Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
357
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,200

Time Out

Summary:

Fandom: Original fic
Pairing: none
Portrayed by: (optional)
Category: General
Rating: FRC
Status: complete, ficlet
Spoilers: nope
Series/Sequel: you tell me
Brief Summary: Wizards and apprentices and gnomes and smiling cats, oh my
Warnings: messed up humor
Notes/acknowledgments: written for the "Ten Minutes" prompt "Don't resist, just let it happen"
General thanks to all of you folks who are requesting short fics and improvs in the various fandoms. You're keeping the words flowing.
Disclaimers: mine, all mine
Archive: Yes, but ask first, include the complete story and provide a URL to the archive
Forwarding to other lists: Okay, but keep my name and headers attached. A heads up would be nice as well.

Work Text:


Time Out
by PEJA

 

"Dont resist," the elder druid murmured softly in his young apprentices ear. "Just let it happen."

Young Mondru'a brows scrunched up in a tight scowl as he struggled to maintain the glowing ball of light in the palm of his hand. The light flared brightly for a second than sputtered and crumpled into ash. "Blast and damnation. I can't do it."

The elder chuckled, his long white beard waving with the sound. "Ah the young. Always so impatient, hey Tink?"

A gnome, no more than three feet high, and just about the same wide, peeped up from his scrolls. His green eyes sparkled with amusement as his glance traveled over the pouting apprentice. "Young Mondru give up to easy, my thinking. A wastrel, is what. Better to find apprentice who want to spend the energy, Quillian. Many boys want to study under the master, says Tink."

"Is that what Tink says?" Mondru snapped, his fingers unfurling to reveal a perfect flame. "Well I say maybe Tink would like to taste my energy. What say Tink now?"

The gnome bounced off his stool, glowering at the apprentice. "Says Tink, young Mondru need a kick, swift and hard in the knickers.'

"Oh yeah?" Mondru advanced on the gnome, his hands curling into fists. "You and what fairy?"

"Tink and Tink alone, whiny boy."

Mondru jeered, "You would need to sprout wings to kick that high, Short Stuff."

Tink bristled, his body seeming to expand with his rage. His knees bent in preparation to spring.

Mondru fell into a defensive crouch, eyes alive with the fire and fury of youth.

From the sidelines, Quillian made a casual gesture with his hands and the air crackled around the two combatants.

Quillian picked up a feather duster from his workbench and glided across the room to dust first one gray statue and than the other. "I think, Cha-Cha, these two need a time out."

A raggedy looking yellow and orange cat looked up from his grooming and tilted his head. A slow smile seemed to pull back his lips briefly before he bent back to licking his paw and swiping it over his tattered, scarred left ear.


the end