Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
531
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,238

A Reminder

Summary:

Series: Deleted Scenes 2003-04 season. Inspired by the ep "Patient Zero"
Disclaimer: These guys don't belong to me. I'm not making any money off them.
any feedback is appreciated

Work Text:

A Reminder
by Python

 

Jack was still in shock over what Elaine Blanchard had done. She'd lied on the stand to protect her scumbag husband, who infected twelve people with the SARS virus starting with his lover. His lover had dumped him and he infected her with SARS. Then, the virus spread. All of the victims survived except his lover's and his four year old son.

Jack wished that he could wipe the smug look off Elaine Blanchard's face.

She knew what she was doing all along. All of her lies confused the jury.

Mr. Blanchard was found not guilty and the two walked out of the courtroom hand in hand.

Jack stood in his office, staring out at the lights of New York City.

There was a knock at the door and he immediately knew it was Lennie. He didn't bother to turn around.

"Hey," Lennie greeted softly.

Jack sighed. "Hey."

Lennie walked up behind Jack, put his arms around Jack's waist, and rested his chin on Jack's shoulder. "Serena told me what happened in the Blanchard case today."

"It's a mess."

"I know."

"You know what Mrs. Blanchard said that's really sticking out in my mind?"

Lennie gave Jack a squeeze. "What?"

"That Americans are more likely to believe that a woman will lie to punish a cheating spouse instead of lying to protect him."

"Personally, I wouldn't endorse either option," Lennie said half-seriously, trying to lighten the mood.

Jack shook his head. "And she was so cold when she said it. I can't figure her out. Her husband cheats on her for four years, has a child with his lover, injects the lover with SARS, and is responsible for the death of his four year old son."

Lennie shrugged. "I wish that I had an explanation for you, Jack."

Jack turned around with Lennie's arms still around his waist. "Blanchard caused the first outbreak of SARS in New York City and I couldn't convict him."

"You did your best, Jack. There's no way that you could have predicted what Mrs. Blanchard was going to do."

Jack ran a hand through his hair. "I know." He hugged Lennie tightly and rested his head on Lennie's shoulder.

Lennie rubbed Jack's back. "Even you can't win 'em all."

"I can try."

"And that's just what you did. You tried."

Jack pulled away and smiled. "Whenever I lose, you have to do this."

Lennie's eyebrow rose. "What?"

"Remind me that I'm human."

"And entitled to some mistakes." Lennie grabbed Jack's hand and began leading Jack towards the door. "You've really got to cut yourself some slack sometimes, Jack."

"I just don't want to get complacent."

Lennie laughed and pulled Jack out into the hall with him. "I don't see that happening."

Jack pulled his office door shut with his free hand. He grinned deviously at his lover. "I need something to take my mind off this. Do you have any suggestions?"

Lennie pretended to think it over before grinning back. "I have a few ideas."

 

The End