Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,338
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,666

It's Just You

Summary:

Gage and Sydney are working undercover at a casino when he dedicates a song to her.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

It's Just You
by Pirate Turner

 

        She couldn't keep her eyes from looking at him. It seemed that every time she moved, her eyes were unexplicably drawn to the stage where he sang and danced. She couldn't help the moan that rose in the back of her throat as she watched him move, shaking his legs and groin even more heatedly than the King himself had. She cocked her head slightly and studied him for a moment. His movements might be sexy and his voice thrilling to her ears, but he still didn't look right. She preferred him in his own clothes, and that jet black wig hid his brownish blonde hair.

        "Waitress! Waitress!" a gruff voice nearly yelled, snapping the woman out of her silent admiration of the Elvis imitator. She hurried to the customer's table, babbling an apology.

        The music stopped, and she was on her way to fulfill the man's order when the singer spoke. "This next song goes out to a very beautiful waitress here," he drawled out into the mike. She felt eyes on her, and her head snapped up. He was looking straight at her, and she felt her palms begin to sweat when their eyes locked and held each other's gaze. He then pointed at her as he drawled, "This one's just for you, baby." His lips pulled back into a half-snarl, half-smile.

        {Walker's going to kill him!} Sydney thought as her partner began to strum his guitar.

You know I can be found,
sitting home all alone,
If you can't come around,
at least please telephone.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.

        {What is he thinking?! How can he risk blowing our covers just to try a new move on me?!} Her dark eyes swept the casino, desperately seeking any one who seemed to have suddenly grown suspicious. None of the men seemed to have taken any notice. Most of the women were staring at the stage, and the few who weren't were either focused on their gambling or staring at her and shaking their heads disapprovingly. Sydney glared at them. She started to turn but found herself stopping and turning back to the stage as Gage continued to sing.

Baby, if I made you mad
for something I might have said,
Please, let's forget the past,
the future looks bright ahead,
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

        Sydney's forehead creased slightly in confusion. Out of all of Elvis' songs, why had he picked this song? She wasn't mad at him . . . but he thought she was, Syd suddenly realized as she recalled an incident on the morning of a few days ago. They had been getting in some last minute exercising before adopting their new covers, and he had again mentioned their kiss during Walker and Alex's wedding. As always, she had completely denied that it had meant anything at all to her.

        Sydney's lust-filled eyes watched Gage's body move across the stage. She had known he was incredibly hot, but she had never realized until this moment just how uncannily sizzling he truly was. Her throat had gone dry suddenly, and she reached out for the nearest thing to wet it, plucking a small glass from a passing tray and downing it in one sip without ever even bothering to see what it was. She simply could not tear her eyes away from him.

        She wasn't mad at him though he had continued to persist that a kiss as heated as the one they had shared could not possibly have meant something for only one of them. She had actually grown used to his attempts, but why did he have to make it so damn hard for her to deny his every advance? She wanted him. She had wanted him for years, but she still couldn't have him. She could never have him, no matter how willing he was.

Don't stop thinking of me,
don't make me feel this way,
Come on over here and love me,
you know what I want you to say.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
Why should we be apart?
I really love you baby, cross my heart.

        As he gazed adoringly at her while singing, there was nothing more that she wanted to do than to walk right up onto that stage, wrap her lips and herself around him and his, and simply have her way with him. {But you can't, Syd,} she reminded herself, one strand of reason left in her lust-induced mind and love-filled heart. {You know you can't.}

        She wished he could see that it wasn't as easy as he always made it out to be, but she knew it wouldn't do any good for her to explain the truth of the situation to him. He'd never understand, and besides in order to explain the truth of why they couldn't be together, she'd have to admit to him that she truly did love him. While that was something that she long ago learned to admit to herself, she knew she could never tell any other living soul about it.

Let's walk up to the preacher
and let us say I do,
Then you'll know you'll have me,
and I'll know I'll have you too,
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

        {And it's only you I want, Gage,} she couldn't help thinking, {but it just can't be.} Her eyes threatened to fill with tears, but she forced them away. She couldn't let herself be seen crying. Tears were a sign of weakness, and she couldn't afford to show any weakness, especially not while on duty. She wanted him desperately and loved him more than she had ever imagined she could love any one. She knew he felt the same way about her. It should be as easy as he thought it was, but the truth was that love between partners or, for that matter, even friends could never be easy.

Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

        The song finished, and he headed off the stage. For just a second, she lost sight of him, but then she spotted him striding towards her. Her heartbeat pounded even more than it already had been, lodging itself even higher up into her throat as he came nearer. She wanted to be able to go to him, but she knew that if she did, the pretending would be over. She would no longer be able to fight her feelings for him, and their romance could finally begin.

        However, Sydney also knew that if she ever allowed their romance to begin, it would be a matter of time before something terrible happened to split them apart. If that were to ever happen, she would either lose Gage entirely or have to continue working with him but never again be able to be as close to him as they had been. Slowly, she shook her head and backed up into the crowd. Although she could not hear him call her name over the roar of the casino, she saw his lips form her name. She again shook her head and forced herself to turn away from him.

        Gage forced himself to stop as he saw her take off through the crowd. He sighed, and his shoulders slumped in defeat. He should never have tried it. It was a stupid idea, and instead of winning her over, it had only succeeded in sending her scurrying even farther. His fist reached out, pounding the nearby wall in frustration.

        "I could make you forget her, handsome," a soft, feminine voice crooned an offer from right behind him.

        Without even looking at the woman, he muttered, "Not interested," and walked off.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.