Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
3,104
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,064

Lennie's New Guy 2: Maybe

Summary:

Series/Sequel: sequel to "Lennie's New Guy"
Disclaimer: Shale is the only one that belongs to me. The rest of these guys don't. I'm not making any money off them.
any feedback is appreciated

Work Text:

Lennie's New Guy 2: Maybe
by Python

Shale sat at his desk at the office, bored out of his mind. He rubbed his eyes and looked at his watch. Four thirty. At least he would be getting off soon.

Shale's eye roved over the pictures on the desktop. He grinned at the one of him and Lennie at the Yankees game. Lennie had been so happy and it was contagious.

Shale leaned back in his seat. Lennie saw bad things on an everyday basis and Shale was glad that he could provide the other man with some joy. He tapped his pen on the arm of his chair and shook his head ruefully. He'd fallen for Lennie hard and fast and had only waited a month to ask Lennie to move in with him. Now, they'd lived together as a couple for seven months.

The phone rang and Shale sat forward to pick it up. "Tiernan."

"Shale."

Shale immediately heard the strain in Ed's voice. "What is it, Ed? Has something happened to Lennie?"

Ed grunted. "He was shot."

Shale shot to his feet and gripped the receiver. "What!"

"We were trying to make an arrest."

"Where are you?"

"Saint Agnes."

"I'm coming right now," Shale stated and slammed the phone down. He grabbed his suit jacket off the back of his chair and strode out of the office. He let his assistant, Erin, know that he was leaving that he was not to be disturbed for the rest of the day.

"Is everything all right, Shale?" she asked with concerned brown eyes.

"Lennie's in the hospital."

Erin frowned. "I'll take care of everything here."

"Thanks," Shale said crisply and turned away from Erin.

"I hope he's all right," Erin called after him.

Shale glanced at her over his shoulder. "He will be."

*

Shale broke numerous traffic laws to get to the hospital in fifteen minutes. The receptionist told him where Ed was waiting. He saw the young man pacing the waiting area. "Ed," he said in barely contained excitement.

Ed stopped pacing and walked over to Shale. "I'm sorry, Shale."

"What the hell happened?" Shale demanded.

Ed's shoulders slumped. "We had warrants to arrest Michael Wells, Cole Davis, and Chris Lawrence. There was a gunfight and Lennie and two other officers were wounded."

"Is it bad?"

"He took it in the chest. The doctors are working on him right now."

Shale clenched his hand into a fist. "And Wells, Davis, and Lawrence?"

"Davis and Lawrence are dead. Wells was only hit in the shoulder."

Shale was angry. He glared at Ed but knew this wasn't Ed's fault. He turned his back and walked over the window overlooking the busy street.

Ed came up behind the Englishman and tentatively put his hand on Shale's shoulder. "I am so sorry."

Shale swallowed and turned to face Ed. "I know, Ed. How long's he been in surgery?"

"They got him in a half hour ago."

Shale sank down into a chair. He knew that major surgery of the kind Lennie was undergoing took a lot longer. He ran a hand through his evenly mixed brown and gray hair. "Bloody hell."

Ed sat beside Shale. He sat forward, resting his elbows on his knees and rubbing his hands together. "He'll pull through Shale."

Shale touched Ed's back and said with complete conviction, "Of that, I have no doubt."

They were both quiet after that. What could possibly be said? A slow half hour passed before Ed nudged Shale with his elbow and pointed to two uniforms escorting a man with his arm in a sling. "That's Wells with Officers Grady and Looper. They're from our precinct, good guys."

Shale's eyebrow rose and he looked on one of the men responsible for his lover's condition. Wells appeared to be in his mid thirties, slender, with thinning black hair and a hook nose. He was pale and stared at the officers with him in distaste.

Ed stood up and stretched. He glanced at Wells and then back at Shale.

"I'm going down the hall to the snack machine. You want anything?"

