Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
633
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,460

A Close Call

Summary:

Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom: The Sentinel
Genre (general, hetero or slash) General
Pairing/Characters: Blair Sandburg, Jim Ellison
Rating: FRT-13
Summary: Blair becomes a victim (big surprise there!)
Warnings: Angst, violence
Notes: Originally written for the LJ community, 100 situations, #31. Knife.  I do not own The Sentinel or any of the characters.  This was written for entertainment purposes only and no money was made from this endeavor.  Not beta'd, only spell-checked.  Feedback on or off list.

Work Text:

A Close Call
Debbie

As the knife was thrust into his midsection, Blair wondered why he didn't just give the robber his wallet.  Why he had to act like such an idiot was beyond him.  He knew Jim would kick his ass if he survived.  Blair dropped to the ground, feeling his blood running out of his body.

~~~

Jim sat in the waiting room.  The nurse had just been in to update him on how Blair's surgery was going.  There had been muscle damage, but luckily, no major organs had been damaged by the knife wound.  On the negative side, Blair had lost a lot of blood from the injury and the fact that it took several hours before he was found.

The good thing was that Blair's attacker had been caught when he tried to grab a woman's purse several blocks away from where Blair had been attacked.  When the attacker was arrested, he had Blair's wallet in his pocket.

Jim knew how it probably went down.  The guy had cornered Blair, demanding his money and Blair had resisted.  Blair would try to talk the guy out of committing the crime if he could.  However this time, talking didn't work.

The doctor walked into the room about an hour later.

"Mr. Sandburg is a very lucky young man.  We were able to stop the bleeding and repair most of the damage to the vessels.  He'll be receiving a blood transfusion for a while.  We'll place him in Intensive Care after he comes to in recovery.  It would probably be best if you wait until tomorrow to look in on him."

"Thank you, doctor.  I should go get some rest myself.  It's been a long wait."

~~~

Jim walked into the Intensive Care room where Blair was lying.  The young man was asleep.  Jim had gotten permission to sit by Blair's bedside, assured by the nurses that Blair should be waking shortly.

It was about an hour later when Blair started to show signs of consciousness.  His eyelids fluttered and finally his eyes opened. He looked over at Jim and closed his eyes again.

"Hey, buddy.  I've already noticed you're awake.  You'd be proud of me, Blair.  I actually went home after the doctor told me your surgery was over."

That got Blair's eyes open again.  "You really went home?  You didn't even care how I was?"

"They told me you were going to be moved to Intensive Care after you came to in recovery.  From experience, I know the last thing you want to do, is to entertain guests.  I thought I'd give you time to rest."

"So you can yell at me?"  Blair said it softly.

"I'm not going to yell at you, Chief.  You didn't do the smartest thing you could have, but you already know that.  I think you've paid a high enough price for what happened.  I don't want to add to your pain."

"Gee, you're a real pal, Jim.  Thank you.  As the guy plunged the knife into my stomach, the thought went through my mind that I should have just given up my money."

"A lesson learned.  By the way, the guy was caught.  He tried grabbing a woman's purse.  When the officers caught him, he had your wallet in his pocket."

"Good.  I was prepared to give a statement and a description.  I was hoping I survived to be able to do that."

"Well, there will be a period of recovery, but the doctor said no internal organs were damaged.  If you want to get more sleep, go ahead."

Blair looked at Jim for a few minutes, before his eyes slid closed and he drifted off to sleep.
 
Jim sent up a silent prayer, grateful his best friend was going to be okay.

 

end