Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
765
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
816

Unity

Summary:

Harvey Two-Face was about to cross a line from which he could not return.
Feedback: Please?
Archive: I don't know why you would want to, but please ask first.
Disclaimer: Don't own the characters, don't sue, I'm poor
Note: This follows no specific continuity; the characters are loosely based on the animated series

Work Text:

Unity
by Myka

 

Harvey Two-Face was about to cross a line from which he could not return. His finger was tensed on the trigger of his gun, and one of his henchmen was trembling in his sights. Two-Face had commited robbery, arson, and any number of other crimes, but he had never killed anyone. Well, he tried to kill Batman all the time, but what respectable criminal didn't? It wasn't like any of them actually expected to succeed, least of all Two-Face.

One of his hired help had purposely injured a child during their robbery of Gotham's Second National Bank. Two-Face's twisted moral code, with the help of his scarred coin, had decided the man's fate.

"Harvey, don't! Don't do this, please! There is still hope for you if you don't pull that trigger!" Batman's voice was strained with pain. His belt had been taken from him and his leg broken in nasty fight with Two-Face and a number of his henchmen. Batman tried to stand with his weight on his unbroken leg, but it was difficult on the uneven dirt floor of the hideout.

"Stay out of this! I'll deal with you in a minute." Two-Face growled.

Realizing that there was no other way to save Harvey, Batman struggled to run on his broken leg, and put himself in the path of Two-Face's bullet.

"Fine, I'll kill you first. He can't escape, my men will make sure of that."

While Two-Face was distracted, the man tried to escape, and Two-Face's remaining hired thugs flew after him. Before Two-Face could pull the trigger, Batman removed his mask. He kept his eyes closed for a moment and hoped that there was still enough of Harvey left to protect him.

"Bruce! What are you, I don't understand..." Harvey trailed off, bewildered. Then, more to himself than Bruce, he whispered, "But this does explain a lot..."

Bruce slipped the mask back on, just in case one of the other men returned. "Please, Harvey, let me help you. I know that you're still in there, you just proved it. Please!"

Harvey Two-Face's knees slammed into the ground as he began to sob painfully.

*

"The doctors believe that the Two-Face personality is completely gone. They haven't been able to figure out what triggered Harvey to take over again, and it looks like he's not telling." Bruce smirked at Dick. "He should be waking up soon. I just hope that with hs face back to normal, he'll be able to remain Harvey and stay in control permanently."

Dick didn't respond, but he hoped, for Bruce's sake, that Harvey was strong enough to stay in control.

Bruce lapsed back into one of his characteristic silences, a slight frown on his face. For once, it wasn't hard to read his thoughts. He was even figeting in his chair, unable to contain himself. When a nurse finally came and told them that they could go in to see Harvey, Bruce lept from his chair and did his absolute best not to run to Harvey's side. He was almost successful.

When Dick entered the room, Bruce was already sitting beside Harvey on the bed.

"Hello, Dick. It's been a long time. I like your hair. How's life?"

"A lot's changed, Harv."

"When I'm feeling stronger, I would love to hear about it all." The enthusiasm in his voice faded. "I just hope that I stay, and not HIM. He's so strong..."

Bruce reached down and took one of Harvey's hands in his own. "You will, Harvey. I know that you can do it. The doctors told you that you need to be under constant supervision, at least for now, didn't they?"

"Yes, they did. I guess I'll have to go live with one or something. Just so it's not Arkham again."

"Actually, if it's alright with you, I offered a different solution. You can come and live with me, if you like. The doctors have already agreed."

Harvey's eyes were bright with tears as he looked up into Bruce's face. Not trusting his voice, he just nodded at Bruce and smiled weakly. They held each other's stare for a few moments longer than was normal, and something odd passed over both of their faces. They turned away at the same moment. They didn't release each other's hands, however.

Dick's detective instincts kicked into hyperdrive.

 

CONTINUES