as he pulled the blind fold away.

When I did open my eyes, the colors of the sunrise caught me off guard. Gold to orange to red, surrounded by a rich blue which deepened to black. "Wow," I sighed and relaxed into Jim's arms.

He sighed happily as well. "Happy birthday, Chief," he said and kissed my cheek.

I don't really know why I went with him. But I know I'm glad I did.

The End Feedback: Roxie130@aol.com

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Roxie.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.