Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 5 of The Case of the Wounded Head series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
299
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
909

The Suspect and the Grapefruit Herring

Summary:

Characters: Don, Nena
Rating: FRK, PG
Summary:  Don and Nena go to the batting cages.
Series: The Case of the Severed Head
Word Count: 300
Disclaimer: Not my characters (except when they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my beta, dani.

Work Text:

The Suspect and the Grapefruit Herring
By IrenaAdler

 

After Don convinced Nena that Alan didn't need to be there to catch baseballs and convinced Alan that Nena would be safe with a machine flinging baseballs at her, Don and Nena arrived at the batting cages.
 
For a moment, they just stood outside and watched the balls flying off the bats.
 
"Do they call a timeout," Nena asked. "And everyone goes and picks the baseballs up?"
 
"No, they have a machine, like a little bulldozer, that drives around and scoops up the balls."
 
"Like the Z-machine at a hockey game?"
 
Don chuckled. "Kinda like a Zamboni. A grass Zamboni."
 
Laughing, Nena grabbed Don's hand and tugged him towards the cages.
 
Don paid for a kid's cage and – after checking the safety features as he'd promised Alan – tried to teach Nena how to correctly swing her bat. After a while, both of them getting a little frustrated, Don called a break and they shared a soda.
 
"Are there machines that throw tennis balls?" Nena asked.
 
"Yup." Don took a sip of soda. "Softball, too. Table tennis, handball. Maybe volleyball, soccer, and basketball, too."
 
"Grapefruit?"
 
Don coughed on a swallow that went down wrong. "What?"
 
"Grapefruit! For grapefruitball!"
 
"What's that?"
 
"Tomatoes are too squishy and lemons fly funny. You throw the grapefruit at someone and they try to catch it or run away. If it hits you, you lose, but if you catch it and it doesn't bust, you can throw it back."
 
"Uh," Don said. "Where do you play grapefruitball?"
 
"Everywhere!" Nena grinned. "Jumping over fences and running through yards is the best part!"
 
Don frowned. He'd bet that game was played under Alan's watch. Don really needed to talk with him about appropriate play.
 
Nena quickly cleared her throat. "Uh, Uncle Don, I need more help on my swing!"

 

END