Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
12,438
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,166

Jim's Surprise

Summary:

Jim finds out he has a son

Work Text:

For Army Ranger Jim Ellison, this was one of the worst days of his life. For once, he didn't want to go on a mission. He finally met the girl of his dreams and now he had to tell her he had to leave. He was meeting her in about 5 minutes and he didn't know how he was going to tell her. She looked so beautiful when she walked into the restaurant. He figured he best thing to do was tell her straight out.

Susan Montgomery knew something was wrong the minute she walked in the restaurant. See could see it on Jim's face. As she sat down, she looked him in the eye. "Jim, what's wrong? You look like you just heard the Army Rangers were going `new age'" Susan said.

Jim wasn't surprised; it was just like Susan to be so blunt. "It's much worse. I have to leave tonight. Please don't ask why, I won't be able to tell you."

Susan looked at him for a moment, and then realization dawned. "You have a `mission thing' don't you? I know, I know, you can't tell me. Can you at least tell me how long you'll be away?"

Jim looked away, trying to keep her from seeing how much this was killing him inside. "I'm sorry, I can't tell you that either. I want to, but you know how things are. I have to leave in a few hours. Are you going to be okay?"

"NO, I'm not going to be okay! But I guess by falling in love with an Army Ranger I'll have to get used to this. The only thing I ask is that we say goodbye properly."

With that, Susan stood, grabbed Jim's hand and pulled him out the door. It took Jim a few seconds to realize what she meant. With a feral grin, he drove them back to her apartment.
Once inside, she grabbed him by the collar and kissed him so hard and long he thought he never get the chance to breathe. He pulled her away, looked into her eyes and with a predatory gleam in his eye, he lifted her into him arms and when to the bedroom.

3 Months Later

`I can't believe thisnot now' Susan thought. She was standing in the bathroom looking at the `plus sign' on her pregnancy test. `What am I going to do. Jim's god knows where, and I am pregnant with his child'.

She decided to try to contact someone at the base that could maybe get a message to him. She hated to tell him that way, but she had no idea when he was coming back. She could just see his face if he came home when she was 9 months pregnant and didn't know.

Five hours and 25 phone calls later, she finally got a hold of someone willing to help her. She was told he would see what he could do and call her back. Two hours later, the sound of the phone wakes her from an unplanned nap.

"Hello."

"Ms. Montgomery?"

"Yes."

"This is Staff Sergeant Brown, I spoke to you a few hours ago regarding Captain Jim Ellison."

"Oh, yes. Did you manage to get a message to him?"

"Ms. Montgomery, I'm sorry, but Captain Jim Ellison has been MIA for 3 months"

That was the last thing she heard before darkness took over.

Seven Years Later

Detective Jim Ellison was having a nice normal day until the phone call he received a few minutes ago. `Did I hear right? What am I going to do' Jim thought. He realized he was holing his breath and let it out. Blair looked over at the sound.

"Is everything all right Jim?"

"Uh no, I don't think it is."

"What's wrong? Who was that?"

"Chief, I don't think you would believe me if I told you."

"Oh, come on Jim. Nothing you could tell me could possibly surprise me."

"I have a son."

"Oookay, except that."

"Yeah. I need to talk to Simon"

*

Jim proceeded to tell Simon and Blair what happened. He told them about Susan and how he had to leave her to go to Peru. He told them how after he was rescued he looked for her, but it was like she disappeared off the face of the earth. Not even his contacts could find her. He stopped talking, lost in thought.

"But Jim, what does this have to do with the phone call?" Blair prompted.

"I just received a call from a lawyer in Austin, Texas. I was told I have a son. His name is Dylan. Apparently, Susan found out she was pregnant while I was in Peru. When she heard that I was MIA she tried to get as much information as she could, but the Army wouldn't tell her anything. She didn't know what to do. She had no family, no one she could go to for help. About 2 months after she found out, she left and joined a group of new age hippies on a spiritual retreat.

"They became her family. They were there when Dylan was born and helped raise him. She never told them who his father was and they never asked. When she saw the Newsweek article she tried to find me but again, the Army wouldn't disclose my last place of residence. She searched for a while, but then found out she had cancer. She became so weak she had to stop looking. So, when she wrote out her will she said that when she died, her lawyer was to look for me. Once I was found, he was to send Dylan to live with me. Her lawyer was taken aback at that request, but Susan assured him that I would not deny Dylan. Which, of course, is true."

Simon and Blair looked at each other, then Jim. This was quite a bombshell. Jim has a son? This was way too much information at once.

"Jim, how do you know the child is yours?" Simon asked.

"Susan put my name on the birth certificate. She also wouldn't lie. I mean, I loved her and she loved me. When I came back from Peru I was planning to ask her to marry me." `Of course, things didn't go as planned' Jim thought regretfully. "Simon, I believe her. She had no reason to lie. She knew when I found out she had my child, I would do everything possible to be with him. I think she thought I would have some doubts, though, so she also put in her will that DNA testing would be done before Dylan came to live with me. In fact, Dylan's already has his part done. All I need to do is get my DNA typed and sent to the hospital in Austin to be matched. I'm going to leave now to get that done. I mean, if that's all right with you, Sir."

"Sure Jim, go ahead."

*

Two weeks later, Jim received another phone call from Susan's lawyer.

The DNA was a match. They made plans and Dylan would be arriving in 2 weeks. In the meantime, the lawyer would be sending a letter Susan wrote. He said he was told to mail me the letter once paternity was established. A couple days later it came.

Blair walked it the door and saw Jim sitting on the couch with his head in his hands and a letter on the floor at his feet. Concerned, Blair sat next to him and asked what was wrong.

"Nothing's really wrong Chief. I just received that letter I told you about. It explains everything. Here, read it."

"Jim, I can't read this. This is privateya know, `for your eyes only' stuff. It has nothing to do with me"

"Chief, it has everything to do with you. You live here too. Did you think I would make you move out?"

"I wasn't sure"

"I cant believe you Chief, after everything we've gone through you don't think I want you part of my and Dylan's life?"

"I meanhell Jim, you never gave me any indication one way or the other."

"Well, let me spell it out for you. You're already my best friend, my guide, and now I want you to be part of my familyto be Dylan's Uncle."

Blair was stunned. "You really want me to be part of your family?"

Exasperated, Jim replied "Yes Blair. Dylan and I need all the help we can get. I mean I'm new at all this parenting stuff. You'll be there to help me. Now please read this letter so you can understand everything."

`Jim must be serious, he used my real name' Blair thought. "Sure, I'll read it. And Jim, thanks."

"No, Chief, thank you. Look, I need to get some air. I'll be back later."

"No problem" Blair said and he picked up the letter and began to read.

Dearest Jim,
If you're reading this letter the cancer won the battle over my life. I am sorry I never got the chance to tell you about our son. I tried, even went so far as contacting the base so they could get a message to you. That's when I found out you were MIA. After a few months, and you were still missing, something inside me died. I drifted, only the thought of your child growing in my belly kept me from losing it completely. When our son, Dylan James Ellison, was born, I swore that he would know who his father was, even if you never made it back. I wanted him to know of you and about you in case one day we were together again. I didn't realize how much he thought of you until I found out I was sick. He overheard me talking to a friend of mine. I was telling her that I didn't know what I would do with Dylan when I died. Dylan came over to me then, looked me in the eye, and said "Don't worry Mama, Daddy will take care of me."

