Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,266
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,151

Crying Eyes

Summary:

Gil tries to make amends for a broken promise.

Work Text:

Gil sighed. He was being unfair. He knew it. Warrick knew it. Erica knew it.

And neither his partner, nor their child, were being subtle about their displeasure with his attitude.

Erica was up stairs in her room, door closed, as she did whatever it was eight-year-old girls did when their father made them angry.

Warrick was down the hall, in his studio, playing the piano. No doubt, attempting to steady his own emotions, before taking on the task of dealing with their precocious eight-year-old.

And here he sat, in the kitchen, wishing he could take back the last half-hour.

At the risk of losing face, even if it was to his own daughter, Gil did what he knew was only fair.

Walking up the stairs to his daughter’s bedroom, Gil tapped lightly on the closed door, grimacing at the sign emblazoned on the door “Papa Not Allowed!”

Oh yeah, she as pretty upset. The ink was barely dry on the angry red lettering of the sign.

“Erica, Angel, can I come in please?”

Gil waited for an answer, but he didn't hear one. Sighing, he rubbed his eyes. She could be just like Warrick when she set her mind to it. Stubborn, unmovable, and silent.

Realizing that he was going to have this conversation with a door between him and his daughter, Gil continued on.

“Erica, I'm sorry. I know that I promised. I told you that as long as you did your chores without complaint for one month, got straight A's on your next report card, and minded your manners, that it was okay. And then I took it back. I'm sorry. I was wrong. Can you forgive me?”

Gil waited with baited breath, almost shouting to the heavens when he heard the sound of the door being opened, if only slightly. At any moment he could've walked in, as there were no lock on his daughter’s door. But if he had, considering the way she felt about him at the moment, it would've been a major breach of trust. So, the door being opened for him was as close to an engraved invitation as he was going to get.

Walking into the room, Gil's heart broke at the dejected picture before him.

Erica sat on the bed, leaning up against her headboard, knees pulled to her chest. She refused to look at him, but he could see the trails of wetness on her face, indicating that she'd been crying.

“Oh sweetheart, I'm so sorry.”

Sitting on the bed, Gil dared to reach out and wipe the tears from her face, relaxing slightly when she didn't pull away.

“You promised, Papa. I did everything you said, and you still told me no. All the girls at school are gonna think I'm a liar.” A miserable sniffle and then the tears came on again, tearing Gil's heart apart even more.

“No, Angel, they won't think you're a liar. You can have your sleepover.”

Wiping at her own tears, Erica looked at her father, hope shining in her eyes. “I can?”

“Yes.”

“You promise?”

“Yes, I promise.”

“Pinky promise?”

Gil smiled. There was no way he could back out now. His eight-year-old took pinky promises seriously. This was tantamount to signing in blood.

Linking his pinky with hers, Gil nodded, “Pinky promise.”

“Oh Papa! I love you. You're the best. I can't wait!”

Gil couldn't contain his joy either. Initially the idea of five girls staying overnight at his home had scared him shitless. Which had been the reason he'd told Erica no, even after his initial promise.

“I already know who I'm gonna invite. Susie, Lisa, Ashley M, Jamie, Lauren, Ashley J, Kelly, Katie, Christy, and-”

“Uh, I think five girls should be more than enough, Princess.”

“Five?! But Papa, I have to invite Susie, Lisa, Lauren, Kelly, and Katie. They're my best friends! And Ashley M and Ashley J have to come because they invited me to their slumber party. And if I don't invite Jamie and Christy, they'll think I don't wanna be their friends anymore!”

“Okay, okay. But no more. I think you've got more than enough friends to keep you busy for a night.”

“Okay, okay. I guess that’s enough. When can I have the sleepover?”

“Next weekend seems good. It'll give me enough time to go shopping for everything you all will need.” Buying the industrial strength Excedrin™ went without saying.

“Okay, well I'll make a list. That'll make it easier. Man, I can't wait to get to school tomorrow. It's gonna be great!”

“Well, then I guess it's time for you to get in the bathtub, huh? Sooner you get to sleep, the sooner tomorrow will come.”

“Okay!” Gil smiled as he watched his bundle of energy bounce off the bed to get her pajamas. Standing up, Gil walked out of the room. He'd made it halfway down the hall when Erica called after him. Turning towards her voice, Gil was almost knocked over as his eight-year-old barreled into him, hugging him tightly.

“Thank you so much Papa! You're the coolest! I love you!”

Smiling, ignoring the slight wetness accumulating in his eyes at the marvel of innocence and forgiveness that was attempting to squeeze the life out of him, Gil hugged his daughter back just as hard. “I love you too, Angel. Now hurry to take your bath. When you're done, I'll have Dad come read you a bedtime story.”

“Can you do it. I mean, the both of you. I like stories better when you both read them to me.”

“Sure. Now scoot!”

Erica skipped all the way back to her room.

Shaking his head, Gil turned and went back downstairs, in search of his lover.

Warrick met him just as he turned towards the studio.

“So, I hear I'm in competition for the title of coolest Dad?”

Running a finger down Warrick's cheek, Gil smiled as he looked up into the green eyes of the man he loved so much. “No competition. You're the coolest. Dad or husband. Take your pick. You're still the coolest.”

“Well, when you put it like that, I guess you're forgiven for almost breaking your promise.”

Leaning into the arms that wrapped around his waist, Gil sighed. “I wouldn't be so hasty about that.”

Nibbling on Gil's ear, Warrick blew hot breath across the wet area, smiling at Gil's shudder. “And why is that?”

“I told Erica she could have her slumber party.”

“Umm-hmm. I gathered that much from the squealing I heard upstairs.”

“Yeah, but did you didn't hear me agree to her having nine giggling girls over.”

“Nine?!”

“Sorry, but you know I couldn't resist her. Both you and Erica always get me with the puppy eyes. Plus, I'd already made her mad. I couldn't disappoint her again.”

“Well, I guess I can't blame you. I've fallen prey to those green wonders a time two or myself. Besides, I'm sure I can find someway for you to make it up to me.”

“I've already put Extra Strength Excedrin™ on my list. What more could you want?” Gil asked, eyes twinkling mischievously.

“Oh, I have some ideas.”

Warrick was about to share said ideas when Erica's shout interrupted him. “Papa, Daddy, I'm ready for my story.”

“Both of us?”

“She said she likes it best when read to her together.”

Gesturing towards the stairs, Warrick smiled, “Then by all means, lets not keep her waiting.”

Gil smiled as Warrick fall in to step behind him.

Tonight hadn't started off too great, but the ending was looking better with each passing moment.

END