Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
11,829
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
2,153

Cedant arma togae ad candida Pax. (1.)

Summary:

ARCHIVE: Scorpio's Constellation, AJCS, Mpreg, The Den and WWOMB
FANDOM: Xena/Hercules
PAIRING: Several are implied throughout, but none are the focus of the story. Slashy subtext towards the end.
RATING: PG-13
CATEGORY: Response to Dassbuffy's "Oh my God! Hercules killed Ares. That Bastard!" challenge posted to AJCS.
WARNINGS: AU, character death, Herc bashing, mpreg, and a sickening descent into sappiness towards the end.
SUMMARY: Hercules' temper gets the best of him and he acts without thinking. Then, he has to pay the consequences.
DISCLAIMER: The characters are owned by Ren Pics and Flat Earth Prod. The myths are owned by no one and everyone. The basic idea of Herc killing Ares and getting punished for it belongs to Dassbuffy. I merely wrote the plot. I am making no profit and no infringement of copyrights are intended.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

TRANSLATIONS:
1. Cedant arma togae ad candida Pax. (Latin)
Let military rule yield to the gown of white-robed Peace.
2. a verbia ad verbera (Latin)
from words to blows
3. hinc illae lacrumae (Latin)
hence [came] those tears
4. bibere venenum in auro (Latin)
to drink poison from a cup of gold
5. palmam qui meruit ferat (Latin)
let him who has won the palm wear it
6. nec cupias, nec metuas (Latin)
neither desire nor fear
7. sine ira et studio (Latin)
without ill-will and without favor
8. bella, horrida bella (Latin)
wars, horrid wars
9. path'emata math'emata (Greek)
sufferings [are] lessons
10. anathema sit (Latin)
let him be accursed
11. avito viret honore (Latin)
he is green with ancestral honours
12. amabilis insania (Latin)
a pleasing madness or rapture
13. Pax vobiscum (Latin)
Peace be with you.

 

 

Cedant arma togae ad candida Pax. (1.)
by Scorpio


a verbia ad verbia (2.)

Hercules didn't want to be here on Olympus and he didn't really want to spend so much time around his family. If he could have found a way out of being here, then he would have jumped on that excuse in a mortal heartbeat. However, this festival was mandatory by order of Zeus and no one, full God or demigod, was allowed to miss this event. Thankfully, it only happened once every hundred years to mark the anniversary of the day when Zeus was crowned King of Olympus after the defeat of the Titans. Hercules' plan to get through this particular incarnation of the festival was to find Xena in this crowd of Gods and then hang back in the shadows with her.

Unfortunately, the crowd was thicker than he had expected. Every God was there along with their High Priests and High Priestesses. Every minor godling and elemental was there as well. Hercules hadn't realized that their were so many nymphs, neriads and dryads in all of Greece. There were also demigods running around and a few important mortals that were being honored by being invited to attend. Some of the non-human appearing creatures there were so fantastical and hideous that Hercules would have attacked them and challenged them to a fight to the death if they were in the Mortal Realm. The fact that these terrifying beasts were hobnobbing with his family only served to anger him.

Pushing through the crowd in search of Xena, Hercules came upon one of three beings that he had hoped to avoid the most. Ares. Thankfully, his twisted sister Eris and their vengeful mother Hera wasn't with him, but even alone, the War God was annoying and arrogant. Hercules hated him.

For half a second, Hercules considered just turning around and walking in the other direction to find Xena, but then he overheard a snatch of what his raven haired brother was saying to the earth elemental fawning over him and Hercules saw red. It wasn't enough that Ares started wars, oh no, he had to sit back afterwards and *laugh* about it. It made Hercules furious to hear his brother casually dismiss the lives of those who had died in that war and spout some political nonsense about crop production and economics. It was so...cold and heartless. Ares was a monster; worse than a harpy, worse than the hydra, worse than any plague or locust swarm because Ares *knew* what pain the mortals suffered and obviously didn't care.

His blood pounded in his ears and his vision narrowed down until all he saw was his hated brother and nothing else. Hercules stomped forward in the grips of a mighty rage and bloodlust like nothing he had ever felt before. Ares either heard him or felt his anger, because the War God turned to face him, his features twisted into a mixture of surprise and smugness.

Hercules was screaming at the top of his lungs. He wasn't sure what he was yelling, or even if he was coherent enough to be understood by others, he was just letting his anger and hatred roll through him. It vibrated up and down his spine and filled every corner of his body as he shoved his face into Ares' and screamed. He shook his fists and stomped his feet and the anger never died down, it never receded and faded. It just grew and grew. Some small vague corner of his mind wondered voicelessly if he was under some God's spell, but that tiny voice couldn't compete against the rage pouring into him and through him.

Finally, his anger demanding that he take action because shouted words were simply not enough, Hercules reached out with his one hand and physically yanked Ares' Sword out of it's sheath at his side. Hercules had half a second to wonder what he was planning to do with the symbol of Ares' Godhood now that he had it. Before he could decide a shimmer of power washed over him and filled his mind with it's haunting song. His eyes seeing nothing but blood red, he didn't even realize that his brother's olive skin had gone pale and that he had collapsed to his knees. Hercules didn't notice that all eyes were riveted on the drama that they presented and that many of them were screaming in denial of the events playing out. He only saw the shinning Sword of War gleaming in his hands, he only heard it's seductive whisper as it told him what to do. Without blinking or flinching, Hercules swung out with the razor sharp blade. It whistled through the air until it hit something solid with a wet sounding thunk and then the resistance seemed to melt away under the force of the blade and it was whistling through the air once more.

Moments later, when Hercules came back to himself, his anger was banked back down and he was standing in the middle of a deep red glow. The Sword of War was held in his hands and blood dripped off of it's downwards pointing tip. At his feet lay the headless body of his older brother Ares. And several feet away, staring up at him with lifeless black eyes and an oddly serene grin on his face was Ares' severed head.

 

hinc illae lacrumae (3.)


Aphrodite stood there in stunned shock, unsure exactly which of the tumultuous emotions running through her body she should focus on. There were too many coming at her and stabbing into her brain in too quick a secession for her to comprehend them all. Mostly, she was just in shock. A blanket of unreality lay over all of her perceptions making her feel as if she was dreaming and that she had to wake up. Unnoticed to her, tears dripped down her soft cheeks.

In a swirl of gray smoke and a rainbow shimmer of colors, the Three Fates arrived in their long black ceremonial robes. As one, they turned to look to the side and Aphrodite followed their glance. Standing almost unassumingly was their younger sister, Destiny. She had witnessed the entire thing. Hence, it could not be undone. Absentmindedly, Aphrodite wiped a stray tear from her wet cheeks.

The first of the three sisters of Fate stepped forward and spoke, "As was prophesied long ago, Cruel War and Random Violence has been defeated and replaced by The Defender and Righteous War. This event was inevitable." Her voice was oddly choral, as if three voices were woven into one. Then, she stepped back into line with the others.