That's when I wrote out my will. I'm glad my lawyer found you so Dylan wont be disappointed. He's a good boy, very intelligent (and that's not just his mother talkingI have the IQ test to prove it), and a free spirit. I know I raised him very differently than you and I would have.

Because we live in a pretty desolate area, I didn't have to enforce many rules. I know that will all change when he lives with `Mr. Military' Jim Ellison. But that's okay, I trust you to raise our son right.

Okay, now onto the other stuff. In the envelope you will find a savings book. As you were aware, I had a very large savings account due to my family's `old money' that I never touched. I had my lawyer move the entire savings to your bank (wherever you are) and in you name (that way your pride cant turn it down). This, along with Dylan's trust fund for college, should keep you financially sound and allow you to give Dylan the best of everything. I should go now, or this letter will actually turn into a book. If anything goes wrong or you have any questions contact my lawyer, he'll help you.

Remember I never stopped loving you, and I'll always be with you in spirit.
Love,
Susan

Blair put the letter down and brushed a stray tear from his eye. `No wonder Jim looked like that when I walked in. WellI guess I'm now an uncle' Blair thought. His resolve to help Jim and Dylan growing with every minute.
2 Weeks Later

Everything was in place. Dylan's room was set up across from Blair's room with new toys lining the shelves and the cabinets were stocked with "kid food". All that was left was picking up Dylan from the airport.

"Jim, are you sure you don't want to go pick up Dylan alone? I'll just be in the way." Blair stated.

"Yes Blair, I am sure. Dylan will need to get to know you tooI mean you are his Uncle."

"All right, all right. Lets go before you start with the "Damn it Blair you're family" speech."

Jim reached over and slapped Blair affectionately in the head as he walked out the door.

*

Jim was so nervous; he forgot what plane Dylan was going to be on.

After looking at the arrival screens they found his plane and what gate it would be arriving at. By the time they got there, passengers were already disembarking. Jim went to the counter to ask them where Dylan was. While Jim was doing that Blair was watching the passengers for any sign of him, which was hard considering he didn't have a clue what the kid looked like.

A few seconds later, Blair saw a small child start down the ramp. `That has got to be Jim's son it looks like Jim shit him out' Blair thought.

"Jim, look." Blair said as he pointed to the ramp.

Seven-year-old Dylan sat nervously on the plane, and pulled out the picture of his Daddy that him Mama gave him. He was finally going to meet him. Mama told him that living with Daddy would be different that he was used to, so he was to be a good boy and do as his Daddy told him. He really missed his Mama, but he was being brave like she asked him to. Once the plane landed, the stewardess came over and got him. She walked him off the plane and down the ramp. Dylan stood there while she went to the counter to tell them I was waiting for my father, Jim Ellison. He noticed a curly haired man motion to another man. When the other man turned around, Dylan was elated. It was his Daddy! Emotion took over and he ran down the ramp towards the man, arms wide open.

Jim turned around in time to see this little ball of energy come running his way. "Daddy" it yelled. Instinctively he squatted down and met his son's embrace. Blair stood off to the side, his eyes
bright with unshed tears. He had never seen Jim "no emotional crap" Ellison so happy.

Jim let go and held his son back. `God he looks just like me' Jim thought.

Jim turned saw Blair standing off to the side. He called him over to introduce him to Dylan.

" Dylan, this is Blair." Jim said.

"Hey Dylan. So, how did you like the planepretty cool huh?"

"Yeah, way cool" Dylan replied.

"Well, lets get you home and settled in" Jim said, and led Dylan out to the truck.

*

Once at the loft, Jim showed Dylan around while Blair started dinner.

Blair listened as Jim gave the tour.

"This is your room, the bathroom is down the hall."

"I get a room all to myself?" Dylan asked.

"Sure you doevery boy needs his own place to hang out. "

"Where's your room?"

"My room is upstairs, and Blair's room is across from yours."

"Blair's room? Blair lives here too?" Dylan asked.

"Sure he does. I guess we didn't make that clear at the airport. Blair is my roommate."

"Oh, when is he moving out?" Dylan said rudely.

"Blair is not moving out." Jim was shocked at the tone in Dylan's voice.

"Well, he should, there isn't going to be enough room for all of us."

"Dylan, Blair is here to stay as long as he wants. There is plenty of room for all of us. Now, enough of that kind of talk."

"NO. I don't want him living with us!" Dylan yelled.

"That's enough Dylan! I think maybe you're tired from your trip. Why don't you go lay down. " Jim said with restrained anger.

Dylan started to reply but saw the "almost pushed too far look" in his Dad's eyes, stomped into his room and threw himself down on his bed.

Jim shut the door, and went into the kitchen with Blair.

"Jim, I'm sure Dylan didn't mean anything. I think he was just surprised to find out I would be living here too." Blair said quietly so Dylan wouldn't hear.

"It doesn't matter. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with him, but I wont allow that kind of disrespect from my son."

"It's okay Jim, let me go talk to himsee if I can find out what's up."

"All right, if anyone can get him to talk, it would be you."

"Thanks Jim. Do me a favor, keep an eye on the soup. When it starts to boil, add the celery and turn down the heat."

No problem Chief."

Blair went to Dylan's room and knocked softly on the door. He heard a soft `comin' from inside the room. He opened the door and saw a rather dejected figure sitting on his bed. Blair went into the room, shut the door for privacy (`though it Jim wanted to he could listen' Blair thought) and sat on the bed.

"Dylan, why do you want me to move out?" Blair asked. "Come on, you can tell me. I'm pretty cool once you get to know me."

Dylan turned away, but Blair saw the tears in his eyes.

"I don't want you to move out, I was just surprised. I thought I was going to have my Dad all to myself. I'm sorry. Mama always said I let my temper get the better of me. Thank you for trying to smooth things over with my dad. Is he still mad?" Dylan said, the tears spilling over.

Blair wiped the tears away with his thumb. "No, I don't think so." A second later Blair realized the implication of that statement.

"Dylan, how did you know I tried to smooth things over with your dad? What did I say?"

"I heard you. You said that you didn't think I meant anything by it and that I was just surprised. I'm sorry I didn't mean to listen. "

"That's all right. So, are we okay now?"

"I'm okay if you're okay, " Dylan said.

"I'm okay. Were cool. Why don't you lay down?"

"Okayand Blair?"

"Yes?"

"You remind me of my mama's friend Brady. I called him Uncle Brady since he was the closest thing I had to one. Since you're my dad's best friend, would it be okay if I called you Uncle Blair?"

"I'd like that a lot." Blair replied with a smile. "Now get some rest, I'll wake you for dinner."

*

Blair walked into the kitchen and saw Jim standing there with a huge grin on his face. "Jim" Blair said. "Were you listening?"

`I'm sorry Chief I couldn't help it. I'm glad everything is okay now. I didn't know what I was going to do if you two didn't get along."

"Don't worry Jim, things are cool between us. It was easy to get him to talk. He's so much like his fatherya know, temper gets to him before the thinking does. Then after a few minutes the thinking catches up and I use my `guide' voice to calm him down and talk it out."

"Very funny, Chief." Jim said as he threw the dishtowel at him.

Blair went back to his cooking, trying to keep Jim from `taste testing' the food. He started thinking about Dylan being able to hear his conversation with Jim.

"Hey Darwinwhat wrong?" Jim said in jest.

"What, oh, Jim sorry, just thinking."

"About what?"

"Oh nothing in particular. Just wondering it the sentinel stuff is hereditary."