Shale cracked his knuckles. "No, thank you, Ed."

Ed nodded, turned on his heel, and walked away. Shale slowly and deliberately stood up. He kept his outward appearance cool even though he was boiling on the inside.

The two officers saw Shale and turned to speak to one of the nurses. They didn't see Shale continuing to advance on Wells. Wells glared at Shale.

"What do you want?"

Shale rubbed his mustache. "You are Michael Wells."

"Yeah, so?"

"I just wanted to make sure."

"What--" Wells' sentence was cut off by Shale punching him in the face, breaking his nose. He howled in pain as the blood gushed down his face.

The officers turned in a good imitation of surprise. "Mr. Tiernan," Grady said in his best shocked voice.

Shale folded his arms across his chest. "I apologize for my behavior, Officers, I lost my head," he said with not the least bit of repentance.

"You let him do that to me," Wells wailed.

"Come on," Looper said gruffly. "We'll take you back to the docs so they can fix your nose."

Shale waited until Grady and Looper disappeared with Wells before shaking his hand out. That's when he saw Anita. She had her arms folded across her chest. "Oh, so sorry, Lieutenant. I don't know what came over me."

Anita eyed Shale sternly. "Nothing like that will happen again, will it Shale?"

Shale crossed his heart. "I give you my word, Ma'am. I won't lay another hand on him."

Anita finally smiled. "All right, Shale."

They walked back over to the seats in the waiting area. Ed came back with a Snickers bar. "What happened?" he asked, trying to sound innocent.

Anita pursed her lips. "You know very well."

"What? All I did was go to the snack machine?"

Anita pointed her finger at Ed. "Enough, Detective."

Ed grinned. "Yes, Lieu."

Anita let out an exasperated sigh. "No more roughing up suspects, from either of you. Do you two understand me?"

"Yes, Lieutenant," the two men chorused.

"Have the doctors told you anything about Lennie?"

Ed frowned. "Not yet."

"Well, I called Lennie's daughter and let her know what's going on."

"In Florida, there's not much that Julia can do."

"There's not much we can really do either, except wait," Shale pointed out. He pinched the bridge of his nose. He hated waiting.

*

Anita was called back to the precinct but Ed stayed with Shale. They waited another two hours and watched soaps on the television in the waiting area. "Isn't there anything better on?" Shale complained, shifting to find a more comfortable position in his seat.

Ed chuckled. "The only other things on a talk shows, judge shows, or Oprah."

"Do you have your gun?"

"Of course, why?"

Shale gestured to the TV dramatically. "Because I might just have to put the television out of my misery."

Ed laughed but tensed when he saw a newcomer in the waiting area. Shale saw him, too. "Our favorite DA is here."

Ed snorted. "Like Jack gives a damn. He's here for the token DA visit."

Shale watched Jack take a seat on the other side of the room from them. He didn't know what possessed him to say this. Maybe it was just the sorry on Jack's face. "Perhaps, you should cut him some slack, Ed."

"He's a jerk, Shale," Ed retorted. "You should have seen how he treated Lennie before you came. Lennie's was just a warm bed for him to crawl into when he didn't have another." He shook his head in disgust. "But Lennie fell for him and always took him back. Jack would come back for a week or two at a time and then dump him for the next pretty young girl."

Shale listened to Ed's rant but continued to study Jack. Jack looked different than when Shale had first met him. Jack's appearance was more haggard. It was plain that he didn't sleep. His complexion was ruddy, his eyes were bloodshot, and his hands shook. It took Shale two seconds to figure out that his alcohol consumption had gone through the roof.

Jack briefly met Shale's eyes but looked away again, shifting uncomfortably in his chair. Shale took his gaze from Jack and looked at Ed.

"Do you think he could care at all? Perhaps he hides his feelings well."

"Jack only cares about two things: himself and his next conviction."

One end of Shale's mouth quirked up. "Has it ever occurred to you that you could be wrong?"

