Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,875
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,016

Tonight We Dance

Summary:

Website: None
Permission to Archive:  Yes, please.
Fandom(s)  The Sentinel
Genre:  Slash
Pairing:  J/B
Summary:  Will Jim get what he wants?  Maybe, Maybe not.
Warnings: Language

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Tonight We Dance
by: Peggy R.

 

 

"Blair...?"

"JIM!"  The young man lowered his voice,  "Please, don't push me, man.  I told you I'd let you know when I'd made my decision."

Jim had told his best friend and guide that he, James Joseph Ellison, Sentinel to the city of Cascade, Detective in Major Crime at the Cascade PD and best friend to one Blair Jacob
Sandburg, loved him.  Was, as a matter of fact, in love with him.  That was a month ago.

"But... I love you.  You've had a whole month to think, Chief. Either you love me or you don't.  It's that simple."  Jim was starting to get irritated.

"No, Jim.  It's not that simple, ok?  Man, look, we've both got alot to think about. Your job, first and foremost.  You know how they treat gay cops, big guy.  Ok, yes, things have changed, laws have changed but... man I don't know."

"Do you love me Chief?"  Jim asked softly.

"Yes, I do.  You know that, or at least you should.  But, taking our relationship that one last step is scary as hell Jim.  You're my best friend, Sentinel abilities not with-standing.  If it didn't work out I'd loose you, completely.  I don't know if I could stand that, ya know?"  The last having been said so softly that Jim almost missed it.

Jim was really starting to get frustrated now, running his hand through his short cropped hair and letting out a long silent sigh.

"So whadda you wanna do here Chief?  You just want to, maybe forget I said anything?"

"Yes... NO!  Shit, I don't know.  Fuck Jim, I'm so confused right now.  I just... I just need time.  Jim, please don't get mad, but maybe... maybe we just need time away from each other.  I've already spoke to Simon, and he's gonna let me stay with him for awhile."

"WHAT?!"  Jim exclaimed.

"You're pissed."  It wasn't a question.

"You're damned right I'm pissed.  You're gonna leave me, because you can't make a simple decision?"  Jim responded angrily.

"No, I'm not leaving you Jim.  I just think that maybe being away from you for a few days, I can clear my head and think straight.  Jim, I LOVE you man.  Please, just give me a few days, ok?"

"A few days?  How many's a few?"

"I don't know, Jim.  Two, three, four at the most.  I won't be coming into the PD either.  I've already spoken to Simon about that too.  I've taken a week off, a few days to think, then a few days to adjust to which ever way we go from there." Blair picked up his ever present backpack and headed toward the door.

"Blair?"  Jim called softly.

Blair stopped and turned around.  He looked at his sentinel, he looked so sad.

"Please, come back to me.  Either way, please come back."

"I will, Jim.  Either way, I'll come back."  Then he was gone.

 

~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~

 

Simon walked into his home, tired and exhausted from his long day.  Having had to deal with the demands of being Captain of Major Crime and one surlly and depressed sentinel.  Looking at the dejected young man sitting on his couch, Blair wasn't fairing much better.

"Blair, I know you're trying to make a decision here.  I don't really mean to intrude, but you both look like hell.  Jim's barely speaking to anyone, and when he does it's yeah, no or maybe.  Look, I know what you're trying to decide."

"No, Simon.  I don't think you do."  Blair replied.

"No?  Let's see, you and Jim have been partners for, what, a year now?  Have lived together for three.  In that time, I've seen your friendship grow.  When one gets hurt, the other is there constantly until released.  If one has a problem, the other tries to figure out a solution.  You two are more married them most married couples."

Blair's head snapped up and looked at his captain, mouth hanging open and eyes wide.

"Hey, I didn't make it to captain without being a detective first. I know how you two feel about each other.  I think everybody in the department knows.  We're all fine with that.  As a matter of
fact, we all thought you guys  were already a couple and just had a bad fight, which was why you're here.  Jim asked Rafe, Joel, H, Connor and myself to come into my office, he wanted to talk to us."

"He... he did?"  Blair asked softly.

"Yeah, he did.  He wanted to apolagize for being so surly.  He explained that he had told you that he loved you and wanted the both of you to be a couple.  He also told us about you being worried about HIS job, not yours but his.  He also said he hoped that by letting us know that he was gay, we'd stil be his friends."

"He said all that?  Really?  And... and how do you guys feel about that?  I... I mean about us being gay."  Blair asked hesitantly.

"Are you gay, Sandburg?"  Simon asked.

"Yeah."

"Then what's the problem?  All your friends are ok with it, your job is safe, with the new laws finally in place.  You guys have never openly shown a great deal of affection to each other at the PD and what you do in your own home is your own business, no one else's."  Simon stated, hoping that the young man would make the right decision.