"What? Why would you" Jim started to say, and then it clicked. "Oh."

"Yeah. Dylan heard our conversation from in the room. He told me exactly what I said."

"So, you think it's a sentinel thing or an eavesdropping thing?" Jim asked.

"I'm not sure, but I'm going to keep an eye on him just in case."

"Now chief, don't treat him like a lab rat. He's a kid."

"Jim, what do you take me for? Of course I wont treat him like a lab rat. I just want to observethat's what I do, remember?"

"Yeah, how could I forget." Jim said as he ducked to avoid the piece of celery Blair threw at him.

*

Dylan sat up in bed, his thoughts racing. `A sentinel, what's a sentinel?'

*

Jim set the table while Blair went to wake up Dylan. A few minutes later a rumpled little boy apprehensively approached the table.

"Daddy? Are you still mad at me?' Dylan asked in a quiet voice.

"No Dylan, I not mad. But we will discuss the rules and what behavior I expect from you later on tonight. Now, go wash up for dinner." Jim gave Dylan a hug and pushed him towards the bathroom.

While eating dinner, Jim told Dylan that he and Blair had the next 2 weeks off the get him settled and show him around. He told him that if he wanted, they could all go to the Aquarium tomorrow. Dylan's face lit up.

"There's an Aquarium here?! All right!"

"I take it that's a yes," Blair said with a smile.

After dinner, everyone helped clear the table and clean up the kitchen. Jim decided now was as good a time as any to go over the `dreaded rules' as Blair liked to call them.

"Dylan, come over here and sit down." Jim said as he patted the seat next to him on the sofa.

"I know you just got here. But I want to go over the `house rules' and how Blair and I expect you to behave." With that said, Jim launched into the MANY house rules he had. Blair and Dylan rolled their eyes at each other. Jim was oblivious to it and kept on talking.

"Now, you can go anywhere in the house except my room and Blair's room. My room is not a place to play around in," Jim said, referring to his back gun he kept up there. " And Blair's room has many old, fragile things in it. You might break something. So unless Blair or I are with you, you are not to go into either of our rooms. Okay?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Okay, now on to your behavior." Dylan winced, and looked up to see his father staring at him, jaw clenched. "What I saw earlier will not happen again. You will be respectful towards others. If Blair or I tell you to do something, you are to do it. Questions are okay, but don't argue with us. There will be no backtalk. And what ever you do, don't ever tell me `No'. Is that understood?"

Dylan gulped. "Yes, sir. Completely."

"Do you have any questions?"

"No."

"Good. Now, would you like to watch a movie before bed?"

"Sure!" Dylan replied enthusiastically, glad to have that talk over with.

"Pick out a movie so Blair can set it up. Then go take your bath. When you come out, I'll have popcorn ready, and we'll watch the movie."

"Okay." Dylan went over to the shelf of movies (listed alphabetically) and picked one out. He handed Blair the movie and went to take his bath. Blair looked at the title and started to laugh.

"Jim, he's definitely your kidhe has the same type of humor you have."

"What do you mean?" Jim asked.

"Well, he just picked out `Robin Hood: Men in Tights'."

Jim looked over at Dylan when he heard soft snores. "Poor Uncle Blair is exhausted" Dylan said.

"Yeah, I see that. I think we'll leave him there instead of waking him to go to bed. Speaking of bed, it's time you were there also." Jim said.

"AWWW Dad I" started to come out of Dylan's mouth until he saw the look his father gave him and remembered their earlier conversation. "I mean, Yes Sir." Dylan gave his dad a hug and kiss, went over to his uncle and gently kissed him goodnight and reluctantly went to bed.

*

The next morning, everyone got up early and got ready to go to the Aquarium. Dylan was so excited he couldn't sit still. Jim managed to get him to eat breakfast and get dressed. Before they left, Jim laid down some ground rules.

"Dylan, I know you are excited to be going to the Aquarium, but I want to get some ground rules straight. You are to be on your best behavior and are not to go anywhere in the Aquarium without Blair or me. If you do, we will come straight home and you will spend the rest of the day in your room. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir" Dylan said. Of course, he didn't really hear what his father said. He was way too excited and couldn't wait to see the sharks.

Once at the Aquarium, Dylan kept running from exhibit to exhibit.

Lucky for him, Uncle Blair had as much energy as he did and was able to keep up with him. Jim on the other hand, was exhausted. `Those two are more alike that I realized' thought Jim as he watched Blair's childlike enthusiasm keep Dylan interested. He could hear them discussing the difference between Porpoises and Dolphins. `Man, that kid is smart. I wonder how high his IQ actually is' Jim said to himself.

Dylan came running over to him, Blair right behind him. "Can we go see the sharks now?" Dylan said.

Jim looked up wearily at Blair. "Sure, buddy. Lets go" Jim said as Dylan grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the exhibit. When they were almost there, Dylan let go of Jim's hand and ran towards the shark tank.

Jim caught up to him, grabbed him by the arm, and turned him around."Dylan, what did I tell you about running off? You are to stay with Blair or me at all times. It's dangerous to go off by yourself. Now, I wont tell you again." Jim said firmly.

Dylan nodded and turned back to the shark tank. `Hey, there aren't any sharks in there' Dylan thought. He looked up at his Dad. "Daddy, where are all the sharks?"

Jim looked in the tank, and sure enough, there weren't any sharks. It was then he noticed the sign next to the exhibit. `Oh, no' Jim thought as he read it.

About that time, Dylan noticed it also. "Daddy, what do they mean closed?" Dylan asked.

"Sorry, buddy. It looks like they closed it to clean up the tank."

"But Daddy, I want to see the sharks!"

Jim looked down at his son and saw a full-blown tantrum in the making. He decided to head it off. " Dylan, we can't see them now, but we'll come back another time and see them."

"NO! I WANT TO SEE THEM NOW!!!" Dylan screamed.

"That's enough Dylan. I told you we'll come back to see them another day. You can't see them today. Now, stop this little tantrum or we'll go home." Jim said firmly.

Dylan looked at his father, then Blair, then screamed "NO!!" and took off running.

Jim looked at Blair, steel in his eyes, and said "Damn" as he took off after him.

`Uh, oh. I know that look' Blair said to himself, and then took off after Jim.

Dylan almost made it to the Aquarium exit before Jim and Blair caught up with him.

Jim grabbed Dylan by the upper arm to stop him. He grabbed Dylan's chin and forced him to look in his eyes.

"Dylan, what do you think you're doing?" Jim said with barely-concealed anger, jaw twitching.
Dylan didn't know how to answer that. He didn't know why he took off.

He was just mad that the exhibit was closed. Of course, his temper was still full blown and he replied, "Let go of me. I don't have to listen to you".

Blair saw the muscles in Jim's jaw flinch and decided to save Dylan from Jim's wrath. "Jim, calm down. Not here man. Lets go home. We can deal with this at home" Blair said in his `calm the upset sentinel and get him to listen' voice.

Jim glanced at Blair, then at the defiant look in his son's eyes. "Okay, lets gonow!"

With that Jim pulled Dylan out the door and to the truck. He couldn't believe his son's reaction. `He acted like a spoiled brat not getting what he wanted' Jim thought. `Susan, why didn't you tell me about this?' He said to himself. He could just see Susan chilling out in the afterlife laughing her head off. `Well she did say she didn't enforce any rules, I guess that also meant he got everything he wanted' Jim thought.

