Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,331
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,318

All I Wanted Was Cheese

Summary:

Something told me that it was gonna be one'a them days today

Work Text:



All I Wanted Was Cheese....
by Jim Nasium

 

Something told me that it was gonna be one'a them days today, as soon as I woke up late, and that I should have walked to the old Acme Supermarket, cross town, and stayed away from the new Acme Supermarket store, that is closer to my home... Why I didn't listen to that inner voice, and the warning it gave me, this morning, I will never know.

The walk to the New Acme Supermarket Store, from my home, is a shorter walk, than the walk to the Old Acme Supermarket Store cross town. The walk is only about 4 blocks from my home, to the new store, but the walk to the old store, cross town, is about a mile and a half, but the walk to the old store allows me to use the railroad tracks as a short cut... I like the rail road track short cut, because there is always something exciting happening back there, on the tracks. Always...

I really did want to go to the Old Acme Supermarket Store, but since it had rained all night, and there were puddles everywhere, I decided to walk to the new Acme Supermarket Store, so I could stay on the sidewalks, and not have to walk through the mud, that I would have to walk through, if I did take the short cut, using the railroad tracks, to the old Acme Supermarket Store, cross town.

I had only gone a few blocks, two blocks in fact from my home, when a car load of young white punks drove by me, very fast, music blaring, through a water puddle that splashed me, and got me soaking wet... and I do mean soaking wet too! I was so pissed! I started to run after the car, screaming something that I better not repeat here... One of the young white punks stuck his middle finger out the window, and up at me, and the car turned at the next corner, screeching it's tires as it did... I listen to the music coming from the car fade, and I knew  that I could never catch the car load of white punks, while I was on foot... and acceped that fact...

Since I was only one block from the store now, I figured I may as well go ahead, and go into the store, all wet, get what I went there for, a piece of cheese, and then go home, shower and change into something warmer.... and then make me some breakfast, a cheese and veggie omelet...

I walked cross the New Acme Supermarket Store parking lot, taking a short cut between cars that all seemed to have been driven there by one person... I watched many folks load their trunks and back seats with many bags of food, and every car had only one person at it... I wonder to myself why so many folks, each needed a car, and why couldn't some'a the folks go to the store together and use one car for like every 3 people... or every 4 people...

What ever did happen to car pooling I asked myself?

I made my way into the store, and I grabbed one of the little hand held basket that are kept there near the front, main, door, out it over my arm and walked towards the back of the store, to the deli area, my wet sneakers squeaking on the tile floor with each step that I took, leaving behind me wet foot prints on the floor as I did...

As I pasted a stock boy, who was real busy stocking cans, he turned to look down at my noisy sneakers and as he did, he knocked over a whole stack of can's, the cans he had just stacked there so neatly... they were cans of baked beans...

There were cans everywhere, and as they crashed to the floor with a big bang the lady near by jumped, and crabbed for her heart as she fell to her knees and started to gasp for air.. Another woman who happened to be nearby comforted her, and at the same time I noticed that
some'a the cans started to roll away, down the isle, and into the next isle.

I guess it was all my fault, because the stock by said to me, "why are you so wet" totally over looking the older woman who nearly had a heart attack from all'a the commotion...

I started to explain to him what had happened to me, but his supervisor came running towards him, and all the cans that were now laying on the floor, near my wet sneaker footprints, so I thought it best to just leave, and so I said excuse me, and went on to go get some cheese, at the deli...

I made my way to the back of the store, to the deli area, and went to the thing that has the roll of paper in it, that has numbers on it, on a roll of paper, and took a number... I was number 117. I looked up at the digital thingie, on the wall, that let ya know what number was being served... and number 98 was now being served...

I was standing there, watching folks walk up to the deli lady, place their orders, and leave, one after the other... the whole time the "Now Serving" number never changed... it still said number 98 being served... I had been waiting to purchase some cheese from the deli person for about fifteen minutes, when at long last, finally, it dawned on me that no one else was even using the paper now being served numbers...

I walked up to the deli lady and asked her why she never told me that they were not using the Now Serving Numbers, that were on a roll of paper in that thingie, and why she just let me stand there, soaking wet, waiting, and she said, all in one breath... "I had no idea what you  wanted, and why are you so wet, and can I help you now, what do you want"

I asked the deli lady for a chunk of imported jarlsburg cheese... a chunk about one pound in weight. She looked at all the cheese that was in the glass counter between us, and one by one she picked up and then looked at each end of each piece of cheese in the counter, and she could  not seem to find any jarlsburg cheese... she said she'd "go look in the back for me"...

Meanwhile, the manager, the same man who ran to see why all the cans had fallen, came up to me and he asked me what I was doing, standing there, at the deli counter, dripping wet... and he wanted to know why did I knock over all them cans of baked beans... I tried to explain to him that I didn't knock over anything, and I started to asked him how the lady, who had been standing near by the cans that fell was doing, when there was an announcement over the intercom, it was for him. He got a call, over the loud speaker: "Will the manager please come to the back of the store, to the deli, because we need help to find cheese...

"Hey, that cheese is for me", I said to him, and he looked down at me and said, "you're a trouble maker aren't you? Why don't you go to the old store, cross town"....

Something told me that it was gonna be one'a them days today, as soon as I woke up late, and that I should have walked to the old Acme Supermarket, cross town, and stayed away from the new Acme Supermarket store, that is closer to my home... Why I didn't listen to that inner voice, and the warning it gave me, this morning, I will never know.

 

 

©1999 Jim Nasium
La Galeria de GymArt
http://www.voicenet.com/~gymart