Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,183
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,269

Time Warped

Summary:

Fandom: Emergency!/Star Trek The Next Generation Crossover
Rated: PG
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Content Warning: None.
COPYRIGHT: NOVEMBER 1999 BY: Wanda
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Time Warped
by Wanda
silvan@bellsouth.net

Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher was studying for his Star Fleet Academy Entrance Exams. He came across an entry under 20th centrury Earth History that truly fascinated him. He became totally engrossed in the subject. Even running a genialogical study on his past until he found what the was looking for.

Wesley smiled widely as he took the printout with him to show his mother. They didn't have one but infact two firefighters in their past. One being a firefighter/paramedic.

He entered sickbay, and walked over to his mother. "Mom, you'll never believe what I've found," the teen bubbled over with enthusiasm.

"What?" Beverly Crusher asked distractedly as she poured over her logs, finalizing the crews medical evaluations for Captain Picard.

"Mom, did you know that we have two firefighters from our past? One was even a firefighter/paramedic!"

"That's nice."

"Mom! Your not even listening to me!"

"Wes," she sighed, "I have to get these reports finished for Captain Picard. Now why don't you run along and I'll talk to you later about this." She busied herself again with her reports.

Wesley left the sickbay sort of downhearted, but suddenly his steps picked up as he headed for the turbolift. He entered. "Holodeck 4," he called to the computer and soon he was at his destination.

Walking over to the Holodeck he programmed the computer, and then stepped into the room. He could smell the smog, something which he had never experienced before. He saw the cars, and heard the honking of the horns as he walked down the sidewalk. Then he saw his destination.

It was a one story building and he walked down the driveway and entered the door to large room, that looked that a kitchen, but there was also a television over on side of room, and a table with chairs. Along the wall sat a long, brown, leather couch with a Bassett Hound lying on it. The animal didn't give him a second glance.

He heard voices coming from another part of the building and followed. He entered a huge bay, and saw two fire department vehicles parked side by side, and a group of men leaning nonchalantly against the engine. One was standing infront of the others reading off a list of things that needed to be done.

Chet cleared his throat, "Uh... Cap," he motioned in Wesley's direction. "The new trainee is here."

Stanley turned around, and noticed Wesley's attire, but didn't give it a second glance. "Welcome to 51's, I'm Captain Stanley."

Wesley took the proferred hand, and shook it. "Wesley Crusher."

Stanley began the introductions with each man nodding as Hank introduced them. "You'll be riding in the squad with Gage and DeSoto." He turned to his two paramedics, "Why don't the two of you show Wesley where his locker's at?"

Johnny jumped as if he'd been daydreaming. "Uh... Sure thing Cap," he led Wesley off to the locker room.

When Wesley walked in he decided that he would need a uniform himself. So he'd have to get the replicator to make him the period uniform, along with the turnouts, and helmet.

"Computer freeze progam." He called as all action within his program stopped. "Arch," a computer archway formed before him. He stepped out and walked down the corridor.

*****

Unknown to Wesley, someone else was taking a great interest in the program at hand. "This will be fun. Jean-Luc, you think you have problems now, just you wait." Laughter filled the room.

*****

Wesley re-entered into his program. This time in the correct uniform. "Computer resume program," he called.

Wesley followed Gage back out to the squad, and he and DeSoto began showing their new trainee all the equipment. Wesley knew some of the rudimentary workings of this equipment, but it was fascinating to say the least. He felt awe and wonderment at the basic equipment a squad carried.

As they began to put the equipment away, the tones sounded. "Station 51... Child trapped... 1125 Conquistador... 1125 Conquistador cross street Carson. Time out 9:20."

All the men scrambled for their vehicles and Wesley stood shocked for a moment not exactly knowing what he was supposed to do. "Come on..." shouted Johnny impatiently motioning to the squad.

Wesley ran over to the vehicle and dived in. He took his seat in between John and Roy. The squad pulled out with the engine right behind, the sirens screaming into the early morning.

Quickly both vehicles pulled up infront of the address which turned out to be an area where the city had been demolishing. Johnny and Roy both jumped out with Wesley right on their heels, and they ran over with Captain Stanley to the crew's foreman.

"I tell ya I don't know what happened. This kid ran into the building saying something about his dog was in there, and before I knew it, the building collapsed."

"Do you have any idea where he might be?" Johnny asked.

"No I don't have a clue."

"Okay guys get your gear, and be careful in there, this structure doesn't look to stable," Stanley ordered.

"Right Cap," John answers, while he, Roy and Wesley run over to the squad, quickly pulling on their turn out coats and pulling out the ropes. Wesley not really knowing what he should do, was just following by example. He figured well if something happened the Holodecks safety protocols would keep him safe. What he didn't know is that someone had turned them off.

Johnny, Roy and Wesley soon found an area where they could squeeze into and slowly made their way through the collapsed building, with Chet, Marco and Mike hanging onto their safety lines. Each man was ready to pull the others out of there if anything happened.

The trio squeezed their way through the collapsed timbers, as bits of dust and debris rained down around them. They soon found their objective. The boy was trapped under a beam. He couldn't be more than eight years old. Lying next to him was him dog.

The boy whimpered as Johnny and Roy lifted the beam off of him, and Wesley grabbed him, pulling him out as quickly as possible. Roy grabbed the dog, and Johnny tucked the boy with him as they carefully made their way back out.

As they reached the opening the rubble shifted, and part of it tumbeled down on Wesley eliciting a scream of pain as a piece of wood pierced his leg. "Computer freeze and save program," he shouted, as the program was cleared and Wesley was left laying on the black floor with a yellow grid pattern on the walls, ceiling and floor.

