Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
833
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,191

A Return to Life

Summary:

Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom(s): The Sentinel
Genre: General
Pairing/Characters: Jim Ellison, Blair Sandburg
Rating: FRM
Summary: Blair tries to return to something normal after the events both at the fountain and with Alex.
Warnings: Spoilers for 'Sentinel, Too', parts one & two
Acknowledgments: Thanks to Lyn for the beta on this short piece.  And sorry that this is late, Annie.

Work Text:

 

A Return to Life
Debbie

Blair sat in the parking lot, lost in thought.  He had been doing that a lot lately.  Of course, the circumstances surrounding the last couple of weeks were still fresh in his mind.  He couldn't wrap his brain around the fact that he had been dead, even for a brief time.  He didn't remember any of the particulars, but that was fine with him.  Of course, no one, either at the station or at the university, talked about what happened to him.  It was as if it was there, but no one acknowledged it.

Blair wanted to talk to someone about what he had gone through.  He wanted to talk to Jim about what had happened.  What the two of them had gone through.  It was a shared experience.  Blair had flashes of what he perceived as a joining between his spirit animal and Jim's. He wanted to know if Jim had the same vision.  However, it was apparent to Blair that Jim didn't want to discuss any aspect of the
past several weeks.

Before either Jim or Blair knew Alex was in Cascade, Jim had been sensing the other sentinel in his territory.  Blair kept the information about Alex from Jim, hoping he wouldn't find out until Blair was ready for the two of them to meet in a controlled setting. It didn't work that way, though.  Blair should have known better. After all this time, he should have acknowledged Jim's abilities, both as a sentinel and as a police officer.  Jim knew something was going on, but couldn't quite put his finger on it.  As a result, it blew up in Blair's face, getting him kicked out of the loft and left vulnerable to Alex when she came looking to eliminate him.

Blair shook his head.  He had died at the fountain, but the merging of his and Jim's spirit animals had brought him back.  Then there was the tracking of Alex to Mexico, with Blair tagging along.  He knew he had to prove to Jim that he hadn't betrayed him.  Although, when he arrived in Mexico, Jim seemed annoyed that he had come and later allowed Alex to aim his own gun at Blair.  For a split second on the beach, Blair thought he was really going to die.

Blair knew this way of thinking wasn't helping anything.  He got out of his car, grabbing his backpack from the passenger side.  He was already late for his meeting with the anthropology professors about his coming back to work full-time.  His personal doctor had cleared him to go back to teaching.  He was anxious to do something normal for a change.

Blair took his time on the flights of stairs up to his meeting.  He still became short of breath if he pushed himself too far.  On the way up to the third floor, he thought about his relationship with Jim.  He was still trying to patch up his mistakes.  At least Jim had let him come back to the loft once they returned to Cascade.  With Blair still on the mend, Jim seemed as though he wasn't about to let Blair try to fend for himself.  There was still strain between the two men, but at least they were civil to each other.

Blair walked into the office and four sets of eyes looked at him.

"Blair!  Glad to see you made it!  Come sit down.  We've all be anxiously looking forward to your return."  Dr. Eli Stoddard indicated the chair closest to his desk.  Blair walked over and sat down.

He didn't look up at any of the professors.  "I'm sorry I'm late." He opened his backpack and pulled out a piece of paper, handing it to Dr. Stoddard.  "That's the doctor's report saying I'm cleared to resume all activities."

"Good!  I've heard from many of your students that they missed you. Also, the teaching assistants we've had filling in for you say the same thing."

Blair wanted to laugh, but he looked at each of the professors in the room.  There was no hint that this was any type of joke on their part.  Blair wanted to believe that he made a difference with his students and that they enjoyed his teaching.

"Well, then, it's a good thing that you are willing to let me come back."

"Of course we want you back, Blair.  You don't have to worry about that."

Blair looked around the room again.  This was where he belonged. This was what he needed to do.  He would continue to help Jim with his senses, but teaching would be his priority.  Following Jim around had proven, repeatedly, to be too dangerous.  After his brief taste of death, he knew he didn't want to repeat it.  It was much better to live than to die.  After all, Jim might not be there the next time to bring him back.


end

Email: debbie020556@yahoo.com
Website: http://brothersinarmsfiction.com