Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,109
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
2,119

A dysfunctional family

Summary:

Fandom: BtVS
Characters: Giles, Spike/Angel
Rating/Warnings: PG13 for violence and m/m kissing stuff.
Summary: Set after The Gift when the team in Sunnydale are trying to cope.  Giles walks in on Spike and Angel coping.

Work Text:

A dysfunctional family
by Lilithangel

Giles knew Spike wasn't feeding properly.  None of them had coped with Buffy's sacrifice well and he had never expected to care about the vampire, but he'd seen the grief and Spike was still there with them holding onto the lies they had built.

He was too formidable a fighter to be allowed to weaken deliberately, and Giles had become rather fond of the time they spent together after patrol.  Although some nights Spike would leave them immediately and not reappear for a night or two.

They all had their coping mechanisms and Giles wasn't going to press Spike about his, but the vampire had looked more worn than usual and had disappeared without the blood Giles had gotten for him.

So Giles was going to deliver it to Spike's crypt.  Just this once mind, he didn't want Spike to expect it all the time.

There was another figure in the graveyard heading for Spike's crypt.  Giles reached to check he had a stake in his pocket even as he recognised the figure as Angel.  Why Angel would be in Sunnydale now worried Giles and why he would be looking for Spike worried Giles more.

Giles knew the animosity between Spike and Angel was long standing and he didn't want the older vampire to take out their best fighter because of some long standing grudge.

When Giles reached the crypt Angel was already inside and he could hear the sound of a struggle.  The door was still open so he rushed inside only to find the vampires locked in a different sort of battle.  Angel was pinned to a wall and Spike was pressed against him.  They
were so locked in a kiss that they didn't even notice Giles standing there with blood bags in one hand and a stake held aloft with the other.

Angel pushed Spike away making the blond stumble against the sarcophagus.  He followed up with a blow to the stomach and then pulled Spike up by the lapels to kiss him again.

Clothes were being shed before Giles recovered himself enough to cough loudly.  The vampires froze and then scrambled apart, attempting to right themselves in a manner that would have been quite amusing if Giles wasn't so mortified by what he'd seen.

"Giles," Angel said in his best non-threatening pose, "it's not what it looks like... well it is what it looks like," he added at Spike's snort.

"I've brought you your blood Spike," Giles said, not looking at Angel, "please remember to drink it before it spoils this time.  I'll just leave you to it.  You might want to close the door this time however, just in case one of the others turns up."  He put the blood on the sarcophagus and back out.  He saw Spike smile as he left and realised his embarrassment might well be worth it for that alone.

Angel shut the door behind Giles and groaned.  "Does Giles visit often?" he asked.

"Not often," Spike said, still smiling at Angel's look of embarrassment.

"He won't be concerned about what we're doing?" Angel said.

"So long as I can still fight he won't be concerned about anything," Spike said.  He went over and picked up the bags of blood.  "Might as well take this downstairs."

Angel followed and waited for Spike to store the blood.  Before he could say anything else Spike spun around and punched him in the mouth.  Angel's head snapped back and he grabbed hold of Spike's arm, sending the blond spinning across the room to bounce onto the bed.

Angel landed heavily on top of Spike and Spike pulled him down for a kiss.  Neither mentioned the tears they both shed even as clothes were pulled free and Angel quickly prepared Spike.  Spike didn't let him do more than was necessary, preferring the burn and not wanting the tenderness Angel sometimes offered.

Angel didn't offer often, needing the anger and passion as a concession to Angelus who always rattled his cage when Spike was near.

They never talked about it, not even the first time Angel had sought Spike out after Willow had brought him the news.  The fight had just turned into something else halfway through.  Spike had pushed Angel out the door after the first time, but hadn't turned him away the second time and it became an outlet for both of them.

He always left before dawn, neither of them certain what to do after passion was slaked and the reality of what they had both lost returned.

He found Giles waiting by his car.

"I'm not as stupid as to ask what you two are doing," Giles said without preamble, "I just want to know if you are aware of how damaged Spike is right now."

"Why do you care?" Angel asked with similar bluntness.

"Spike is part of our team and too valuable to lose.  Without... our slayer we need a fighter as strong as Spike.  He didn't cope well after and barely looks after himself as it is.  The last thing we need is you damaging him further."

"You almost sound like you care, Giles," Angel said, not hiding his sarcasm.

"Whatever Spike has done, he has stayed and fights in her name." Giles could toss barbs as easily as Angel.

Angel acknowledged the hit with a nod.  "It is something we both need so don't worry I won't dust him."

"I'm not worried about that," Giles said, "I'm worried you could break him beyond repair."

"I don't have that power over Spike," Angel said.

"Yes you do," Giles said, "He's the one that got Willow to go and tell you in person.  You were the second person he thought of after Dawn.  He wasn't very polite in his wording but it was you he thought of."

"I didn't realise," Angel said in surprise.

"Just don't do anything irreversible," Giles warned, standing up and moving away from the car.

"I'll try," Angel said.  "Giles," he called the watcher back, "the blood.  How does Spike normally get his blood now?"

"We used to pay him for information," Giles said, "now we just take it in turns to buy it for him."

"I'd like to help," Angel said, reaching for his wallet, "Spike won't take it from me."

Giles nodded and accepted the money Angel offered.  He didn't want to be beholden to the vampire but this was something they both needed to do.

It was never spoken of again and Giles made no comment if he saw the convertible or found money in his letterbox afterwards.

Then Buffy came back and everything changed again.

 

END