Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,157
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,014

Kim Had Finally Had Enough!

Summary:

Summary: Scully's latest stunt was the last straw!
24 hour story prompt "You're so vain..."

Work Text:

Kim Had Finally Had Enough!
by Mummiehelen
grhesc@yahoo.com

 

 

It was only by chance that Kim was at the office at this hour. She wasn't usually forgetful but, she'd bought a birthday present for a friend at lunch and had locked it in the bottom drawer of her desk. At the end of the day, she'd gone through her usual routine.She gathered the folders her boss had used, put both their coffee mugs in the dishwasher in the break room down the hall, covered her computer and left. It wasn't until she was on her way to meet Jenny for dinner that she realized her gift was still at work.

The night shift guard waved her on and she hurried down the hall once she was off the elevator. She was digging out the key for her desk when Skinner slammed in and walked past, not even noticing her. She ventured a glance through his open door.

"Is everything alright, Sir?"

"What are you doing here at this hour?" he asked.

"I had to get something."

She'd been his PA for several years now and he let his guard down with her more than anyone at the bureau. But what he did next really surprised her. He placed his elbows on the desk and rested his head in his hands.

"I don't know why I even bother sometimes." he said in a defeated voice.

"Bother with what?" she asked, sitting down in the chair Mulder usually took when he was there.

He explained about the MJ Documents, how Mulder had received them and the route they had taken to come into his possession.How he'd tried unsuccessfully to give them to Agent Scully and what had just transpired at Mulder's apartment.

"She actually pulled a gun on you?" she asked disbelievingly.

"Yeah." he said and continued the narrative about how someone had told her she'd be killed by someone she trusted.

"And she took this person's word over yours?"

"Apparently." he said with a shrug.

Kim sat stock still, trying to absorb everything he'd said, how Scully had pulled the gun as soon as they got to Mulder's place, how she was convinced he'd been sent to kill her. She could see Skinner was baffled by the accusation. He had important information to give her and just wanted to do so in a safe place.
 
"What's so bizarre is, she knew I had a gun but she didn't take it.She had me sit on my hands instead. When I grasped what she was accusing me of, I couldn't believe she'd already judged me and found me guilty. If she'd arrested a suspect, he wouldn't even be held on such flimsy evidence. And she spoke to me with such contemptuousness. What really makes me wonder is her thought process. If I wanted to kill her, I sure wouldn't do it in Mulder's where we've both been many times and could be recognized and the shot would be heard by neighbors who'd call the police. I'd be trapping myself. No, I'd do it the way I was trained to, sniper style. She'd never suspect it. Nor would anyone else."

Kim shook her head in disbelief.

"I'm keeping you." he said and stood, indicating he was leaving.

She got her package and called Jenny to apologize for the delay.

Kim enjoyed her friend's birthday but made a point to get to work early the next morning.There were things she wanted to check out.

 

 

Skinner's Outer Office
6:00 AM

Kim sat at her computer. With her security clearance, she could tap into most databases and found out quite a load of information on Agent Dana Scully. Her grades in the last quarter before graduation from med school were low. She was struggling, then all of a sudden they came up...way up.There were also dips and sudden spikes in her grades at Quantico. She checked further and discovered her med school grades came up right around the time she began an affair with one of her married professors. She'd also entered into a relationship with a married instructor in the first weeks at Quantico.

Kim sat back and took a break from her monitor.

'So.' she thought. 'All the time she accepted praise for achieving duel careers, she was a phony.'

"Just like your hair color." she said maliciously in the empty office.

She checked the agent's schedule and saw Scully wasn't in town but would have to check in, which she did that afternoon. As soon as Kim knew she was in the building, she called.

"Can you meet me in conference room C108 in ten minutes?"

"Sure. Is this a meeting with Skinner?"

"No, with me." she said and hung up.

The red-headed agent was pacing the floor when Kim came in and made sure to make her impatience known.

"I have a busy schedule. What do you want?"

"I know your schedule and you don't have anything for another hour." Kim said.

"What's this all about?"

"What do you suppose OPR would think if they knew you and your partner drew your weapons on your supervisor without provocation?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Last night, at Mulder's apartment."

"How do you ..." she caught herself mid-sentence.

"Skinner came back here afterward. You thought he was a contract killer."

"I had reason to suspect him."

"You had nothing. And either your so damn vain or just plain stupid to think he'd go to all the trouble of luring you to Mulder's place to do it. He's a lot smarter than that and if he wanted you dead, you *would* be."

"So why are you telling me this?"

"I've lost count of the times you've barged into his office with a request that endangered either him, his career or both."

"How do you know that?"

" *Agent* Scully, who do you think looks up the information you request?"

"I didn't think you had the clearance."

"Well I do."

"So?"

"So, you're going to stop bothering him for anything that falls outside normal work perimeters."

"Or?"

"Or maybe you's like to retake all your tests from Quantico orally OR perhaps you'd like to discuss that little foray with the OPR... your choice."

"That's blackmail."

"Call it what you like. I want you to leave him alone. Do we understand each other?"

"I suppose I have no choice." Scully grumbled as she headed for the door.

"And Scully." Kim said taking her by the arm. "Let me remind you. This isn't just until you need something from him. This is permanent good behavior."

"I get it." Scully said, pulled her arm away and walked out.

Kim leaned against the door with her arms crossed over her chest.She knew he went out of his way for the agents cause that was his nature and even though he didn't expect anything in return, she couldn't figure out why two seemingly intelligent people couldn't utter two simple words of appreciation: Thank you.

 

end