Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-11-23
Words:
1,735
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,676

Got Away

Summary:

for the nekid number: Halloween

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

PG13
unbeta'd (hopefully when I read it over tomorrow I'll catch any errors)

Chapter Text



Got Away
by FemailoftheSpecies aka cafedemonde

 

Lilah ran.

Thin branches slashing at her face like spindly fingers tearing at her skin with surprising strength. The walls of the maze closed in, shrinking around her, making her feel small and lost.

And she might as well have been on a deserted island for all the good screaming had done.

It was close, on her heals she thought, but didn’t dare look back to confirm this. She just ran harder, her legs trembling with every long stride now, and imagined that she heard laughter.

Coming upon another intersection, she slowed, indecision gripping her because she thought she had been there already, before dashing to the left and pouring on the speed again. Her breath was ragged and hot, coming in puffs that trailed out behind her. And she was dizzy, the top of her head and the tips of her fingers tingling, needing more air than her exhausted body could provide. But she clung to the skull in her hand determinedly.

Because as bad as the vampire was that was chasing her, there was one thing worse…

The Senior Partners.

She rounded another corner and let out a whimper of disburdened joy when she saw an exit, her eyes fluttering as a sudden breeze made her blink.

And then he was in front of her and she skidded, barely stopping herself from colliding into him.

“Spike,” she panted, bending over at the waist and unable to say more. She retreated a few steps for every one that he took toward her, her hand out to hold him at bay. “I…You…we…can make…a deal.”

He shook his head. “Sorry, Pigeon. No deals. I need that Marganian Skull for my Dru’s recovery.”

Lilah nodded, still out of breath, but desperate to keep him talking. A talking mouth wasn’t a biting mouth. “I understand how ...ill she’s been and can’t imagine...how you must feel. I can help you...help you both. I have resources beyond anything –”

“Give. Me. The. Skull,” he interrupted. “I won’t ask again.” His eyes were turning colors, swirling with the fire of the sun, and his teeth became just a little longer and pointier than what was polite.

“They’ll kill me…”

He laughed. “I’ll do it first.”

He moved, a blur of motion to her, and she was hauled upright by her dark hair with her head wrenched painfully to the side, exposing her neck to him. He lunged, his face changing just in time for demonic teeth the slide into buttery soft flesh.

Bolting upright, Lilah screamed as she clutched damp sheets to her chest. It was a short-lived yelp as she realized where she was – her hotel room. Lifting a shaking hand, she pushed her sweaty hair back from her face and sighed, unmindful of the healing scratches that marred her skin.

A dream.

God…she didn’t need this shit.

She reached over, fumbling for the lamp before turning it on. Squinting eyes found the skull on the dresser where she had left it and relief flooded her.

“What is wrong with me?” she whispered annoyed at herself. With the help of a little vial of holy water she’d escaped that unfortunate dilemma and had the prize as well. What was the point of dreaming otherwise?

The darkness by the window shifted and Spike stepped out, unfolding from the shadows like a blossoming flower. Eyes wide, lips pursed. Lilah froze.

He leaned over the bed, resting his knee on the mattress and inhaled. “Well, well. If it isn’t the one that got away.”

 
end part 1