Almost immediately, the second of the Three Fates stepped forward, "This event was foreseen and shall mark the beginning of a new era which will allow the Pantheon access to Rome. Ares is dead. All Hail the new God of War, once known as Hercules and form this day forth called Mars." With an elegant sweep of her robe, she too stepped back in line with her sisters.

Finally, the last stepped forward, her voice held the same odd echoes as the others but also a touch of sadness. "As Destiny has foreseen and we, the Fates, have witnessed, so shall it be. All Hail Mars." As the last of the Three Fates stepped back, all of the Gods, demigods and mortals answered her cry as if compelled to. "Hail Mars; God of War!"

Silent tears streaming down her face, Aphrodite watched as her youngest and often foolish brother realized the full extend of his unthinking actions. He was now the holder of the Sword of War...and all of the burdens that came with it. The regret and slowly dawning horror that filled his eyes cut her deeply and she wished that she could spare him the pain that he had taken upon himself unknowingly. Hopes and wishes were useless though, she knew that from long experience with Ares. Hercules would just have to learn to shoulder the vast horror that was war and suffer the changes that it wrought upon his mind and soul. She could not help him or defend him from it's scars.

A choked sob caught in her throat as she turned her eyes from the newest God to the corpse of Ares; the father of her children. It seemed so wrong that his body should lay so low. Without thought, she reached out with her powers and created jet black marble to appear under him, raising his body up from the ground as it slowly formed into a solid block altar. Cupid, her oldest child with Ares, silently glided down from the sky and landed next her. He reached out with one glowing hand and Ares head rose from the blood soaked dirt and floated through the air to rest with his body on the gleaming black marble. Harmonia, her youngest child with Ares, walked over to Aphrodite and grasped her hand. With tears falling from both Goddesses eyes, together they used their power to carve Ares' symbol and totem onto the side of the block of marble as well as a highly detailed ornamental border around the edge.

From the other side, Aphrodite watched as her sister Eris, Eris' son Strife and her and Ares middle child, Enyo walked over to stand side by side. Her eyes shinning with tears that refused to fall, Eris reached out and ran a glowing hand over her twin's fallen form. As her hand passed, Ares' body changed clothes. No longer garbed in his everyday leather armor, his body was now draped in the brilliant purples and reds of his official office as the God of Cruel War and Random Violence. Strife, his normally pale skin a shocking white, reached out with shaking hands and summoned Ares' scepter and his shield. He laid the scepter at Ares' head and the shield at his feet. Enyo, tears falling silently for her father, used her powers to create a clear crystal dome to form over Ares' body, encasing it and protecting it.

Aphrodite watched, silently sobbing as Zeus walked through the hushed crowd until he was standing next to the altar by Ares' head. Hercules, now called Mars, stood in horrified shock at his brother's feet. Zeus' face was filled with a strange sadness and resignation as he gazed at Hercules.

"My son, I'm sorry that this happened and I'm even sorrier that the Fates chose you as Ares' replacement. However, you will have to take up that Sword and do as you must. When you are ready to take up the burden, you shall be the Head of the House of War." Zeus gestured to the side of the altar where Eris, Strife and Enyo stood. "And the Defender of the House of Love." Zeus then gestured to the other side where Aphrodite, Cupid and Harmonia stood.

At those words, her tears could no longer stay silent for they were the first duties ever laid upon Ares' shoulders when he was but a small boy. Wailing in loss and grief, Aphrodite collapsed to the ground and let her sorrow fill the air with her cries.

 


bibere venenum in auro (4.)


The House of War, including Hercules, sat around a long oval shaped oak table in one of the many conference rooms in Zeus' Olympian Temple. Strife and Eris sat on one side and she sat on the other. Her uncle Hercules sat down at the far end and no one really wanted to be close to him. It would be a long time until their tempers, anger and resentment had paled enough to be comfortable near him. Enyo sighed and wished that this had never happened at all. In her mind she knew that it wasn't Hercules' fault; the Three Fates had taken control of his body and forced him to do as he did in order to fulfill one of Destiny's prophecies. Still, her heart couldn't be convinced as easily.

Finally, Zeus walked into the room as sat down at the head of the table. He looked tired and drawn, weary and sad. He had never been as close to the members of the House of War as he was to the other Olympian Houses, but he had never moved against them actively and Enyo knew that this was hard on the King of the Gods.

Silently, Enyo watched as her grandfather gathered himself to speak. She could feel the tension in the air and knew instinctively that this mess was the beginning of something great, but she didn't see how something so painful and that felt so wrong could be turned into something good.

"I've called you here today because what we do next will effect the future in many ways." Enyo noticed that all eyes were riveted on Zeus even as the King of the Gods seemed to be focused on something that she could not see. "Destiny foresaw a time when the peoples of Greece would give rise of a child called Rome. We have seen that come to pass when one of Aphrodite's half-mortal sons left Greece and became involved in the politics of a small group of people that eventually called themselves Romans. Everyday the Roman Empire grows stronger and stronger. Our ties to them are through the House of War and the House of Love."

Enyo frowned. "Um...I can see the House of Love since it was one of Mom's children who started the bloodlines of many of their leaders...but War?"

Zeus nodded. "Yes, young one. War. Ares' also had many mortal children and some of them were sired onto Roman women and some left Greece for the chance to fight in the Roman Army and had children of their own. Their current military leader, one Julius Caesar, has blood ties to both Aphrodite and Ares."

"Ah." Enyo nodded, but didn't understand why the Romans were so important.

"At the moment, the Romans are concentrating their efforts on conquering their neighbors...of which Greece is one. If we do not get control of them, they will eventually destroy Greece. This has been foreseen. However, if we *can* control them, they will simply rule Greece as a subject nation, but not destroy it or all of it's culture and when Rome falls, Greece will still stand."

"Ares could not have allowed that to happen. He could not have borne Greece being a subject to anyone, even Rome. So, the Fates decided that the Pantheon needed a different War God, one who could lead the Romans into battle with their enemies, one the Romans would adopt as their own. One that could make the Romans defend Greece without them realizing it."

Enyo watched her Aunt Eris scowl. "And why couldn't Ares do that?"

Zeus sighed and somehow, Enyo knew what he was going to say. "Ares was born to bring Greece together, child. When you and he were born, the Greek people were still nomadic, still used to the ways of the Titans. They had no cities, no towns and very very few farms and villages. The two of you worked very hard to bring about the Greece that we all know and recognize today, Eris. You who stirred up the bandits and raiders who could not learn to be stable and settled and Ares who taught others to create defenses and to make a stand in one place, to defend one piece of land. Together, you showed the mortals what it meant to either hold land as theirs, precious to them and their children or to envy and want the land of others to conquer and take. Through War and Discord did mortals first learn to settle into towns and cities."

Hercules jerked slightly and Enyo could feel his surprise at this insight, but Eris merely scowled harder and made a 'so what?' gesture with her hands. Zeus sighed again.

