Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 38 of Beyond Meridian
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,119
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,200

Chevrons Festively Frozen…

Summary:

Episode 37 of the BEYOND MERIDIAN SERIES by BETHANY S. HEARD, written on: 12.12.02

Work Text:

            
Chevrons Festively Frozen…
by Bethany

Katherine Littlefield waved them all goodbye… She shut the door, shivering. “Why is it it’s always snowing when they come for dinner?”

“I’m sure they don’t mind…” Ernest assured her. “They could’ve stayed overnight, they know that… But they have other plans, Katherine.”

“I hope their journey is ok…” Katherine noted.

“Daniel promised he’d ring us when they all got to Minnesota… Don’t worry!” He said kindly, squeezing her hand gently.

 

Daniel helped Jack, Jonas, and Teal’c heave the cases inside, where the warmth of a homely hearth awaited them…

“Where are the ladies?” Jack looked over his shoulder…

Daniel suppressed a grin and a cheeky comment. “Sam was the one who got this impressive fire,” He paused, pointing at it, “ready for you..!”

Sam walked by at that moment.

“How’d ya do that so soon???” Jack pointed at the fire, and asked her.

“I nicked the Goa’uld hand device from the safe…” She informed him.

He stared at her.

Daniel and even Teal’c fell about with laughter…

“Very funny..!” Jack grimaced at Sam. “Now I know why your Dad didn’t want you for Christmas…”

“He’s busy!” She defended in good humour. “Besides, I was lucky enough to get him and Mark together for Thanksgiving..!”

“Are you sure your brothers won’t mind us using this cabin at this time of year, Jack?” Janet Frasier came in, carrying a tin of chocolate biscuits she’d bought from that little shop on the way.

“I put in my share for this place, too, y’know!” Jack said, sarcastically, but not unkindly. “I haven’t been down here at this time of year since… Well… I figured it was my turn, since everyone else in my family’s spending Christmas with the in-laws this year… Lucky them..!”

“What about your Mom?” Sam enquired.

“She’s gone to Paris, would ya believe?” Jack replied.

“Really?” Teal’c asked.

“You’d like it there, lots of undulating mattresses…” Jack said dryly. Then, he continued. “Yep, that’s where Mom’s gone, with my Auntie Marcy…”

 

Cassie asked Jack “You didn’t bring your fishing gear, did you?”

“Sure did… Thought I’d catch us all the best fish you’ve ever tasted tomorrow, barbecue it all up..!” Jack’s eyes gleamed with anticipation for his plan and his catch.

“It is WAY too cold to sit out there!!!” Sam hugged her large jumper closer to her skin. “Even around a barbecue…”

“We’re gonna need that snakehead device of yours!” Jack leant over and play punched her on the shoulder. He moved the chess piece and sipped his brandy, not sure he should have it, but too damned cold to care, as he sat on the floor, opposite Cassie and Sam, who was helping Cassie plot his downfall…

“Hasn’t your Dad gone on a fishing trip with your Uncle, Fred?” Sam suddenly remembered. “Why didn’t you go off with the two of them???”

“Thought it was about time I came back here…” Jack admitted. “Besides, I couldn’t leave you all alone at Christmas time…”

Cassie smiled, knowingly. Jack and Sam registered the fact that she was there, and sat up a little straighter…

“Dad’s not back til after New Year… And we’re on duty New Year’s Eve, remember?” Jack continued.

“Kawalsky better be taking good care of the SGC…” Sam remarked lightly.

“He will be…” Jack grinned. “He knows that skiing trip with Hana depends on it..!”

“Hana’s that woman that works in that Sushi bar you two went to, right?” Sam smiled.

“Uhu…” Jack grinned again.

“You didn’t go for the Sushi, did you?” Sam laughed.

“Kawalsky obviously didn’t… He went straight for Hana..!” Jack remembered Cassie’s presence again.

“I was just thinkin’ how Sushi might be what we end up with tomorrow..!” Cassie remarked.

The three of them laughed.

 

“This place is gorgeous!” Sarah said to Daniel, as they hung the Christmas decorations in the hallway together.

“Better than that hut of his, yeah!” Daniel laughed gently.

“You mean the fishing place in Colorado Springs?” Sarah furthered.

“To Jack, it’s worth more than all the treasure in Tutankhamun’s tomb put together…” Daniel smiled knowingly.

“But not to everyone else?” She grinned.

“Well, we love it because he loves it so much, but, essentially, you got that just about right…” Daniel admitted cheerfully.

“What d’ya think it’d take to see this hallowed place?” Sarah ventured.

“You actually want to go fishing with Jack O’Neill???” Daniel had to smile.

“Well, if he thinks there are treasures at the bottom of that lake more precious than King Tut’s riches, any self-respecting Archaeologist surely should take a look..?!” She handed Daniel a box of fairy lights.

“Maybe that’s why I don’t get down there often..!” Daniel laughed.

 

George Hammond put down the phone.

“How are they, Dad?” His daughter enquired after his friends.

“Enjoying themselves… Jack’s just barbecuing them some fish!” He told her.

“In this weather???” She pulled a perplexed face. “Can you come carve the turkey now, please?”

“Dinner’s ready then?” George asked eagerly.

 

“Did they have anything like Christmas on your planet, Jonas?” Cassie asked him, as they both carried the plates of fish onto the table indoors, with the rest of the Christmas Day spread.

“Some people celebrate something similar, but not many of my people knew how to throw a party like this!” He grinned. “I’m glad I came to live here..!”

“And we’re glad, too…” Janet snapped a photo of Jonas and her daughter together, knowing that this would please Cassie no end. “Now, come on over by the fire… I think the SGC’s finest should all get their picture taken!” She shooed Bijou, the dog, along, so as not to trip over him.

“C’mon over here, Jonas… You’re not added to The Official SGC Festive Photo Album yet..!” Jack beckoned him over.

“There is such a thing???” He asked no one in particular.

“Ooh, yeah..!” Sam laughed.

“Yeah, sure, yabetcha!” Jack welcomed him into the fold, who had gathered to have a photo taken together.

“We should also take some photographs of the other people in this room…” Teal’c said, preparing himself for the photo-moment.

“It’s OK, T, it’ll all be over soon..!” Jack teased him, knowing that, surprisingly, Teal’c was camera shy.

Jonas opened his Christmas gift joyously. “Thanks, guys..!” He said happily, as his sparkling eyes fell upon his gift, a CD of Christmas tunes.

“We thought we’d try and get you kitted out with some of the Christmas-time essentials!” Janet Frasier smiled.

“How’s your first Christmas been?” Sarah asked Quinn.

“The best ever!!!” Jonas was already rushing over to the CD Player.

Everyone burst out laughing.

“What???” He turned back.

“It’s alright..!” Jack grinned. “We just thought we’d seen the pinnacle of the Tiny Tim performance after ya found that candy in ya stockin’…”

“Tiny Tim???” Jonas looked confused.

“Open the next gift…” Daniel suggested.

Jack flicked at the bell on Jonas’ Santa hat, his contribution to Quinn’s gift-pool.

It matched the Christmas stocking Jonas was eagerly emptying.

Jack smiled, wishing normal life brought everybody as close together as Christmas did. He had enjoyed his Christmas shopping trip with Sam last weekend…

 

THE END…

Series this work belongs to: