Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 9 of The Case of the Wounded Head series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
295
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
893

The Unexpected Counter-Measure

Summary:

Characters: Don, Charlie/Colby, Nena
Rating: FRK, PG
Summary:  Don is unsuspecting.
Series: The Case of the Severed Head
Word Count: 300
Disclaimer: Not my characters (except when they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my betas, dani and munchkin.

Work Text:


 

The Unexpected Counter-Measure
By Irena Adler


 
"Did Nena enjoy the batting cages?" Colby asked.
 
Don, Colby, and Charlie were sitting on the porch after dinner, hoping for a breeze to break up the stifling evening.
 
Don swallowed some beer. His stomach was still debating Colby's tuna casserole. Everything Colby cooked seemed to be a casserole or contain Cream of Mushroom Soup – or both. I guess you cook what you were raised on. However, Don wasn't about to turn down free food when Will was out of town.
 
"Yeah," he answered at last. "Especially when she started regularly hitting."
 
Charlie asked, "Did you do some hitting, too?"
 
"Yep, I think she enjoyed watching."
 
"I always did," Charlie replied. "Dad would have to drag me away."
 
 "By the way," Colby asked. "Where is Alan?"
 
Charlie said, "He went to the library."
 
"The library?" Don scoffed.
 
"Probably sneaking off to see some woman." Charlie chuckled. "So we won't quiz him about it."
 
"He gets to quiz us! Or did, at least."
 
"Now, he just—"
 
"Surprise!" Nena yelled and Don turned just in time to see a red water balloon sailing through the air. It landed with a sploosh across his chest and he teetered backwards.
 
"Hey!" Don complained. He looked at Colby and Charlie for aid but they were just laughing.
 
Don jumped out of his chair. "I'll get you!"
 
Shrieking, Nena ran back into the house. Don raced after her, then came to a stop in the kitchen. One counter was filled with ready water balloons. Alan's `disappearance' suddenly made sense.
 
Nena peered back around the kitchen door and Don made a `time-out' sign. Picking up two balloons, he gestured back towards the porch. Nena grinned and nodded and picked up two more balloons herself.
 
With a double whoop, Nena and Don burst out the back door.


END