Jim guided the truck into the parking space and shut the engine off.

Dylan jumped out of the truck and ran up to the apartment, Jim and Blair right behind him.

"Dylan, I want you to go to your room and stay there." Jim said.

Dylan just stood there defiantly. "NO!" he said.

Jim could not believe the audacity of his son. What little control he had of his anger disappeared. He grabbed Dylan by the arm, turned him around and swatted his butt.

"I told you to go to you room, NOW!" Jim said in his most authoritative voice.

Dylan looked up in surprise. He thought about defying his father again, but took a look at his face and knew he pushed him too far. Rubbing his butt, he ran to his room.

*

Blair stood there watching the exchange. He knew the minute Jim lost his temper. `That kid really doesn't know when to stop, does he?' Blair thought. `At least he got the hint after Jim swatted him'.

Blair looked at Jim after Dylan ran to his room.

"Jim, he was just upset that the exhibit was closed" Blair said, trying to diffuse the situation.

"I know that Chief. But I will not allow that kind of behavior from my son." Jim said angrily. "I specifically told him before we left that he was not to go off on his own. Hell, I even warned him at the Aquarium after he ran off to the shark tank."

"So, what do you plan to do?" Blair asked.

"If he just ran off, I would make him stay in his room. But after the tantrum and the way he spoke to me, I don't think that's enough. If I spoke to my father that way, I would have a very sore backside right now."

"Yeah, me too." Blair said.

Jim looked at him in disbelief. "Naomi would have spanked you?"

"No, not Naomi. She didn't believe in spanking. But if you remember, she was always away. She usually left me with my Uncle, and let me tell you, he was nothing like Naomi. He most definitely would have tanned my hide, and rightly so." Blair replied.

"You believe in spanking, Chief? Come on, what about all that new age `don't hit your kids stuff'?"

"Jim, I don't think spanking should be used every time, but in some cases, it's warranted. Especially when a child acts out like Dylan did."

Jim looked at Blair. I can't believe he agrees with me. "Yeah, you're right". With that, Jim strengthened his resolve and went over to Dylan's room.

*

Dylan sat on the bed. He couldn't believe he spoke to his father that way. `Why can't I control my temper' he thought. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Comin" he said.

Jim walked in the room, anger radiating off him. His son looked so sad and dejected sitting there on the bed. His resolve slipped a little. `I sure hope I can do this' He said to himself. Then he remembered the way Dylan ran off. He could've gotten lost or hurt. God knows he knew the type of people out there. His resolve fell back in place.

"Dylan, what you did today was unacceptable. I know you were aware of what I meant when I said I expected you to behave," Jim said.

"Yes, Sir, I knew. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you and run away." Dylan said quietly.

"I understand that, but I told you to stay with us for a reason. You could have been lost or hurt. There are all types of bad people out there, and I want you to be safe. That's why I give you rules to follow. Do you understand?"

"Yes Sir. I really am sorry. I heard you talking to Uncle Blair. You're going toto spank me, aren't you?"

"Yes I am. But before I do, I want you to understand why you're being punished."

"I understand. I was disrespectful and ran off after you told me not to."

"That's right. You need start listening and do as I tell you. Now, lets get this over with." With that said, Jim lifted Dylan and placed him over his knee. After it was over, he stood Dylan in front of him.

"Dylan, I'm sorry I had to punish you, but you need to learn to follow the rules." Jim said.

"I know" Dylan said tears running down his face. He rubbed his butt. "It won't happen again."

"It better not, because if it does, next time your pants will be down. Understand?"

"Yes Sir."

Jim pulled Dylan in to a hug and let him cry himself out. "Now, I want you to stay in your room until dinner."

"Yes Sir." Dylan said as his father left the room. He lay down on the bed, face down of course, and quickly fell asleep.

*

Jim walked out of Dylan room. `That was the hardest thing I ever had to do' he thought.

Blair looked over at him. `Is everything okay now?"

Jim walked in to the living room and slumped into the chair. "I hope I never have to do that again," he said.

"Yeah, me toome too" Blair replied.

"Man Jim, I don't have any idea why he responded like that," Blair said.

" I do" Jim replied. "It's about a little boy who was spoiled and got everything he wanted. Well, that's going to change. I'll not have a brat for a son."

"I hear that" Blair said.

*

About hour before dinner, Jim woke Dylan and told him he could come out of his room. "Dylan, please come over here. We need to talk about what happened." Jim said.

"I'm sure you know by now that I was very unhappy with your little tantrum at the Aquarium. What I want to know is why you were so upset you couldn't see the sharks. I told you that I would bring you back later to see them."

"I don't know why Daddy. I'm sorry I was bad. I knew you meant it when you said you would take me back. I just wanted to see the sharks THEN not laterI guess I was being a brat like you said earlier"

Jim looked at Dylan, shock evident in his eyes. "Dylan, when did I say you were a brat?"

"After you left my room. You were talking to Uncle Blair and said that I was a little boy who was spoiled and that you'll not have a brat for a son. I'm sorry Daddy, I didn't mean to be a brat."

"No Dylan, I'm sorry. I was angry and should have never called you that. You are not a brat. You did wrong, but you were punished and now everything is okay."

"You not angry anymore?"

"No, I'm not angry. But we do have to talk about one other thing."

" What's that?"

"You listening in on other peoples conversations."

"Oh, that. I know I shouldn't do that. Sometimes I don't even know I `m doing it. I know I shouldn't be able to hear what's being said, but somehow, I do."

At this point, Blair jumped in. " Dylan, do you find you can hear things other people can't? Ya know, people talking in other rooms, maybe hear sounds that other's can't?"

Jim glared at Blair, but he shrugged it off.

"Yeah" Dylan replied. "I can even hear other people's heartbeats. Why?"

"Oh, no reason. Just curious to see how much you hear."

Dylan looked at His Dad and Uncle. Something didn't seem right to him. He decided to ask the question that has been on his mind since last night. "Dad, Uncle Blair, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure buddy" Jim replied.

"What's a Sentinel?

Jim looked at Blair. "Yeah, Chief, what's a Sentinel?"

`Uh oh, Jim's clearly pissed' Blair said to himself, catching the tone of Jim's voice.

"Well Dylan, a Sentinel is a person who has genetically enhanced senses. They can hear, see, feel, smell and taste that others can't. I have a book you can look at if you'd like."

"So, am I one of those? Is Dad?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, umm" Dylan started, and then remembered how his dad sounded when he said he wanted to talk about him listening in on other people's conversations. `I don't think that talk will go well if I tell him I listened in on that conversation too' he thought as he rubbed his sore behind. " No reason, I was just wondering, that's all."

Jim watched his son closely. He could feel his temperature rising and hear his heartbeat increase. `Well, someone isn't telling the whole truthbut it's best if I leave this go now. I'm not ready to discuss this Sentinel stuff with him yet' Jim thought.

"Okay, in that case, lets go sit down, dinner is ready." Jim said.

*

During dinner, Dylan became overly quiet and sullen. Jim and Blair tried to get him into the conversation, but he just responded with quick `yeah' and `no'. It was clear something was on his mind. Jim threw a worried glance Blair's way.

`HmmmI wonder what brought this on' Blair said to himself. `It looks like he's gotten angry over something.'

*

Dylan sat uncomfortably at the table. His backside was killing him.'Who gave his father the right to spank him' Dylan thought angrily. `Mama would have just ignored my tantrum, and Uncle Brady may have swatted me once or twice, but neither of them would have actually spanked me. I hardly know this man. I mean, yeah he's my father, but' Dylan's thoughts were interrupted.

