Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,549
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
5
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
2,486

Top Priority

Summary:

Warrick, Nick and Sara push Greg too far.

Work Text:

Grissom stood outside the DNA lab, watching the scene unfolding. Warrick, Nick and Sara were all in there, each demanding to know why the results from their cases weren’t finished yet. Never mind that Greg was having to pick up the slack from dayshift because the tech was out…again or that he and Catherine were working an armed robbery gone wrong; no, they wanted their results NOW and how dare Greg take care of other cases when theirs clearly took priority. Especially when there was a promotion on the line that both Nick and Sara wanted. Warrick, though normally the coolest and most easy going of the three, was working on a case dealing with a child caught in the middle of a gang shooting, was also riding Greg’s ass about his results, even though DNA wasn’t really a huge part of his case like it was in Nick and Sara’s cases. 

 

He honestly didn’t know how Greg put up with this night after night, he would’ve told them all to go to hell years ago. He wasn’t above sometimes getting on Greg for his results, but not like those three did. He felt bad for him, very few people knew how hard Greg worked in DNA with very little thanks. He not only had to do graveshift’s DNA but he also had to pick up the slack from day and swing shifts because their techs weren’t nearly as good or as efficient.  

 

Grissom sighed and was about to go in to tell Greg to take a break when Sara made a comment that made him pause, “God Greg, you keep acting like this is hard. I’ll bet any one of us could do this in half the time you’re taking.” 

 

Okay, that was the last straw. Grissom was about to step in but Greg beat him to it. 

 

“Fine, if you guys think you can do a better job, be my guests!” Greg stood up and began shoving bag after bag of DNA evidence into Nick, Sara and Warrick’s stunned hands. “Here’s all the stuff for nightshift. Grissom and Cath are working a robbery gone bad. Lots of blood samples that need to be isolated and analyzed so that they can maybe separate possible suspects from the victims. Here’s your guys’ stuff. Oh, and don’t forget the backlog from day and swing shifts since their DNA techs aren’t worth a damn and don’t come in half the time anyway.” He rummaged around for a few seconds before pulling out a large stack of files, “Don’t forget all the paperwork. You’ve gotta have all that done by end of shift, which is in eight hours. If you don’t have it done by then, it’s overtime for you, day off or not.” He smiled with no humor at the three stunned CSIs, “Have fun.” With that, he stormed out of the lab, past Grissom and headed towards the break room. 

 

As Grissom got over his shock at Greg’s uncharacteristic outburst, he couldn’t help but be proud of his young lover; Greg was such a sweet person and wanted people to like him so badly, it was hard for him to stand up for himself. Even at home Greg seldom stood up for himself, even when Grissom’s moods were at their worst and would’ve sent Sara running for the hills.  

 

Suddenly, just as he was about to follow Greg to the break room and let Nick, Sara and Warrick stew over what had just happened, Sara spotted him. “Grissom! Did you see what that slacker just did to us?!” 

 

Grissom sighed and counted to ten before turning back to his fuming criminalists, “Yes, Sara I did. And I heartily agree with Greg. If you three think you can run DNA any better than Greg does by himself, be my guests. By the way, next time I hear of any of you getting on Greg about your results like you’ve done tonight, you’ll be suspended. And, Nick and Sara, it’s a good thing that I still have time to consider who to recommend for Lead CSI, because right now, I wouldn’t recommend either of you.” With that, he turned on his heel and headed towards the break room, leaving three very shocked CSIs in his wake. 

 

Greg was curled up on the sofa in the break room when Grissom got there. Dark brown eyes looked up as Grissom stepped into the room, “You here to yell at me?” 

 

Grissom shook his head, sitting down next to Greg, “No, I’m not here to yell at you.” He got comfortable next to his lover; there were so many things he wanted to say and almost none of them were suitable for the workplace. “I’m proud of you, Greg.” 

 

Greg looked at him in surprise, “Proud of me? For losing my temper?” 

 

Grissom shook his head, “No, although the looks on their faces was pretty funny. I’m proud of you for standing up for yourself.” He reached over and gently stroked a hand over Greg’s arm. 

 

They sat there in silence for a few minutes before Gil spoke again, “How long do you think it’ll take to get graveshift’s DNA done?” When Greg looked at him in confusion, he smiled ruefully. “As much as I’d love to let Warrick, Nick and Sara try and figure out how to run their own DNA samples, I seriously doubt that the director or the DA will find this as amusing as I do.” 

 

Greg laughed, “Yeah, I know. It’ll probably take a few hours at least. Why?” 

 

Grissom nodded, “Here’s what I want you to do; run just the samples for our shift, day and swing will just have to work for their paychecks. As soon as you’re done, go home. I’m pretty sure you’re very close to maxing out your overtime for this month.” 

 

Greg nodded before getting to his feet, “Thanks Gil.” He walked out and headed back to his lab, amidst applause from the other lab techs who had either witnessed the exchange between Greg and the three younger CSIs or had heard about it from others.  

 

The rest of the night passed relatively quietly for Greg. Someone had told Catherine about what happened and she’d teased him that she’d never seen Warrick, Nick and Sara so subdued and she made a point of stopping in and thanking him for working so hard before heading off to Trace. 

 

As for Warrick, Nick and Sara, the two men had come to him as he was getting ready to go home and apologized for their behavior. Sara hadn’t, she’d just given him dark looks when she’d come to get her results. Greg figured that she was probably pissed that Gil hadn’t immediately taken her side like she thought he was supposed to. 

 

So as he headed home, three hours early, he stopped by Gil’s office and saw Sara in there and she was ticked. 

 

“I can’t believe you let Greg get away with that, Grissom!” Greg could tell from the exasperated look on Gil’s face that this had been going on for awhile. 

 

“Sara, did it ever occur to you that maybe you were out of line. You saw for yourself how much work he has to do on his own without a group of people constantly demanding to know where their results are. You, Nick and Warrick had no business being in there bothering him. The only reason I didn’t let Greg go home and leave you three to figure things out on your own is that I doubt the director or the DA would find this amusing and Catherine and I still needed our results done.” He spied Greg and smiled, “Heading home?” 

 

Greg nodded as he stepped fully into the room, ignoring the death look Sara was sending him, “Yeah. Catherine has your results and the paperwork is done.” 

 

Gil nodded, “Okay, go home and relax. You have tomorrow off as I recall.” 

 

Greg grinned, “Yeah I do.” He glanced at Sara’s angry expression and decided to have a little fun. He leaned across the desk and kissed Gil fully on the mouth, “Any idea when you’ll get home?” 

 

Gil grinned back, “As soon as I can, I promise.” He kissed Greg again, “See you at home.” 

 

Greg smiled his beautiful smile and walked out, grinning at Sara’s stunned expression. 

 

As soon as Greg was gone, Sara turned to Grissom, ready to let him have it, but Gil beat her to the punch, “Before you say anything, Sara, the sheriff and director already know about Greg and myself. And if you complain about what happened tonight, I will tell him that you, Nick and Warrick were being a nuisance and that you insulted Greg and his work ethic and in my opinion deserved exactly what you got. Further more, I would tell him that I would not recommend that you be considered for Lead CSI since you’ve clearly shown that you have no understanding or respect for the people in this lab or the work they do.” With that, he got to his feet and headed off to find Catherine so they could wrap up their case and head home. Because waiting at home was his top priority, Greg. 

 

The End.