"So, child. Ares cannot change his ways because the people won't let him. No one in Greece or in Rome would accept him as a benevolent and caring God, even if we know that he was. The people feared and hated him for he made them do what they didn't want, he brought them things that they needed but were afraid of. He forced change upon them. The Romans and even the Greeks, need a God of War that *they* see as good and honorable."

Worried in a way that she didn't know how to express, Enyo looked up at her grandfather. "What do we do next? How do we prepare for the inclusion of Rome into our plans?"

It was with a terrible sadness that Zeus looked over at her and a chill of foreboding when down Enyo's spine. "I'm sorry child, I hate to do this to you." He looked around the table. "To any of you, but I must if things are to happen as they are meant to."

Zeus pointed at Enyo. "Enyo; Goddess of Battles and Honorable Warriors, you shall temporarily take over as the Head of the House of War. You must let it be known that Ares is dead and that you are awaiting a new God to fill his position. One that will change the world for the better. Don't limit your focus to Greece, but include Rome as well. Keep the violence to a bare minimum if you can."

Zeus pointed to Eris. "Eris; Goddess of Discord and Conflict, you shall guard our borders. Keep foreign raiders out of Greece and keep the petty warlords and despots infighting among themselves. Weed out the weak and thin the herds of the insane and uncontrollable raiders and bandits."

Zeus pointed to Strife. "Strife, God of Mischief and Mayhem, you shall be Hercules' teacher along side of Athena. She shall focus on the reason that war is necessary, something that Hercules has never learned. Athena shall also teach him about long term planning and strategy. You, on the other hand, will focus on teaching him how to channel the energy and power created by aggression and hatred. Teach him the practical aspects of war, how to use his godly powers and how to fight."

At that point, Hercules snorted in disdain. Enyo growled at him. "What?"

The newest God shook his head, "I'm sorry. I can understand wanting me to be tutored by Athena. She's smart and she knows her stuff...but Strife? Teach me how to fight? I think I know how to fight."

This time, it was Strife that snorted in disdain. "Ya think, Jerkules? Ya think ya know how ta fight? Ya been doin' it for what?...thirty years? I been doin' it for three hundred. Ya were trained by a mortal, granted a mortal who was a pretty good fightah, but I was trained by Ares...an' he'd been doin' it for ovah a thousand years by that point. And a God fightin' a demigod an' bein' restricted on what he can and can't do to ya is a lot different from two Gods fighting all out." Strife chuckled and it wasn't a pleasant sound. "You'll see, Uncle Jerk. You'll see..."

 

palmam qui meruit ferat (5.)


"Father?"

Almost diffidently, Athena stuck her head around the door of her father's study. She knew that this was a bad time to bother him as he was grieving, stressed and worried. However, she didn't think that this could wait. It was too important.

"Father?"

"Yes, child? Come in, come in."

Sliding gracefully around the door and into the homey and tranquil study, Athena saw that her guess was correct. Zeus' face seemed drawn and dark circles appeared under his eyes. She doubted that he had gotten any sleep at all since this whole thing began.

"Please, sit down and be comfortable." Zeus gestured to the two chairs over on the far side of the room away from his desk. A warm and cheery fire burned in the hearth before the chairs and a small marble-topped wooden table sat between them with bowls of fruit sitting on top. With a smile, Athena followed her father over to the set of chairs and sat down in one. Wistfully, she could remember sitting here many times happily arguing obscure points of philosophy or literature with her father. Unfortunately, this talk would not be as cheerful or carefree.

"I...I had my first lessons with Hercules today."

"Oh?" Zeus materialized two goblets of ambrosia laced wine and handed her one. Gratefully, she drank deeply.

Internally, she winced as she knew that her news would not be welcome. "He's...not doing so well. I don't think that he can handle this." Zeus raised up one eyebrow in a silent request for more details and she nodded. "I never thought that I'd say this, but I miss Ares. He was rude, obnoxious and arrogant. On the other hand, he had an instinctual knowledge of how to control the waves of anger and aggression that pours off of all mortals. He also was brilliant. Not patient by any means, but incredibly smart. Hercules is normally a very patient man, not without his faults or his limits, mind you. But his temperament is usually steady and stable. The aggression that he is being forced to channel is causing him great pain and uncontrollable mood swings."

Zeus sighed and reached out to pat her hand gently. "That's to be expected, my dear. Even Ares had trouble at first. I'll speak to Strife and ask him to step up his efforts in teaching Hercules how to channel the energies more effectively. Although I fear that Hercules doesn't like to defer to our young mischief maker. You might want to encourage Hercules to take Strife seriously. Only he, Eris or Enyo could teach him to channel the energies of War."

"I know." Athena grimaced. "I tried to tell him that all ready. He didn't like the idea that even though many consider me a War Goddess that I'm really not. I can't channel those forces and I can't teach him that skill or I would."

They were silent for a moment, each contemplating the task of teaching an arrogant and barely controlled War God what he needs to know. Finally, Athena voiced the topic that was heaviest on her mind. "Perhaps you should leave Enyo as the Head of the House of War. I know that you mean for Hercules to take over when his training is complete, but I don't see how that will happen. Discord is too chaotic to handle the responsibilities. Granted, she can channel the energy just fine, but she is...unstable. And Strife? He can handle the energy and he has a natural aptitude for violence, but right now he's far too overworked training a recalcitrant Hercules and afterwards I think that he'll once again be most useful in harrying the enemy and spreading dissidence."

Athena sighed and took a small sip of her wine. "Enyo, on the other hand, has the calmest head in the entire House of War. She focuses on honor, loyalty and respect in warriors. Regimented armies and career soldiers adore her already. Plus, she already knows that which must be done and she can do it well."

Zeus nodded in agreement. "I would happily assign the lovely Enyo as the permanent Head of the House of War but for one thing. The Romans would not follow her. They would honor her and respect her, but she could not inspire them to the depths that we need. The Greeks? Yes. But the Romans? No."

Athena sighed and slumped down in resignation. "Then what we will do? Hercules cannot take over the duties of War if he continues in the same direction that he is now. He will either end up as a duplicate of Ares or insane with guilt. In either case, he won't be able to do what his destiny calls for."

Zeus nodded and then patted her hand again. "Fear not, my child. All will be well. I have spoken to the Fates on just this very subject. They assure me that there is still yet more events that must take place. Hera will be the one to bring about the next event through her own anger and defiance. That event will change Hercules in such a way as to make him suitable for what we will ask of him. Once that event happens, his training will be over and he truly will be Mars."

Athena crooked one elegant eyebrow up in speculation. "What is it that she will do?"

Zeus shrugged and cast her a rueful look. "I do not know and the Fates refuse to say. I also do not know when this will happen, so it is imperative that both you and Strife pass as much training and knowledge onto him as quickly as possible. Ares' death must *not* be in vain."

With a sigh, Athena put aside her goblet onto the small table. Standing up in one fluidly graceful move, she bowed her head towards Zeus. "Yes, Father. It shall be as you say." And then, she turned and slowly walked from the room and the comfort of her father's presence. She needed to speak to Strife and formulate a plan to make Hercules learn all that he needed to know.

 


nec cupias, nec metuas (6.)


Ares sat lounging on a soft comfortable velvet divan in his Uncle Hades' palace, a golden goblet of wine in one hand and a clay bowl of grapes resting on a low table beside him. A serene smile lit up his usually grim features as he watched his sister Persephone quietly weaving the stems of many night blooming flowers into her long flowing hair. His uncle sat across the room at his desk, a pile of scrolls in front of him and an absentminded frown upon his face. He too was caught up in watching the gentle woman seated before her mirror instead of focusing on the paperwork that was swiftly getting backlogged.

It had been a fortnight since his beheading, and Ares had never been so happy and relaxed. He almost wished that he had been killed sooner. While a bit dark and gloomy at times, his uncles' domain was quiet and tranquil as long as you avoided the depths of Tartarus and Ares had no interest in visiting there. He was quite content to lounge about the palace in Asphodel or take long walks in the Elusion Fields, but that was all he cared to do.

Violence and hatred no longer sizzled through his veins. Pain and agony no longer screamed in his mind. The need to destroy and to wreak havoc and violence no longer drove him. He was tranquil and serene for the first time in his memory and he didn't wish to do anything that would disturb this wonderful sensation coursing through him. He was at peace.

Suddenly, in the midst of the gentle quiet of the room a blazing ball of sizzling sparkles erupted out of thin air. A flash of light blinded everyone and sent shadows skittering across the room. The scent of burning ozone bit sharply into the still air and then Hera, Queen of the Gods stood before them in all her magnificence. Her eyes burned with anger and every line of her body was tense with indignant suffering. Her power shimmered around her in a glorious blaze of shifting light.

"I want Ares back!" Her regal tones echoed off of the vaulted ceiling and she pointed directly at Hades. "Return him to life immediately so that he can destroy Hercules and take back his Sword and his place as the Head of the House of War and the Heir to Olympus!"

Hades drew in a breath to speak, but Ares was quicker. "No."

That one simple word spoken with quiet determination made Hades' jaw snap shut and caused Hera to whirl around in shock. "Don't defy me boy. You shall do as I say. You will return to Olympus and take back your Sword from that arrogant murdering bastard of Zeus'."

Ares glanced down into his wine goblet for a long moment. When he looked back at her, his dark eyes were clear and his face was still serene. "No, Hera. I will not return to Olympus. I do not *want* to be the God of War. I did not want that job as a child, and I most definitely do not want it back again. Let Hercules have it. That Sword is a curse upon who ever wields it."

Hera scowled at him in disdain. "How can you say that? It made you powerful! It made you strong! It made you feared all throughout Greece!"

Ares laughed. And unlike the times before his death, his mirth held no malice, no scorn. It was pure and light and joy. "Being the God of War made me all of those things, Mother. But it was incapable of making me happy. That Sword channels nothing but hatred and anger and violence. Whoever carries it is doomed to suffer and I do not wish that burden back. For the first time since I was but a small child, I am happy. I am free of that curse, do not wish it back upon me."

Hera's eyes narrowed and she drew back as if she had been slapped. "How dare you? How dare you sit there and refuse to punish that bastard after what he has done? How can you not want to return to Olympus and raise your standard once more?"

Ares smiled at Hera. It was a sad smile, tinged with pity. "I forgive Hercules, Mother. I always understood him better than you. I hated him because all I could ever feel for anyone was hatred or anger or derision. That did not stop me from understanding him though. And without that burning anger and aggression running through me, that understanding has become forgiveness. And *that* is how I can sit here and refuse to punish him."

For a long moment, Hera and Ares just stared at one another. One, her face a mask of thwarted anger and pride. The other, one of sadness and pity. Finally, Hera swirled her long cloak about her body and smirked viciously. "We'll just see about that, Ares. You may defy me all you want, but I *am* the Queen of Olympus and you will do my bidding either willingly or against your wishes, but do my bidding you shall." And in a swirl of sparkles and a rush of power, she was gone.

 

sine ira et studio (7.)


Silently and without fanfare, Zeus arrived in a sun drenched glade in the middle of the Elusion Fields. He watched as his dead son bathed in a shallow pool of sparkling water. He was amazed at the transformation before him.

Zeus couldn't remember seeing his normally volatile and paranoid son so relaxed. Here he was, bathing in an unsecured area. No walls at his back, no armor covering his flesh. There were no silent proximity alarms to warn Ares that someone had come close to him, nor were there guardians set to attack any who dared disturb him. Most telling, however, was the expression on Ares' face. He was smiling. His body language was open and friendly, not defensive. Happiness and joy radiated from him. He was beautiful in Zeus' eyes for the first time in a long time.

Guilt raced through Zeus' mind. This is the Ares that would have been if he had not bestowed the Sword of War upon him. This is the Ares that the world would have known, and loved, had that burden been placed upon another. With a soft sigh of regret, Zeus mourned for himself, for the world and for the once young child that he had cursed with the Sword of War as well as for the child who held it even now.

Stepping forward out of the shade of the trees and into the false sunlight of the Underworld, Zeus watched as Ares turned to face him and smile a welcome full of joy and love. His heart clenched in his chest at that. It had been almost two thousand years since his beloved son had blessed him with a smile.

"Hail Ares." Zeus' voice was but a sad wistful whisper of regret.

Ares beamed at him. "Hail Zeus and Father." The dead God waved him closer and chuckled softly. "What brings you here? Although, I must admit that the serene quiet is relaxing. I'm a little surprised that Uncle Hades does not spend more time here in the Fields."

Zeus smiled back at Ares and watched his beautiful boy splash his way playfully out of the water, droplets glistening on his olive-toned skin. As soon as Ares was fully on dry land, a muted flash of light created a soft white linen drape about his damp flesh.

Zeus sighed and his smiled faded. "Ares, I wish I could tell you that this is just a friendly visit so that we could enjoy each other's company. Unfortunately, events in the Mortal Realm and on Olympus are moving very quickly so that the prophecy which began with your death turns in our favor."

Glancing over at his normally explosive child, Zeus was pleasantly surprised to see a thoughtful, if gentle, expression on his face. "What is it that has you worried, Father? Do not deny this, I can see it in your eyes."

With a rueful chuckle, Zeus rested one hand on Ares' shoulder. "I could never fool you, my child. You were always far too clever to be deceived by soft words." Then Zeus grew serious once more, his eyes looking out over the placid waters that Ares had bathed in. "It's your brother, Hercules. I fear for his mind. He was chosen by the Fates to be the new God of War because of his physical strength. He can channel the harsh and brutal energies of mortal aggression, but his mind?" Zeus turned to look directly at Ares. "I do not believe that Hercules can reconcile his personal beliefs with what he is experiencing and learning."

Ares nodded his head, unsurprised. "I know. Do not worry about it too much. Support him as best you can and know that things will work out the way they are meant to."