"Well, anything possible, but in this case I doubt it."

Shale observed Jack again. The lines on Jack's face were deeper and his posture did not betray the same confidence as when the two first met. Shale knew the pain that Jack had caused Lennie too well and he was weary of Jack because of it. But he found himself pitying Jack at that moment. He knew a man close to the breaking point when he saw one. He came to the conclusion that Jack was in love with Lennie but it took Lennie's leaving him to make Jack realize it.

Jack shifted again and Shale knew that Jack could feel his eyes on him.

He quit his inspection of Jack and looked at the TV, but not really watching it. Jack loved his Lennie but he had nothing to worry about. He knew it in his heart that Lennie loved him just as much as he loved Lennie.

*

Another couple hours passed. Shale switched between the TV and observing Jack reading the newspaper. Jack never acknowledged his gaze. Ed was still in the seat next to him, dozing lightly.

A doctor came in and Shale shook Ed's shoulder. "Ed, the doctor's here."

Ed sat bolt upright. "I can't believe I fell asleep." He threw a dirty look at Shale. "You let me sleep."

Shale laughed and the doctor waited for Ed to calm down. "I'm Dr. Hunt. Are you two here for Detective Briscoe?"

Shale and Ed both stood up. "Yes," Ed answered excitedly.

Shale kept his voice calm but effort of will. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that Jack was still seated but looking at the three of them with rapt attention. "How is he, Doctor?"

Hunt let out a long breath. "Well, we successfully removed the bullet. He lost a lot of blood, but I think he'll make it."

Shale shut his eyes for a moment in relief. "Thank God."

"It will take some time for Detective Briscoe to regain his strength.

We're keeping him in ICU for tonight in case of any complications." Hunt paused and smiled tiredly at the two men. "So, it's not quite time to be planning a party yet but I don't think you'll be needing to plan his funeral real soon either."

"Thank you, Doctor."

"Yeah, thanks," Ed chimed in.

Hunt chuckled. "You're welcome. Now, I suggest that you both go home and try to relax a little." He put a hand up. "I know that's easier said than done, but try anyway."

Hunt left and Ed turned to Shale. "I'd better call Van Buren."

"Yes. I'm sure that you would want to know," Shale agreed dryly.

Ed patted Shale's shoulder. "You need a ride home or anything?"

"No thanks, Ed. I'm going to go home, call Julia myself, and perhaps have a bath before bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Only if you're sure."

"I am."

Ed smiled. "Okay."

*

Ed went to find a phone and Shale noticed Jack was gone. He stepped out into the hall and saw Jack by the elevators. He hurried to catch up. "Hold the elevator," he said, sticking his arm into the doors.

Jack leaned against the back wall of the elevator, hugging his newspaper to his chest. "Shale," he greeted quietly.

"Jack."

Jack stared at the floor. "I'm glad Lennie's going to be okay."

"Me, too."

"He doesn't deserve this."

"No, he doesn't," Shale agreed, convinced that his conclusion about Jack was correct. Maybe Jack wasn't as bad as he had first thought. "Come and have a coffee with me, Jack."

Jack finally met Shale's eyes suspiciously. "Why?"

"Why not?" Shale retorted. He smiled warmly. "What have you got to lose?"

Jack's voice held a bitter edge. "Nothing."

"I just want to talk, Jack."

Jack swallowed. "All right, Shale."

*

It was dark outside and Shale and Jack went to a small coffee house a block from the hospital. It was a small establishment and half full. They found a table against one wall.

They gave their orders to the waitress and then Jack sat back in his chair. "What do you want to talk about?"

Shale met Jack's gaze and answered sincerely, "I just wanted to thank you for coming to the hospital."

Jack shrugged. "I needed to be there."

"I know. You needed to be there just as much as me."

Jack grunted. "I don't know if I'd go that far."

