Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
643
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,215

Human's Hope

Summary:

A small Missing Scene at the end of Episode 416 – Wilson’s Heart, between Chase and House.

Work Text:

 Wilson walked away, the pain too raw to be dealt with in that moment.

Closing his eyes, House felt a hole in his heart and didn't like it. He was not used to emotional pain. There was no amount of Vicodin that could numb it. He would deal with all the grieving like he did everything else - with sarcasm and mockering words, trying to ignore the pain and how much his best friend was hurting.

He could hear Cuddy soft breathing, still asleep by his side, curled up in that uncomfortable couch.

**

On his way out to meet Cameron and Foreman, Chase watched Wilson walk away from House's room and sighed. He barely knew Amber but he liked Wilson. It disturbed him how much suffering he could see in Wilson's eyes. Approaching the glassed room, the young doctor saw House and Cuddy sleeping in the dim light. A twitch from the bed told him maybe House was awake.

**

The old doctor could feel a change in the room. There was a pleasant smell of rain filling it. He knew that smell, and secretly he loved it.

Opening his eyes, House saw his ex-duckling watching him from the entrance, his face almost blank.

Except his eyes. They were glistening with sorrow and pain; a kind of pain House knew that was very familiar to the Australian. He wished he had the strength to mock him and his ridiculously perfect hair, or his perfect eyes and perfect lips.

Chase's blue-greenish eyes moved to hover over Cuddy.

"There are days I'm not able to believe in God, in the goodness between humans," he whispered, breaking the silence with a soft voice, his accent thicker in the still of the room. "There are days it seems all we have is pain, suffering, death...loss. But then..." he paused, looking at House, "I'm remembered of you!"

Blue eyes momentarily stunned, House found the will to roll them with feigning exasperation. "I'm touched," he whispered, in spite of the curiosity Chase's words roused.

The young surgeon carried on ignoring House, looking him in the eyes. "Brash, selfish, arrogant, smart, annoying, childish, petulant, insensitive..." he said, while stepped into the room nearing the bed.

"You fail to make your point." House was disturbed by the feelings Chases' words were causing inside him. A tiny bit of House felt disappointed with himself, knowing he was all that to Chase.

A small sad smile blossomed on the blonde's lips. "Isn't it amazing that someone like you is loved so much by others?" There was a bit of awed in his bright eyes. "How wonderful is the human heart, that still manage to make people stand by your side whenever you need them!"

His heart beating faster, House was mesmerized by the young man, bathed in the soft light almost looking like an angel in his deathbed. A soft skilled hand caressed the roughed face. "That is my point." Leaning in a bit, perfect lips kissed the older man's forehead sweetly. "Get well, Gregory House."

For a while, House could only stare at the retreating doctor, too amazed to think. Then, closing his eyes, he touched his forehead, a lingering pressure still tingling in his skin.

Robert Chase, the one that was his pupil for longer time, the one he used to dump his bad humour on, the one that hugged him when he thought House was dying. The one that kissed his forehead like a blessing and somehow managed to make his heart lighter.

He had to agree with the young doctor. He was loved by the most incredible people. That was an amazing thing indeed. And he could not deny that he loved them back in his own particular way. Especially the younger one, whom he tried so hard to keep away from.

And that was a miracle in House's heart.

 

End