Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-05-29
Words:
3,828
Chapters:
3/3
Comments:
3
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
4,248

Broken and Unbroken

Summary:

Pairing/Characters: Charlie/Colby, David, Will/Don
Rating: PG-13, FRK+
Story: Broken and Unbroken - My reinterpretation of the episode 'Breaking Point'
Part 1 - The Peace Shattered
The immediate aftermath of the attack on Charlie.
Spoilers: Breaking Point
Word Count: 1373
Disclaimer: Not my characters (unless they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Since only having three stories dangling wasn't enough ... *sigh* This is why I'm always behind on my episode viewing, they demand stories! This will be 5 or more parts. Thanks to my beta.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 - The Peace Shattered

Chapter Text

 

 

Broken and Unbroken
by Irena Adler

For Colby, the kidnapping of reporter Bonnie Parks was an ordinary if high profile case, until Charlie got attacked. True, Colby hadn't really liked Charlie's TV interview, just because he didn't like that many people to know about Charlie. Charlie had enough people wanting something from him as it was. Don was pretty pissed about the interview, but that was mostly because the AD came down on him. Otherwise, it was still business as usual - legwork, computer work, paperwork - until someone decided to make it personal.

Colby first found out that someone had attacked and shot at his lover from Don, not Charlie. That was probably just as well because it helped Colby stay in a work mode on the ride to the site.

But when he saw Charlie's bashed Prius and the gunshot hole in the driver's side window ...

Don freaked out first, barely stopping the SUV before running toward the ambulance. Colby peeked at Charlie - he looked okay and, with Don berating him, he didn't look like he'd appreciate another emotional agent. Colby gritted his teeth and turned to talk to the cop on the scene. His mind was still half on Charlie, though, when something the cop said got his full attention.

"Repeat that description, please?" Colby said in surprise. As the cop did, Colby was nodding his head. He knew the vehicle that had tried to kill Charlie. Or at least, he'd seen it earlier on the mall surveillance tape.

Bonnie Parks' kidnappers! Colby realized with a jolt. They're going after Charlie!

Colby swallowed his surge of fear and fell back on his role as an agent. When Don moved away from the ambulance, Colby let his boss know what he'd found out. David quickly came to the same conclusion that Colby had - the interview had put a target on Charlie's back. Why couldn't that have been me in the interview? There would be one less silver pickup on the road ...

They all looked over at Charlie who was grimacing in pain. Don nodded and said, "Well, I want someone on him, twenty-four seven."

Don turned to go back to Charlie, but Colby called out, "Obviously, I've got tonight."

Stopping, Don ran his hand over his face then nodded. Colby recognized it as permission to stop being an agent, for a few minutes, so he hurried over to where Charlie sat in the ambulance.

"Hey, Angel," he said. "Are you okay?"

Charlie looked at him grumpily. "Define `okay'."

Colby wanted to grab him and pull him into his arms, but didn't want to hurt him. "Do you need to go to the hospital?"

"I don't think so," Charlie said, lifting the ice pack and probing the lump on his head with his other fingers. "Just need to lay down."

"I'll take you home," Colby said, settling for putting a careful arm around Charlie's shoulders.

"In what car?" Charlie glared at his battered Prius. "I should have just driven into a cop station when I saw the truck again."

"It's hard to-wait, again?"

"Yeah," Charlie said, looking at the ground. "It chased me last night, too."

"What? Why didn't you tell me?"

Charlie shrugged then winced and returned the ice pack to his head. "I didn't want you to get all protective on me."

"Gee," Colby snapped. "Me being `protective' would have really been bad tonight."

Charlie gave him a sheepish look, one that Colby could never resist. "I know, it's just ... Amita and Larry said that I probably just ticked someone off with my lousy driving."