Zeus' eyes narrowed and he studied his son carefully. "What do you know that I don't, Ares?"

Ares shrugged lightly and offered up a soothing smile. "Not very much, I'm sorry to say. I do know, and have always known, that I was not meant to be the God of War. I have always known that I was merely preparing the Mortal Realm for him even as I was preparing myself for an even more difficult task."

One of Zeus' eyebrows shot up into his hairline. "Oh? And what task is that?"

A flicker of worry passed over his son's features almost too quickly to recognize, but Zeus saw it. "I don't know. Only that it will encompass the rest of days and that it will begin soon. Once this task is laid at my feet, Hercules will be fine."

Zeus wanted to believe that to be true, but he had watched Ares manipulate and pursue his own goals to the detriment of others for centuries. Ares must have read his thoughts for he smiled calmly up at Zeus. "Do not fear, I hold no hatred or anger towards my brother. I did not realize that he would be the one, but I have always known that I would one day pass on the Sword of War. I bear him no ill-will, though I will not show him any more favor than I all ready have."

Zeus simply nodded and turned to watch the sunlight sparkle on the water, his mind filled with thoughts of how Ares could have foreseen something so dramatic and not have taken steps to prevent it. Or perhaps he had taken steps to ensure it, but to what goal? Ares said that he didn't know, but why would he allow an unknown to come to pass? Then again, he himself was working to give birth to many great changes in the Pantheon that would effect the entire world for millennia to come.

 


bella, horrida bella (8.)


Hercules sat on a soft overstuffed chair in Athena's Olympian Temple and cried shamelessly into his hands. His older sister sat on one arm of the chair and gently rubbed his back in small soothing circles. It was calming him so that he didn't wish to rampage, but that gentle touch couldn't hold back the horror that crashed through his mind.

For many days, Athena had spent countless hours explaining various strategies to him. She taught him various techniques about sieges, planning long campaigns, utilizing the various war gods to the best of their abilities and their most efficient uses, the logistics of moving vast amounts of men, horses and weapons across land and sea. She had also spent many hours teaching him politics from the ground up. He had learned about the differences between a council leader and a King, a tyrant and a dictator, a democracy and a republic. Athena had even begun to broach such topics as economics, trade and agriculture.

Finally, in a burst of impatience and temper, Hercules had demanded to know *why* he needed to know all of that stuff. He was supposed to be the God of War and as far as he could see, the only thing that war did was get good men killed in a painful manner. So, Athena told him and to his horror, he could not escape her words.

The Goddess of Wisdom told him about the history of the House of War and how they, more than any other, shaped the face of modern Greece. Unrelentingly, she explained the reasoning behind each major conflict and the positive results that were yielded from that battle. She connected many small and insignificant battles and conflicts that periodically popped up from time to time in a logical fashion whose pattern could only be truly seen when viewed over a time period of centuries. To those few mortal involved, it was a horrible and tragic end to a difficult life, but the results left their grandchildren and great-grandchildren with a better militia, better medicine and new ideas brought to them by the captured warriors.

Athena went so far as to highlight all of his own campaigns to stop Ares and with brutal efficiency she pointed out all of the suffering and despair that was the inadvertent effects of his blundering in and destroying Ares' plans.

She pointed out an area devastated by drought. Many women and children were literally starving to death because the fields had not produced and it would happen again in the future because the people didn't know how to prevent it. He had stopped Ares' warriors from attacking that area two seasons ago. Athena explained that Ares had planned to kill off a good portion of the men in the area so that the women and children survived the drought. The leader of Ares' army would have taken over the area and then Strife was going to encourage his third in command to assassinate the Warlord as well as his right hand man. That person who the House of War was planning on manipulating into leadership had been raised on a farm in a different part of Greece and would have known how to prevent the drought from devastating the area again. Because of his own arrogant determination to stop Ares, those people were dying a slow painful death instead of a quick merciful one on the field of battle.

The most horrifying thing of all, was that it was not the only time that his efforts caused more damage than good. For every memory he had of stopping Ares, Athena pointed out the devastating consequences, many of which were only now beginning to show.

If that wasn't enough of a burden for his conscience, the Goddess of Wisdom went on to explain exactly *why* he personally needed to know everything that there was about war. She told him about the prophecy and about Rome and about conquering the world. She explained how Zeus wanted Rome to act as a protector of Greece without the Romans realizing just what they were doing. Greece would be eternal, but Rome would rise and fall if they did their tasks correctly.

It was too much. Too much to learn, too much responsibility, too much guilt. He didn't trust himself not to fail. He didn't understand the vast complexities of what he needed to know. He didn't think he'd ever be able to channel the massive amounts of mortal aggression without being swept into that dark tide of ever flowing hatred and anger.

So, losing hope, Hercules cried, beaten and broken.

 

path'emata math'emata (9.)


"It *hurts* dammit! I can't be doing this right if it hurts."

Strife scowled at his uncle Hercules for a long moment and then snorted. "Ya think? Well, guess what? You're *wrong*!"

A blank look of confusion was his only answer and he threw up his hands and rolled his eyes. "Ya not real bright, are ya?" Hercules scowled. "Listen up an' pay attention this time. Has *anythin'* you've done since ya got Unc' Ares Sword felt good?"

The puzzled look on Hercules' face held for a moment until a look of slowly dawning understanding and then panic began to take it's place. Strife smirked and nodded. "That's right. Nothin' has. Ya not happy, ya not pleased, ya not satisfied. All ya are is pissed, angry an' hungry for somethin' ya can't quite name. Right?"

Hercules nodded, a frightened look in his eyes. Strife's smirk grew. "Welcome ta the wonderful world of bein' a war god. All of us war gods are the same way. It comes from them damn mortals ya love so much." A slight tinge of manic glee lit up Strife's eyes. "An' ya think it's bad now? Just wait till me, Mom an' Enyo stop dividing up the strain of keepin' it easy on ya. See, Unc' Ares was the Head of the House of War an' he took the brunt of all the hate an' anger an' violence that your precious mortals generate. We been takin' up the slack since ya whacked Unc'. Once the Big Z puts ya in charge around here, ya gonna be the one ta do that an' it's gonna hit ya in the head like a hammah."

Strife began pacing around, his pale eyes never leaving Hercules. "An' *yeah*, it hurts. It'll keep on hurtin' an' it'll nevah stop. Every time ya tap inta all that hate an' aggression, it'll rip through ya mind an' ya body an' ya soul. Too freakin' bad, get used ta it. I did. Mom did. Enyo did. And so did Unc' Ares."

Strife stopped his pacing and pushed his face into Hercules' own. "An' *no*, ya can't just let it sit there doin' nothin'. Ya *have* ta use it cause ya got a job ta do. An' ya *will* do that job or I'll kill ya myself."

And with that, Strife tapped into the wellspring of human hatred, human misery and the human urge to cause as much trouble as possible and summoned a large sizzling ball of blazing energy. Then, with the swiftness that was his trademark, he flung it directly at Hercules and then disappeared from sight. He knew that his energy blast wouldn't kill Hercules, but it would leave him coated in the emotions that formed it; hatred, mischief and mayhem.