"Dylan, please don't play with your food, eat it" Jim said.

Dylan hadn't realized he was playing with it. `Huh, I can play with it if I want' He said to himself. "I'm not hungry" he replied testily.

Jim had no idea where this attitude was coming from. He could tell his son was angry, but over what he had no idea. `He was fine before dinner' Jim thought. He could also see him working himself up into another tantrum.

"Dylan, I don't know where this attitude is coming from, but if your going to not eat and continue with the attitude, you can just go to your room for the rest of the evening" Jim told him firmly.

Dylan looked up at his father, fire shining through his eyes "Fine!" he said, threw his fork down, and ran to his room. Jim sat in stunned disbelief.

"Jim, I don't know what that was about, but he was obviously thinking about something while sitting there. Whatever it was, it was making him mad. Why don't you give him time to cool off? Then go talk to him. From the way he was shifting in his seat, I have a feeling he was thinking about his spanking." Blair said.

`Why would he get mad about that? He seem fine before dinner." Jim asked.

"Well, don't you remember how you felt after you were punished? Contrite right after it happened then after a while angry your father had the audacity to spank you." Blair said with a slight smile.

"Yeah, I remember feeling that, but I would have never acted like that. That attitude would have just gotten me another spanking!"

"Jim, put yourself in his shoes. I doubt he was ever spanked, or ever really punished for that matter. Hell, he hardly had any rules. Now he comes to a new home, has to follow rules, and a father who wont hesitate to punish him. He's probably confused. I think you need to talk to himexplain things a little. Remember this is as new to him as it is to you."

"I guess you're right. I'll talk to him before he goes to bed. But he better not think he can act this way every time he's punished or he'll not be sitting down comfortably" Jim said.

"Jim I'm sure he wont after you talk to him." Blair said with a laugh.

*

Later on that night, Jim went to say goodnight to Dylan. He walked into his room and leaned against the doorway.

"Dylan, you almost ready for bed?"

Dylan looked up. `At least he doesn't look like he's angry' he thought. "Yeah."

Jim helped Dylan get situated, and then sat on the edge of the bed. "So, you want to tell me about it?" Jim asked.

Dylan stared at his Dad. He was still upset and angry, but he felt bad too. "NoyesI don't know. I'm confused Daddy."

"About what?"

"WellI don't knowwhy did you spank me?" Dylan blurted.

"I spanked you because you were being disrespectful and you disobeyed me by running through the aquarium. That was dangerous. You could have been hurt. I thought we already discussed this?"

"We did. It's just Why didn't you just send me to my room or something?"

"Because what you did was very wrong. I will not tolerate you speaking to me that way. Nor will I allow you to disobey me. I had originally planned to send you to you're room after you ran off, but after you chose to speak to me that way you did, I felt something a little more forceful was called for. Now, I know you probably weren't punished all that much when you were with your mom, were you?" Dylan shook his head.

"I didn't think so. Well let me make it real clear right now. Anytime you do something wrong or are being disrespectful, you can expect to be punished. I don't like punishing you, but I will if I have to. Remember, there are always consequences for your actions. The choice is yours. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Good. Now one other thing. If you act the way you did tonight at the dinner table again, you will be eating your next meal standing up, got it?"

"Got it Dad, and I'm sorry."

"I know you are. Now get some sleep. We are going to visit someone tomorrow."

"Who?" Dylan asked.

"Your Grandfather."

*

"Jim, are you sure you want to do this? I mean when I said you should earlier you looked like you'd rather take a spiritual trip with Naomi" Blair said.

"Yes Chief, I'm pretty sure. I thought about what you said and you're right, Dylan deserves to know who his grandfather is" Jim replied.

"Hold on, did you just admit I was right? I never thought I'd see the day" Blair mused.

"Yeah, well don't let it go to your head Darwin" Jim said, taking a swing at Blair's head.

A sleepy, blonde headed little boy, stumbling out of his room, interrupted their play. "Mornin' Dylan" Blair said.

"Mornin'" Dylan replied with a yawn.

Dylan climbed up into his Dad's lap and laid his head on his shoulder.

"I'm still tired Daddy." Dylan slurred.

"I can see that. Perhaps if we can get Uncle Blair to make us his famous waffles you'll wake up. Remember you're going to meet your grandpa today." Jim said.

Dylan looked up, mischievous smile on his face. "I think I can only wake up if Uncle Blair's special chocolate milk is made with it."

Blair looked up to see Jim with a smile on his face and Dylan doing his best impersonation of `Blair puppy dog eyes'. "You two are incorrigibleoh all rightI'll make you guys waffles." He said with a laugh.

"And chocolate milk" Dylan added.

"And chocolate milk" Blair corrected himself.

*

After breakfast, Jim went in to help Dylan get ready. He walked into his room to see Dylan pulling out the most ugly, flower child type pair of pants he'd ever seen.

"Whoa juniorwhere do you think your wearing those?" Jim asked.

Dylan looked at he father like he had a third eye." You said I was going to meet my Grandpa today"

"Yes we are, but you are not wearing those. I don't want you Grandpa to have a heart attack the first time he sees you. Here, lets find something more suitable" Jim said as he started rummaging through Dylan's closet.

"But Dad, I want to wear these. They're my favorite." Dylan whined.

"I said no. End of discussion. Now, here put these on." Jim handed Dylan a pair of khakis and a light blue polo shirt.

"But Dad, I'll look like a dork."

"Dylan, you have to the count of 3 to put these clothes on, or I'll do it for you. I really don't think you want me to do that." Jim said firmly.

"Fine!" Dylan yelled as he started getting dressed.

"Dylan" Jim said. When Dylan looked up he saw that `don't push it' look in his Dad's eyes. "Drop the attitude. I will not tolerate it today. If you misbehave while at your Grandpa's, you think your punishment yesterday way a cakewalk. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Sir." Dylan gulped.

"Good. Don't worry, you can change out of those `dorky' clothes as soon as we get back. Deal?"

"Deal."

*

Forty-Five minutes later Jim, Blair and Dylan pull up in front of his Dad's house.

"Jimmy, Blair" Sally yells as she opens the door.

"Hey Sally" Jim gives her a big hug.

"Whose this little fellow you have with you?" Sally says stooping down to get a better look.

"This is Dylan, my son" Jim replies.

Sally looks up at Jim in shock. " Your son?"

Jim nods. "I'll tell you all about it once we get inside. Where's Dad?"

"He's in his den going over some old papers he found."

Sally ushered them into the house and went to get Mr. Ellison.

"Jimmy! What a surprise!" William says, pointedly ignoring Blair.

"Hey dad. I hope we aren't disturbing anything."

"No, no. I was just doing some busy work. So who this you have here?"

William asks, referring to Dylan.

"This is my son, Dylan."

"Your Son?"

"Yeah Dad, my son. Why don't we sit down and I'll explain everything."

They went into the living room and Jim explained everything. When he was through, he looked over at Blair, and then waited for his father's reaction.

"Well Jimmy, I wont lie and say this didn't take me by surprise. But, My God, he looks just like you did as a boy."

Jim took this as things were going to be okay.

He watched as William and Sally took some time to get acquainted with Dylan.

"Hey Sally? You wouldn't have any of those wonderful sugar cookies made, would you?" Jim asked with a boyish gleam.