"Road rage usually doesn't lead to ..." With a flush of guilt, Colby remembered that Charlie had seemed jumpy last night, but it had been a long day and Colby had dismissed it, then this morning he'd forgotten all about it. This distracted morning could have been his last with Charlie. He shuddered and pulled Charlie tight against him. "Dammit, I hate it when people shoot at you."

"Me too," Charlie mumbled into Colby's shoulder.

"Hey," Don said quietly. He was standing nearby and Colby guessed that `personal time' was over.

Don continued, "I know you want to take Charlie home, but I need you come into the office - just for a few minutes."

"Why?" Colby demanded. "Charlie needs to go home and lay down and I'm not letting him out of my sight."

"Just for a few minutes. You know that surveillance video and we need to get the techs on trying to pull a license plate from that pickup."

"You couldn't see it," Colby snapped. "I was doing that, remember?"

"I know," Don said soothingly. "But I'm sure the techs would like a shot, now that we know which vehicle to concentrate on. Great catch, there."

"But Charlie-"

"I'll call Will to come get him and take him home, okay? You'll be home with Charlie before you know it."

Colby glared at him, annoyed that Don was talking to him like a child, but, then again, he was feeling like throwing a Nena-worthy tantrum.

Don waited silently until Colby sighed and nodded. He knew Don was right, but he still wanted to stay with Charlie.

He gave Charlie a gentle kiss on the head and said, "Call Will."

Will was dozing in front of a rerun of The A-Team - he'd always had a weakness for Face - and about to give up on Don coming home any time soon, when his phone rang. To be specific, it played `One Safe Place' by Mark Cohn and Will smiled, muted the TV, and answered with a "Hey babe! Coming home?"

Don's response was terse. "Charlie's been in an accident."

Will sat bolt upright, startling Monster from his lap. "Is he okay?"

"Just a little bruised and shaken up. Actually, it wasn't an accident - he was ran off the road then shot at."

"Shit!"

"Yeah," Don agreed tightly. "I need you to do something."

"Tell me," Will said, already turning off the TV and hunting for his shoes.

"Come to the scene and take Charlie home - we're near the corner of Morningbird Lane and Cherry Avenue. His Prius is smashed. This is triple duty - First, get Charlie settled at home with some pain meds and keep an eye on him for concussion. Second, make sure Dad doesn't freak out."

"I'll try," Will said wryly. He slipped his tennis shoes on and grabbed his car keys. Shifting the phone to his other ear, he gave Monster an apologetic pat.

Don continued, "Third, Charlie's been targeted, you need to keep him safe."

"I will. Who's after him?"

"Best guess is Bonnie Parks' kidnappers."

Will groaned. "That damn interview."

"Yeah ..."

"Think they're trying to scare him, kidnap him or kill him?"

"Don't know."

"Right. Pick up Charlie, keep Alan calm, and keep Charlie safe. What about Colby?"

"I need him to come into the office - he thinks he recognizes the description of the attacker's car."

Will grimaced. "Is he okay?"

"You know Colby," Don said. "Soldiering on."

"Yeah ..." Will clipped his gun and his badge to the belt. "See you over at Charlie's later?"

"Save a spot on the couch for me."

"No way," Will said. "Nena's with her mom so you can sleep in her bed, with her army of stuffed animals."

"Gotta be more comfortable than sleeping with you."

"Probably," Will said, and satisfied that he'd lightened Don's mood at least slightly finished the call with, "See you soon."

Don hung up and Will slid the phone into his pocket. He swore under his breath. He knew that Don was going to be a menace to himself and any possible suspects until they got this case solved and Charlie's `accident' avenged.

Will paused with his hand on the doorknob. But Colby ... how was he going to react? He'd known Colby for a while, yet still couldn't predict him. Colby was no longer restricted by being a counter-agent, but Will didn't know if that meant he'd handle Charlie being shot at with more calm or less. With Charlie undoubtedly shaken up and Don and Colby both out for blood, it was going to be a rough time. Will shook his head, shut the door and hurried to his car.

end part 1