Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
835
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,101

Complications

Summary:

Who was the first to say "I love you"?

Work Text:

Warrick's POV

When I was a child my Grams' had this saying she would always tell me. She would always look at me and say "Child, you can complicate even the simplest things."
 
Well, it seems that's a trait I haven't outgrown yet. I still manage to complicate things that others would consider simple. Take love for example. Although it's never simple, per se, I manage to make it more complicated than it should be.
 
I've been dating Jim Brass for 6 months and although I know I love him, I have yet to say it. He hasn't either, but I suspect that as more to do with fear of rejection than anything else. After all, when we began seeing each other, I was adamant about not wanting a serious relationship. He accepted it, although I had an inkling at the time that he was looking for more. But I ignored it and chose to go with the moment. I figured that we would eventually get bored with one another, and since we hadn't made any commitments, feelings would be spared.
 
But that was before I fell for him. And that was a huge surprise. It's not that Jim isn't good-looking; in fact it's the exact opposite. I find him very attractive; I just never thought I'd actually fall for the guy. I have always had a desire for older men, and Jim was no exception. We started off on bad terms, but eventually we found common ground, and became friends. Not long after that I asked him out to dinner. And dinner became a movie, which became a home cooked meal, so on and so forth.
 
So six months later I find myself in an exclusive relationship with Jim Brass, and falling madly in love with him. At first I chalked it up to my emotions being in upheaval after Nick's kidnapping. It made perfect sense. Jim had been there for me the entire time. Sitting with me at the hospital as I watched Nick sleep, tossing and turning constantly from the nightmares that plagued him. Buying me the $40/lb Blue Hawaiian coffee Greg had introduced everyone at the lab to, simply because it was the only thing that gave me any energy after another sleepless night at Nick's bedside.
 
When Nick was released, he didn't mind the cancelled dates because Nick needed me to stay over with him. On some occasions he even brought us pizza and beer. And when my own nightmares started he was there for me, however I needed him to be. If I needed him to hold me and whisper comforting words in my ear, he was there. If I needed for him to sleep on the couch, because the mere touch of anyone's skin, or the blankets, felt like ants crawling all over me, he did it without a complaint. When I broke several dishes, throwing them against the wall, he just helped me clean up the mess. And when I tried to apologize to him for everything I had done, he simply kissed me, saying that there was nothing for me to apologize for. Then we would curl up on the sofa, and fall asleep in each other's arms watching some idiotic sitcom we had found on the television.
 
With all that it was no real surprise that I had fallen in love with Jim. Only an idiot wouldn't realize what a gift he is. And that brings me back to what my Grams said, I find ways to complicate the easiest things.
 
For the life of me, I can't bring myself to tell Jim how I feel. Maybe it's this insane stubborn streak of mine, or it could be the born competitor in me. Maybe I just don't want to be the first one to say those three words. Who knows?
 
Rolling onto my side, I stare out into the semi-darkness, unable to go back to sleep. I feel Jim stir behind me, slowly reaching out for me. Placing his hand on my chest, directly over my heart, he nuzzles my neck, "Bad dream?"
 
Turning in his embrace, I look up into his face. The moonlight casts shadows across his face, giving him this mysterious appearance. But all I can think is that I know all his secrets, nothing is hidden from me; he has bared his soul to me in so many ways. And the gratitude I feel at the amount of trust he has in me can't be measured.

And suddenly it's not so hard.
 
"I love you, Jim."
 
I see the surprise that flashes across his face, quickly followed by a soft smile, "I love you too, Warrick." Then he kisses me, before snuggling closer to me and falling back asleep.
 
I lay there listening to his soft snores, and realize that for once in my life, things aren't so complicated. And I like it that way.
 
THE END