With a high pitched giggle, Strife faded into visibility across the room and watched as Hercules unsuccessfully tried to wipe the sensation of Strife's power off of himself. "Ya not fast enough, Jerkules. Ya shoulda been able to either dodge that or deflect it. An' I'll let ya in on a little secret. Ya don't wanna let yourself get hit by one of Mom's energy blasts. Her's will coat ya with hate, pain an' chaos. Feels like poisonous slime on ya skin."

Hercules finally shed the last of the residual energy. "This sucks."

Strife giggled again. "Yeah, I know. Been there an' done that. But ya know what? Ya don't have a lotta time ta learn, here. An' most people learn fastest on the pain scale. The more it hurts, the faster ya learn."

Hercules scowled. "That's not true and you know it."

Strife just laughed harder. "Are ya nuts? Ya can tell a kid a hundred times not ta climb the big apple tree, but he won't listen until he falls out an' breaks his arm doin' it."

With a snort, Hercules pointed at Strife. "I'm not a child."

Strife smirked and nodded his head. "Yeah ya are. Ya only, what? Thirty somethin'? That's way young. Ya the youngest God on Olympus an' ya ain't all that old for a mortal neither. Bliss has more control than ya do an' he's still technically a baby." Strife glared at him for a moment and then shook his head. "Ya got the skills, but ya don't got the control down yet. Ya can't afford ta take the time ta think about every more ya make. Ya have ta be able ta do this stuff on instinct. See the danger an' react immediately. If ya don't, it'll get ya killed."

Seeing the blank look on Hercules' face Strife sighed. "Don't ya get it? Ya a member of the House of War now. All them Gods ya spent the last few years pissin' off? They don't have ta play nice wit'cha no more. And *no one* likes the House of War. With the exception of the House of Love, ya can start considerin' every person on Olympus an' in the Mortal Realm as your enemy."

Hercules blanched. "It doesn't have to be that way."

Strife snorted. "Yeah it does. All that hate and anger and violence that ya gettin' from everyone? Well, that's *all* ya evah gonna get from them. Hatred. Anger. Violence. That's ya new world. An' that's all it'll evah be."

Strife watched as realization slowly sank into Hercules' mind. He watched as horror and true understanding washed over the new God, nearly drowning him in terror. Strife could almost feel pity for him. Almost.

 


anathema sit (10.)


She had thought long and hard on this and she was certain that her plan would work. At first she had been stumped with how to proceed when Ares flat out refused to allow himself to be resurrected into his old body. Then, she had been confounded when those closest to her refused to strike out against that interloper Hercules. She didn't let that stop her, however. She thought and worked and schemed until she figured out a way to get what she wanted. And there were only two things that she wanted. One, she wanted her baby back and alive. Two, she wanted Hercules to be formally punished.

She had despaired on how to do that. As a God, he could not be killed because of the laws in place and her own Godhood did not lend towards vengeance very well. Then, she realized that she could combine both her need for Ares to be returned to her with her need to punish Hercules. If Ares refused to be resurrected into his dead body, then she would create a new one for him to inhabit as a brand new God and the punishment for Hercules would be to carry his greatest enemy under his heart until Ares was ready to be reborn.

She was careful in crafting her plans and she went to great pains to make certain that everything was perfect. The focus for the spell to create the new body for Ares she created from Ares' own children. From his eldest child, Cupid, she plucked a single pristine white tail feather. From his middle child, Enyo, she snipped a lock of raven black hair. And from his youngest child, Harmonia, she captured a single tear from her sorrow ravaged eyes. With the greatest precision, she wove her power around these three things and bespelled them to do her bidding.

Once she was certain that all was in readiness, Hera took the spell she had crafted and appeared in the Halls of War before Hercules. Her eyes blazed with righteous anger and her bearing was proud.

"Hear me, O Olympus. I Hera, Queen of the Gods do hereby punish Mars the Defender, God of Righteous War for the death of Ares, God of Cruel War and Random Violence." With that, Hera charged the totem in her hand with a shimmering aura of power and threw it at him.

Her aim was true and the blazing ball of energy and matter slammed into Hercules' chest. Instead of coating his body like the blasts he had exchanged with Strife during his practice sessions, this one sunk deep beneath his skin. With a cry of pain, Hercules wrapped his arms around his middle and sank to his knees.

Hera's voice rang out across Olympus once again. "Soon will Ares be reborn from the flesh of his murderer. I, Hera, do hereby charge Mars with the eternal task of protecting and caring for Ares as his Father!"

Hercules looked up at her in shock, his mouth hanging open wide in wordless protest. In a flash of blinding light and a deafening clap of thunder, Zeus appeared between them, his face a mask of anger. "What have you done?!"

Hera sneered at him, but before she could answer, the Three Fates appeared once more. As before when Ares had been killed, they stood wearing their ceremonial black robes. All three spoke as one, their voices merging and melding into a single choral voice.

"So it has come to pass that Ares' spirit has been set onto the path of his true destiny. A new God shall be born of War, one who's very presence shall forever change and altar Olympus. He shall pave the way to they future and save us all. He shall be called Ares no more, but hailed as Pax."

Hera turned pale, her anger and self-righteousness knocked out of her. "Pax?"

But the Fates didn't answer her, instead they disappeared in a swirl of rainbow colored energy sparkles and a billowing cloud of smoke. Turning back, she watched in confusion as Zeus' rage transformed into a smile.

"Yes, my dear. Pax. Thanks to you, Peace shall come to Olympus and the Gods will be truly united as one."

 

avito viret honore (11.)


Aphrodite watched as Hercules settled his large and awkward bulk onto his throne. Ever since Hera had forced this pregnancy upon him, she had been at his side. Like all three of her children with Ares, Hercules' unborn child was winged. No one knew if those wings would be white like Cupid's, raven black like Enyo's or the deep pinkish red like Harmony's. They might even be a different color altogether. In any case, Aphrodite was the only one who had any experience with this type of birth and she had been gently walking Hercules through it step by step.

Unlike her own pregnancies, however, Hercules' was moving swiftly. Ares was growing by leaps and bounds and it wouldn't be long before he was ready to be reborn as Pax. Once that happened, other events would take place in rapid succession. Hercules would be promoted to the Head of the House of War and would officially change his name to Mars, for one. The Fates weren't willing to tell anyone what the other events would be, only that they would forever transform Olympus. Many people were nervous.

But not Hercules. Aphrodite had expected him to be the worst of them between the influx of continuous aggression through the Sword of War and the strange and unasked for child resting under his heart. Instead, the former demigod was quiet and serene, often found relaxing with a dreamy expression on his face and his hands gently rubbing over his swollen middle.

He had confided to her that he had been very upset and frightened at first, but by the third day of his pregnancy, Ares had been formed enough inside of his body so that he could mentally communicate with Hercules. A smile drifted over her beautiful face as she recalled the wonder and awe lighting his eyes when he told her.

Apparently, when Ares had first taken up the Sword of War, it spoke to him. It told him that he was not it's final master, that another would come in the fullness of time and that Ares would then fulfill his true destiny. Ares had assumed that it meant that he would one day set aside Zeus as the ruler of Olympus and pass on the Sword of War to his own son or daughter. When Enyo was born, that assumption was all but confirmed to Ares' way of thinking. However, when Hercules was born, the Sword of War spoke to him again and told him that he would die, bereft of it's protection.

This had, obviously, upset and angered the War God, so he had gone to see the Fates. Ares told Hercules that the Fates had assured him that his death must happen and that it would end his life, but mark the beginning of his true destiny. And while Hercules didn't say anything specific to her, she had a feeling that Hercules' guilt at murdering his own brother had melted away now that he was giving the God a chance at rebirth. Aphrodite also had the feeling that Ares had taken the time to teach Hercules the best way to channel all that aggression and anger. After all, he *did* have two millennia worth of experience at it. In fact, when Hercules was communing with his unborn child, he was the most mellow and compliant person that Aphrodite had ever seen.

Smiling softly, she watched him as he absent-mindedly rubbed circles into his huge stomach. Then, without any warning, Hercules sucked in a deep breath and clutched at his swollen middle. "Pax? What was that?" A quiet pause and that look she recognized as Hercules mentally communicating with Ares. "Now? Ares, are you sure?"

One of her sculpted golden eyebrows shot up as Hercules turned to face her and smiled. "'Dite? It's time. Pax is ready to be born."

With a soft squeal of excitement, Aphrodite hopped up from the pink chair that she had been sitting on. "Are you sure?"

Hercules nodded, a silly smile of happiness on his face. Aphrodite smiled back and nodded her head. "Okay. Make sure that he understands what you're going to do. Now, I want you to slowly shift into your true godly form of pure energy. That will also shift Ares into energy. Then, step back and separate yourself from him. When I count to three, you will shift back into solid form and so will he. Don't worry, I will be right here to gather Ares into my arms. He will not be hurt. I promise you both."

Hercules nodded. "Okay, and we trust you. In fact, you are the only one that we both trust to do this for us."

Aphrodite smiled at Hercules and nodded. She understood. Despite the fact that Ares would be reborn as Pax, God of Peace and Tranquility, many still thought of him as Ares, God of Cruel War. They feared his rebirth and the changes that he would bring to Olympus. Many did not wish his return to happen at all.

Then Hercules sucked in another deep breath and bent over his stomach at an awkward angle even as his chuckled through the pain. "Okay, okay, Pax. I get the picture little one. Be calm, I'll do it."

Hercules offered up a rueful smile to Aphrodite and she grinned back. "Okay. Just...let yourself drift, Hercules. As if you were about to fall asleep, comfortable and warm, safe and loved. Let yourself go and be free."

Slowly, Hercules' form began to shimmer and waver. Then, his physical body broke apart and dissolved into a cascade of glimmering red sparkles and a pulsating bright light. In the very middle of Hercules' true form was another smaller ball of shimmering light. It was pale blue with silver undertones and it was beautiful, so very beautiful.

"Okay, Herc. Step back."

Slowly, the pulsing red light moved away from the smaller shimmering blue light. Stepping forward, Aphrodite carefully wrapped her arms around the smaller light. Her skin tingled with raw pleasure and happiness everywhere it touched her and she gasped as tears of joy ran freely from her eyes. "Oh...okay. Get ready to return to solid form. One...two...three."

Twin flashes of bright light lit up the throne room to the Halls of War. Then, Mars was back in his solid form, a soft and loving expression on his face. And in her arms was Pax, a beautiful infant with raven dark hair and silvery blue wings. With a flex of her power, she swathed the infant God in pristine white cloth. He didn't cry and he didn't fuss, he merely looked up at her with too wise dark eyes and smiled.

Mars walked over and rested on large hand on her shoulder and leaned over her to gaze down at his infant son. "Hail Pax. Welcome little one. How are you feeling?"

The infant didn't speak aloud, but his calm dark eyes shifted to his father's face. After a brief pause, Mars frowned slightly. "Hungry, huh? Well, I'm not certain how..."

Aphrodite giggled softly and then cooed at the infant in her hands. "I'll take care of it. Technically, I'm Pax's grandmother since he was formed from all three of my children." Turning, she walked back over to her pink chair. A soft muted flash of her power removed the top half of her gown. Gently, she shifted Pax so that she could nurse him at her breast. Mars glanced at her questioningly. "I have been preparing for this ever since you asked me to deliver you of him. I knew immediately that you could not, so I will. As I said, Pax is my grandchild." She gazed down into the too wise infant face. "And I love him."

It didn't take long for Pax to finish his first meal. Unlike most infants that fall asleep after they eat, Pax began to grow. Within moments, he was two years old...and hungry again. So, Aphrodite pushed down her surprise and held him to her other breast and fed him again. She and Mars traded expressions of hope and happiness, even if they were startled by the child's amazing speed of growth. "I haven't seen any child grow this quickly since Apollo was born."

Mars chuckled and ran one hand down Pax's head lovingly as he finished his second meal. Once again, the new God of Peace began to grow. After several moments, he was about the age of six. Turning his head, Pax looked up at his father. "Please, Mars. I need Ambrosia."

The God of War snapped his fingers and a golden bowl of glowing ambrosia floated in the air before his child. With a grin, Pax carefully grabbed it out of the air and tipped it up to his lips and began to eat. As he ate the nourishing godly food, he began to grow once again. Taller and taller, broader of frame and shoulder, until he finally stood before them a man. He appeared identical to his original form of Ares with the exception of his silvery blue wings.

Then he turned to face his father once more, "Hail Mars, God of War and my Father, once known as Hercules." Pax then turned to face Aphrodite, "Hail Venus, Goddess of Love and Beauty, my *true* Mother, once known as Aphrodite, Goddess of Love and Jealousy."

Aphrodite gasped as Pax raised one hand to her head. A silvery glowing light washed over her and she could feel the cruel pull of jealousy and betrayal fall away from her soul and leave in it's place only beauty and light, love and hope. It was amazing. She didn't even notice the tears of joy that spilled down her cheeks.

Then, Pax waved his hand and clothed himself in robes of snowy white. A crown of olive branches settled upon his raven locks and a serene smile of joy and tranquility lit up his face.

Peace had finally come to Olympus

 


amabilis insania (12.)


Pax walked out of the Halls of War with his birth father and his chosen mother behind him. Mars guarded and protected him even as Venus sent waves of love and happiness out to gather other's near. Unseen to all but him were the Three Fates who silently followed him as he began his destiny. As he came upon the great open field in the middle of Olympus, he paused and looked deep within himself. He wasn't nervous, frightened or worried. The task before him was huge, but he felt only peacefulness and calm. As he stood there contemplating what he must do, two doves flew down out of the sky and perched upon his broad shoulder and cooed in his ear. Finally, he raised his head and called forth to his family.