"You're right, Simon.  I don't know what's held me back for so long.  Poor Jim, he thinks I'm gonna leave him.  I'm not, I love him.  More then I've ever loved anyone else.  He's my life." Blair whispered.

"Then tell him, Sandburg.  Tell him you love him, you've got the whole department behind you.  We're your friends, screw anybody else if they can't handle it!"  Simon growled.

"Right, do me a favor, will ya Simon?"  Blair asked

"Depends on what it is Sandburg.  Nothing goofy or completely off the wall, I have a rep to protect, being Captain and all that."

"No, nothing crazy or anything.  Just get Jim to come to Cabello's tonight, ok?" Blair asked as he grabbed his stuff and started to leave.

"Yeah, ok.  Ok if the whole gang is there?"  Simon asked.

"Sure, man.  Jim's probably gonna need some help getting up off the floor anyway, oh and Simon?"

"Yeah."

"You might have a really loud growl, but you really are a pussycat."

"Yeah, and if you ever tell anyone else, I'll have to kill you Sandburg.  Get out of here."  Simon laughed as he watched his young detective run out the door.

 

~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~

 

Simon and the gang were supposed to meet Blair at the club at 8:00, it was now 7:15.,They had decided to gang hussle Jim into going with them, if they just asked him to go, they knew he'd refuse.  Arriving at Jim's door, with Joel, Rafe, H and connor in,tow, Simon knocked.  'He didn't open the door before I knocked.' Simon thought to,himself, 'he must be really off his mark with the kid not here.'

 

~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~

Sitting on his couch, not exactly zoning, but not completely in the here and now, Jim,heard a knock at the door.  Rising slowly, he didn't really want to answer, but he,smelled the lingering odor of Simon's cigar.  Just as he opened the door, he realized the whole gang was with him.

"Hey Simon, what the hell?!"  was his response as his friends entered in a rush.

"Hurry up Jim, you gotta get ready.  We're all goin out tonight." Rafe replied,hurriedly.

"Uh... I don't think so, I'm not in the mood."  Jim turned and started to go back,to the couch.

"Nope, sorry.  That's not gonna wash this time.  Get your sorry ass up those stairs,,change your cloths and let's get going." Simon ordered gruffly

Jim stood there staring at his friends for a moment.  Faced with four of the toughest,detectives and his captain, well, what choice did he have.  Turning toward the stairs, Connor spoke up, "Need any help detective?"

"Not from you Connor, thank you very little."  Jim growled.  The gang chuckled behind,him.  Fifteen minutes later Jim returned, wearing tan dress pants and a light brown,sweater.  Four whistles and a 'very nice' came from the small crowd.

"Fuck you guys."  Jim shot back.

"One at a time or you want us all at once?"  Connor shot back straight faced.

Jim stood for a moment shocked, then Connor broke into laughter and Jim joined her,along with the rest of the gang.

"Thanks Connor, I needed that."

"No problem, mate. Anytime."  Conner replied to her friend. They didn't always get,along, but as a whole she really liked Ellison as a person.

"Ok gang, let's get this crowd moving."

"Where exactly are we going?" Jim asked his captain.

"Cabello's.  None of us have been there yet, so we decided to check it out."

With a nod of his head, Jim grabbed his leather jacket and they headed out.

 

~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~ ~O~

 

Blair was so nervous, waiting and wondering if the gang was going to be able to get Jim to come with them tonight.  Looking up, he shouldn't have worried.  He watched as,Simon, Jim and the rest of their friends came into the club and grabbed a table that was, surprisingly empty, right next to the dance floor. Jim never noticed the little reserved card in the middle.  One of the gang grabbed it quickly.  Blair watched as,they took their seats and ordered drinks.  Several minutes after their drinks arrived, Jim began to look around.  Taking a slow breath, a familer sent tickled
his nose.  'Blair'.  Blair was here?  He picked up on the familer heartbeat, slightly elivated, nervous.  Looking around he tried to find the love of his life, if he were here with  someone else, it would completely break his heart.

It was time.  Blair slowly made his way to the edge of the dance floor.  Blair looked across the floor and made eye contact with Jim. Dressed in slightly tight black pants and a black silk shirt, he brought a simple black hat up to his bowed head, slightly covering his face, he then stepped onto the dance floor. Wearing a wirelss mike so that his hands would be free, he softly spoke into it.

"Esta noche bailamos
De noite - da mi vida
Quedate conmigo

As the music started, Blair started to slowly swivel his hips suggestivly.  Jim was transfixed. As Blair started to sing, he pushed the hat onto his head

"Tonight we dance
I leave my life in your hands
We take the floor
Nothing is forbidden anymore

As he sang, Blair sexily danced his way over to the table, where his future sat.

Don't let the world in outside
Don't let a moment go by
Nothing can stop us tonight

He stopped right in front of Jim, their eyes locked and Blair sang right to him.

Bailamos - let the rhythm take you over bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - bailamos
Wanna live this night forever - bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - te quiero

Running his hand softly down the side of Jim's face, Blair continued.

Tonight I'm yours
We can make it happen I'm so sure
I won't let it go
There is something I think you should know

Jim raised his hand and covered Blairs, holding it there.

I won't be leaving your side
We're going to dance through the night
I want to reach for the stars.

Blair pulled his hand away, slowly backing away, crooking his finger for Jim to follow. He did.

Bailamos - let the rhythm take you over bailamos

Jim stepped upto Blair, sealing their bodies together, they began a sensual slow dance as Blair continued to sing.

Te quiero amor mio - bailamos
Wanna live this night forever - bailamos
Tequiero amor mio - te quiero

Jim was so into the moment, when suddenly it hit him exactly what Blair was saying to him. He loved him, wanted to be with him.  This was his answer.  He closed his eyes and let the words that were being spoken to his heart and the sensual movements of his partner carry him away.

Tonight we dance
Like no tomorrow
If you will stay with me
Te quiero me amor

Quidate conmigo
Esta noche - bailamos

Bailamos - let the rhythm take you over bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - bailamos

Bailamos - let the rhythm take you over bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - bailamos
Wanna live this night forever - bailamos
Te quiero amor mio bailamos
Como te quiero
Como te quiero
Como te quiero

 

When the music ended, everyone was clapping and shouting, 'more, more', Blair looked around then back up at his soon to be lover. Jim was staring down at him with so much love in his eyes it almost made him cry.

"I love you, big guy."  Blair whispered, knowing that Jim would hear him. Forgetting, completely that he was still wearing the mike.

"I love you too, Chief."  Jim replied, the room exploded in cheers.  Jim's hearing was already down due to the loud music, but he had to tone it down further due to the cheers.  Their friends being the loudest.  Looking down and pulling away slightly, Jim would be hard (no pun intended) pressed to leave the dance floor without completely embarrassing himself.  Noticing their situations were the same, and having removed the mike, Blair leaned up and whispered to his lover, "Follow close behind me babe, they'll see me and not you."  With a tight nod, he complied.

Reaching their table, everybody started talking at once.  Finally realizing what was happening they all became quiet, waiting for someone to speak first, then they all burst out laughing because nobody did.

Finally, Connor spoke, "Damn mate, that was really something.  If you weren't already taken..."

"Thanks Megan, but I am soooo taken."  Blair smiled at Jim.

"For the rest of his life taken."  Jim responded, taking Blair's hand in his.

After several more drinks and friendly conversation, everybody decided to call it a night.  The gang knowing that the new couple probably wanted to get home as soon as possible.

In the truck on the way home, Jim looked over at his soon to be lover, "you were really great out there, I never knew you could sing, let along move like that.  Shit, Chief, you almost had me coming in my pants right there on the dance floor.  What made the decision for you?"

"Something Simon said."  Blair replied softly.

"What did he say?"

"That we were more married them most married couples.  It just kinda clicked, ya know.  He was right too, man.  When I looked back on our lives, we really are." Blair shyly looked at his sentinel.

"Yeah, I never really thought about it before, but you and he are right.  How about we get home and make it official?"

"I'm down with that man!"  Blair replied starting to bounce in his seat.

Jim reached across the seat and pulled his partner over close to his side, locking him there with his arm around his shoulder.

Life was about to get alot better and alot tougher.  Even though the laws had changed, they weren't changed enough. There would still be rough waters ahead, but with Blair by his side they could face any rapids and come out the victors.

 

~The End~

 

Bailamos: Barry/Taylor   With, hopefully right, translation.

Esta noche bailamos - (Tonight we dance)
De noite - da mi vida - (From night - gives my life)
Quedate conmigo - (Stay with me)

Tonight we dance
I leave my life in your hands
We take the floor
Nothing is forbidden anymore

Don't let the world in outside
Don't let a moment go by
Nothing can stop us tonight

Bailamos - Let the rhythm take you over bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - bailamos - (I want to love you mine - we dance)
Wanna live this night forever - bailamos (We dance)
Te quiero amor mio - te quiero

Tonight I'm yours
We can make it happen I'm so sure
I won't let go
There is something I think you should know

I won't be leaving your side
We're going to dance through the night
I want to rach for the stars

Bailamos - let the rhythm take you over bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - bailamos
Wanna live this night forever - bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - te quiero

Tonight we dance
Like no tomorrow
If you will stay with me
Te quiero mi amor - (I love you my love)

Quidate conmigo - (stay with me)
Esta noche - bailamos - (Tonight. We dance)

Bailamos - let the rhythm take you over bailamos
Te quiero amor mio - bailamos
Wanna live this night forever - bailamos
Te quiero amor mio bailamos
Como te quiero
Como te quiero - (As I love you)
Como te quiero

 

 

END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Peggy R.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.