Sally smiled and shook her head. "Just made some this morning. I'll go get us some."

William looked down at a Dylan. He was getting ready to ask him a question when he noticed Dylan in a very familiar posehead cocked to the side as if listening to something.

"Dad, Sally is coming back to ask us what we want to drink with our cookies" Dylan said innocently.

Jim saw the way his father was looking at Dylan. At that moment Sally appeared and got everyone's drinks orders.

"H-How did he" William stuttered, then he remembered. "He's just like you, isn't he Jimmy?" he said snidely.

"What do you mean by that Dad?" Jim replied forcefully.

"Uh Jim"Blair started but was cut off by Jim. "Chief, why don't you and Dylan go help Sally?" he suggested.

"Sure, let's go Dylan" Blair pulled Dylan down the hall towards the kitchen.

"Now Dad, just what did you mean by that?" Jim said angrily.

"You know damn well what I meant. Don't tell me my grandson thinks he has `special powers' like his father did?" William replied just as angrily.

"Special powerswhat are you talking about?" Jim yelled.

"You heard meI saw the way he did that head cock thingjust like you did as a boy. I'll not have a freak for grandsonone who thinks he can hear and see things better that everyone else just like his father did" William yelled back.

Jim's temper snapped. "Don't you EVER call my son a freak. You still haven't accepted me for who I am have you? Why did I think you would be different with your grandson? I knew this was a bad idea. Don't worry dad, you won't have a freak for a grandsonin fact, as of now, you don't have a grandson at all!" Jim yelled. "Chief, Dylan, let's go. Were outta here!"

Jim stormed out of the house, Blair and Dylan following hurriedly in his wake. Blair knew something big just went down and it had to do with Dylan. Luckily, he had kept Dylan talking while helping Sally so he was pretty sure nothing was overheard.

"Uh Jimis everything okay man?" Blair asked.

"Chief, I really don't want to talk about it, okay?"

Sure manumm do you want a cookie?" Blair asked as he handed him a brown bag.

"Where did you get those?"

"Come on Jim, Sally practically raised you. Once she heard the shouting she started wrapping up he cookies. Muttered something about `stubborn, pig- headed men' while doing it though. Wonder who she could be talking about?"

`Funny Chief, very funny"

Blair smiled, glad to relieve some of Jim's tension. Now if only he could keep him calm enough to find out what happened.

"Chief, I already told you, I don't want to talk about it, now drop it!!" Jim said through clenched teeth.

"Look Jim, you can't let this fester. You need to get this resolved before it becomes too much to handle" Blair said with a sigh.

"RESOLVED!? RESOLVED!? I think my father resolved it all when he called my son a freak" Jim yelled.

*

Dylan sat in his room listening to his Dad and Uncle talk about what happened at Grandpa's. Even though Uncle Blair was trying to distract him he still heard all the yelling. He didn't know exactly what they were yelling about, all he heard was `just like you' and `freak'. He was positive that it had to do with Sentinel's, whatever they were, and decided if he wanted answers, he would have to get then himself. `Now, where did Uncle Blair say he had that book?' Dylan said to himself. `Oh yeah, his room'

*

The next morning, Dylan decided that today would be the day for answers. Dad had to run down to the station. Uncle Blair was doing his morning meditation. `He'll never know what's going on' Dylan thought. He went over to the door to Blair's room, and stood at the door, undecided.

`Dad told us that we were not to go into Uncle Blair's room by ourselves' Dylan's angel side said.

`Yeah, but they wont tell us what we want to know. We'll have to find out for ourselves' the devil side said.

Figuring it was now or never, Dylan opened the door and went inside. `This place is cool' Dylan said to himself. He quickly looked at all the tribal masks and would have looked closer at the copied engravings but time was of the essence. It only took him a few minutes to find itthe Holy Grail. The answers to everything were inside this book. He opened it and started to peruse it

*

"A Sentinel is chosen because of a genetic advantageenhanced sensescan see, hear, smell, taste and feel better that ordinary humanswatcher of his tribe"

*

A hand on his shoulder interrupted Dylan's reading. Startled, the book started to slip from his hand. He caught it by the front cover then looked up and saw his Uncle Blair. He had never seen that angry/disappointed look on his face before.

"Dylan, what are you doing in here?" Blair asked, taking the book gently from him.

Dylan didn't know how to answer so he didn't.

"Answer me, Dylan. What.were.you.doing?" Blair firmly asked again.

"III " Dylan couldn't stand that look anymore. "I wanted to find out what sentinels were and you said you had this book and I couldn't tell you I was eavesdropping so I decided to look at the book myself" he rushed out.

"Whoa, Dylan. Slow down. Let me see if I understand this. You eavesdropped on my conversation with your Dad, heard the word sentinel, and wanted to know what one was. So, instead of asking, you decided to go into my room by yourself, which by the way you were
told not to do, find the book and get answers for yourself. Am I correct?"

Dylan nodded, still unsure of what to say.

"Do you realize you could have broken something? I mean, those artifacts are not mine, I'm just borrowing them. And this bookit very old and fragile. Did you even think about that when you held it by the front cover? This book is irreplaceable"

"Hey, I wouldn't have ruined your stupid book" Dylan interrupted insolently.

"Cut it with the attitude, Dylan. You're in enough trouble. What do you think your Dad is going to say when he finds out you disobeyed him, huh?"

That statement set Dylan's temper off. "I don't care if you tell him. If you would have told me what a sentinel was when I asked before I wouldn't have had to go into your room"

"Dylan" Blair said, trying to calm him down. I t only fueled his fire.

"NO, I'm tired of listening to you. It's like listening to someone dragging their nails down a chalkboard. Constantly blah, blah, blahOW!" Dylan tirade was stopped by a sharp slap to his bottom.

"Good, now that I have your attention. I am not going to tell your father. I understand your were curious. But do me a favor, next time you want to know something, just ask. I DON'T want to find you in my room by yourself again. If I do, I will tell you Dad. Now you are going to go to your room and stay there until he comes home. After dinner, I will sit down with you and explain the whole Sentinel thing, okay?" Blair said. `If I can get Jim to go along with it" he quickly dismissed that thought.

"Okay, fine, whatever" Dylan said and stomped into his room.

"Keep that attitude up" the only response he got was the slam of his door. `Man he is his father's sontemper and all'

*
The minute Jim walked in the door he knew something was up. "Chief?"

"Hey Jim" Blair said, coming out of his room.

"Something happened today, didn't it?"

`Man this was going to be harder than I thoughthow am I going to tell Jim that we need to talk to Dylan about this Sentinel stuff without telling him about our little escapade today' Blair said to himself. "No, man. Nothing happeneddinner's almost ready"

Jim noticed the evasion tactic and detected the rise in Blair's temperature and increased heartbeat. "Come on Chief, you're talking to, what did you call me, `a human lie detector'. Now give."

Shit. "Umokaywell you remember when Dylan mentioned Sentinels? He kind of got curious and started to ask me more questions, so I gave him the book to look at"

"You WHAT!?" Jim yelled as he moved closer to Blair.

"Now, hear me out." Blair said hurriedly, taking a step back. He took a deep calming breath and continued " I have been observing him a lot over the past few daysI think I'm pretty sure Jim, he's a Sentinel"

"WHAT?! Come on Chief. Just because he can hear our heartbeatsoh shit! He can hear our heartbeats"

*

"Yeah man, I know. Jim, we need to explain everything to himand I mean EVERYTHING," Blair stressed.

