Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 33 of Watson , Part 9 of Irrational Fears
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
314
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,714

Classifications and Delusions

Summary:

Characters: Marshall Penfield, Colby/Charlie
Rating:
FRK, PG
Summary:
Colby learns more about Penfield.
Series: Irrational Fears
Word Count: 300
Disclaimer:
Not my characters (except when they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback:
Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my (needling) beta.

Work Text:

 

 

Classifications and Delusions
by Irena Adler

"Seriously?" Charlie asked. "You can classify this piece of paper?"

Colby nodded. "It shouldn't be too hard, with your security clearance and your NSA work. You might need to write a few more obvious things on the paper, but sure."

"Okay, then what?"

Colby frowned in confusion. "Then it's classified."

"And he can't publish it?"

"Not without risking jail and other serious repercussions."

"But that's after it's been published."

"Well, yeah, but ..."

Charlie slumped, looking as despondent as he had earlier. "So he'll go to jail, but not until after ruining my career."

Colby stared at him then managed, "He'd publish it knowing he'd go to jail? Does he really hate you that much?"

Charlie looked across the office to where Penfield was watching them with narrowed eyes. Charlie's eyes dropped, a gesture of defeat that made Colby's blood seethe.

"He hates me that much," Charlie said at last. "But that's not why he'd do it. He'd publish the work because he doesn't believe in academic secrets. Neither do I, actually, but this is more about privacy than secrecy."

"So he'd publish it to make a stand for freedom of speech?"

"I think that's how he'd justify it to himself and to whatever journal he uses." Charlie turned back to Colby, his brown eyes dark with anxiety. "But maybe he just really hates me that much."

"Even though he'd know he'd be going to jail."

Charlie shrugged. "I'm not sure he'd really believe that. He'd believe he'll be protected, that nothing would happen to him."

"Hmm ..." Anger at the conniving Penfield throbbed through Colby's veins. "He thinks nothing can happen to him?" He felt an unpleasant smile creep across his face and Charlie's eyes widened.

"Now that," Colby said softly, "Is an illusion I'd be happy to dispel."

end

Series this work belongs to: