Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,769
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,204

Jim's Surprise2

Summary:

This story takes place about 1 year after "Jim's Surprise". Jim has taken some of the inheritance Susan left him and bought a cabin about 30 minutes outside Cascade. Because of Dylan's IQ score, he has been enrolled into a private school that allows children to learn at their own pace�they also have an awesome after school program that accommodates Jim and Blair's schedules.

 

Work Text:

Jim, Blair and Dylan were just finishing dinner when Blair remembered something. "Jim?"

"Yeah Chief?"

"Would it be a problem for you to pick Dylan up from school tomorrow?"

"Don't see one. Why?"

"Well, there's a new anthropology exhibit opening at the Museum and I've been invited for a sneak preview."

"A new exhibit? Can I come?" Dylan said excitedly.

Blair smiled. He sometimes forgot how intelligent Dylan was and how much interest he had in anthropology. He squatted down to Dylan's level. "Sorry buddy. It's for Anthropology professors and their assistants. I'll take you when it opens later this month."

"But I want to go!" Dylan yelled angrily as he stomped his foot.

Jim saw a tantrum in the making and decided to stop it before it began. "Dylan! You can't go. It's a special showing of the exhibit and only a few people are allowed to see it before it opens." He said firmly. " Now, go on upstairs and take your bath. It's almost bed time."

"No! It's not fair! I OW!"

"That's enough." Jim said as he slapped Dylan's behind. "Now, unless you want more than that one swat, I suggest you get your tail up those stairs and into the bathtub. Go!"

Dylan took the hint and angrily made his way towards the stairs. We he was far enough away from his father's `swatting range' he said over his shoulder, "Still don't see why I cant go!"

"Dylan! That's it" Jim started to say but Dylan was already halfway up the steps. "Keep it up boy" he muttered under his breath then continued to clean up the kitchen. He saw Blair smiling. "What?"

"Nothing man, nothing."

<><><><><><>

"Dylan! Get a move on; you'll be late for school. I'm not going to call you again."

Dylan heard his father call him for the third time. "I said I was coming!" He yelled back testily as he made his way down the stairs.

"I didn't just hear that, did I?"

Dylan heard the warning in that voice. "No, Sir."

"I didn't think so. Sit down and eat your breakfast." Jim said as he put a plate of eggs and bacon in front of him.

20 minutes later, Dylan, Jim and Blair were on their way towards Cascade. "Dad, do I have to go to school today? Why can't I go with Uncle Blair to the new exhibit?"

"Dylan, we've been through this before. You can't go with Blair because it's a closed exhibit. That's the end of it."

"But"

Jim stopped at the traffic light and glared at Dylan. "Enough! Keep it up and you can spend the evening in your room. That what you want?"

"No, Sir." Dylan said quietly. //What I want is to go to the exhibit. It's not fair! //

"Dylan," Blair said. "I told you, once the exhibit opens to the public, I'll take you there. All right buddy?"

"Fine. Whatever." He replied petulantly.

Jim cleared his throat, grabbing Dylan's attention. His father gave him the `this is your last warning' look. Dylan knew what he wanted him to do so he turned to Blair. "Sorry, Uncle Blair."

Jim turned into Tanner Academy and cut the engine. He grabbed Dylan's chin and forced him to make eye contact. He knew his son was going to try something today, and he had a feeling he knew what that was. "I expect you to be here when I come to pick you up."

"Yes, Sir. I will." He hugged Jim and Blair, hopped out of the truck and ran into the school.

"He's up to something." Blair stated.

"I know." Jim agreed.

<><><><><><>

Dylan sat nervously at his desk. He hoped his plan was going to work. If it didn't, he would be in BIG trouble. The bell rang, signaling the lunch hour. //It's now or never. //

He grabbed his lunch and jacket and went out the door. No one questioned him since it was not uncommon for him to eat outside. He went to the side of the building, listened and looked for any sign he was being watched then quietly slipped outside the gates. Luckily, the bus route that went to the Museum ran near the school. He hopped on the bus and gratefully sank down into the seat.

<><><><><><>

Blair was listening to the speaker intently when something caught his eye. //Damn that kid// He moved quietly behind Dylan. "Ahem."

Dylan jumped and spun around. //Shit. // "Uh, hi Uncle Blair. Funny seeing you here."

Blair arched his eyebrow. "Is it? I don't think your dad is going to see it that way." He grabbed Dylan's hand and pulled him towards a row of chairs. "SIT. I'll be right back."

<><><><><><>

Jim had just come back from lunch with Simon when his phone rang. "Ellison."

"Jim? This is Rachel, Blair's friend from Tanner Academy. We have a little problem."

Jim sighed heavily. "What's wrong?"

"Well" Rachel hesitated. "It seems Dylan didn't come back from lunch. We've looked everywhere"

"Don't worry," Jim interrupted. "I know exactly where he is."

"You do? Where?"

"You know that exhibit that Blair was invited to?" Jim knew she did, after all she and Blair were datingsort of.

"He didn't?"

"Yes, I'm pretty sure he did. I'll take care of it. Please let his teacher know he won't be back this afternoon."

<><><><><><>

Blair had just finished explaining what had happened to Dr. Stoddard when his cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Sandburg, it's me. Dylan left school and is on his way to the Museum. I'm "

"He's already here Jim." Blair interrupted.

"He is? Good, keep him with you. I'm on my way."

"Sure thing, Jim."

<><><><><><>

Dylan sat in the chair and waited. He knew he was in deep shit. //I'm like sooo dead. What possessed me to do this? // He dropped his head into his hands and groaned. "Dad's going to kill me." He said to no one in particular.

"You got that right."

Dylan's head snapped up. "H-H-Hi dad? Wh-Wha- what are you doing here?" Dylan stuttered.

"Might ask you the same thing." Jim glared at his son as he grabbed his hand. "Let's go, you've got some explaining to do."

They made a quick stop to let Blair know they were leaving then headed home.

Jim didn't say a word on the way back to the cabin. Dylan saw his jaw tighten and could feel the anger rolling off him in waves. // Might as well die right now and spare him the trouble of killing me. //

<><><><><><>

Jim pulled into the drive and cut the engine. He turned his steely gaze to Dylan. "Room. Now."
Dylan jumped out the truck and ran up to his room like the devil himself was after him.

Jim went into the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of water. He threw himself into a chair at the table and attempted to calm down. Images of what could have happened to Dylan flew through his head. He slammed the bottle down on the table in anger. //Okay Jim, pull it together. Calm down. You need to calm down before you can address this with Dylan. Deep breaththat's it. Breathe//

Jim let a small laugh escape. //Figures I'd hear Blair's voice in my head instead of my own. Goes to show you how many times he had to calm me down. // After a few minutes, Jim felt ready to deal with his son. He got to his feet and made his way to Dylan's room.

<><><><><>

Dylan was sitting on his bed when Jim walked in to his room. "Dylan, look at me."

Dylan raised his head.

"Why?" Jim asked, knowing Dylan would know what he was referring to.

"I don't know dad. I just wanted to see the exhibit."

"Even though both me and Blair said you couldn't go?"

"Yes, sir."

"And exactly how did you get there?"

Dylan winced. His dad was NOT going to like this. "I ummwell, ya see I sorta took the bus."

"WHAT? The bus stop is 6 blocks from your school. Do you know how dangerous that was? And the bus? By yourself? Anything could have happened to you." Jim paused and took a calming breath. "How did you get in to the building?"

//Oh, manthis is getting worse by the second// "UhhI kinda just went through the side entrance." Dylan hedged.

"Through the side entrance, huh? Since I happen to know they left that locked and alarmed, mind telling me how you did that?"

"Well, that's a long story dad. You really don't want me to"

"Dylan!" Jim was losing his patience quickly.

"Okay, okay." Dylan held his hands up attempting to calm his dad. "Sheese. I overrode the security code, which, I might add, was way to easy, and then picked the lock."

Jim rubbed his eyes wearily. Sometimes having a genius for a child was too much. "All right. I'm not even going to ask you how you did that. However, you knew what you were doing was wrong...and against the law, I might add. Didn't you?"

"Yes, Sir." Dylan replied. "But I wouldn't have had to if Uncle Blair would have just taken me with him." He added petulantly.

"Dylan! You are not in the position to give me attitude, so I suggest you drop it."

"Sorry, sir." Dylan noticed his dad trying to control his temper. He knew he was in big trouble, so after a few seconds of silence, decided to find out exactly what his dad was going to do to him. "Are you going to punish me?"

Jim gave his son an angry glare. "What do you think?" He sat down on the bed and called Dylan to his side. "We've been here before, you know the drill."

Dylan steeled himself, lowered his jeans and briefs and bent over his dad's knee.

SMACK. "What are you being punished for?"

"OUCH! For leaving school and going to the museum."

SMACK.SMACK. "What else?"

"OW! OHHH! For picking the lock and over riding the security alarm."

SMACK. SMACK. " We will not have this conversation again. Am I understood?"

"OW! OUCH! Yes Sir, I understand." Dylan managed to get out between sobs.

Jim gave him five more smacks, then stood him up and helped him rearrange his clothes. He pulled Dylan into a hug. When Dylan's sobs stopped, he pulled him back and gave him a reassuring smile. "No more 007 stuff, all right?"

Dylan returned the smile. "Yes, Sir."

