Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Irrational Fears
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
305
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,669

Just Some Math

Summary:

Characters: Marshall Penfield, Colby/Charlie
Rating: FRK, PG
Summary: Marshall digs himself deeper.
Series: Irrational Fears
Word Count: 300
Disclaimer: Not my characters (except when they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my (smirking) betas.

Work Text:

 

 

Just Some Math
by Irena Adler

"Oof, hey!" Marshall complained, his nose jammed into the table. "Wait, wait!" He turned his head. "I'm unarmed!"

The gun was withdrawn then the metal puzzle plunked down next to Marshall's face. He supposed that it could have looked like a weapon.

"What else do you have?" the man snapped. He reached for the paper that Marshall was still gripping in his left hand and Marshall noticed that the gunman incongruously had leaves on his sleeve.

"Oh, nothing," Marshall said quickly. "Just some math."

Still pinning Marshall easily to the table with one hand, the man looked at the page of notes. His eyes sharpened and Marshall realized that this meathead wasn't as dense as he appeared.

"Just some of Dr. Eppes's break-through work on cognitive emergence."

"I wouldn't say break-through," Marshall snorted. "Rather pedestrian-"

The man twisted Marshall's arm harder and Marshall squeaked in pain. He leaned close to Marshall's ear and said quietly, "There are many military powers that would be thrilled to get their hands on Dr. Eppes's work, especially as it relates to artificial intelligence and smart bombs."

"Smart ... bombs?"

"Stealing Dr. Eppes's theories," the man continued in a calm, matter-of-fact voice that sent shivers down Marshall's spine, "Might even be categorized as terrorism."

"Hey, wait, hold on, that's crazy!"

His voice went even softer, "Crazy is how few rights you have if I decide you're a terrorist. I'm sure they can find a nice comfy cell for you at Gitmo."

Marshall shuddered, fully believing him.

A sound from the doorway made Marshall twist his head that way. Eppsie was standing there.

"Thank God!" Marshall gasped. "Eppsi-Charlie, tell this man that I'm not a terrorist!"

Charlie didn't even look at Marshall, but rather looked past him at the gunman. "Okay, Colby, that's enough."

end

Series this work belongs to: