Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
686
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,312

No More Chances

Summary:

Blair is back in the hospital

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

 

Thanks to Annie and Lyn for their encouragement and friendship. It was awesome meeting you last month or was it only the beginning of this month. Well, either way I miss you both terribly and so this one is for both of you. Annie, as usual thanks for the beta job. You always are such a good boost to my ego.


No More Chances
By EJKatz

Well, here we are once more. I have lost track of the number of times I have sat in almost this exact chair, waiting in almost this exact same position. Waiting for my partner to wake up. Waiting to know how my partner will be. Another case, another day in the ER.

This hospital has very competent staff who know us way too well. They already had the chair brought in by the time I got here. They know I won't leave him to wake on his own.

This time - this time is different. Oh, don't get me wrong, it is still a case and my partner still has a head wound, a concussion, and all that goes with being knocked out again. No, the differences are within me. I don't want to do this any more.

Do what, you ask? Well, for one thing, he'll wake up, I'll make some joke and he'll respond and then things will continue on the way they always have until the next time something like this happens and the cycle repeats itself. I don't want to do that anymore. I want off this cycle.

Again, don't get me wrong, I still want my partner by my side. I know he's still going to get hurt. He's a Trouble Magnet. Yes, with the capitals and everything. No, what I want is for us to pretend everything is just fine. That everything can go back to the way it was. So much has changed and I want to finally acknowledge those changes.

You see, six months ago, Blair died. Yes, DIED. Another, just like me. well, not like me, but another with enhanced senses; she killed my Guide, my partner. Somehow, I am not sure exactly how, but somehow I was able to bring him back, and even after that we joked about it and went back to being partners, to being Sentinel and Guide. But he's been hurt twice since that horrible day and I just can't continue to pretend any more.

Do you want to know what has changed? Of course you do. You see. I found out that I can't live without my partner. I always knew I couldn't live without my Guide but it is more than that now. I can't live without Blair. And what's more, I don't want to. I want to see his face as the last thing I see at night. I want to wake up every morning and see his face beside me for the rest of our lives. I want to wrap myself around him and give him every piece of me. Figured it out yet. Good, I just did also. I love him. With every fiber of my being I am in love with my best friend, partner, and Guide. I know he loves me too, and even if he doesn't love me that way, I want the cycle to change. I don't want to pretend that I don't love him - that way!

He needs to know that.

I need him to know that.

A moan from the bed brings my attention back to him as he moves slightly. His brow furrows from the headache he is probably feeling. The lump on the side of his head has gone down slightly, but his left eye is swollen and black from the impact of the piece of wood to his head. He is waking now.

I reach out and take his hand in mine. He turns in my direction slightly and his eyes flicker before slowly opening to meet mine.

It's long moments before either of us speak. And no surprise, it's him first. The words. they surprise me.

"I love you too, Jim."

End?

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author EJKatz.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.