<><><><><><>
Two nights later

Jim, Blair and Dylan were just getting ready to watch a movie when there was a knock at the door. Blair answered it. "Mom! What are you doing here?"

"Blair, honey!" Naomi said as she gave Blair a big hug. "God, I can't believe it's been over a year since I've see you." She hugged him again. "Now, where is that darling boy you're been telling me about in all your letters?"

Blair led Naomi into the family room. "Where's Dylan?" he asked Jim after he and Naomi greeted each other.

"Bathroom."

"Well, in that case, did you"

His question was cut off when Dylan returned to the room.

"Omi?"

Naomi's hands flew to her mouth. "Pup? Is that you?"

Dylan flung himself into Naomi's outstretched arms. "Oh, Omi. I missed you."

"I missed you too, Pup. I missed you too."

Jim and Blair stood back and watched the reunion unfold.

Naomi pulled Dylan to the couch and sat him on her lap. She could see the questions in Jim and Blair's eyes. "I had no idea that Blair was referring to the same boy I helped birth 8 years ago." She gave Blair a worried glance. " If I had any inkling, I would have said something."

"Dylan, why don't you go to your room while me and your dad and Uncle Blair talk a little." She saw he was ready to protest and quickly added "I'll call you as soon as we're through and spend the rest of the evening with you. Okay?"

Dylan reluctantly nodded and headed towards the stairs. He was surprised when Blair followed him. When they got to his room, Blair pulled out the white noise generator, switched it on and sat it on the desk.

"Awww, Uncle Blair"

"Don't `Awww Uncle Blair'me. I know you have a hard time NOT listening in on other people's conversations." Blair had no idea what Naomi was going to say, so he didn't want to chance Dylan overhearing something he shouldn't. "This is to remain on until I come up to get you. Understand?"

"But"

"Need I remind you what happened last time you turned it off after I told you not to?"

Dylan squirmed at the memory. It was the only time Blair spanked him. He definitely didn't want a repeat. "No, you don't need to remind me. I wont turn it off. I promise."

Blair pulled Dylan into a hug. "Good. I'll be back in a little bit."

<><><><>

Naomi looked at Blair and Jim sitting on the couch waiting for her explanation. She took a deep breath and began her story.

"I met up with Susan about 2 months before she had Dylan. She had come into the commune with a broken soul in need of healing. She wouldn't talk to any of us unless she had to. After a few weeks I managed to get her to talk to me."

(FLASHBACK)

"Susan, what's the matter? You know you can trust us, don't you?" Naomi didn't receive a response.

"Come on honey, everything will be much better if you just let it out." She heard a muffled sob and embraced Susan. "Shhhthere now. Let it all out."

Susan had finally calmed enough to talk. "Oh, Naomi. What am I going to do? I'm 7 months pregnant and the baby's father is MIA somewhere in South America. How can I raise this child alone?"

"Oh child, haven't you figured out you are not alone. You will never be alone again if you just let people in. Everyone here wants to help you. They can see your hurting. Give them a chance and things will work out. I promise."

" How can you be so sure?"

"The signs are right. You and your child are going to be just fine."

(END FLASHBACK)

"Two months later, Dylan was born. He was a beautiful baby, with crystal blue eyes. A couple years after he was born, Susan became sick. She held on for as long as she could, but it wasn't to be. None of us knew who Dylan's father was. I know she had pictures and had showed them to Dylan, but no one else ever saw them. She constantly told Dylan about him though. I guess she wanted to make sure he knew who his father was, even if no one else did. I remember one time, just after she got sick, she was crying, saying that she didn't know what she was going to do with Dylan after she died. Suddenly little Dylan came over, looked her in the eye, and said `Don't worry Mama, Daddy will take care of me'."

"Next thing I know, she asked me to watch Dylan and went to town. She came back a week later and made us all promise that after she died, we'd contact her lawyer. She told us he would take care of Dylan until his father was found. She died 2 weeks later. I waited for the lawyer to come get Dylan, then left for India." She gave a pleading look to Jim. "I swear if I had known Dylan was your son, I would have told you the first time I met you."

Jim stood up and put his arms around Naomi. "It's okay, I understand. I'm just glad you were there for Susan and Dylan." Jim continued to hold her in his embrace.

Blair watched for a few seconds before breaking his silence. "Uh, Jim? That's my Mom."

"I know, and what a wonderful woman she is." He gave her a lingering kiss on the cheek. "So, Naomi, you hungry?"

"Famished!"

"Chief, why don't you go spring Dylan so he can spend time with Naomi."

Blair blinked twice, trying to get the image of Jim kissing his Mom out of his head.

"Chief?"

"Huh? Oh, right. Dylan." He said and headed for Dylan's room.

"That was positively evil, Jim." Naomi said with a laugh.

Jim gave her one of his breath taking smiles. "It was, wasn't it?"

END