"You mean about me being a Sentinel? Of course I'll tell him. It's the only way "

"DADDY!!" Jim's voice was drowned out by a scream from Dylan's bedroom.

*

Dylan sat on his bed. He was as white as a ghost. "Dylan, what's wrong, why did you scream?" His Dad asked.

"DADDY!" Dylan screamed again and threw his arms around Jim's neck. "Please, Please, Please don't go back to work tomorrowyou cantsomething bad will happenI saw" He got out before he started sobbing again.

"Jim, what is he talking about? I thought you had off?" Blair asked.

"How did you " Jim started but quickly switched gears. "I did, but something came up...I'll tell you laterand Simon needs me. I have to help." Jim held up a hand to stop Blair from voicing his thoughts. "Chief, I promise, you'll understand when I tell you everything later." Dylan finally got himself under control.

`He's shaking like a leaf' Jim said to himself. Dylan just hugged tighter.

"Hey buddy. It's okay, it's okay." Jim said softly. "ShhhDaddy's here, everything's going to be okay". Finally Dylan let go of his Dad and pulled back to look at him.

"Daddy, don't go back to work. I saw something bad happen to you. Please promise"

Jim looked at his distraught son then at Blair, silently pleading for help.

"Dylan, did you have a dream?" Blair asked. Dylan nodded.

"Can you tell us what it was about?" Dylan nodded again. He took a deep breath.

" I saw this man in army clothes, he had Daddy tied up in a room. It was dark. Daddy tried to get up but the man kicked him and told him to stay put. Told him he was going see if the apple fell far from the tree. Daddy asked him what he meant but the man only said you'll see, you'll see. Daddy started to struggle again and managed to stand, but the man hit him again, and kept hitting him and hitting himthat's when I woke up." Dylan said, tears rolling down his face.

Blair looked at Jim. `Something is going on" Blair said to himself. `Jim even whiter that Dylan."

Blair left Jim to tend to Dylan and went out to the living room. `I don't like this' Blair said to himself. `What if the kid has 6 senses instead of five when it comes to his Dad? It's not unheard of between twins, but between father and sonwas that dream intuitive? And what did Dylan mean about Jim going back to work. He had to get some answers. This is his field not Jim's and Jim will want some answersanswers that I don't have.'

Jim came out of Dylan room alone.

"Where's Dylan?" Blair asked.

"He was exhaustedfell asleep in my armsthough after that dream I don't know how." Jim said. "Okay Chief, this is your playing fieldwhat just happened in there?"

"Before I answer you, I want you to answer me" Blair stated. "What was Dylan talking about when he said you were going back to work? You didn't say anything to me."

Jim paled again. "Chief, that's the scary part. I didn't tell him. If fact I just found out today. Now, I know what you're thinking about that dream. For once, I may agree with you."

"What, you mean without argument," Blair said playfully.

"Well Chief, after I tell you why I have to work tomorrow, you'll understand." Jim sighed and rubbed his head, "Brackett is outand rumor has it he's wanting some revenge" Jim stated.

"Wha out? You mean out of prison? How did that happenI thought he was in maximum security?"

"He was. But you know Bracketthe has contacts everywhere. Simon wants me to try to get Brackett before he exacts his revengeand after Dylan's dream I'm worried what kind of revenge he's talking about."

*

Dylan woke with a start. No dream this time, just a need to be with his dad. He ran out to the living room and jumped in his dad's lap.

"Dylan, Blair and I need to tell you some thingsthings that may help you understand what's going on." Jim said. He and Blair then proceeded to tell him about Brackett and how his dad was a Sentinel. "You mean you can hear my heart beat? No wonder I can't lie to you!" Jim and Blair exchanged a knowing glance. `Human lie detector indeed' Blair thought.

"Am I one?" Dylan asked.

"I don't know about your other senses, but your hearing is definitely enhanced" Jim said with a grin.

"Dad" Dylan said in that `parents are sooo uncool' tone of voice.

"Seriously Dylan, I think you might be a Sentinel. We'll be able to tell that once we do some sensory tests." Blair said. "And, no I will not treat him like a lab rat" He added quickly after seeing Jim's reaction.

"Coolwhen can we start?" Dylan asked excitedly.

"Hold it there buddy" Jim said. "First we need to make sure you understand that no one, I mean no oneexcept your Uncle Blair and my Captain Simon can know about this"

Dylan interrupted his Dad." I understand Dad. It would be dangerous if other found out. No one will know. I wont tell anyone." Dylan replied, sounding much more mature that his 7 years.

Jim pulled Dylan into a hug and ruffled his hair. "Good, as long as you understand that." Jim could see the unbridled energy ready to burst out of him, an unspoken question in his eyes. "Go ahead" was all Jim got out before Blair grabbed Dylan's hand and rushed him off to the kitchen. `I don't know who's more excited, Blair or Dylan' Jim mused.

*

The next morning, Jim explained to Dylan that he had to go to work, but that he would be extra careful. Dylan clung to him. "Please don't go daddy," Dylan said with tears brimming in his eyes.

Jim felt the lump grow in his throat. "Dylanbuddy. I have to go. I have to get the bad guy before he gets me. You want that to happen don't you?"

Dylan nodded. "Well then I have to go. I promise I'll be real careful. Okay?"

Dylan reluctantly shook his head yes.

"That's my boy" Jim said affectionately. "I gotta go." He gave Dylan a big hug and walked out the door.

Jim pulled in to the police garage. His thoughts were so occupied by Dylan that he failed to notice the man when he stepped out of the truck. Then everything went black.

*

Blair decided to keep Dylan occupied to keep his mind off his Dad. He had some errands to run. They left not long after Jim. "Hey Dylan, you hungry?"

Dylan nodded. He'd been awfully quiet all day so Blair wasn't surprised that he didn't receive a verbal answer. "Good, so am I. Why don't we go over to the park and get some hot dogs? Sound good?"

Again, a nod.

When they got to the park, Blair left Dylan at a nearby bench while he got the hot dogs. As he was getting out his wallet to pay he heard Dylan scream.

"Uncle Blair, Uncle Blair! A boy just came over to me and asked if I was Jim Ellison's son. I told him yes, then he shoved this note in my hand and ran away." He handed the note to Blair who quickly read it. "Lets go Dylan we gotta go see Simon." He grabbed Dylan's hand and ran to his car. `Oh shit" was all he could think.

*

Dylan sat nervously in the chair at his Dad's desk. Blair was in Simon's office discussing what to do. He looked at the white noise generator sitting on the desktop. He started to reach to turn it off but his Uncle Blair's words reverberated in his head. "Dylan, I always told myself that it's not my place to punish you, but if you turn that generator off I will personally turn you over my knee and spank you until you cant sit for days. What Simon and I have to talk about is private. Understand?"

Dylan pulled his hand back. `Better not tempt fate today' he thought. `Especially with that Megan girl watching me like a hawk.'

*

Blair was pacing around Simon's office. "BLAIR! Will you sit down, I'm getting tired just watching you" Simon bellowed.

"Damn it Simon, I can't sit down. What are we going to do?"

Simon looked down at the note and read it again:

I'm sure you know who this is so I'll get right to the point. Ellison made a mistake when he screwed with me. I know all about his `special abilities' and I want to see if the apple falls far from the tree. You have, well actually Jim's boy, have 24 hours to find his Daddy. If he doesn't find him in 24 hours or if anyone from the police department help him, all he'll find is a corpse. Tell the kid to have fun.

