Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
354
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
997

Nolanverse - Guacamole

Summary:

Stephens asks a question

Work Text:



Fic Scraplet: Guacamole
by Buffy

 

 

"Hey, Commish, got a minute?"  Jim looked up at Stephen's quiet question.  He was glad that the officer had gone to the mandatory counseling sessions and had managed to put the events of the Joker's escape behind him.  It took a strong man to get over having a knife held to your throat, and Stephens had shouldered a lot of guilt over letting the Joker manipulate him like that.

Jim leaned back with a sigh, grateful for the respite from the paperwork his new position forced on him.  "Sure, come on in."  He didn't comment when Stephens shut the door behind himself. He waited patiently for him to sit and reveal his purpose.

"Why is Batman taking the blame for Harvey Dent's kills?  Some kind of guilt because Dawes got turned into guacamole?"

Jim was torn between punching Stephens for disrespecting the dead and laughing at his way of describing Rachel's death.  He took off his glasses and dropped his head, debating what to tell his fellow officer.  Stephens was one of the ones he'd handpicked for MCU, one of his chosen men.  He was also one of the ones that had proven to be a good cop when the chips were down.

"Batman's not the hero Gotham needed right now, Dent was.  The city needs someone to chase, someone to blame for all the shit that went down."

"Fucking idiot.  And what happens when we need him to hunt down the next psychotic asshole or crook with hooks in the system?"

Jim smiled at Stephen's pragmatism, "Batman may have made himself a scapegoat, but I know how much we need him.  When the time comes, I have enough evidence in safekeeping to clear him without dragging Dent's reputation down."

Stephens nodded as if he'd expected that answer.  He got up to leave, pausing at the door, "Next time you see him, tell him the SWAT guys want to buy him a drink.  He may have dropped them like they were green recruits, but they're damn glad they didn't get a shot in at those clowns."

 

end