"I would," Shale said with no hostility. He was not threatened by Jack. There was no need because he had Lennie's heart.

Jack was quiet and the look on his face reminded Shale of a deer in headlights. The waitress brought their coffee and hurried away to wait on another table. Jack brought his cup to his lips with a shaky hand.

Shale didn't comment on that. He took a drink of his and shut his eyes in appreciation. "Very good."

"Yeah," Jack agreed without enthusiasm.

Shale sighed. "It's tough when two people are in love with the same man."

Jack let out a bitter laugh. "But he chose you."

"When I first came, he would've dropped me in a minute for you. He was in love with you."

Jack's shoulders slumped. "I let him slip away."

Shale's voice held no scorn. "Yes, you did, and you're a fool for it."

"Yes, I am." Jack paused for a few moments and smiled ruefully. "There's no chance of you leaving, is there?"

Shale laughed good-naturedly. He didn't blame Jack one bit for asking.

"No, I'm staying. I love him and will fight for him if I have to."

Jack shook his head in grim resignation. "I've seen him when he talks about you. He loves you, too. Keep taking care of him."

"I will but I must confess that I didn't think you'd be this gracious of a loser."

Jack downed the rest of his coffee in three quick gulps and stood up. "I want Lennie to be happy. And, right now, what makes him happy is you." He inclined his head to Shale and quietly walked away.

Shale stared after Jack. He and Jack had come to an understanding and Jack was definitely not as bad as he had once thought. He leisurely finished the rest of his coffee and then went home.

Shale flipped on the light and hung his jacket in the door closet next to one of Lennie's. Then he went into the kitchen and opened the fridge to get his mineral water. He caught sight of the cranberry/grape juice.

Shale made a face. God, he hated that stuff, but Lennie loved it. He closed the fridge door, screwed the cap off his water, and headed into the bedroom.

Shale made his way in the dark to the stand by the bed. He switched on the lamp and set his water down. He sat on the bed to take off his shoes and socks. Then he pulled his tie off and went to put his shoes in the closet.

Half the closet held Lennie's stuff. Shale fingered the arm of his favorite of Lennie's shirts. "Lennie, I wish I could get you to wear this silk more often and the blue makes your eyes look incredible."

Shale laughed at himself. He was definitely getting sentimental in his old age. He closed the closet and sat on the bed.

Shale took a big swig of water, grabbed the phone, and called Julia. They spoke for a half hour. He assured her that Dr. Hunt said that Lennie should be fine. "I will call you when I know more," he assured her.

"Thanks, Shale. How are you holding up?"

Shale smiled at her concern. He was pleased that they got along. It would have been tough on Lennie if they hated each other. "I miss him, but I'm fine."

"You let me know if there's anything that I can do."

"I will."

"Do you promise?"

"Yes," Shale answered earnestly. "I promise."

"All right. Good night, Shale."

"Good night, Julia." Shale hung up and took his bottle of water with him into the bathroom. He set it on the side of the bathtub, turned on the hot water, and removed the rest of his clothes.

When the tub was full, Shale eased himself into the comforting water. He shut his eyes, turning over everything that happened that day in his mind.

His Lennie was injured but he knew that Lennie would recover. He was not about to lose Lennie now. And he'd discovered that Jack really wasn't a hard-hearted bastard.

Jack had had an opportunity for love but let is slip through his fingers.

Shale pitied Jack's pain but he wasn't sorry it happened. If Jack had realized what he wanted from the beginning than Shale would have never had a chance with Lennie.

Shale stayed in the tub until the water cooled. He got out, dried himself off, and dressed for bed. Then he threw his empty bottle away in the bathroom trash can, padded into the bedroom, and crawled under the covers.

Shale switched off the lamp and turned on his side to face Lennie's side of the bed. He hugged Lennie's pillow to his chest. "I'm never going to lose you, Lennie," he whispered vehemently and eventually drifted off to sleep.

 

The end...for now.