He tapped his communicator pin which he had tucked away inside a pants pocket. "Medical Emergency Holodeck 4," then he collapsed as unconciousness enveloped him.

*****

"Very good Wesley, you had your first taste of what life was like in that time period," the disembodied voice stated. "But what will you do when faced with the real thing? Hmmm...." Laughter peeled off the walls then was silent.

*****

Wesley was wheeled into sickbay, and Beverly Crusher paled. "Wes," she called urgently. "Can you hear me?"

She was rewarded with a weak, "Mom?!"

"It's alright Wes, your gonna be okay," replied Dr. Crusher as she began to work on her son.

*****

Captain Jean-Luc Picard was alerted to the medical emergency and he entered sickbay. Watching as Dr. Crusher performed a routine surgery on her son. Then he was rewarded by Wesley sitting up and the two Crushers talking animatedly.

He entered the room, and heard Wesley blurt. "But mom, everything was running smoothly but somehow somebody must have turned off the safety protocols. That's how I got hurt."

A flash of concern crossed his face. 'Who would tamper with the safety protocols on the Holodeck?' he thought to himself.

"Wes are you sure?" Picard jumped into the conversation with both feet.

"Yes I'm sure, sir." Wesley sat up straighter as if he had a ramrod for a spine.

"Alright Wes," Picard tapped his communicator pin on his chest. "Mr. Data, I want you and Mr. LaForge to check out Holodeck 4. Seems someone turned off the safety protocols on Ensign Crusher."

He was rewarded with an Aye sir, then Picard turned his attention to Wesley who was holding an odd helmet in his hands. He pointed at and at the odd clothes he was wearing. "What's that?"

"Oh this?" Wesley looked at himself and then smiled up at the Captain. "This is the uniform of a firefighter/paramedic from the 20th century. Well actually from the 1970's."

"Ah." Picard replied slightly interested. He was more interested into finding out who had sabotoged the Holodeck. "I find this all very interesting, but I do believe your shift starts on the bridge within the hour." Picard noted the dust, and dirt on Wes's clothing and face and hands.

Wes hopped of the table, and responded "Yes sir," and he hurried out of the sickbay to go clean himself up, and get ready for his turn at the helm. As he was changing a bright flash of light flared in his room. Wesley had to shield his eyes, then he noticed the figure standing in the room.

"Q?"

"Yes it's me Wesley," Q smiled. "How did your like your little taste of reality?"

"You! Your the one who turned the safety protocols off!"

"Yes I did," Q's smile grew as he vanished and then reappeared beside Wesley. "How would like to experience the real thing?" Q asked.

Wesley had to admit that he was tempted, especially after the little taste of the adrenalin rush. "I can't, Mom and Captain Picard wouldn't allow it."

Q looked hurt, then a sly expression crossed his features. "Come on now Wesley," the man practically purred. "Why do you let those two fuddy duddies spoil your fun?"

"Because I want to go to Star Fleet Academy." Wes answered simply.

Then Q began marching around the room smartly. "So you want to be a robot, or better yet an impersonation of the android Data." He transformed himself into Data.

"You see Wesley. Is this what you want to become," Q stated in Data's precise voice.

Then he changed his appearance again, this time he was dressed as Captain Bligh, and looked like Captain Picard. He again spoke only this time with Picard's voice. "Or do you want to be under Picard's thumb for the rest of your career."

"Get out of here Q!" Wesley shouted, and threw a boot at the other. Q quickly vanished, narrowly missing getting hit by the boot. Then he stuck his head through the bulkhead.

"I'll be back Wesley. One way or another, you'll see my point..." then Q vanished.

*****

Wesley exited the Turbolift and his took his place at the helm. "Wesley," Commander Riker nodded to the acting Ensign. "Captain Picard would like to see you in his ready room."

"Yes sir." Wesley turned and headed over to the Captain's ready room, and stood outside the door. The internal chime going off.

"Come," he heard Picard's distinctive voice.

Wesley entered the room, "You wanted to see me sir?"

"Yes Wesley please sit down." He was holding a pad infront of him. "Wesley I have here, Data and Mr. LaForge's report here on Holodeck 4. They couldn't find any trace of tampering."

Wesley looked down into his lap, then he spoke. "Sir, there's a logical explanation for that. It was Q."

Picard leaned forward wondering if Wesley might be prone to tall tales. Then mentally he dismissed that thought.

"What makes you say that, Ensign?"

"He paid me a visit sir."

"This is just damned lovely," Picard sighed. "Alright Wesley you can go back to your station."

Wesley rose out of his chair, and exited the room.

Picard placed his head in his hands and began rubbing at his temples. "Q," he muttered. "Such a damned nuisance."

*****

There was a flash of bright light off to one side of the bridge. The klaxxons began going off as the computer began "Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!"

Riker stood up and announced, "Q!"

Picard raced out of his ready room, and there stood Q dressed as Wesley had before, in full turnouts along with the helmet sitting in a jaunty angle on his head with the number 51 emblazoned on it.

"Turn off that damned alarm," Picard shouted over his shoulder. "Q! What the hell are you doing on my bridge?!"

"Is that the way you greet a friend? I'd hate to see how you greet an enemy." Q snickered.

"You still haven't answered my question. What in the hell are you doing on MY bridge," Picard stressed.

"Careful Jean-Luc, you'll blow out a blood vessel, and then what will your poor crew do," Q sneered. "I figured I'd show Wesley just what it was like to be in a fire station."

Then Q snapped his fingers and both he and Wesley disappeared.

"Wesley," Riker, Picard, and Deanna Troi all shouted at once.

 

part three soon

 

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Wanda.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.