Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-08-04
Words:
17,007
Chapters:
16/16
Comments:
4
Kudos:
33
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
6,300

Angels and Devils

Summary:

Fandom: Barney Miller
Pairing: Wojo/Dietrich, some others
Summary: This is a mutant plot bunny with vampires n' stuff. I don't think I wanna try a summary at this point. I'm just gonna see where the story takes me.
Series/Sequel: N/A
Disclaimer: Caleb, Damien, and Byrne are mine. I don't own any of the other characters. This is just for fun and I'm not making any money. Please don't sue me.
Warnings: violence

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text


Angels and Devils
by Python

 

 

 

Caleb felt it. The sun was almost down. Soon he'd be able to go outside.  He hated being stuck inside. He'd always been an outdoors type of person,  who liked to spend a lot of time in the sun. He should've remembered that  when he agreed to let Damien turn him. Caleb could still see Damien in his mind, grinning at him and answering, "I think eternal life is a small price to pay."

Caleb shook the memory off. After all that had happened between them, he  never wanted to see Damien again. He wasn't mad about being turned into a  vampire anymore. After all, that was his choice. Caleb just didn't realize  that it would require being seperated from the rest of humanity and the urge  to feed on them. He could fight it most of the time.

Caleb couldn't stand the useless cruelty that Damien tended to put people  through. Damien didn't see any worth in anything except himself. Caleb  stayed with his maker until he couldn't stomach Damien's actions against  Caleb or anyone else anymore.

"You'll be back," Damien had said.

Caleb shook his head. He never went back. He just travelled, never staying too long in one place. While in Italy, he heard about the Medici Bible. The cover was supposed to be made of goat skin and written in the blood of saints. According to legend, it contained rituals that could be used to reverse vampirism among other things. Those other things caused the church to hide it and then send it on to the New World. It was passed from church to church. Caleb decided to start his own search. Some may have thought that this sounded stupid but he was willing to give it a try. Most people didn't really believe in the spirtual powers but Caleb knew they existed and were very powerful.

That's what brought Caleb to New York. The most current thing he'd been able to track down was an old newspaper clipping from the 1920s saying that a church had been robbed and no valuables except an old Bible taken.

The sun was finally down and Caleb stepped outside. He looked up at the moon and took a deep breath. The essence of New York hadn't changed since the last time he was there fifty years before.

Caleb made his way to the old church and knocked on the door. He knew it was late but someone should be there. An old priest invited him in.

"Thank you Father..."

"Byrne. What can I do for you young man?"

Caleb showed him the newspaper clipping.

Byrne read the clipping, "Yes I remember this. What about it?"

"I'm doing research on church artifacts. Was this the Medici Bible?" Caleb asked.

The priest licked his lips and nodded slowly, "The Medici Bible is a myth."

"Oh come on Father. We both know that's not true."

Byrne sighed, "All right. The church doesn't like to talk about it but yes it was."

Caleb eyed the other man, "I guess whoever stole it didn't know what they had."

"No....The church has heard nothing more about it. Hopefully it will stay  buried."

"I thought it was supposed to be a good thing."

The priest hesitated but then answered, "It was a mixed blessing."

Caleb nodded. Byrne didn't seem to know anything more but this wasn't getting him any closer, "Where would
you suggest I go from here?"

Byrne put a hand on Caleb's shoulder, "I suggest you forget about it. The Lord buried it for a reason."

"Please Father," Caleb asked, grinning. He hoped this would be enough. He didn't like the idea of using his powers on a priest.

Byrne gave a small smile, "You know. You're not the only one who's asked me about the Bible."

Caleb tensed. Please don't let him say Damien he pleaded silently, "Really."

Byrne nodded, "Yeah. A detective from the police department."

"Really? Why would he be interested in such a old case?"

"I think it's some kind of pet project. You know...something to work on when your other duties aren't keeping you busy."

Caleb nodded. This would be another place to look. Maybe this detective had come up with something, "I'd like to talk to him. What's his name?"

"Sergeant Arthur Dietrich. He's at the 12th precinct," Byrne answered.

"Thank you so much Father."

"Good luck."

****

Dietrich got up and stretched. Another shift and another day of working  with Harris was over and he was ready to go home. Harris had dumped him  almost six months before but Dietrich still found it hard. Everyday they  acted as if nothing had ever happened. That's the way Harris wanted it and Dietrich would respect that. Making their history public knowledge wouldn't help either of them. He rubbed the back of his neck and made his way to the door.

Wojo was already at the door and motioned for Dietrich to go ahead of him.

"Thanks. See ya tomorrow," Dietrich said queitly.

Wojo nodded, "Ok...Hey. You doing anything for dinner?"

Dietrich smiled, "No thanks. Maybe some other time." He was flattered by the fact that Wojo was always trying but he didn't feel ready. He didn't want to let anyone get too close to him yet.

"Ok," Wojo answered. He wasn't going to push it. He didn't know for a fact what happened between Dietrich and Harris but he had a pretty good idea. He tried not to glare as Harris brushed past him.

"See ya later Woj."

"Yeah," Wojo answered. He put a lid on his impatience, took a deep breath, and left.

***

Dietrich came home to the phone ringing. He shut the door and then picked  up the receiver, "Hello."

"Sergeant Dietrich this is Father Byrne."

"Yes. Hello Father," Dietrich said, sitting down.

"I'm sorry to call this late."

Dietrich rubbed his eyes, "It's ok. What can I do for you?"

"Someone came around tonight asking about the Medici Bible."

"Really?"

"Yes. He said he's doing research on church artifacts. He'll probably be contacting you soon," Byrne explained.

"Ok. Thanks."

"Your welcome. Good night."

Dietrich hung up the phone and loosened his tie. He hadn't been able to think about his pet case lately.

His interest in this Bible was purely intellectual. The mystery intrigued him but he didn't really believe all of the legends surrounding the book. Work was keeping him busy but he did have a couple of new leads.

He just hadn't had a chance to follow them up yet. It could wait.

 

end part 1

TBC...if anyone's interested.
What do you all think?