"I am Pax and I forgive you all the wrongs that you have all done. I love you and I wish you only the best. For you, I have only blessings."

And as his family began to pour out of the surrounding Temples, Pax let his power loose so that his blessings could wash over them. It appeared to the naked eye as a ring of silvery blue energy that held Pax at it's epicenter. As the ring of energy grew and expanded, it washed over all that came near, effecting them, sinking into them, changing them forever as they finally knew peace at long last. When the wash of power began to fade away, the Three Fates faded into view in a shower of rainbow sparkles.

"Hail Pax, God of Peace and Tranquility. Long has Olympus awaited your arrival and the transformations that you have just wrought."

Then, as one, the Fates turned and began gesturing to each God or Goddess in turn, announcing their new title under the era of Peace.

"Hail Jupiter, God of the Sky and King of Olympus, once known as Zeus. Hail Juno, Goddess of Family and Queen of Olympus, once known as Hera. Hail Ceres, Goddess of Fertility and Corn, once known as Demeter. Hail Diana, Goddess of the Woods and of the Moon, once known as Artemis. Hail Faunus, God of the Wilderness, once known as Pan. Hail Neptune, God of the Sea, once known as Poseidon. Hail Orcus, God of the Underworld, once known as Hades. Hail Proserpina, Goddess of the Spring, once known as Persephone. Hail Victoria, Goddess of Victorious Battle and Sport, once known as Nike. Hail Minerva, Protector of Doctors, Philosophers and Scholars, once known as Athena. Hail Mercury, God of Messengers and Travelers, once known as Hermes. Hail Vulcan, God of Fire and Creativity, once known as Hephaistos. Hail Aesculapius, God of Medicine and Healing, once known as Ascleptius. Hail Somaus, God of Sleep and Dreams, once known as Hypnos. Hail Vesta, Goddess of Fire and Hearth, once known as Hestia. Hail Justice; Goddess of Honorable Laws and Punishment, once known as Enyo. Hail Lare, Guardian of the Home and Children, once known as Strife. Hail Penates, Protector of Material Wealth and Food Stores, once known as Eris."

Stunned silence followed that long declaration and in the middle of it all, Pax smiled upon his family, pleased with the changes that he had created. Now they were ready to truly move into the future. Those things both base and crude that had plagued them and tormented them were gone. Petty jealousy and cruel carelessness would no longer drive them to hurt each other. His presence was needed and this transformation of his family had been long overdue.

It was then that one God pushed his way through the crowd, a slight frown on his face. "Excuse me. I don't mean to sound like I'm whining, but why wasn't I given a new title? Don't I have a place in the reformed Pantheon which will rule over Rome?"

Pax turned and smiled at his blonde and shining brother. He stepped over to him and gently grasped the Sun God's hands in his own. "No, Apollo. I did not exclude you from my blessing, my brother. The Roman's will love you, just as you are. My blessing for you is quite different." With that, Pax leaned forward and placed a single kiss upon Apollo's golden brow. A wash of silvery blue light shimmered along the Sun God and settled under his skin.

Apollo shivered slightly and then frowned again. "What did you do? Not that it doesn't feel amazing, but...what happened?"

Pax smiled gently. "I gave you a child. In time, you shall give birth to my son and Heir. He shall be called Janus and he will be the God of Past, Present and Future. Janus will have two faces, one which looks toward the past and one which looks toward the future. Both success and failure will be under his rule, he will encompass both beginnings and endings, doorways and gateways will be sacred to him. He will embody my understanding of both war and peace and he will embody your understanding of time and space."

Apollo looked shocked. "Oh."

Pax just smiled at him serenely.

 

pax vobiscum (13.)


It had been a very odd week for Joxer. He had been traveling with Xena and Gabrielle for a while when he was hit with an inexplicable need to leave them and travel on his own. He couldn't understand it and he had tried to shrug it off, but that had been impossible. Finally, he had given into his urge to leave them and he felt an odd pull to the east. With many misadventures and more than a few bruises from falling down or tripping over tree roots, Joxer traveled eastward, always facing the rising sun.

After almost a week of walking, Joxer stumbled upon a strange forest in the vale of two sun dappled peaks. The forest itself seemed ordinary at first with its tall shady trees and its profusion of green plants and small furred animals scurrying through the underbrush. Birds sang beautiful trilling songs in the canopy overhead, however, that was one of the first things that caught Joxer's attention. He was, moreso than usual, feeling happy and relaxed. When that happened, he tended to either sing or whistle as he traveled. His noisy and somewhat clumsy passage normally frightened the birds into silence, but these birds merely sang along with him and fluttered about without a single care.

In fact, the further Joxer traveled into the wood, the more slightly odd things he noticed. Even the most skittish of animals seemed to be feeling brave and didn't dash off at his appearance. The air was unusually warm for this season and the breeze was scented with the perfume of flowers. It didn't bother him though, he was in the best mood he'd ever been in and he couldn't stop smiling.

Suddenly, the forest gave way to a small flower filled glade. In the very center of the glade was a shallow pool of clear water and beyond that an arch was built. Olive trees twined along the arch and shaded it with their leaves. Under the arch by the pool was a tall white robed man with raven black hair and feathered silvery blue wings. Joxer felt drawn to the man and stumbled out of the shadows and into the sunlight. At the sound of his clanking armor, the man turned and looked up at him. Joxer gasped, he knew that face.

"Ares?"

The man, or God, smiled and gestured him closer. "Once upon a time, yes. But no more am I Ares. I have been reborn and am now Pax."

Joxer was confused, but unafraid. Slowly, he walked closer to the winged God. "Pax?"

The God's smile grew and he nodded. "Yes, Joxer. I am now Pax, God of Peace. The being that you knew as Ares is dead. I was reborn because only one who knew War could truly become Peace."

Still strangely unafraid, Joxer walked up to the God who had once been Ares. Pax smiled at him. "Joxer, when I was still Ares, you were my most fervent worshiper. You asked only to survive, you never prayed for great strength or power or victory. Only to survive so that you could aid others. Your soul is untainted and unselfish. I ask now that you continue to follow me, only instead of following me into War, that you follow me into Peace. Will you, Joxer?"

For a long moment, Joxer looked deeply into the dark eyes of the God before him. Instead of seeing pain and suffering in their depths, he saw hope and redemption for all. Slowly and with great deliberation, Joxer pulled his bent and battered sword from its sheath. Then, with a smile growing upon his own lips, he laid it down at Pax's feet and let it go. When he stood up again, a shimmer of silvery blue energy washed over him. When it faded, he noticed that his armor was gone and in it's place was a pale blue robe with silver trim.

"Hail Joxer, High Priest of Peace and Tranquility."

 


~fini~

scorpiofic@aol.com
http://members.tripod.com/sentinel-cat/Scorpio

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Scorpio.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.