Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-12-13
Words:
3,576
Chapters:
13/13
Comments:
12
Kudos:
28
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
7,946

Daniel's Stargate

Summary:

Co-authors Teddy and Peja
Jack O'Neill is called back to duty, where he encounters a young brilliant boy
Category: Wren fic - anyone can post the next seg

Chapter 1: Chapter 1- 2 by Teddy

Chapter Text



Daniel's Stargate
by Teddy


Dr Catterina Langford approached the director's office of the orphanage. It wasn't called that. They didn't called them that anymore but it was still an orphanage. It was the secured section of the institute where underpaid, overworked nurses and nursing aides cared for the disabled children in overcrowded wards, because no one wanted these children. Those looking for children wanted the normal easy to look after type who had no trouble finding homes. Their wards were almost never full. They were processed and sent on to group homes to await adoption asap. These children would be here until they graduated to the wards of the teenagers and then on to be left on the streets to take care of themselves or into over crowded institutes designed for their specific disorder.

She didn't like what she was about to do, but it might, just might, give one child a chance to get out of this environment. The director greeted her and within two hours Dr Langford was riding in the back of the car driven by an Airman from the local base, with a small withdrawn boy strapped in beside her. He hadn't said a word or even acknowledged her presence but at least he hadn't faught them in getting him ready and packing his few belongings to take him from the institute. She wished she had custody, but she didn't. The USAF was now the guardian of an autistic 8 year old boy.

Colonel O'Neill walked into the General's office. He wasn't sure why he'd been called in. He really wasn't sure why he was even here. He had been in the act of contemplating a pistol in his dead son's room when a couple of Air Force gopher boys showed up at his door.

Sara had let them in and they had informed him that he had been reactivated into his old Air Force job. He had at first refused, but then he finally gave in. What difference did it make anyway? He really didn't care.

So he grabbed his old uniforms out of the attic, took a quick trip to a barber and off he went, "Any Place, Any Time, Any Where"  as his old command's motto bragged. A military flight landed him at Peterson Field in Colorado Springs. A blue sedan met him at the flight line and he was whisked away to yet another base, Cheyenne Mountain.

A new ID card and quick trip down 28 levels got him to his new Commanding Officer's office. The door read Major General West in big gold letters.

The General looked up at him, returned his salute and waved him towards one of two arm chairs. "Sit down Colonel. We have a situation and I think you re the right man for the job."

"And what would that job be, Sir?" O'Neill asked suspiciously.

West frowned down at some papers on his desk. "I'll cut right to the chase Colonel. This is a top secret project. I command mainly military techies of all branches of the service and an assortment of civilian scientists. I need a man who can do what he's told, when he's told to who he's told and keep his mouth shut. To put it bluntly I need a strong right arm that I can depend on."

"Sir," O'Neill took a deep breath. "Sir, you do know I took a section 8 out of the service. I may not be who you need."

The senior officer looked up at him. "You were recommended by somebody higher up in the chain of command. I was told you were a go to kind of officer." He shuffled some papers. "I realize that you suffered a loss some time back, but you surprised everyone and survived the initial situation. You made it over the hump. Now its time to come back and get it back together again."

"You mean I didn't eat the bullet after all this time and some one recommended me? Begging your pardon Sir, but that's nuts."

West looked him straight in the eye. "I'll be honest, Colonel. This is a special kind of situation, nuts if you will. But I think with your background that you will find it a challenging assignment, one that needs special handling. I was told you can do the job. I've reviewed your records. I believe you will." He slid a handful of folders across the desk to O'Neill. "Here's the personnel you'll be working with." West looked towards the door and nodded. " The Sergeant will show you your office. Dismissed."

O'Neill took the sheaf of manilla folders and headed out of the office. A short balding bespectacled Tech Sergeant met him at the door.

"Colonel O'Neil, I'm Sergeant Harriman. Welcome to Stargate Command."

Dr Langford led Daniel through the maze of security down to level 27. They walked into a huge room with massively high ceiling. At the back of the room was one simple table, a chalk board and carefully mounted on the wall, several heavy carved stones that formed a circle. Each was carved with various symbols.

Daniel walked to the chalk board and took the eraser and chalk in hand, as if he knew what he was there for. Muttering to himself he erased and corrected the translation. The other two scientists present tried to stop him but Langford stopped them.

"Who is this?"

"This is the new translator," Catterina said.

"What? He's just a child!"

"Not just," Catterina replied.

Just then Colonel O'neill entered the room.

Catherine looked over at the tall man in the blue uniform. "Um, do I know you?"

"I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill from General West's office. I'll be taking over from now on."

Daniel stared him. O'Neill returned his baleful look. "Who is this boy?"

"He's my new translator." Catherine put her arm around the boy's shoulder.

"I wasn't told about any children on the project."

"We've only just arrived. His parents were...." she started to explain.

O'Neill cut her off. "Well, whoever they were, they aren't here now and he has to leave."

"No, Colonel. He has to stay." She argued. "His parents are dead. He has no place else to go."

O'Neill frowned at her. "Well, you are responsible for his care and well being. This project has become classified. From now on, no information is to be passed on to non-military personnel without my express permission."

The others gathered around the woman and boy. "Catherine, what's going on here?"

Catherine looked around at them. "I'm not sure." She looked down at Daniel. "Wait here for me."

O'Neil continues to walk down a corridor. Catherine followed him.."Colonel O Neil, I think you owe me an explanation."

O'Neil stops and turns back.

Catherine continued. "I was told I had complete autonomy."

The Colonel looks at her. "Plans change."

"Why are you here? Why did they bring you on this project?" She asked coldly.

O'Neill glances around evasively before looking directly at her. "I'm here in case you succeed."


end part 2