Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-11-09
Words:
14,994
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
5
Kudos:
22
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
4,633

All in the Family

Summary:

When a mysterious call comes for "Lee Gibbs" and he disappears, it changes everything. What does it all mean? Spoilers for episode 6X04.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

This is our spin on what NCIS intends to do in episode 6X04. We're pretty sure we've twisted their idea LOL!
Thanks to Anna for the beta and ideas!

Chapter Text

Prologue

 

“Special Agent Lee? Michelle Lee?” Tony looked at McGee in confusion. The younger agent looked just as confused as DiNozzo did.

 

“McGee?” Tony hissed. “She’s in Legal now.” Of course McGee knew that. Tony didn’t know why he’d said that. Maybe the surprise of someone wanting to the agent that had worked with them so briefly.

 

“Ohhh,” McGee said slowly, and Tony watched comprehension dawn on Probie’s face. Both men sat up a little taller as Gibbs returned from a coffee run. They were running cold cases today, waiting for a new case to arrive. In reality, he and McGee were goofing off; Ziva was on a long lunch break.

 

“Yes, Ma’am. Please hold and I’ll get him for you.” McGee sighed and gave Tony a significant look that Tony didn’t quite comprehend.

 

“Boss?” McGee began tentatively. “Someone on the phone for you. Looking for Agent Lee Gibbs.”

 

Tony frowned as the blood drained out of Gibbs’ face. He rarely reacted like this to anyone or any news. Tony started to get up but froze halfway to his feet and sank back down. He and Gibbs never brought their relationship into the office and Gibbs wouldn’t appreciate him being all concerned and protective. In public, anyhow.

 

“Want one of us to take it, Boss?” Tony asked instead of approaching, though he wanted to be over there, studying Gibbs’ eyes for answers.

 

“No,” Gibbs said quietly, rubbing his eyes and the bridge of his nose. “Man or woman, McGee?”

 

McGee shot a concerned look to Tony, who shrugged. “Woman, Boss. She sounded a little stressed.”

 

Gibbs let out a slow breath and nodded.

 

“Gibbs. Yeah…what? Why did you call me…Emergency?” He sighed loud enough for Tony to hear him. “Yeah, I’ll be there. I’ll find a way.” He hung up his phone and stared at his desk for a second before he stood, grabbing his coat. Tony and McGee stood as well but Gibbs gestured them back into their chairs.

 

“Not work related,” he said, shooting Tony a brief look. “Taking the afternoon off, call me if you need me.”

 

Tony stood, following Gibbs and slipped into the elevator with him, closing the door on McGee. He flipped the emergency stop switch and turned to Gibbs. “What was that about? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

 

“Can’t discuss it, Tony. It’ll be okay though.” Tony thought he heard Gibbs say ‘It has to be’.

 

Tony peered into Gibbs’ face. “I’ve never heard anyone call you ‘Lee’ before. What is it about? You sure you’re okay?”

 

Gibbs sighed, moving a little closer to Tony but not menacingly. It was almost as if he wanted comfort or support, but that was unlike Gibbs and unheard of in the office. “No. But I will be, Tony. This is…complicated.”

 

“Let me help then.”

 

Gibbs shook his head and Tony read true regret in his eyes. “Can’t, Tony. If I could, I would.” He patted Tony’s cheek gently. “Maybe when I get through this, I’ll call you in on it.”

 

“We okay?” Tony asked quietly.

 

Gibbs gave him a firm nod. “Nothing changed between you and me. Just…got some ghosts I have to put to rest. I’ll call.”

 

Tony nodded. He wanted to help but he had to respect Gibbs. “And I’ll text. You remember how to get the text messages, right?”

 

“Tony…” Gibbs moved into his personal space, but only placed a gentle hand on his chest, right over Tony’s heart. “I know you’re worried. So’m I, but not about me. I’ll call you in when and if I can. Meantime, keep an eye on the team.”

 

“This is more than an afternoon, isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah,” Gibbs said, sighing heavily. “I have some vacation time and I’ll handle things with Vance.” Tony met the older man’s eyes and read a lot of things that Gibbs didn’t dare say at work.

 

“Me too,” Tony replied quietly, riding the elevator until it reached the parking garage and Gibbs stepped out. He turned, flashing Tony a sign Tony knew meant that he cared. As Tony rode the elevator back up, he tried not to feel alone.