Simon shuddered. `How on earth am I going to tell Jim's kid that if he doesn't find his Dad in 24 hours his dad dies'. "Okay Blair. How about you tell me what is going on? What did Brackett mean by `the apple falling far from the tree'?"

"Simon, think about it. Jim's senses are genetically enhanced. Dylan is his son"

"Which means that Dylan could have sentinel abilities himself" Simon finished. "Is he like Jim?"

Blair nodded.

"Okay then, call the boy in here. We need to get him started, we can't waste any time." Simon said.

"Simon, you don't understand. I did some sensory tests on Dylan last night. He does have enhanced senses but he can't control them. He's too young and inexperienced. He doesn't even know how to turn them on"

"Well, that's what you're here for" Simon cut him off. "Look Blair, this kid is Jim's only hope. Brackett has people everywhere. If we go look for him Brackett will kill him. You read the note."

"I know Simon, I know. I just don't want to do any damage to Dylan. He's so young. What if he can't handle it? Jim will kill me if anything happens to his son, providing he lives through this
ordeal."

Simon stared at Blair. "Okay, Okay. I know he's the only one who can find Jim. I'll go get him." Blair turned to leave the office then abruptly turned back. "And Simon, speaking about damaging Jim's kid, would you mind putting out that cancer stick you call a cigar?"

"JUST GO GET HIM" Simon yelled.

*

Blair, Dylan and Simon sat in the office trying to figure out what to do. They only told Dylan that he had to find Jimlike a game. They were afraid if they told him the truth the boy wouldn't be able to help. They had no idea where to start. Suddenly, Blair jumped up. "Simon, I've got it. I know how we can find Jim. Dylan, you remember the dream?"

"What dream?" Simon asked. Blair proceeded to tell Simon what happened yesterday. "You mean you think he can `see his dad'? Do you know how crazy that sounds?"

"I know it sounds crazy, but it's the only shot we have." He turned to Dylan. "In order to help your Dad, I need you to try and `feel your dad'"

"I cant Uncle Blair. It was a dream. I can't feel him while I'm awake."

"Yes you can, with my help."

"Your help? How?"

"I'm going to put in a state, sort of like when you meditate and help guide you, see if we can get any answers"

Blair pulled a chair up to where Dylan was sitting. He slipped into `guide mode', got Dylan to relax, and soon after achieved that `other conscience level'where he hoped the answers lie.

"Dylan, can you hear me?" A nod.

"I want you to close your eyes and think about your Dad. Think about how it feels to be with him. Can you feel him?"

"Yeah"

"Good. Now, open your eyes. Do you see him?"

"Yeah."

"What does he see?"

"It's dark, but we can see" Blair noticed how Dylan

said `we'. "Daddy's handcuffed to a pole but he's not hurt, just angry."

"I suspect he is. Look around the room. What do you see?"

"It's a big roomlike a warehouseboxes all over the place. There's a door off to the left with windows over it. I don't see anything out the window, I don't think it goes outside."

"You're doing great Dylan. Is there anything distinct in the room, like a machine or a name on one of the boxes?"

"No, nothing."

"Okay, I want you to try something else. Open your sense of smell. Do you smell anything?"

"I smell something sweetlike cotton candy. Smells real good."

"How about sound? Do you hear anything?" Dylan didn't answer, he just sat there.

"Simon, I think he's zoning. I'm going to bring him back"

"Dylan, come on back to mecome onlisten to my voice. That's itopen your eyesgood"

Dylan looked around. He was back in the captain's office. "Uncle Blair, I saw him, I saw him!" He said excitedly.

"You did a wonderful job," Blair said as he hugged Dylan.

"Uncle Blair? I heard something and was listening but the all the sudden everything went blank. What happened?"

"It's called a `zone out'. It happens when you focused on one sense too much. You must have been really listening to something. What did you hear?"

"My Dads heartbeat"

*

Blair sent Dylan back to Jim's desk, reminding him not to turn off the white noise generator. He turned back to Simon.

"Simon, I think I know where Jim is. I worked in a brick factory one summer for my cousin. I remember that when the bricks were cooked they smelled like cotton candy. It's the only place he could bethere aren't any fairs or circuses around this time of year. Where else can you smell cotton candy? There's a brick factory that was just shut down a week ago on the waterfront. With Dylan's enhanced sense of smell he would be able to still detect the odor."

Simon looked at Blair. `That kid amazes me' " All right. It's worth a shot... Lets go"

*
Jim was struggling with the handcuffs when Brackett walked in. "So Ellison, I wonder if that boy of yours will make it. He had 4 hours left."

"What have you done with my sonif you've hurt him so help me I will kill you"

"You're really not in the position to make threats. Don't worry, I didn't hurt your boy. What do you take me for, some kind of monster? No, all he has to do is find you."

"How in the hell do you expect him to do that? He seven years old!"

"The same way you wouldwith your `special abilities'. Don't look so stunnedafter you found me that last time I had to find out what your edge was. It didn't take a genius to figure it out. I am curious, though, to see if the `apple doesn't fall far from the tree' so to speak. So, your son now has 3 hours and 45 minutes to find you, or you die."

"You son of a bitch" Jim said as he struggled to get free. Brackett kicked him in the gut, knocking the wind out of him.

"Don't talk about my mother like that Ellison, I don't like it." Brackett said, and then walked out the door.

*

Simon pulled his car up outside the old factory. As soon as the car stopped, Dylan jumped out and started running to the door. Simon managed to catch him before he got too far.

"Let me gomy Dad's in there, I can hear he heartbeatlet me go!" Dylan kicked Simon in the shin. Simon let go of him to rub the injury, which gave Dylan the chance to run. He almost made it to the door when Blair caught him.

"Stop this now Dylan. We need to be careful. You cannot just go running in there." He looked at Simon as he caught up with them.

"Boy, you just made" Simon started to growl but Blair interrupted. "Simon, now isn't the time for this, you can have him AFTER we find Jim."

"Okay, your right." He turned to Dylan "But don't you think I going to forget that kick young man" Then quietly opened the door. "Okay Dylan, listen to your Dads heartbeat. Can you follow it?"

"Yeah, he's this way"

Dylan let them to door at the far end of the factory. Simon carefully opened it and looked around. It was so dark he couldn't see. "Simon?"

"Jim? Is that you? I can't see you."

"I know, but I can see you, remember?"

"Oh yeah."

"DADDY!" Jim braced himself for the tackle. Dylan threw himself at his father and hugged him around the waist. "I found youyou're okayyou're okay!"

"That you did son. Now, you need to let go of me so Simon can free me and we can get out of here." Jim said.

*

Brackett watched as Jim and his son made their way to the car. `Well, well, well it looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all.That could useful' He said to himself, and disappeared into the night.

*

Later that night, Jim tucked Dylan in bed. "Dad? Can I ask you something?" Dylan asked, thinking about kicking Simon.

"Sure buddy anything."

"Captain Banks' bark is worse that his bite, isn't it?"

"Actually his bark and bite are about the same. Why do you ask?" Jim knew about Dylan kicking Simon, but he decided to let it go. Simon on the other hand wanted a piece of Dylan's hide.

"Well, something happened today and I made him mad Uh, can I ask you something else?"

"You know you can."

"Do sentinel's have the ability to vanish into thin air?" he asked hopefully.

Jim just laughed and ruffled his son's hair. "Good Night Dylan."

"Good Night Daddy."


THE END!!