Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,019
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,013

Moving On

Summary:

Summary: Cordelia begins to move on after Xander. Post "Lover's Walk".

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Moving On
by Pirate Turner

 

 

No matter how hard I try
You keep pushing me aside
And I can't break through
There's no talking to you
It's so sad that you're leavin'
It takes time to believe it
But after all is said and done
You're gonna be the lonely one

He sighed and tried again. "Cordy, I know you're in there, and I know you can hear me. I screwed up. Big time, I know. I admit it. I'm sorry." When still she did not respond, he ran his hands through his hair with a helpless look on his face. "What do you want from me?" he asked pleadingly. "I can't undo what was done. Not that anything was done. I know we almost did it, but it was the end of the world, I wasn't in my right mind, I . . . I . . . God, I'm so sorry, Cordelia. Please, look at me." His hand reached out for her face.

She jerked away, but finally, for the first time since coming across him with another woman after seeking so desperately to rescue him, she looked at him. There was no love in her eyes, only excruciating pain, fury, and hatred. "You've already said all that you need to say, Xander. Words don't matter a hill of beans. Your actions spoke louder than anything else ever could have." Her eyes flashed as she continued, "You may think I'm stupid, Xander, but I'm not." She paused a moment, in thought, then corrected herself, "Well, I was. I was an idiot when I let you in. Now get lost."

Do you believe in life after love?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough now
Do you believe in life after love?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough now

Once more, she turned away from him with an exhausted sigh, facing the white wall that had burned itself forever into her memory. Her eyes closed against the pain that seared in her side. As if being cheated on by the world's biggest loser wasn't enough, she had also had to go and get a stake plunged straight through her back -- literally. Just how big of an idiot was she?!

"Cordy, please listen to me. I know you're angry. I don't blame you. What can I do to make it up to you? I'll do anything," Xander pleaded.

Without turning to look at him, she responded, her voice colder than ice, "Obviously not. What do I have to do to get it through to you, Xander? If Oz and I had not walked in when we had, you would have screwed Willow. Well, now you're free to do whatever you want. Screw Willow. Screw Buffy. Hell, you can even screw Drusilla if you want. I don't care. Just leave me the Hell alone."

"You don't mean that . . . "

What am I supposed to do
Sit around and wait for you
Well I can't do that
And there's no turnin' back
I need time to move on
I need love to feel strong
'Cos I've had time to think it through
'N' maybe I'm too good for you

"Xander, you had your chance. You had the best girl in California. You screwed up. There's no turning back. Now leave," she growled out. She refused the urge to cry. Why wouldn't he just leave her be?!

"But, Cordy . . . "

Suddenly, from a window that should not have even been open, a voice sounded. "You heard the lady. Leave her be, Harris. Get out of here."

Two pairs of eyes turned to see the Vampire perched on the windowsill. "What the Hell are you doing here, Dead Boy?"

"That's none of your concern."

"Well, this situation is none of your concern either," Xander retorted, "so stick your dead nose out of it."

Angel leapt from the window and sailed through the room, landing smoothly right before Xander. "I'm making it my concern. Cordelia doesn't want to be bothered by the likes of you. You will leave her alone."

Xander glared at him as Cordelia looked on with puzzled intrigue. Why was Angel sticking up for her?

"What if I don't leave?" Xander questioned though his legs trembled.

"Then I'll make you," Angel growled out, and for a brief moment, Xander was left to wonder if Angelus was back. Angel inched closer, flashing his deadly fangs in warning, and Xander beat a hasty retreat.

Oh, do you believe in life after love?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough now
Do you believe in life after love?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough now

Angel cleared his throat as he straightened himself and turned to Cordelia, deep concern written in his bewitching eyes. "How are you?"

"Oh, I'm fine, obviously," Cordelia retorted sarcastically. "My loser boyfriend cheats on me with a nerd; then I get a stake rammed physically through my back; and then he keeps bugging me every single time I open my eyes. How could I possibly be anything but fine?" She smiled weakly up at him, her hazel eyes lighting up for the first time in weeks. "Thank you, Angel."

He smiled, and she couldn't help the thought of how cute he was. Cuter than any other guy she'd ever seen, that was for sure. "Any time," Angel answered, his voice soft. His fingers twitched; he wanted to reach out and touch her but didn't dare. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Busy much?" she asked to which he shook his head in the negative. "Well, I know it's kinda boring, but I could use some good company for a change." He chuckled and took the seat beside her, silently inching it closer when she wasn't looking.

Well, I know that I'll get through this
'Cos I know that I am strong
I don't need you anymore
I don't need you anymore
No I don't need you anymore
I don't need you anymore

 

 

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.