Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Out
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
428
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
3,011

Out

Summary:

Category: Gen
Fandom: M7 (Ezracentric)
Warning: ATF AU. Angst. Team Betrayal.
Author's Notes: I am writing repercussion stories today.

Work Text:

Out
by Jaye Daver (Jayed)

 

So, once again, seven proved a difficult number. And, once again, he proved to the be the odd man out.  Just once, it would have been nice to not be the one who had to watch his own back, to not be the one who had to find his own way out, to not be the one who didn’t have an ally within the larger group. Just once it would be nice to not be blamed for things beyond his control, for not watching the backs of the other six simultaneously, even while no one was watching his.

But it would also have been nice to have gotten that pony when he was six, for his mother to have refused to leave him that summer with his Uncle Jack, and for his superiors in Atlanta to have actually listened to what he had to say in his own defense. As loathe as he was to admit it, it was time to move on again, time to cut his losses before they became unbearable. It was probably also time to get out of law enforcement before he … died.

He lay, half on the ground, half against the brick wall he had bounced off when Larabee had punched him with all the fury of a man who had seen one of his, clearly, more important agents take a bullet to the arm. Despite the fact that Larabee himself had been partnered with Vin when he was hit, it was Ezra who had somehow been deemed to be at fault for not stopping the bullet that went through the fleshy part of Vin’s upper arm. None of the others so much as leaned down to assist him to his feet. None of them stopped to see if Larabee’s punch had caused him any harm, despite seeing that it had been delivered full force. And none of them stopped to see if he, too, had taken a bullet.

So, it fell to Denver PD and EMS to finally find him still lying there, like a broken doll, fading in and out of consciousness as concussion and blood loss argued over which would finally knock him out.  Fifteen minutes after his “team” had disappeared to follow Vin to the hospital, Ezra was finally transported in a second ambulance.

But someone had seen it all. Someone had called 911 and gotten that ambulance sent out. And his film was a sensation, first at the local station for which he worked, then nationally on all the major networks, and, finally, at the Denver ATF Headquarters.

 

end

Series this work belongs to: