Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 48 of Beyond Meridian
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
864
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,133

Midnight Makes A Maverick...

Summary:

This story is a continuation of the BEYOND MERIDIAN SERIES… Though written by BETHANY S. HEARD on 21.8.03, sometime after the last two alternate (alternate) reality SG1 stories, also part of the SERIES, this story is set before those two (‘episodes’)…

Work Text:


Midnight Makes A Maverick …
by Bethnay

“Arris Bok has been waiting a very long time to hear from us, sir…” Sam Carter looked to Col. O’Neill.

“She’s right, Colonel…” Hammond interjected. He looked at the two officers under his command, “You have my blessing…”

Sam broke the gaze, turning to look, perplexed, or so she pretended, at the General…

Hammond reiterated himself. “You have a ‘Go’”

“Right you are, sir… I mean, if ever there was such a thing, this is it, isn’t it??” He looked at Sam. “… This is the simple mission, isn’t it..?” He’d looked away by then, to his Commanding Officer.

“This could be the break you’ve been dreaming of, Jack…” Hammond stated.

“And,” Sam grinned. “I’ll finally go fishing with you..!”

“It’ll be good to shirk this shirt off my back…” Jack rolled his shoulders, indicating his constraint.

 

“How does it feel..??” Daniel smiled knowingly.

“What could he possibly be going on about..!??” Jack turned to Teal’c.

“Retirement, O’Neill…” Answered T.

“ I am NOT retired, yet…” Jack cuffed Daniel around the ear.

“…And, even when he is, we won’t be getting rid of him that easily..!” Jonas stood up to the Colonel, his friend…

“I always suspected he was smarter than you!” Jack jabbed a finger at Daniel.

“You certainly aren’t…” Daniel just grinned.

 

Arris walked to the Stargate… He squeezed her hand. Maeve. His new wife… Now, with the earlier communication from his captives turned friends, the SGC team from Earth, he knew that the world would soon be a far better place for Maeve… And, for himself…

“Ready..??” Sam asked O’Neill. She stood at the top of the Gate, waiting for him, before she travelled to Arris Bok’s home-world…

“Oohh,” Jack exaggerated, “you’re boss now, are ya..?” He stepped up to meet her at the top of the ramp. They stood before one another.

“Better get used to it, hadn’t ya??” Sam’s eyes glinted. She shoved him through the Gate.

“Well, hello..!!” Arris greeted them.

“Whose this then, old chum..???” Jack shook the hand of the woman whose name he did not know.

“I’m his wife..!” She answered, nodding to Arris. She smiled at Jack kindly.

“You have my sympathies, Ma’am…” Jack teased.

“Congratulations to you both…” Carter genuinely stated.

“Thank you…” Maeve smiled back.

She and Sam walked ahead, talking.

“You go on ahead, Carter..!” Jack called after her…

“Those two can look after themselves…” Bok reassured, as he walked beside Jack…

“Except when you Zat them…” Jack looked onward, protectively…

“… My lady can’t be ‘zatted’, remember..?” Arris smiled, looking to his wife just the same.

 

“Now, this is how you do it..!” She guided him.

"Carter, don’t hurt yourself!” Jack chided.

“I’m alright, I swear…” Sam called back from her perch. “This has gotta make it in here somehow… Be gentle with me!”

“If only someone could hear us..!” Jack noted, in his usual style.

“Move me closer, and we can get this in quicker..!” Sam shouted above the movement.

“That’s it, girl..! You’ve done it!” Jack celebrated, but still held on tight.

“I take it it’s over now..!?” She looked into his eyes hopefully…

“Yep, that’s it…” He looked weary from the effort.

“The winching system’s in place..!” Maeve looked to the sky, impressed.

“As it began, so will end the reign of the Goa’uld, for all my people..! Arris turned to the crowd, and threw up his hands in celebration!

Everyone cheered.

Sam and Jack wiped away the sweat…

Celebrating the delivery system of their health’s salvation took Bok’s people long into the coming night.

 

“Thank you, the two of you, for bringing the cure to my people…” Arris walked Carter and O’Neill to their cabin, for one more glorious night.

“It took a good few years…” Jack replied.

Sam gave him a reproaching look… “But Frasier and I figured it all out, in the end…” She looked to Bok. “Why don’t you go, get back to your wife..?” She patted Arris on the shoulder companionably.

“Share in your new-found freedom…” Jack suggested.

“It won’t be long, and we’ll be free of that addictive substance forever??” Arris looked to Sam. “We’ve just gotta take it easy..?”

“That’s right..!” Sam smiled happily. “ Just keep drinking, and, when we’ve gone home, Doctor Janet Frasier will be making some house-calls to keep an eye on you all…Unfortunately, she’s on another Mission at this very moment…”

“I like a woman in a Doctor’s uniform, don’t you, O’Neill..??” Arris laughed, not too chauvinistically…

“I prefer blondes…” Jack said, almost shyly.

“Don’t tell my wife I said that, will you..!?” Arris began to walk back toward his home, grinning cheekily.

“It’s our little secret..!” Sam called after him.

“Good night..!” Jack wished him.

He saluted them both, turned his back, and walked home to his wife…

 

“Are you looking forward to it, sir..?” Sam asked.

“To you not calling me ‘sir’ every five minutes..?” Jack paused. “… Nah, I like that..!!”

Sam slapped him across his knees.

He moved to the side of his makeshift seat, momentarily, to escape more of her wrath… He moved back into place. “Only difference is, Hammond’s put me in charge of another Division…”

“And I’m taking your place..!” Sam said, hungrily.

“I’ll still be around..!” Jack smiled at her enthusiasm.

“… I wouldn’t want you anywhere else…” Sam looked at him earnestly.

“… Is that right??” He sat forward.

“Not strictly, no..!” She laughed with him.

He put down his fishing rod for her. “Get strict with me then, Major…”

THE END …

Series this work belongs to: