Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 6 of The Case of the Wounded Head series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
310
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
953

The Motive But Not the Means

Summary:

Characters: Don, Nena
Rating: FRK, PG
Summary:  Nena isn't satisfied with baseballs.
Series: The Case of the Severed Head
Word Count: 300
Disclaimer: Not my characters (except when they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my beta, dani.

Work Text:

 

The Motive But Not the Means
By Irena Adler

Nena and Don returned to the kid's batting cage and worked on Nena's swing until she was connecting with the baseballs. Don felt like a proud papa when a ball sailed out in a perfect arc.
 
Nena smiled with relief at his cheers and Don agreed that was enough for now.
 
Don signed in for his usual cage and stretched out his shoulders. He made sure that Nena was well-protected behind the fencing, then set the machine to give him big fat heat.
 
Thwack. The ball came cleanly off the bat and shot into the late afternoon sky.
 
Nena gasped and Don grinned to himself. Don hit a few more easy balls, then set the machine to mix it up a little and got to work. He glanced back regularly to make sure Nena was still there, but it took a few moments for him to realize that her smile had turned to a frown. He shut off the machine.
 
"Something wrong, honey?"
 
"It'll never make it," she said.
 
"Won't make what?"
 
"The ball's never going to make it to space."
 
Don blinked. "That's true, it's not designed to, uh, go into space, but, uh, travel forward and out of the ballpark."
 
"Oh," Nena frowned.
 
Don gathered his things and took Nena to a bench outside the cage. "Hitting a ball, or anything, makes it fly in the direction of the bat angle, usually straight ahead. You need something that goes up. Like a rocket."
 
"Okay."  Nena's smile returned. "Let's do that!"
 
"Uh, what?"
 
"A rocket!"
 
"No, it's almost dinner time. Go wash your hands then we'll go home."
 
"Tomorrow?"
 
"Maybe," Don said with a plastered-on smile. As soon as Nena disappeared into the bathroom, Don pulled out his phone and quickly dialed.
 
"Larry," Don whispered. "I need your help!"

 

 

 

END